Should shotguns be realistic and work at a long range or be nerfed to be only close range weapons?

Should shotguns be realistic and work at a long range or be nerfed to be only close range weapons?

>Realistic
Or
>Video game

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f604TF11pEI
youtube.com/watch?v=H2KhI7aHLqU)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Considering a bulk shot is effective at 50 meters, I'm leaning towards realistic.

Depends on type of game. Arena esque shooters should keep inaccurate shotguns that delete at close range, while more realistic shooters should try to find a healthy balance between video game-y shotguns and real shotguns

Why can't i mount a sniper scope on shotguns, Crysis allowed me to do it.

>dat gun

I suggest we begin emailing Metro Developers to put this gun into the metro series.

You might like this gun too then.

Balance should always take precedence over realism. Fuck you /k/fags, you're normally pretty cool but your gun autism has no place in weapon balance.

Shotguns should only be realistic if rifles are allowed to be realistic as well.

Is this for real?
Looks kinda shady cool-like

OP Here.

The gun is a homemade pistol that someone in Brazil made? If i remember correctly. I downloaded it with a bunch of similar ork Brazil weapons.

>The Type-52 Mauler is used by the Jiralhanae as a handgun, although human military experts have classified it as being more of a handheld shotgun than anything else. The magazine holds 5 7.9mm metal bolts, which appear to be constantly kept at superheated temperatures before being fired. These bolts appear to fragment upon being ejected from the weapon, creating a scatter-shot effect reminiscent of human shotguns. Like all Jiralhanae weapons, the Mauler is equipped with a small blade underneath, making it a formidable melee weapon.

>Handheld, Single Handed, (Dual Wieldable)

>(Dual Wieldable)

The way Doom's shotgun functions is my favorite in any game.

>be realistic and work at a long range
Shotguns don't work at long range you tard. Maybe if you're shooting slugs, but they aren't made for long range. They are made for skeet shooting and home defense. And skeet shooting usually uses spread shot which increases the likely hood of the target being hit for the lack in time to take aim.

STALKER does it right by having slug ammo be relatively accurate while still being close range. And spread shot be shitty range but fucks shit up at close range. Most video games have accurate depictions of shot guns as far as spread and range, but don't give them as much firepower/damage as they should really have.

To be fair most games also let you survive multiple rifle tounds to the torso without falling limp, wounds to the gut and legs as anything but absolute terror as you fall to the ground writhing and screaming in agony.

Please post moar oh great OP! I just nerd out a lot with home made and unusual guns.

About shotguns, i feel like the shotguns in Spec Ops: The Line felt right and the spread wasn't ridiculous either.

To this day old school Insurgency (haven't played the remake) and ARMA are the only games where I've seen the most realistic gun mechanics.

For multiplayer purposes it should be short range. Make it as long as you want for long range. Or just don't make it an instakill.

youtube.com/watch?v=f604TF11pEI Do you like Jorge?

Shotguns are short ranged, but most games make them totally useless past like 20m. That's a little over the top.

Jesus I'm dumb
Make it as long as you want for Single Player*

Really depends on the ammo they are using. Most games probably use spread shot which would be the most appropriate thing to choose. That shit really can go literally anywhere. It's not like it shoots in a straight line. The second it leaves the barrel there's a whole lot of places those little beads can go. But yeah, at 20m you'd probably get a few hits on someone.

Why would someone use birdshot against humans wearing body armour?

Good. Lawd.
I do now.
That giant echoing *DOOSH!*
It's like Thor just laid down a DIY blueprint of wrath into that guy's hands.

This is his most powerful project. He usually makes a bunch of rubber-powered weapons.

Never played them but hward good things. The biggest issue with realism in shooters is much the same as realism in anything. Sim games remove much of what makes gaming fun. Some games lend to realism better of course, such as racing games, but most shooters simply aren't all that entertaining when made to be accurate to real life.

In the majority of shooters that are popular today the sightlines and maps are rather small compared to some of the more ambitious from the previous decade. Perhaps decades, even. Very few games represent something like a sniper rifle accurately, much like they fail to represent a heavy machine gun or explosive accurately. I'm all for better shotguns but you'd have to tweak all other guns to suit that change, which eventually removes all unique aspects from them.

In singleplayer I want murdercannons, however.

Really depends on the circumstances. In your case you wouldn't. But then again most games don't even give different ammo choices for guns.

Nerfed. We don't need to continue glorifying guns in games. It's the reason the US is so obsessed with shooting black people and kids.

Shot will still be super tight at 20m, and that's not even the issue anyway. The real problem is the damage dropoff a lot of games have so shot does practically nothing outside close range no matter how much of it hits.

Idunno. Personally I'm a big fan of one shot kill in shooters. If you get the drop on someone, you should get the kill. It's dumb in some games where you can come up behind someone and shoot them right in the back but they have time to turn around and still kill you at 5hp or whatever.

lol fuck outta here

>Nerfed. We don't need to continue glorifying guns in games. It's the reason the US is so obsessed with shooting black people and kids.
Your on the wrong board.

Your suppose to be on Cred Forums for discussion of that type of nonsense.

And that's fine. Most games fail at making that fun, however, as without knowledge of maps and positioning OHKO gameplay due to the unfortunate realities of programming fails. Is he behind dirt or impenetrable wall of texture? Is his head actually out of cover or is the modeling that off and so on. I'd like more of them but they're too risky for big pubs and too slow/fast for the current shooter market. Even CS fails at this and people tout it as still being the most hardcore. I'd personally rather see powerweapons as a whole return to shooters but that's just me.

If he had his back to you and you had equal health, how come he killed you at 5 HP? You should have killed him with that kind of advantage already.

>If you thought the Taurus Judge line couldn’t get any better, you have to see this. The new Raging Judge Magnum shoots the .454 Casull round in addition to delivering the same popular combo revolver of the original Judge models, and packs a giant 6-round cylinder. Besides added capacity, the Raging Judge features the famous red “Raging Bull” backstrap for added cushioning and will be available in both 3-inch and 6-inch barrels.

You can in Battlefield 3 and 4.

*Squees internally*

>if you thought the Taurus Judge line couldn’t get any better

I was just about to mention those in a different context.

Shotguns are overrated and misunderstood in video games. Shotguns fill a really tiny niche of utility. The rest of their usage is hype and nonsense by uninformed gun nuts.

Shotguns were amazing once. Specifically before 1950 or so when most of our handguns were using old as rounds based on 19th century bullshit. At that time the 12 gauge shotgun was the only solution available to deliver big power upper close. Rifle rounds are brutal and all, but most of those power is wasted flying off after over penetrating when used on a person.

A 454 Casull can deliver 10-25% more energy than a 12 gauge buckshot round, assuming all the pellets hit. If you only hit with 5 out of 9 pellets you're in weak .44 magnum energy range. Each of the pellets from a 12 gauge buckshot round is a .33 ball hitting with less energy than a .380 ACP (172 ft/lbs vs 200 ft/lbs)

12 gauge slugs would seem to be the answer, but alas, they fair no better. The 19th century tech that is the basis of the 12 gauge shotgun can throw an ounce of lead, but it's still traveling relatively slowly. Easily matched by the .454 Casull again.
(with video demo: youtube.com/watch?v=H2KhI7aHLqU)

The 12 gauge advantage is in things less tangible in video games. It's a fucking intimidating looking weapon. It has comparatively tame recoil compared to the handguns which easily eat it's lunch in terms of power delivered.

shotguns are good out to 100m with 00 buck
not accurate but the projectiles will kill at that range
in most games a distance of 100 meters is rare

The projectiles will wound you mean.

Realistic, do not include semi-autos.

Solved.

Alternatively realistic + adjustable choke in loadout so you can choose for yourself.

Something far, far, more realistic than what they do in Far Cry. You can't hit shit beyond two car lengths with shotguns in that game.

Damage falloff is one thing, but having the range be that damn short before shots simply don't register is bullshit

Don't give a fuck. Just make them satisfying to use.

100m? Not a fucking chance. Buckshot is 9 pellets, each weaker on it's own that a shot from a pocket size .380 ACP.

Buckshot would be unlikely to bring down a whitetail deer beyond 32m.

user, make sure you use Halopedia as your Halo wiki of choice, not the Halo wiki on Wikia

Halopedia has much higher editing standards and is actually staffed by the people who had been running the Halo wiki back when it was the only one like a decade ago

BF draws the line pretty well imo. You can still hit anything at range, but it won't do much damage. Even if it's useless outside of medium range, i'd rather have that than not hitting anything outside of 20ft.

You should only be able to use it effectively at close to medium range though. That's what makes shotguns fun to use. It forces you to change your playstyle.

>Really depends on the ammo they are using.

And most games load their shotguns with cotton candy.

So they're basically aping the S&W Governor?

Shotguns are also more novice-friendly than handguns. Pistols of any kind require good aim and prior practice to get consistent results with, and are harder for newbies to get the hang of than rifles or shotguns, primarily because the removal of a stock makes proper hand bracing essential. In contrast, shotguns can be learned relatively quickly.

While this may be true, people have an overall easier time with ARs than shotguns, especially women.

Realistic, this should be countered by low ammo capacity and slow reloads though

>people whine about shotguns being somewhat useful in BF at close range
>no one cares that assault rifles still kill someone in under a second up close while still being effective out to several hundred meters
Shotguns and SMG's should shit on everyone up close in games like Battlefield, and assault rifles should be given more utility at range to compete with snipers.

But user, assault rifles are evil and should be banned!

Really though, that stigma combined with the fact that shotguns are more widespread amongst private gun-owners means that most beginners are going to start out with a shotgun. That's part of why the idea of shotguns being powerful started to spread; seeing the target get obliterated by buck-shot is a pretty strong memory for someone just starting out, and it's likely to stick with them.

Agree completely. I've been at the range side by side with my .454 casull and a mid-tier 12 gauge. The shotgun is a dream to shoot by comparison. It's just not something that video games bring across very well.

My example is based on the most absurdly powerful handgun which is actually widely used. The gun is far beyond what most shooters will ever have the recoil tolerance or wrist strength to shoot accurately.

Which isn't surprising given it's a weaker cartridge and has an excellent gas system for reducing perceived recoil.

>taurus
>good

The Rising Storm trench gun is one of the guns that I feel portrays shotguns realistically.
>Jap nip nonging with arisaka by D
>Fucking buckshot 107m
Boners.

Just pure boners.

Yeah, but what if just want your gun to not be shit in your single player game?

That's fine but you wouldn't want it to completely overshadow every other gun. Realistic shotgun damage only makes sense in a game with realistic rifle damage, and then you're one, two-shotting people with centre mass hits out to however far.

I think that for all shooters in general, the "one shot one kill 5-foot-range" paradigm is very bad and doesn't help the game be fun in any way.

Realistic shotguns have a place in every kind of game. Burst damage and moderate spread that is enough to hit things at a distance but reduces the amount of aim needed; those are the two characteristics that are needed for it to work exactly like the short ranged cousin of the typical videogame sniper rifle. Of course every weapon in any game needs to have its performance tailored to the size and overall shape of the game's maps but it shouldn't be hard to find a happy medium.

Every game that forces shotguns to be essentially melee weapons really ruins their utility and the variety in gameplay, especially since we still live in a world where latency and the peeker's advantage remains a serious issue.

Borderlands 1 is an example of a game where there were shotguns were done well and there were viable options for every possible playstyle for the shotgun, whether it was a semi-joke boss weapon with basically no chance to hit anything out of point blank, or a super accurate combination of parts that goes far beyond reality and competes with sniper rifles, or a semi auto Hyperion or S&S that just serves as a general workhorse that is viable against MGs / burst rifles yet retains the subtle quality of being better up close and worse from afar.

Play a real shooter. Let the shitty die at 50m, I'll be on a hill 2km out flying a bullet into your head. He'll, I'll just pull out my ASP and take you out from 300m.

Or you can keep playing your shitty auto health regen, auto aim, win the knife and gun fight with the knife baby shooters.

>TFW you put a scope on the shotgun in Crysis

Even if a shotgun is effective at range, it's still almost always preferable to use a rifle. If you're shooting for realism you would never choose a shotgun over a rifle for shooting at range.

You're retarded. What are you even arguing here? Oh you can deliver more energy with another gun? That's great, it doesn't change the fact that a shotgun is a effective killing tool at range despite the way it is portrayed in video games.

Yeah, so your game should model that. How does your game model that if shotguns are OHKing out to 100m?

What are some games where shotguns have a solid slug alt-fire of some kind?

>muh force
Hit points aren't a representation of real life quality, just an abstract measurement of overall damage.
Being hit in one spot really hard is usually less dangerous than being hit in multiple spots less hard.

I never suggested that, only that they should be a viable option at range. If you wanna 'OHKO' as you say at a distance then yeah, use a rifle. But there's nothing wrong with making shotguns effective at the very least.

Not really, because 'getting hit in one spot really hard' usually means you're haemorrhaging internally and possibly have broken bones-- if not just a gaping hole in you. Force absolutely matters.

When will video games be able to simulate the internal human body? Conventional HP would be a thing of the past.

Does Sniper Elite V3 count?

>*rattles*

Too bad it's actually shit ingame.

i too love doom's shotgun sniper rifle

>the "one shot one kill 5-foot-range" paradigm is very bad and doesn't help the game be fun in any way.
Except shooters when you have more than 2 weapons :^)

ITT: most people don't know shit about guns in real life.

a rifle round still stops a man pretty much just as well as a shotgun round at point blank. realistically, only a few statistical outliers are gonna present a threat to you after being shot that close.

what they NEED to do is add weapon inertia. the idea that you can just spin a gun and perfectly aim it in all 360 degrees is pretty ridiculous and is what makes shotgun balancing so messy.

unaimed shotguns should have low weapon inertia, to make them useful in close quarter combat over rifles. rifles should, unaimed, be heavy inertia. ironsights should not effect the guns accuracy at all, but the SIGHT picture should jump around more, for the rifles
this way, you can keep the one shot dropping power rifles and shotguns would usually have in point blank, but make shotguns more desirable at said ranges

oh yeah, that outdated arcadey style of game that everyone no longer plays because its dated

Something inbetween. Recent Battlefield games do it right.

At no point should pellets literally disappear.
That's beyond retarded.

It's not, actually. You're just a scrub who can't use anything that isn't a power weapon.

git gud

Why is Taurus seen as bad?

Planetside 2 has fun shotguns

>tfw you put a scope on everything
3.4x scopes, they're simply the best magnification for everything.