Can someone explain the appeal of pic related to me?

can someone explain the appeal of pic related to me?

it basically seems like "video game legos" to me, but the kids seem to love it. hell, people in my age range (i'm 29) play it. it seems neat (again, because it's "video game legos", and you can do what you want), but there's something about the game that just doesn't click for me.

It was cool for a while for its novelness, most kids today like it because their favorite ecelebs plays it or something.

You answered your own question. It's exactly as it seems. You might not like it, but other people do.

try time travelling back to 2011 when this question might have been relevant

There was a time when Cred Forums was all over this. Notch posted and got ideas here, people played and had a genuine good time with it. Then things like hunger and such were added, killing the sense of exploration.

I'm with it's lived off the popularity of being the #1 youtube game.

Personally, I enjoy booting it up on occasion to fuck around in and I don't regret my purchase of it years ago.

It's a funny little sandbox game that's also a decent survival crafting game.
The mod scene is interesting, but overall the game's nothing to get worked up about. Just alright.

>It's video game LEGO
>LEGO is one of the best-selling toys of all time
>Video games are becoming increasingly popular and increasingly accessible to the point where you don't even need to leave your house
>LEGO has specific constraints involving space and quantity of LEGO Bricks
>Minecraft provides a virtually limitless world with, in certain game-modes, provides the player with infinite materials

Conclusion:
>Minecraft is a game similar to LEGO that is easily available to people for a single price, but also removes the constraints and "paywalls" that LEGO has.

tl;dr
MC is virtual LEGO without DLC.

You already said it. It's video game legos. If you can't see the appeal of building things like legos then you won't see the appeal of this game.

>There was a time when Cred Forums was all over this.
Tripfag trying to pretend to be an oldfag.

i have a thing for farming, but i'm a city boy born and raised. minecraft is just my way of doing some zen landscaping and farming.

>tfw granaries full of grain, storehouses full of stuff

yeah. i'm figuring i'm not enjoying it as much as others are precisely because i got out of legos around when i left puberty. likewise, i'm not salty because others are having fun with it. i'm just wondering if there's something about the game i'm missing.

fair enough. ecelebs jizz all over the game. i mean the concept is neat, so why not. plus, there are mods to make the game even more entertaining.

>pay $30 or whatever for Minecraft
>essentially have infinite digital Legos
>can do nearly infinite things with these Legos
>can install mods to do even more shit with these Legos

>buy $30 worth of legos
>have enough blocks to make... i dunno, a cool fire truck or airplane or something
>you can do some more stuff with those legos, but you can only combine them so many ways

if i were 10 when Minecraft was released, i'd be all over this

Minecraft is even more popular now than it was when it was first released.

Just cause he's a trip fag doesn't prove him any less wrong

i figure i'm too old to get enjoyment out of the game, even though i used to love playing Legos when I was a kid

fair enough. how you play it kind of reminds me of how/why people obsess over Farming Simulator. they may be city folk (or suburbanites), but there's something comfy about harvesting video game wheat or whatever

>there's something comfy about harvesting video game wheat

i think that's just my hoarder instincts.

i suppose MC helps in that way too.

it just feels great knowing that i've got everything stored away, even my first wooden pick axe on starting the world

The game itself is .. kinda limited (as gameplay / storyline) but very satisfying if you're into constructing just lego like.
Sadly, not the mechanical parts .. man i would love to have the old school lego TECHNIC part in it.

But i also love programming / circuitry so when you have a world or a server you go to often, having automated machines using colossal redstone .. it's fun.
Mods make it even better if you enjoy making a .. yeah basically a giant "breakfast machine".

i've something similar going on with Animal Crossing New Leaf

I still have a bunch of stuff in my museum from when i first started the game, plus some stuff my little cousin gave me and other random stuff i'm too much of a hoarder to throw out.

it's the satisfaction that you can keep on to it, i suppose.

that's true. you can make a lot of neat stuff in MC. i'll admit my imagination is fairly stunted, too (in addition to not being into Lego much any more), so that may hamper my enjoyment of the game.

... they really need to add Technic to the game, too, completely forgot about that line,

>he doesn't like legos

>he likes legos

are you retarded?

Put your trip back on.

>newfags being retarded as usual
bummer.

>you will never experience that thrill of being able to dig a hole ever again

You're too old to play it raw.
Get mods like thaumcraft, mekanism etc..

>tfw Notch would post on Cred Forums with early beta builds
>tfw the Infiniminer drama that came with it
>tfw he stopped updating and became a billionaire

Blockland was better anyway.

>tfw you will never make a game, have it get ungodly popular, and sell it off and be set for life

Look into redstone can doo some cool shit with that, I think someone made an 8 bit cpu inside the game.

Its digital legos, from a pure building aspect, fortress craft evolved is better, but its legos none the less, everyone love legos unless something is wrong with you.

Granted I got a 3d printer so I can make real models of what i make in 3d, so much of the building games lost their appeal to me once that happened.

Not a surprise since you can replicate a transistor with redstone and once you understand a few tricks (i don't even know if they are easier now), you can quickly get how to make a AND/NAND/XOR/XNOR/(etc) gate and experiment.

But shit gets messy real quick and the lag can become massive.

If you're in anyway creative and like making things then it's genuinely a good thing to goof about with

it's honestly really relaxing too

and I think the soundtrack is fucking top tier comfy