Has anyone on Cred Forums used a Revo k101? If so, what are they like?

Has anyone on Cred Forums used a Revo k101? If so, what are they like?
I like that they can play actual carts as well as roms, but does it perform well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xCN785GbUkY
builds.io/apps/gba4ios-21/
boostmobile.com/shop/phones/apple-iphone-se/
gba4iosapp.com/download/
bitbucket.org/rileytestut/gba4ios/
gba4iosapp.com/download/?
builds.io/apps/provenance/
youtu.be/DfMo-H4pAqE
youtu.be/B33n9bDSvsY
youtu.be/DV-4-I5A7iw
pgslab.com/gallery/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The screen itself is the worst quality, as the aspect is wrong and nothing is optimal, and the scaling sucks...

If you absolutely need carts, a modded SP2 or original is the way to go. If you can stay at home, a GB Player with a home-brew boot disk is the definitive answer.

However, if you don't mind using ROMs, and want THE absolute best on-the-go GBA experience, get yourself an iPhone SE and one of these.

Objectively, nothing makes GBA games look better on-the-go than the iPhone SE.

Yeah I had heard the scaling was a bit off. It can't be adjusted?
Wow, an iPhone huh, who would've thought.

Seriously, I'll take footage if you hold on a few minutes...

Basically, the iPhone 5 and 5S had an IPS panel that is EXACTLY 4X the internet resolution of the GBA vertically, but they didn't not have the power to run games flawlessly. the iPhone 6 did, but the scaling was off. With the iPhone SE, it has the power of the iPhone 6S in the body and screen of a 5S, which means GBA games look literally perfect.

And if you turn it 90 degree, GBC/GB games look literally perfect as well interger wise.

Seriously, it surprised me too.

Considering a used SE 16GB can go for 300 USD used, will fit EVERY GB/GBC/GBA rom compressed on there easily, has literally the perfect IPS screen, plus can run the latest iOS games as well, you really can't do better.

Alright then, I'll check some of this out. I take it you do this yourself? What emulator do you use?

>Objectively, nothing makes GBA games look better on-the-go than the iPhone SE.

You mean a PSP go, right nigga?

GBA4iOS

JUST captured some 1080 60FPS offscreen footage and am cutting and uploading. Sit tight, it's gonna be worth it.

Awesome, thanks!

>PSP Go.
You know, I've always liked the idea of the go for some reason. But I don't recall seeing it anywhere in stores when it came out.

I was able to get my hands on one for like $150 from Wal-Mart just after the Vita came out.

It's honestly the best emulation machine I've ever used (Sans my phone + controller + clip)

Best part is pirating PSP games is super EZPZ as well, and there's a ton of them.

It looks like a decent solution on paper, but the 480X272 resolution is quite non-optimal for GBA, and the M2 memory sticks are... yeah.

While the vid is uploading, have some pixel-perfect screens I took!

>Wario Land 4.
Second best gba game, only behind superstar saga.

Video almost done processing.

Heads up: I put flashlight on for better lighting. I decided to a an offscreen vid so you could see how nice the colors look on the IPS panel, the quality of the speakers, the performance of the emulator, and to lessen reflection. This is an iPhone SE, not a 5S, and I don't have the controller shell ATM, but it looks just like that stock image I posted earlier. In the meantime, here's another screenie.

Vid's done, make sure to watch in 1080p/60FPS

youtu.be/xCN785GbUkY

Notice that there is absolutely no lag or ghosting of any kind. The reason it looks so nice is because every original GBA pixel is represented on the screen by EXACTLY 4.

Wow, holy shit. That does look really good. This looks to be a really good solution.
Thanks user, you're a champ!
I actually have an iPhone SE already, but it's a work phone, hopefully no issues there.

I KNOW RIGHT!

Seriously, who would have thought a small iPhone would be the best way to play Gameboy games on the go?

Now, you need an MFi controller. the shell i put in the first post I made is an option, but there are others as well. You say you got an iPhone SE already? Perfect!

Now all you need is the emulator. You have 2 options for this since it is not in the App Store.

1. Build it yourself and Sideload with Xcode.

2. Spend 10 bucks at the BuildStore.

builds.io/apps/gba4ios-21/

This is the emulator you want. It even has cloud dropbox saves in case you play between an iPhone and an iPad.

Once you have that, you're good to go.

Ultimately, you're still emulating.

The best solution is an original GBA with SP screen modded in. Best controls, best form factor, and it supports all of the weird cart games like Kirby tilt n tumble and Warioware twisted. The SP and Micro come next, depending on if you care about GBC and GB games.

If you're looking for the best possible picture and care about nothing else, the Game Boy Player and a PVM is the option to go for. Scanlines do more for the GBA than 4x integer scaling ever would.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the emulator has built-in rumble and Gyro support, meaning yes, Wario Ware Twisted is fully playable.

boostmobile.com/shop/phones/apple-iphone-se/

And I was wrong, it's 300 NEW.

Here's a link to the actual emulator page.

gba4iosapp.com/download/

And the official bitbucket in case you want to build it yourself.

bitbucket.org/rileytestut/gba4ios/

Fuck. Yes.
Wait, so what is the difference between builds.io/apps/gba4ios-21/ and gba4iosapp.com/download/?

Nothing at all, the one at Build Store is an official release that is developer-approved that is ready to launch, no building or side loading required. instead, you will have to buy a 10 USD certificate. In case you are not in the know, iOS certificates are ways to run non app store apps without a hitch. Yes, buildstore does it for 10 bucks, but I didn't even mention shit like this that will also run with the same certificate

builds.io/apps/provenance/

Spoiler alert: It's damned good.

I am kinda intrigued too, and I actually need a new phone. I am a Walmart sim, what do?

Sweet jesus, that looks great. You've been the gift that keeps on giving!

I'm gonna go get myself some roms and give this a shot.

fucking thing stopped working a week after I got it. Never buy.

Protip: if you are having trouble putting ROMs in the app, the emulator also has a built-in browser to download and manage from there. And if you have ROMs anywhere else on your phone, you can always use the OPEN IN/COPY TO GBA4iOS function in your apps.

I hope it works out for you. if you have the phone already, it's worth giving it a try!

That's easy, just buy an SE of the capacity of your choice at the Apple Store, just make sure to choose the SIM-FREE option. If it's not working out for you, or it isn't what you were expecting gaming wise or anything like that, take it back. Apple Is very good about this, with no restocking fees or anything. At worst, if you are considering a new phone anyways, you are getting a free test drive.

As a phone itself though, since you are needing one anyways, it's a solid device. It's literally a 6S in the body of a 5S with the front camera of the 6, no barometer, and no 3D touch... that's it. So it's plenty beefy.

Seriously, one of the biggest problems with the Revo other than shitty build quality is that shit screen with shit ratio. Why the heck didn't they use the same panel the original iPhone had which was 480 X 320 and simply do 2X nearest neighbor scaling (note: i made a mistake prior, on the SE every pixel on GBA is represented by 4X, 4exactly 16)?

What a missed opportunity.

Any good rom sites you recommend? In particular, I was looking to get the megaman battle network games.
I'm currently in Japan, so hopefully that won't pose an issue. PS thanks for pushing me away from the revo[/spolier]

Oh I totally just noticed that provenance does gba as well. In your opinion, which of the emulators is better?

Provenance's GBA support is lacking to be honest. Even though Provenance does more, including GBA, GB, GBC, and GBA games are truly best on GBA4iOS.

BTW: here is a direct feed for the heck of it.

youtu.be/DfMo-H4pAqE

Best gba game looking good as always. Thanks again, this looks great.

Here is 1 more direct feed. This one shows you how to install ROMs within the app, as well as control GBA color palettes.

if an MFI controller is connected, GB/C games will appear with full vertical height.

youtu.be/B33n9bDSvsY

Wario land was probably my favourite gameboy game, I played the shit out of it when I was a kid. That brings back a ton of memories

It did come with 16 GB by default, though.

Keep in mind that Direct Feeds re capped at 480P, are compressed, and aren't 60 FPS; that's why I did the offscreen footage for performance.

That being said, enjoy one last vid; Provenance.

Should you guys need more help, don't hesitate. I always hang around threads like these anyways, it's why I use the trip for these kinds of threads and project threads.

Later dudes.

youtu.be/DV-4-I5A7iw

Thanks Mona, you're a true bro and tripfriend.

>psp go
hows that mario tennis runnin for ya?
here's the real king, also those other android gaming devices are choice as well (but they're trending towards tablet-sized)

The Nvidia Shield portable is pretty awesome.
Too bad they don't make em any more. Those things are an emulation powerhouse.
Played 64, PS1, Dreamcast, DS, PSP, etc etc

Literally no reason to get the console Shield either when the portable can be hooked up to a tv anyway.

I'll give you much better than an iPhone, a psp go.
The psp go is literally the most perfect GBA emulation machine.

its a real shame that the shield and its chink cousins are so huego. I really wish there was something more pocket-friendly, thats why i loved the play so much. Hopefully the upcoming PGS isnt a scam

Not with that screen res.

Looks like ass, there is input lag you're just bigging this up too much to notice. There only thing I've ever emulated the GBA on without any form of input lag is the psp go. And I've emulated GBA on a lot of devices.

I might be in the minority, but I like the bigger size.
Fits more snugly in my hands and has ergonomics more akin to a 360 controller.

I beat Rhythm Heaven on an iPhone, just saying...

You joking? It's almost exactly double the res.
screen res makes no difference emulating a machine that was 240 x 160 originally, the lower the res on the emulation machine the better.

1. text best games look like ass

2. ALMOST exactly double? no, it is not, and if it was, that would be an even bigger problem as the fuzz would look like ass and then some.

Obvious fake, how is that screen meant to sit ontop of those sticks?

its a 3d render, the plan is to have the sticks retract down in phone mode

pgslab.com/gallery/

Looks like there's two versions, the more expensive one has those high sticks and a better hinge so maybe they click in or have notches.

Either way it seems too cheap to be true at apparantly 300US.

If you're going with PC architecture then I'd rather you went for bigger form factor like Wii U gamepad, Pyra or Nvidia Shield.

I modded my psvita but I don't have any GBA game I really want to play

I had fun with both metroid games recently

I already played them recently though