Reminder that the Marathon trilogy are still the highest-brow FPSes ever released, and nothing else even comes close

Reminder that the Marathon trilogy are still the highest-brow FPSes ever released, and nothing else even comes close

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n9aoUBGsQ7Y
alephone.lhowon.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=el5yD2Ayokw
youtu.be/wCGeNNvG0Z4
marathon.bungie.org/story/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, no. The gunplay and level design in those games was terrible.

DURANDAL IS A NIGGER
U
R
A
N
D
A
L

I
S

A

N
I
G
G
E
R

Stay pleb

>walk into room
>walk outside room
>mow down each enemy as they walk through the doorway one by one
gameplay!

>terrible gunplay
>Dual-wielding flip-cocking, double-barreled shotguns.

Destiny is better from a scifi story stand point :^)
Halo is better from a design and gameplay stand point :^)

>every video ever made
L m a o

Better a pleb than some delusional special snowflake. Bungie had some neat ideas in those games, but the execution was amature as fuck compared to stuff like Doom and Heretic.

Yeah, Doom is such a shit game amirite

>the AI in every game ever made is "pathfind toward player and attack"

what did he mean by this?

gud taste, op.

Really makes you think

This is true

I downloaded the freeware versions that came out a while ago. Got to a hard part in the first game and gave up. I really want to try again but I have no time anymore.

That are the best weapons and everything else is shit, the end.

Doom, Duke Nukem 3d, Disruptor, just fuck off.

It's fucking awful, dude

>clunky-ass mouselook
>vertical aiming with no crosshair (inb4 le hardcore XD)
>weapon clips with no manual reload

The Aleph One ports also removed weapon hotkeys for some reason. I remember the Windows version of Durandal had them, so why the hell were they not reimplemented?

I don't get it what are you trying to say?

This is now a SystemShock thread,

If you haven't played SS enhanced, get off your dick and do so.

>Destiny
>Story

>Marathon
>highest-brow FPSes ever released

Stay mad user :^)
Not defending the practice of putting lore outside of a game but the lore from Destiny is top notch and easily some of the best Bungie has ever done.

The Marathon trilogy is a great example of what games shouldn't do and how a shitty game series can be popular just because the Macintosh had such a god awful library which was 99% shovelware Macaddict garbage.

Aleph One is generally shit

Marathons alright but its generally for austists
It's difficult to get past the shit gunplay and MSPaint textures just because the game has a few interesting elements

It's cool they're all free now

That the dual shotguns are the only functional weapons in Marathon and everything else is clunky, uninspired and handles like shit. But the most insulting thing is most of the guns have a fucking awful capacity for killing except the shotguns and the meme weapons with their meme foes. Which DOOM handled better on release.

youtube.com/watch?v=n9aoUBGsQ7Y

t.a real fps.

I can't blame Aleph One source port too much for being shit. It's mostly a one-man project. The Marathon community is microscopic compared to Doom's.

This is vidyakino
It does everything in Marathon way better than Marathon

>I could tell of the stories but LOL NO TIME TO EXPLAIN
>Everything in the universe is "The *insert generic term here*"

You can't just slap a veil of mystery onto every single subject, then it feels like you didn't have an original premise to begin with.

>SS
>vidyakino
Just because it's not popular doesn't mean it's good

SS's controls are just shit

Interacting with cyberspace which interacted with the real world, very Kino.

>I haven't read the story
>therefore there is none
I haven't been to China therefore China doesn't exist.

rip good SW games
rip good SW

Enhanced has fixed controls and SS1's controls have been fan fixed as early as '06. But to be honest you were never suppose to circle strafe or rocket jump in SS1. It's all about that operator, sneakin, leanin, managing your magazines and pouches.

It's as /k/ as an early sprite based shooter can get and the free mouse aim is intentional to allow the player blind firing over desks and around walls.

i fucking hate the tau

if i saw a tau i would kill it

>he didn't charge punch his way through the alien hordes

JJARO WERE AT TAU CETI

>It does everything in Marathon way better than Marathon
I mean, you're comparing a game made by a high profile dev under EA to a series made by a small indie Mac dev (at the time).

if the story is so great then why wasnt it in the game

The game has aged like wine if you ask me.
It has various elements of everything from exploration to stealth.
The audio logs and messages from Shodan are intriguing and foreboding.
The music is dynamic depending on the situation.

My opinion is a bit scrambled but to brush it off because the controls are a bit complex is just a shame.

To anyone who's actually read through both game's lore, and not just read through Destiny's Grimoire and read some plot summaries/vague MSP links about Marathon, this couldn't be further from the truth. Marathon's story utterly dominates Destiny's. Destiny's Grimoire has some decent plots and moments but Marathon defeats it in progression, allegory, theming, and obviously technicality as well.

Yes, the Halo trilogy obviously destroys Marathon from a game design perspective but it embarrassingly also destroys Destiny as well. I know it's not what most NuBungie/diehard "started with Halo 3" Bungie fanboys want to hear, but it's pretty much the truth. You can argue subjective points but in terms of objective complexity, buildup, and writing, Destiny is the worst thing Bungie's made in ~30 years.

shit was bad mate

Well I was just responding to OP
I'll admit the comparison is unfair but people still praise Marathon for bizzare reasons.

Has there ever been a game with storytelling like marathon? I mean in terms of all the allegory and mythological parallels and stuff.

Chrono Cross, I guess? Especially if we're talking Marathon Infinity... God that game's plot was batshit insane.

The Halo series for one.

Halo lore pretty much took everything good from Marathon lore and built and expanded on it. There's just more seperation in halo between "lore" and "plot" then with marathon, with most of the lore only either being in the novels or only hinted at in the plots of each game, rather then in Marathon where the lore and the plot/story is more or less the same thing.

There were definitely some design issues, but it was still better than Halo which was in turn obviously also better than Destiny.

Unfortunately it ran like shit when it was new, even on the lower end PPC model Macs.

Storytelling? I don't think so. Story content? The first Deus Ex, System Shock and Planescape come to mind. Though DX was much more referential than it was allegorical
Halo's EU touched on Marathon's level sometimes. Especially ilovebees, IRIS, and Halo 3's terminals

The "story" in all those games is shit and the only reason Halo is popular is because the first game had vehicles and then every game thereafter had a godly advertising budget. The is the truth Bungiefags will never be able to accept.

Yeah, I meant specifically in the style of storytelling. None of the specific content of Marathon's story is unique, but the way it was told definitely was.

House of Leaves actually reminds me of Marathon in some ways (specifically, the allegory and the multiple layers of plot), though that's a book, not a game.

>frogposting

I'm not claiming any of the halo games have a super compelling narrative (Halo 2's and ODSt's is pretty decent though). My post literally goes over how the plot of each halo game is pretty easy to digest for casuals but the underlying lore/novels is/are top tier and not only lives up to but surpasses what Marathon had.

>playing shit normalfag games

>Halobabbies and destibros

best way to play Marathon games in CURRENT YEAR?

good sourceports?

alephone.lhowon.org/

>the underlying lore/novels
But compared to any actual novel it's shit. This is what I don't understand about you fags. It's like praising a game because it has the best Uwe Boll movie.

>but surpasses what Marathon had
Not even close. Well okay Gravemind vs. Mendicant Bias in the Halo 3 terminals was close, but aside from that nothing else borders on Marathon quality in that game

>Marathon
>Normie game
Normies don't know shit about Charlemange or Greek history. They don't know how to interpret allegory. Marathon is almost totally normie-proof.

I really hope those rumors about Bungie reviving the Marathon series are false, nuBungie would just ruin it

>But compared to any actual novel it's shit
The very first prequel book was a good action novel by any standard. It sort of had to be as if it wasn't done well video game tie ins would've been laughed off but that changes nothing

Ahaha, oh wow. It was literally a shitty Doom knockoff skinned over Bungie's first shitty donut steel dungeon crawler that was a shitty knockoff of Wolfenstein for Apple fags.

thanks user!

bookmarked, hopefully I can flesh out the missing chunks of my retro FPS backlog but seeing as I haven't even beat Quake yet I don't see that happening fully ever

>highest-brow
Nah. They just had a really story in a time where most FPS didn't bother.

>thread is mostly comprised of people shitting on Marathon

What the fuck, man. Although it was never really popular here, whenever Marathon was mentioned it was usually regarded with respect. Gameplay-wise, yes it hasn't aged too well, but nearly every other facet of the game is superb.

Would rather have a new Pathways into Darkness

>press M1
>bullets come out of youa'r'e gun
garmplay!

>Press W
>Character moves forward

>Superior in technology, level design, gameplay mechanics and plot
>Shitty knockoff

I love Doom, as it was my 2nd FPS, but you're trying real hard to sound fucking retarded.

They're in the same canon.

It was only superior in terms of plot, the doom engine absolutely curbstomped bungie's engine in terms of speed, characters on screen and map size. I love both series but the doom engine was a miracle at the time.

Cred Forums goes through fads and praises things it doesn't understand. It was a shitty game with lots of "lore" shoved into it that wasn't special by any means.
>it hasn't aged too well
I still remember when it came out. It was bad then and it's bad now. People didn't start pretending to like it until way after it's release.

What do you mean by allegory

While it's true that the board has its hipster cycles of guilt, you sound like you never touched any of the marathons. Stop discussing games you never touched, attention whore.

Well yeah, because Carmack is literally a wizard.

Marathon did have one advantage, which was the ability to have multiple sectors occupying the same coordinates, which could be used to create the illusion of multistory 3D space (or non-Euclidian space).

>Superior in technology, level design, gameplay mechanics and plot
It was superior in none of those facets. There is a reason people still play Doom today while Marathon's fanbase is a bunch of faggots who didn't play either game. I bet you're just some edgy halokid trying to sound like you know what you're talking about because there is no fucking way anyone could think marathon held a candle to Doom's level design or gameplay mechanics. You'd have to be completely fucking retarded to actually believe that.

Quake is great, try your best user. Also look up Unreal Gold, GOAT FPS; take Metroid's atmosphere and Quake's gameplay (albeit a tad bit slowed down) and you've got a great game. Awesome soundtrack too.

does destiny have any marathon refs in it?
still haven't touched it since it was new back 2 years ago

That you have to go back to fucking Cred Forums and stay there.

I had pic related for a good portion of my youth and believe me, I played plenty of it, probably more than you ever did. It's a garbage game and Doom stomped the shit out it.

Max Payne, probably

Relax, autismo. The only one guilty of sperging out like you mention in your post is you yourself.

A1 engine advantages over iD tech 1
>superimposed floors/ground levels
>environmental liquid interactivity on player movement
>rising and falling tides
>landscapes
>capable of 16-24 bit color rendering
>complex/dynamic lighting
>4-channel, 16-bit audio samples at 22 kHz and active stereo panning
>secondary fire
>vertical look

The reasons Doom is much more popular are because everyone and their mom played Doom back in the day. It also had the massive violence/satanic imagery controversy surrounding it, which works wonders for marketing. It also helps that many office and uni networks mostly functioned on a DOS platform, which allowed for easy LAN hookup, boosting its popularity among computer nerds.

That said, the Marathon trilogy gives me some mad fucking motion sickness. Only FPS that does that to me.

> I played plenty of it, probably more than you ever did. It's a garbage game
Do you realize how dysfunctional you sound?
"I kept doing something I didn't enjoy at all and didn't need to do, while a better alternative was available."

How many of the books have you read?

Not really. most of the halo novels are actually pretty decent firmish sci fi even judged as their own thing.

The forerunner triology is actually really, really damn good sci fi/cosmic horror, even compared to some of the top examples of the genre

Why would you play it so much if it was garbage? I think you're either lying or embellishing your opinion in an attempt to start shit between Doom fans and Marathon fans, which is pretty fucking stupid considering that most people who actually played PC games in the early nineties are fans of both.

Isn't there some console war thread you can fling shit in?

Damn, that's actually a good example.

Correct

>Why would you play it so much if it was garbage?
Because there was nothing else. Apple didn't have shit for games at the time. There wasn't even any good Pangea games out yet if I remember correctly. Apple games were so fucking bad I started working when I was 12 so I could afford a console.

youtube.com/watch?v=el5yD2Ayokw

Even Halo 4 is better.

youtu.be/wCGeNNvG0Z4

I always found it kind of boring.

I'M OUTTA AMMO!

>Relax, autismo
Did I hurt your fee fees?

None of those "advantages" actually mattered. It's a classic example of style over substance. Doom's engine packed heat where it counted.

Thanks for the non-argument.

>no fix for the janky ass mouse look
Only thing stopping me desu

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

Activision.

What was the best one off enemy faction and why is it Shadow Company?

Worth dealing with them just to hear them talking shit about the SAS and the radio chatter.

Think you have the wrong thread

How do you get Pathways working correctly on a modern machine?

If you have access to a Mac, there's an official port available free on the Mac App Store.

Otherwise, you'll need to get a Mac OS Classic emulator going and run it through there.

marathon has bigger story than 90% of the games today
marathon.bungie.org/story/
>space opera with enough allegory you need a PHD in history, mythology and theology to decipher.
>actual characters with depth and not edgy slayer of satan
>3d environments with with liquid physics
>actual aiming rather then shoot in general direction

That game was three decades ahead of its time

(And yes, I know it only came out 23 years ago)

I would pay for a remake of the trilogy, wish bungie would remaster them.

>wanting Activision to touch Marathon

well back then i feel bungie had more into their games, labour of love and all. It's hard to put your mark on a game when you are just a cog in the machine.

yeah, guess times change and industry with it better to have loved and lost i suppose.

Yeah, there are only 10 people listed in the Marathon credits; 12 in Marathon 2 (plus the band that did the title theme). I can't find the info for Infinity, but I doubt it could have been much bigger, especially considering that it reused 2's engine.

Halo CE's is long enough that I can't be assed to count them, and it only gets longer from there.

>On a mac
>Try to download Pathways into Darkness
>Keeps saying my Apple ID is disabled
>Even after I updated the password, did all the new shit and even put a credit card on file
What the fuck apple, why must you interfere with my nostalgia?

>Duel wielding
>Secondary fire
>.44 mag pistols oiled with the blood of the underclass
>Meme duel wield double barrel shotguns with a reloading mechanism your primitive human mind couldn't grasp
>10/10 GOTY

>the highest-brow

Not dude-brow enough.

Well shit. I don't know a thing about virtual machines. I just wanted to give the game a try, seemed really interesting, and there's not much about it online. Not even a single complete LP on youtube.

So why didn't that AI escape the end of the universe?

>ADAPT TO SURVIVE: BRANCH OUT INTO SKILL TREES SUCH AS 'SECURITY GUARD' AND 'CYBORG' TO GAIN THE ADVANTAGE AGAINST THE PHFOR
>ACQUIRE NEW TECHNOLOGY: DURANDAL'S TECH CRATES PROMISE MILLIONS OF UNIQUE VARIATIONS ON DEIMOS' ORDNANCE
>A DDYNAMIC, BRANCHING STORYLINE: WILL YOU BE THE COLONISTS' SAVIOR OR THEIR GREATEST NEMESIS?
>STARRING MARK HAMILL AS DURANDAL, AND TROY BAKER AS "THE SECURITY GUARD"

>PRE-PURCHASE MARATHON TO GAIN ACCESS TO TYCHO'S SECRET STASH

You don't know if he does or not, what he was saying was that in those final moment he understood what you the player was, you were destiny

If he did escape I can't imagine why he'd talk about how he once thought to escape in past tense like that, then go on to talk about the final closure.

None of you niggers talking about our man Blake.

At the point durandal had merged with an ancient sph't AI and was kinda fucky

I played a little of the first game on a friend's mac back in the day, but I was all about Duke Nukem at that point and didn't really want to appreciate it.
From what a saw it looked like another keycard shooter but slower and with worse graphics.
Granted I was very biased, what are the pull of these games? From reading this thread I'm interested but not sold.

Don't even joke about that

>>clunky-ass mouselook
>>vertical aiming with no crosshair (inb4 le hardcore XD)
>>weapon clips with no manual reload

>fucking before 2000

anyone who says Doom pioneered anything but shits on marathon is a fucking pleb and deserves to be murdered straight up

The story, really. It came out around the same time as System Shock and did a similar thing, though instead of logs it was public access computer terminals.

That said, the storytelling is like nothing else I've ever seen in a video game. It's wrapped in allegory, in allusions to myth and history and theology. There are still corners of the Internet where Marathon fans debate exactly what happened in the third game, over twenty years on.

The shooting isn't as good as Doom's, admittedly (except for the dual-wieldable shotguns in Marathon 2 and Infinity, which kick absurd amount of ass), but it's got great atmosphere and it's a lot more approachable than, say, System Shock.

Also, all 3 games are open-source.

alephone.lhowon.org/

even durandal could not explain the way you reload those things while dual weilding

They work on the principle of kicking ass. The act of doing the flip-cock is so cool that the laws of physics bow down and teleport shells directly into the chamber.

So which scenario do you guys prefer, Eternal or Rubicon? Personally, I liked Rubicon more because of those weird, fucky dream sequences. Also, fighting human enemies was also pretty cool.

I don't remember much of Eternal, but I do remember enjoying it. I seriously ought to replay them again.

Myth and Myth 2 were Bungie's best games

You know, I haven't actually played any Marathon mods. What would you recommend?

The two I mentioned are generally regarded as the best, at least plot-wise. They're a lot like Infinity where you jump from timeline to timeline.