What can devs learn from the failure of Street Fighter V?

What can devs learn from the failure of Street Fighter V?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/778634323524198400
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dont think fighting games have a growing audience as much as other genres because they take more patience than other games. Sf4 was big because it was the first 3d sf that didnt look like absolute shit. It attracted all the existing fans.

>because they take more patience than other games.

They take more practice and aren't as rewarding. It usually comes down to a few viable characters and it all ends up feeling same-y.

That SFIV was a better game

Only focus on casuals exclusively.

Don't focus on core gamers exclusively.

For this generation change is bad.

focus on not being like Capcom

input lag is bad
(see also smash bros 4 wii u where input lag is bad)

if you're going to make a fighting game
>don't add 8 frames of buffering
>don't make it missing 70% of its functions on release
>don't make it full-price with a free to play model
>don't release all of your updates late
>add a proper punishment system so people don't rage-quit online
>don't make your models look like retarded clay garbage

a successful fighting game needs epic cutscenes and lots of single player content

>failure
I dont expect any fighter but MKX to outsell SFV this gen.

Don't release a game incomplete. SFV needed another year of development.

Don't be a smug jap shit and think you're above releasing a complete game on launch.

Everyone looks weird standing up straight and they ruined alex's hair. RUINED IT

Actually finish the game before releasing it?

Also have more than 12 characters on release.

Cant wait for tekken

Release a complete game next time Ono.

Don't listen to the community
There was tons of community imput which lead to the shit that was SFV, like a weak roster, game design. In the end, the FGC wants the best but ultimately doesnt work. I specifically remember guys like Ultradavid saying the roster in the new game should be small. Dumbing down the game to get new players is impossible because fighting games take skill. You either have it or it takes years to produce.

More like because the fanbases are faggots that destroy any upcomings before they have a chance.

Smash is the only fighting game worth playing.

SFV's gameplay is casualized as fuck. It definitely isn't a game for core fans either.

/thread

Release complete games and make sure there's as little lag as possible

>samefag

This user gets it.

Also ditch Capcom's servers and rely on GGPO running on Steam/PSN instead.

And make the gameplay more varied and exciting. I'm so fucking bored of this game now.

Do it like GG Xrd

>What can devs learn from the failure of Street Fighter V?
Namco is already learning by pushing T7 to 2017 so they can actually release it in a complete state.
Look above.

nope

I don't think it can be called a failure when games like GGXrd:Revelator and KoFXIV exist.

Tekken might be a better game, but it wont outsell SFV.

KOFXIV had low expectations out the door anyway. Nobody really cares about Guilty Gear except for the 5 people Daisuke mentioned at a fan meet. SFV sold way less than they expected and people go by "5000 entrants at EVO" as a good sign when nobody can expect those numbers to persist.

It most definitely can when the SF brand is a worldwide phenomenon while Kof and GG have always been niche.

Capcom expected to sell two million copies and they marketed it accordingly. It hasn't even sold 1,4 millions so now you can buy a physical copy of the game for $20.

But then again, not counting marketing costs, SFV was probably done for cheaper than both Xrd and koF14 judging by its content.

>but it wont outsell SFV.
Tekken 6 sold 3.5 million copies despite a lackluster reception. Even low-balling Tekken 7's sales, it will outsell SFV.

That they should have done something instead of another Street Fighter.

What they "can" learn? They can learn that releasing such an unfinished product is a mistake so they'll make sure they'll release a better packaged game next time.

What they'll actually learn? Fucking nothing, this is Ono's era of SF.

Explain how the fuck the focus attack and comeback ultra make SFIV a better game.

Like that wouldn't have been something they'd ruin with their lackluster talent and modern business shenanigans either. Modern Capcom should make its own IP rather than try to farm more products from its old guard IP that it doesn't understand as well as the old talent that left them did.

Ono can't really do shit especially since he's just a producer. He is basically the intermediate between a bunch of suits and the directors and designers. Which is a less important job in Japan than it is in USA since it's basically an asskissing job.

That really depends on the game. SF had a history of having varied characters(if you dont count shotos that is, even if they are different), what you describe is more of a MK9/X thing.

Fighting games are still kind of niche, don't overstimate their popularity.
Don't sell fucking incomplete games.
Exclusives are a mistake.
Appeal your fans or don't, but you cannot serve two masters at once.
Street Fighter IV was a fucking fantastic game.

>Street Fighter IV was a fucking fantastic game.
Elena immediately knocks it down a peg from fantastic to great

>Street Fighter IV was a fucking fantastic game.

woah, woah, woah. Dont get ahead of yourself. SFIV was fantastic post AE patch 2012. It was a clusterfuck of bad decisions and balancing before that. It took the game 6 years to be good.

I agree with you tho, Ultra is fantastic and me and a few friends ditched V to keep playing it.

I disagree, cuz everything needs changes to adapt to new things

?? it works fine

I don't even mind that some features took a while. It's not like a AAA game you play once. I intend to play it for years.

so many kiddies acting hardcore by saying SF4 was better. 1 frame links are incredibly fucking gay and and vanilla SF4 was full of sagat fireball spam all day even high level tournaments

Ah, well, yeah, I should have specified. Street Fighter IV was terrible at launch.

But you would have thought Capcom had learned after that, but no, turns out they didn't.

Elena? I can understand why you don't like playing against her or watching people play her, but I don't think she affects the quality of the game.

I'm not sure if adding slow mo and supers is good for Tekken 7.

>1 frame links are incredibly fucking gay
Git gud, faggot.

And Street Fighter IV was the better game, even Vainilla with all the balancing clusterfuck was still a better game.

isnt that what league and dota is? hell even overwatch did hero stacking so it was only like 3-4 different heroes in a tourney and they had to change it in competitive so it will be only one of each in a team. If anything atleast street fighter iv had diversity.

>?? it works fine

i loved iv too but im glad its over and we got V plus i also do alot better in this game then iv...ive beaten art, flash,801 strider , and snake eyes in this game....i never even gotten close in IV

How fucking good are you at this game? What's your rank? Hours played?

>801 strider
you mean 2-0 strider ?

I can understand why you would be happy with it if that's the case. That's great about new cycles in Fighting Games, everyone gets a fresh start.

But that doesn't mean we got a better game. I have never lost a match in Pokken, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go around saying how it is the best fighting game out there just because I do great in it.

i wish i could play US and Japonese players, i legit think i could steal some sets against some pros

Copies sold isn't relevant. It's all about profit and SFV is a failure in that area.

Killer Instinct is F2P and continued to make money as you must buy to play new characters. SFV has a grinding system making it pointless to ever pay for more characters. The hardcore player base wants the new characters and they grind daily. Meaning your dedicated userbase who you guarantee money from isn't giving you a single extra cent.

i'm ranked super plat right now but i usually stick to battle lounge as for hours....plus the 80 in the beta. I plaid the 20 bucks to fight l.i. joe but still haven't gotten contacted yet.

>he paid 20 fight money just to get a match against someone and get beaten
lmao

I have 300 hours played and still in Gold. For fucks sake.

SFV is making lots of money on its costumes DLC. Also FM is running dry these days so people tend to buy characters aswell. I think the CPT DLC generated like $300k in revenue for Capcom. And that's just one overpriced DLC pack.

From SFV, fighting game devs should learn that they shouldn't gut games mechanically to appeal to casuals. Instead, they should work towards including single player content because that's what pulls the casuals in instead.

Casuals will stick to a game if it has enough things to do and they mostly aren't deterred too much by complexity because they just watch and try to imitate what the pros do.

SFV tried to pull as many people in as possible just by making the game simple as fuck and they introduced hinderances to keep pros from playing too safely or "lame."

i'm not saying its the best. I feel like once more characters comes out and some balance patches come out though people will like the game a lot more...That being said i was also a beast at cross tekken...so i guess I'm destined to be good at games no one likes.

i didn't play him yet it was for that crowd funding tourney they did my friends were like you should do it..so i said fuck it i just got paid from my distributor and 20 bucks is like nothing.

I call bs on it being cheaper. Sony paid for exclusivity and the game to be a big team rush job. SFV would be the most expensive Fighting game ever made. They aren't making more money and they are locked in to making more characters every year.

Sony lost massively money wise on this game.

finish your fucking game before you release it

It's not a big team. It's most likely a skeleton crew. Or the team is greatly incompetent. Because the pace they've been patching the game at, tells of a team that is under severely manned or incompetent. The Xrd PC port was done by one guy and that was a better PC port than the PC version of SFV.

They probably spent a ton marketing it though. And that's where I imagine Sony lost dough.

Never try to please both the pros and casuals with inane shit

That you don't claim to make proper neutral-focused game and then gut the neutral game in favor of jump-ins and dash ins. That netcode is the most important feature in modern fighting games and making any stuttering only felt for one player is the most awful thing you can do. That you can't throw casuals into online mode without any other features and expect them to stay motivated. That you don't just erase zoning because stupid morons think it isn't "hype". That the result of going for accessibility shouldn't be homogenization.

nope, played league since Season 2, i can assure that with more of 100 characters you can manage to create some rad strategies and builds.
Stopped playing like 6 months ago because i got bored.
Worst thing it's the community because you rely on your teammates.
Atleast in fighting games there will not be an selfish faggot ruining your fun.

By being a complete game for one

>tfw 100 hours and can't stay silver more than 2 matches
Come on I know I'm better than that but then lags and spaghettis happen

Keep at it bro, eventually you will get there.

it took me 50 to be ultra gold before quitting SFV for good

I hope V kills SF so that other fighters actually have a chance.

if V (and SF by extension) dies then every fighting game dies. I think you guys fail to see this.
Rev is already dead like it has ever been with GG, KoF XIV will die in a year at best. If V fails to get its shit together in season 2 then FGC in general is bound to die

Make sure your game comes with story mode to appease the normies.

Capcom sponsored tourneys are going to die. People will keep playing FGs and making tourneys, hell they can even revive a dead game if needs be.
The scene woulnt be getting that many people tho, it would dry out eventually.

>didn't even mention killer instinct
damn i really wanted to like KI but was too jewish.

Pretty much this...unless a new marvel comes out if V doesn't get its act together FGC is done.

Who's fucking READY for tomorrow?

Idiots.

SF players are unfortunately more likely to play games like Overwatch over fighting games like KoF and GG.

SF dying only hurts the genre since SF players don't generally venture outside of their comfort zones.

nice argument

this.
A new MVC with polished mechanics could revive this shit.

>What can devs learn from the failure of Street Fighter V?

once you get a dumb enough hardcore base you can release shit and still make mad bank

I thought it was tonight?

>SF dying only hurts the genre since SF players don't generally venture outside of their comfort zones.
>cites that they play other games other than SF
Make up your mind

>SF dying only hurts the genre since SF players don't generally venture outside of their comfort zones.

No they do they just dont play them for long if theres not hype around them. You only get guys like say for example Tokido who plays multiple fighting games and is good at them. If say KOF was more popular than SFV, FGC would gravitate to KOF.

What hardcore base? Game was made to appeal to casuals. If anything, big players are there just for the money and because everyone is there, (like in IV).
SFV is a clusterfuck of bad decisions.

KoF will never get popular, though. Not as long as SF is around. That'd mean lowering your standards.

I meant hardcore as in die hard fans not in anyway skill or ability.

so i was talking about fans who just buy it because it has the street fighter name and will defend anything against as saying its not a big deal and its fine and shit.

Thats the type of hardcore fan im talking about and again in no way skill related but passionate to a fault

Don't try to cater to the e-sports and casual crowd when making the game, casuals don't give a crap about the depth of the game and if your game is good enough, people will support it even without the devs having to fund an official e-sport league so top player won't drop your game.

Explain how the fuck alpha counters and comeback vtrigger make SFV a better game

Because KI was dead on arrival

i didn't know that was Windows 10 exclusive, fuck jewishoft

It's also ugly as sin and a shitty fighting game.

Infrastructure and Online
>Ranked matchmaking takes too long
>Rollback netcode isn't properly implemented. There are often lag spikes and needless rollback that aren't present in other fighting games tested.
>Loading into online match takes too long
>Finishing an online match takes too long, it should jump straight to training afterwards without loadings
>The lag isn't displayed in numbers like Xrd does
>You can't filter lobbies after region
>You can't set unique comment for lobbies
>You can't set unique invite ID for lobbies
>You can't text or voice chat in lobbies
>Only king of the hill in lobbies, room-based structure with queue is superior
>Not enough FM reward for winning games online. You get measly 50 FM per win when one character costs 100k
>Not enough customization and personalization like Tekken
>No point really in SFV having a unique service. Should've just been implemented in PSN/Steam instead. CFN is shit.
>No tutorial online mode

Graphics
>Models are inconsistent. Ken looks like a banana. Ibuki looks like a Turk. Alex looks like Mcdonald's fries
>Awkward win and loading poses
>Ugly and few stages. Want to improve them? Pay Capcom more FM
>Ugly low-poly background characters that run at 30 fps. Looks worse than just static backgrounds
>Some hit stun effects are too flashy, making almost for a blinding effect
>Very few costumes in-game. You must pay $4 per new costume. And Capcom might censor them in future updates considering their previous actions making your purchase a risky one.

Single Player
>Story mode was unfulfilling. No proper closure. Loose plot ends. Plot holes everywhere. Bad writing. Forced fights.
>Lacking of many modes standard in fighting games
>Only way to earn FM and unlock colors is Survival Mode
>Survival Mode is the worst mode in human history and downright sadistic

All this on top of a gameplay that is barebones and often sterile where every match more or less plays the same.

>>Not enough customization and personalization like Tekken
I don't want this. It actually derives from the characters' uniqueness and turns them canvas for silly memery. I don't want to see Akuma with a dildo dangling from his forehead.

True, because the makers of KoF rarely changes its game so it's only popular with KoF players. Meanwhile, Capcom is busy recreating SF for the "5th" time unless you discount the Alpha games. Get my drift? USF4 was years of patches to make it better and they scrapped it for a whole new formula to try to get a new generation involved. The propaganda if I could use that term around SFV is so disgusting they have pro-players like Daigo saying only positive things about it.

Sf4 vanilla was filled to bursting with dumb shit. Infinites and fishing for jab do trades to get a free combo into ultra spring to mind

>True, because the makers of KoF rarely changes its game so it's only popular with KoF players.
That's pretty sad, actually.

Not the same person but

>Don't explain shit
>Wants an explanation

Nice job, faggot. But, ill bite.

First off. V-Trigger is not a comeback mechanic and isn't nearly as disruptive as revenge meter was.

You don't get a mash to 400 damage or a super. Your opponent doesn't have to tip toe around you now that you're almost dead. You have to confirm something, get a hit, or maybe it puts you in a better position to comeback through escape, a combo, etc. Also, if you want to use it in away to help you comeback from losing a life lead you have to manage that meter, meaning you may not v-reversal in lieu of getting v trigger or you use v-reversal instead of getting stunned and possibly losing.

Ultra on the other hand was made specifically to give someone who had taken more damage than their opponent a chance to comeback. As I said before it was originally named REVENGE METER.

These mechanics on their own don't necessarily make the game "better" it just makes it different, which for some dipshits different means "not the same so its shit" ie. 3S to SFIV and now SFIV to SFV

Yeah sort of. KoF has its own fanbase, and it isnt a bad fighting game series, its just not one that everyone wants to play. Like Tekken or most other games.

Yeah, saying people might not play the game after a year in japan is really good for marketing purposes

Yeah, but at least it was something resembling a complete game on release.

>it was the first 3d sf that didnt look like absolute shit

ex plus alpha didnt look shit

I know Daigo made that comment but no one really recalls it. He still plays and supports the game. If the CPT is still around I doubt anyone will just drop SFV even if it is shit. Top players want the money, and Capcom doesnt care about the game as a whole or the regular players anymore.

>KoF will never get popular, though

It's pretty popular in my local scene but it's a shame that it won't 'blow up' completely. It's a really damn fun game and XIV is great. Got some anime and SF-only friends into XIV recently and it has been a blast to see them adapt and start kicking ass.

Remove overly complex button inputs

Now you just need to bring up Smash and pull some stuff out of your ass and the typical fightan thread on Cred Forums will be complete.

It took SNK one week to fix XIV's netcode. Capcom still hasn't managed to fix it after seven months. I hope it comes to PC soon because my patience is running out with SFV.

Adding V reversals really hurt the game tho. They had to change how blockstrings and counters worked, and it doing so they fucked up the core big time.
Also, im not a fan of jabs beating a command grab. Im not a fan of jabs used as an anti air that leaves space for a free 50/50 mix up, im not a fan of easy and predictable as fuck frame traps. Combos are shit, neutral feels like an spam of normals rather than a real neutral on a SF game.
Also, people talk about how much this game teaches better habits to people. Thats BS, if anything this game makes players jump for no real reason because there arent reliable antiairs for some characters, you either learn to counter an aintiair with an air to air or eat a mix up.

Little rant there, i didnt expect to make it that long. Ultras were bad, and whereas V-bar was a neat concept, the core where it was implemented is shit.

I'll have to disagree. SFV is a more offensive SF. In any game that tries to reward offence it also rewards blocking properly and knowing when to use a reversal mechanic like v-reversal (alpha counter, push block, w/e)

The thing I think not many people are catching on to yet is the meta of predicting when a v-reversal will be done and punishing correctly.

I'm also not fond of the jabby nature of the game, but crush counters are there for that very reason. I use Laura, and if I see you mashing like shit i'm going to bait you and crush counter to get you to stop pressing buttons. Jab delay, smash your face to a combo, if you get jabbed out of a command grab you didn't teach them to stop pressing buttons.

This game is much more about conditioning than SFIV in that respect because frame traps are indeed different.

The habits people are referring to when they talk about this game is blocking and not mashing crouch tech. You could mash out of a block string in SFIV if you thought it was suspect or you just wanted to stop the pressure, you can't get away with that here which opens you up to shit like Mikas garbage and you can't just crouch tech all day. Like K-Brad said "I have to take your garbage" and its 100% true, but its not impossible to adapt to.

The thing that bothers me about this right now is most of the community is acting the same way the 3S players did when SFIV came out. They didn't want to adapt so they bashed IV and called it "babby fighter" and stayed sour not playing. You are truly missing out on some crucial information if you just skip out on the game without understanding it is still in its infancy. Frame traps in SFIV weren't even really prevalent until a year or two into its life span. Hell, proper usage of the vortex and counter hits weren't either.

Let the game develop. It is different, it has its flaws, but its street fighter. If you don't like it that much then fuck it, but personally I won't stop playing till VI

poison when?

Time to play

so you hate fun

You can have fun without acting like a retard.

yea you hate fun get out and be boring some place different

No, retard.

Alt costumes are already pretty silly to me. Customization and unlocks adds some replay value to single player content.

Tried my best to make Asuka in TTT2 a marinara-covered, pizza-tossing chef. My friends hated it every time I chucked a pizza.

I think a lot of the reason people failed to adapt is cause SFV is pretty simple on the surface. It gives the impression you can just play like whatever as it is just sf minus past tech, but that has caused them to ignore a lot of the nuance in this game.

People also really need to stop pressing buttons. I see so many complain about people getting away with dumb shit, but dumb shit gets punished really hard (unless they are chun) especially cause of cc.It doesn't help that a lot don't know their frame data, you see so much shit go unpunished. Plus I don't think people especially at lower levels realise just how important vreversals are

>implying sf4 wasn't needlessly difficult

>Alt costumes are already pretty silly to me
Exactly. No reason to push this nonsense even further.

SFV looks like fucking clown college at times.

Arcsys games make their money from the arcade scene, rev does very well and was well received on launch.

I really don't get why people get so mad at silly alts/customisation. Sure it is nice to have some serious ones as well but there is no reason you can't have a mix

Either go for the competitive audience or go for casuals, you can't have both.

Focus cancelling was probably one of the most innovating and fun to use combo extenders in all of fighting game history you fucking twit.

Not only was spamming focus not viable in medium-tier play, it also required fuckloads of guts and heart to pull off a level 3 at high level. Focus was EXCITING. Something you can't say about a SINGLE mechanic in SFV you retard.

For fucks sake, whining about focus is the biggest way to oust yourself as a no-skill bitch, because focus was literally never a problem if you were at the same skill level as the opponent and know how to use your fucking brain to counter it.

I swear to god, people only hate 4 because SF4 was the best fighting game when it came to exposing low level players. Out of any SF it was the most frustrating to scrubs because SF4 actually required you to use your brain because it's matchups weren't always as simple as spitballing your fucking footsies.

SFV is trash. It's just the worst. And the fact that so many new players defend it when not long ago they were complaining at 4 because they didn't have what it fucking took to reach the next level, it's so frustrating. I hope you are molested in hell by your uncle and grandpa for eternity.

In all fairness SNK probably had the netcode already well programmed for its type out the door, just that they forgot to remove a couple bits here and there that made it not work in specific modes and it was just a matter of plucking a few stray hairs in that sense.

Meanwhile, as was said above, Capcom has a lot higher ratio of fresh, inexperienced talent whose pussies would bleed severely from their first fuck.

The funniest thing about these threads is when you read the longer posts and find out that 75% is just shitting on one game with no real substance. People are desperate to look smart, they write a little bit which actually says something and then write big paragraphs with just X game was shit Y is better over and over

You 09ers and your lack of intellect. People aren't complaining about focus being "bullshit", people are complaining about focus because it effectively killed Street Fighter's classic footsie game. Sticking out a button as a poke left you at a disadvantage, so most players ended up doing nothing. It's super lame and the complete antithesis to SFV.

Then play 4 forever. But in all honesty this board just hates capcom and hates games. So it doesn't really matter what you think because you are just some joke on a message board that gets upset over dash throw.

>it also required fuckloads of guts and heart to pull off a level 3 at high level. Focus was EXCITING.
Putting someone in a crumple state and charging focus is exciting? More than this?

You say I have a lack of intelligence, yet what you are basically complaining about is SF4 didn't let you stick out your fucking limbs because you felt like it. You actually had to think about what buttons you could press against certain characters at certain distances against certain opponents? Holy fuck! I just want to play a game where I can hit buttons all day long and get away with it!

Actually it isn't fixed as much as it is better at matching people with equal pings. if you have shitter internet good luck getting a match. Also it is still delay based which is sort of joke in this day and age since they should of known better. Also Capcom has made match making a bit better. If I play 10 matches I get about 1 fucking terrible match and I set it to 4-5

>SF players are unfortunately more likely to play games like Overwatch over fighting games like KoF and GG.

That's really not true, people from GG/Smash/Blazblue/MKX don't venture out of their games. SF players are all over Marvel, Plenty in GG and some in Tekken.

that's wrong the best thing about fighting games is that even if you don't know the game, they are still fun unless you go directly into multiplayer almost all fighting games i have played they all were fun with my bro even if i didn't knew how to play as compared to multiplayer only fps games where you have tp start from multiplayer right off the bat

Wow he knew the frame data of Alex's V-Skill in terms of Necallis fake block string so exciting.

Compared to: Did that fucker literally just get away a level 3 focus? He made that top player look like a fucking retard with no reactions!

Actually pushing buttons is a terrible thing to do in this game because of the crush counter system. If you play shitters and can't crush counter into a punish combo, you need more practice. Because if you do have a brain you will bait the dummy into pressing a button that can be CC or play the footsie game and CC them.

Rollback isn't better when it's implemented like trash, even being one-sided.

I mean I love Focus Cancels but GG was doing roman cancels donkeys before SF.

He said focus cancels you fucknuckle.

You go and fucking watch Canada Cup GFs 2015 and tell me that isn't the purest footsies in fighting games.

Also it doesn't help if you have trash internet. Which is a lot of people North America, more so if you live in a flyover state.

>people from GG/Smash/Blazblue/MKX don't venture out of their games.
That isn't true, especially in the case of SFV where we even see top anime players like Go1. Hell even Tokido was a KoF player

I don't know anyone who was known for SF transition to anime or 3D games. The closest are a few have tried out Akuma in T7 cause he plays quite a lot like a SF character

I wonder how much people are going to bitch about T7 having revenge supers.

If you're talking about the old dogs they played practically everything.

I knew the cycle of hate would keep going but it's hilarious to witness it.

>love SF III series 3S
>some friends get into SF with IV
>don't like IV that much but still play casuals since it's the new 'thing'
>SFV comes out
>know some friends that get back into SF with SFV
>IV friends (09ers) hate SFV and talk about how good 'muh sfiv' was

We're all faggots man. Still, like what you want. I hope SFV gets a good fixin' up or revamp since Urien is in. IV was solid too but just not my thing. I was happy to see Makoto get some spotlight though and used her when I played.

I am not upset over dash throw, I haven't even specified my problems with V.

Fuck, nobody in V even compares to Gouken's dash into sweep. I am not even mad at that.

To put things in simple, my main problems with V is capcoms large clasp on the player's ability to become creative with his character. So much gameplay variety involving the options available to the characters were nerfed by the third beta phase. It was basically like Capcom getting rid of the carousel in the kids park because the older kids were spinning too hard, aka "NO FUN ALLOWED".

Matchups involve relatively the same strategies, and there is too much emphasis on creating crush counters. Footsies have been completely streamlined, SF4's were admittedly pretty streamlined compared to 3s, but SFV has gone too far with over simplification.

>mfw just want FADC's on hit for combo extending in V then it will be fantastic.

Play is not the same as playing long term or competing though, if just playing for a day is the standard we are using then any fan of any game has ventured out.

Hugo has a nice ass

I think you need to get over that word simple. Its YEAR FUCKING ONE. Not even year one and you want to see matches where people have played the game 5+ fucking years. Hell people didn't find out about crossups in SF2 almost 1-2 years in and fucking combos where sort of magic.

I have been playing fighting games since CVS2 came out on the ps2.

I have loved all the capcom fighting games from SF2 to SF4, I embraced SF4 with open arms from day 1 of vanilla, I knew there were faults but I know the game had SO much potential.

I don't see any future potential in V as far as mechanics go, it's so streamlined it just seems hopeless.

SFV is the only one I have a problem with.

You know between SF4 vanilla and ULTRA. Each version added mechcanics not just characters.

This is exactly why I'm not worried about SFV in the slightest. People will come around.

It's year one had the game is already as stagnant as SF4 was by the end of USF4.

SF4 was nowhere near this slow in terms of technical player progress during it's first year, there was something new and exciting being discovered every week it seemed like, and so many players had their own unique style to their mains.

>I don't see any future potential in V as far as mechanics go,
you basically quoted

Ya it was look at year 1-3 for SFIV. People just fucking forget this shit.

Release full games only.

There was a slight speed up when Super came out. And 2 ultras were added.

But SF4 never strayed very far away from the vanilla SF4 mechanics. I think SFV is going to to get better its going to have to change a lot, I am talking like SF3 -> 3s amounts of change.

Videos one early SF4 are the funniest shit, people have no idea what they are doing

>there was something new and exciting being discovered every week it seemed like
Selective memory, wishful thinking, I don't know what it is.

I was still a Tekken afficiando back then and the first thing I recall about SFIV was that almost everyone hated the game. Mentioning it even casually would be met with an endless wall of bitching every single time.

>In all of fighting game history

holy shit you're retarded

Trust me man, if SFV stays this way it's not going to progress like SF4 did. The pool is just way too shallow.

And since matchups are so streamlined adding new characters isn't going to make the game that much harder to learn like SF4 was in it's later years.

>Plus I don't think people especially at lower levels realize just how important v reversals are

They don't.

Slight speed up. Dude the meta changed from version to version. Remember when fucking EVERYONE played yun in AE, even fucking Daigo played yun.

Until season 2 happens and capcom throws in a new mechanic. Because that is what they have been doing since day one. The SFV you play today isn't going to be the same you play after Capcom cup.

He said mechanics, not meta. I wasn't even talking about meta.

My whole point is SFV is the most stagnant SF game ever made and the meta isn't going to evolve anywhere near as much as previous entries in the series.

>mfw made a smurf to specifically do this as Laura.

Even tomorrow there is change, input lag reduced to 7 frames. One more and it would be an acceptable level

>disliked IV when it was still being played
>had people coming out of the woodwork to defend it
>now everyone calls IV shit and V is the game no one can insult
>even actual pro players point out the faults of IV now
So is it just whatever game is big in tourneys is automatically considered good to you people? lol.

Both are going to change next year. Since capcom is going to do a version update every year on the scale of SF2, SF2CE etc and SFIV, SFIVAE 2012, 13 etc. But now they are free as long as you get the base game.

One more and you still suck at the game.

Release the fucking game in the arcades first and the final product with extra content for ps4/pc.

and maybe some mini-games/story mode like rival schools.

You must not play many fighting games if you think focus cancelling is that good/special. Because it's slow-uhh.... I mean "tactical"? Fucking Tatsunoko has better combo extensions in the form of its assists.

Except I was saying SF4 never needed tons of overhauls in mechanics, they just added characters and balance changes.

SFV needs huge overhauls and a readjustment of their overall goal in terms of gameplay. So many faggots defending capcom's shit because it's the only thing that's life. Capcom really needs to take the fucking training wheels off this game.

Do people really think SFV will fail? I mean, I don't even think it's that great, but come on. it's fucking Street Fighter. Thanks to the power of memes, ads, and bad players thinking they can win prize money, there will be a playerbase.

Except combo extending in Tatsunoko is fucking piss easy and barely takes any time in training mode to get the gist of. There is not many other things more satisfying in fighting games than training your ass at landing a full meter FADC combo on an opponent in the heat of the moment. Not only that, fadcing wasn't just used for combos either, but if you were creative enough you could use it for a setup or for really good block pressure.

Nigger they added options to have 2 ultras at the same time, Delayed wakeup which changed the oki game, red focus cancel. Changed character options selects. capcom is always always dicking with mechcanics with each iteration. You are just a fucking idiot.

>this board just hates capcom
We have Monster Hunter threads every day

Arcades are dead everywhere but Japan.

Delayed wakeup and red focus didn't fucking come out until like 7 years after the game came out you dumb fuck face, and SF4 didn't even last long enough for it to completely change the game.

Adding ultra 2 was literally just adding more content to a preexisting mechanic you shit, use your brains for once.

Changed option selects is not a fucking new mechanic you nigger. Maybe you need to get your fucking GED before you post here again.

It's already a failure depending on what criteria you use. For sales, it was a huge dud. Player base retention isn't really that impressive either. SFV on PC has as many players as the last month of USF4 before SFV was released. And that was a late port for an aging game.

And the game was made in Japan, yes. Keep in mind Tekken 7 is an arcade game and doing pretty well. Also, Korea and a bunch of other places in Asia still have active arcades. Went to an arcade in the Philippines a few months ago, actually.

It changed the way you play a character which I think counts for mechcanics? Or you one of those 8 frames losers?

Funnily enough, USFIV in its last months was at the peak of its popularity following a couple of hype EVOs.

DIDN'T CHANGE THE GAME. Dude without delay wakeup the Japs ate people up and some characters where vortex like because of the nasty fuck setups.

Tekken 7 would never have been this ambitious if it wasn't the arcade money carrying them. The initial T7 arcade build was barebones as fuck. Eventually they got enough dough from the arcade release to flesh it out properly with tons of characters and features.

>And the game was made in Japan
And? Japan isn't the tech crazy vidya hub you know from your fucking animes. Sales for consoles and video games have been steadily declining. Wanna know what has increased in the meantime? Money spent on mobile games. And all Korea plays is gookclick and shitty MMOs.

It's time to stop treating Japan like some kind of video game heaven. Their relevance and talent has been dwindling for at least a decade.

In how many hours drops Urien and the rest?

I think we all know what's missing from SFV that can still save the game.

You're just going to complain about alterations made to your character like everyone else.

20 hourish

I just want my 'choke-a-bitch' bitch to be in.

Sakura is nice too.

Yeah let's keep Sakura out of SFV for now. Considering how Ibuki turned out, it's not worth the disappointment.

Tekken 7 is huge in Korea though. Arcades are still popular in Asia. The world doesn't revolve around your tastes. While it's true that the Japanese game industry isn't the same it was 20 years ago, it's still a profitable business to those that are smart about it. Tekken 7 is the most profitable Tekken game at the arcades in its history. So it's not all doom and gloom as you try to paint it.

>it will be 6 am here when they finished their server maintenance

Who mentioned anime at all? I'm pretty sure Japanese video game development is at least relevant when discussing a Japanese video game. I'm aware of mobage becoming popular and PS4 having lower sales than the 3ds in Japan, but my point is that arcades are still a relevant thing in Asia due to the low cost and prevalent of them compared to home consoles, e.g. Chinese people still use them since consoles were illegal there until very recently. Also, Tekken is popular enough in Korea to be televised as an esports event.
Doesn't that prove my point? It made enough money from arcades to become a fully realized game in time.

>The world doesn't revolve around your tastes
>Those two specific locations insignificant to the global market still have arcades, haha.

>Asia is irrelevant to the global video games market
Shitloads of Koreans play Dota and Counterstrike. Overwatch also had huge sales there. Fairly sure the asian market is a large share of what gets bought.

Yes I was agreeing with you.

They aren't insignificant to fighting games. In fact they are vital markets for the genre. Without Asian arcade bucks, a great many fighting games would never have lasted as long as they have.

they ruined his stance too. why are his legs cracked all the way backwards in SFV?!

>Shitloads of Koreans play this free2play game and a 5 bucks Steam sale regular
Stop.

>Overwatch also had huge sales there.
It's the exception. Korea is Blizzard's bitch after Starcraft and with blizzards as dedicated as they are, Blizzard could sell literal shit for 60 bucks and their fans would buy it.

If you want to make a popular game these days, you have to think globally. Asia and its arcade phenomena is just one market in the end. By far the weakest, I might add.

>Without Asian arcade bucks, a great many fighting games would never have lasted as long as they have.
I'm just curious: Do you think SFV arcade machines would do well in Japan and Korea? Especially Korea seems to gravitate more towards Tekken.

1) Fighting games should be multiplatform.
2) People want a fucking single-player story mode.

Don't make it console exclusive

Arcades are sort of getting blurred in japan. More and more game centers have pc's for rent also more and more arcade cabs are part of Tatio's network which turns the machine into something like steam where operators can download a game onto a machine.

tell PC players to stop pirating.

Probably. SF4 was quite popular at the arcades if I remember right. But I doubt we'll see SFV at the arcades since it was made on Sony bucks.

It's also on PC. That leaves only Xbone, which you shouldn't bother with anyways unless you're retarded.

This. It's been years since I've played Tekken and I always been a devoted SFfag, but it's time to jump ship. Tekken is looking genuinely really good though, KoF14 too, too bad it's not on PC.

>Also have more than 12 characters on release.
It did

>but it's time to jump ship.
You mean when it is about to be how it should have on launch? Tomorrow adds the last few things like stage transitions, vs cpu and that stats page working. The only thing you could really have a go at for being missing are some qol features and arcade, which honestly isn't even a good addition when you have vs cpu and two proper story modes. You really can't say the game isn't finished at this stage

twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/778634323524198400
Thong confirmed tho.