Sunless Sea

1 hour into it and i'm already hooked, but fuck i'm bad.
I went blind into it and i'm not usually into this type of game.
>1st captain
>"your first captain is probably going to day"
>fuck that
>run out of gas
>make offering to the salt god
>"you're being taken to port"
>nice
>it takes me to some god forsaken port in the middle of nowhere
>"there's a mutiny"
>"you're dead"
>second captain
>go north
>reach the limit of the zee
>i wonder what happens if i keep going
>"you'be been swallowed by the nothing"
>lose 4 crew members
>get teleported to some place called horizon something
>find some weird stuff there
>well i'm not that far from london
>start the trip home
>"one of your crew members have been taken by a tentacle"
>there's drownies
>not enough fuel to scare them off
>"you lost one crew member"
>"feed your crew"
>feed them some strange jellyfish i hunted earlier
>it works
>run out of gas close to london
>end up getting destroyed by a crab and a pirate vessel
>abandon ship
So any advice for new players?
I barely make any echoes from exploring, and everything is so expensive.

Head east to the salt sphinx and do some trade runs, you should get enough cash to get started.

Oh man it's been forever since I sailed the Zee... I should get into it again.

Protip: You will not get rich by being legit and the Unterzee is wide and dark. Stay close to islands; REAL close, to avoid going mad. Trade illegal goods at London and FUCK the customs men. Get in good with the Admiralty and you'll get mad bank by giving them port reports. The earliest bit is the hardest; as you get more experienced and richer, you'll be able to trade bigger ticket items and finally start to make some money.

Try trading stone from the lions to London, if you can find them and if you're up for a long voyage, souls to the apes. The latter is highly illegal, but as I said, you will NOT get rich shipping passengers to Venderbight, or wide to the pirate-monks.

Sell everything, buy the biggest deck gun you can get, suicide and inherit it to your next captain.

dont play it like a roguelike. use the saves, abuse the saves. if you have to read the same text and encounters over and over it will burn you out just focus on experiencing the game in 1 playthrough.

The writing is godtier, but they purposefully made the gameplay tedious. It will probably entice some people but man the time investment the game asks for you was too much for me, I used cheat engine to see everything the game had to offer.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to read their Fallen London stuff.

The game mentions that the map changes, but so far everything is the same, but i haven't explored much so i don't know what changes.

Some islands change places, like in one game the salt lions are to the north-east and in other it could be to south-east of London.

The locations of some places slightly vary. The smaller islands.

Some advice for saving fuel - sail with your light turned off. It basically halves down the speed of fuel consumption, and you're less likely to attract enemies.
Just try to keep close to lights whenever you can, and turn it on sometimes to avoid getting terror too high.

Also, try to find pigmote island ASAP, and help people win the war. You can get 4ish supplies + terror reduction for free there afterwards.

>sunless sea thread

Neat. It's a tough game but can be really fun to get lost in. If you don't enjoy reading you won't like this game.

I also find it pretty tough to be honest, I can never scrape enough to get by.

The map of the Zee is split up into tiles, which change position when you die and select a new Captain (unless you choose a specific Legacy, but it's the worst one). The main locations tend to be in the same place or at least the same area relative to each other (London is always in the same place, for example) but the smaller ones can move around a bit.

Just prepare yourself for some hardship and absorb it, user. The Zee is mystifying once you get out onto it. And whatever you do praise Salt

Every time I play this I get sidetracked with spreading those shroom guys to every island I can think of. Does anything special happen when I've shroomed everything?

>Saltfags have entered the thread
How bout you fucks get out of the way for REAL gods. Like Stone

They really hunted down all the good ways to make profit, from what I gathered sunlight is just straight up suicide now.
Last I played I struggled by before I got the cargo ship then loaded it up with crew and enough fuel/food to get to surface, then did the mediterranean trade there until I was critically low on crew before heading back down under to restock on crew.

Or could cut the snoring moneygrind and just cheat it in, might even enjoy the game that way.

>mediterranean trade until I was critically low on crew
This was such a laughable cheesy way to make money it was kind of ridicilous
and also necessary on repeat playthroughs

>Look at game in steam library
>Update Required
>!?
>check news
>text resize update, thank god
>Zubmarine update in 18 days
>mfw underwater horrors soon

This is all good advice - just take some time to get used to it, and you'll learn the rhythms of the game; when to have your lights off, how to balance Terror and what reduces it most effectively, certain timings. Running through open-Zee fog banks with lights off, for example, will seriously fuck your crew up so it can be a good idea to flick them on if you've got no choice but to navigate through one.
Combat is best started striking from surprise - turn your lights off, acquire firing solutions, and hit them hard. In the early game you're best suited trying to stay behind enemy ships in their blind spot, and if you fire upon Zee-creatures with your lights off they'll take a while to detect you (instead of spotting you instantly if you do so with your lights on)

>Stone's a comforting god of home and hearth
>Storm doesn't seem to care much about anything at all
>If you piss off Salt, he'll kill your whole family
I venerate all three, but I know who's first in my prayers, Captain.
Plus, his worship at the Shalt-Flions is cool as fuck.

>find some kind of horrible prison
>the disgusting cook immediately runs in there because he wants to be jailed

I can't tell what the fuck is going on half the time in these events.

This game is fun but it's kind of a cluster fuck later, especially upgrading your engine/ship, your fuel consumption becomes such a massive problem you don't get to think about anything else

That's a bummer.
What's the point if you don't have some kind of reward?

I found the food a bigger issue since the rate is what, half your crew per tick?, and since they eat at the 50 point mark you really went through it fast with the bigger ships.
Getting to your destination faster with reduced terror (since you don't spend as much time on the zee) is the reward.

>>mediterranean trade until I was critically low on crew
Hmm, I'll have to try this. I stopped playing a while ago because I killed myself smuggling THE SUN and ended up running sapphires, but I spent so much time grinding Echoes I eventually couldn't be bothered anymore and stopped playing. Still, I've been meaning to go back and start all over again.
Or maybe I'll just cheat

Is it best to stick with the ship you started with, upgrade to the Corvette, or is the Frigate worthwhile?

Which is fine if you never want to hunt/fight, but then what's the point of having the bigger ships?

That's exactly the point, the gameplay is ruined by the later tier food/fuel dynamics, so the game falls apart.

I'm zo ready

Some of these sort of things are explained if you follow your officers plotlines, but a lot of what happens on the zee is intentionally left unexplained, to set a mood. Encounters are often explained in words meant to set a tone, rather than paint a clear image. The Zee does strange things to men's minds.

>get the random event where a tentacle eats one of your crew
>the inner dialogue mentions something like "you're sure you didn't throw him off board, it was the tentacle"
Or something among those lines.
Good stuff

>"you're sure you didn't throw him off board, it was the tentacle"
Holy fuck this game is incredible.

I still remember the first time I got to Varchas, never had as much fun with reading in a game before

Got this from Humble but haven't touched it yet, from the thread it's kinda similar to FTL, should I play like one?

The game literally tells you that your first captain will die which is true and that you should take risks

Also don't hover over spoiler tags like you just did.
I said stop, just go play

It's not really all that similar to FTL. If anything, it's closer to Sid Meier's Pirates or Star Control 2. Play it, if you're disgustingly patient and like a comfy-spooky game mostly about slowly trundling from place to place and reading about the horrible things happening to your crew.

>turn off permadeath

Much better.

Don't bother before the expansion hits

How many Gods of the Zee are there? Do you know?

It's a tricky question and depends what you consider a God

The first ship you can get with the Front cannon slot so you can use Memento Mori is the best

>really like the setting
>both Fallen London and, to a smaller extent, Sunless Sea are grindfests

Only one. Salt will rule!

Thanks, user. I managed to make it to the Frigate once, but I preferred the Corvette.

Life is truly suffering, Captain.
A-at least in SS you can cheat, right?

>complete Principalities of Coral questline
>total Scintillack/Blue Scintillack haul is worth 7470 Echoes if you sell it all in London
>or 18200 Echoes if you convert it all in Varchas

>putting your faith in a pawn of the Great Game who hides from his responsibilities

Play Fallen London for a bit and eventually you'll be given a Whisper Locked Lockbox which you can "sell to a zee captain". This unlocks a small questline in Sunless Sea for every new captain you make. It isn't worth much but it's a nice enough bonus

You'll have to play for months before you can unlock the other FL exclusive bonuses, though

>spoiler
[mad laughter intensifies]
I-I just want a cute mascot without having to complete half of the game first ;_;

Parabolan Kittens don't come from Fallen London, they come from players who preordered the game and got a Parabolan Panther

If you hit up the FL forums I'm sure there's still people giving them away

Oh, terrific. I misread the wiki and thought you had to get them from someone in FL who'd preordered.
Salt's blessings on you, user

It has permadeath but there's barely any randomly generated content (monsters don't even respawn in different places) so you don't miss out on anything by playing how it was (not) intended by the devs

it's also incredibly grindy, so you should just cheat like a motherfuc kunless you like spending several hours slowly moving around the sea to read a couple new paragraphs