Why is combat one thing that Japan is heads and shoulders above the rest of the world in?

Why is combat one thing that Japan is heads and shoulders above the rest of the world in?

Because they don't try to try to make it more realistic, and there are more japanese game that don't try to make it so that anyone can complete it half asleep. This gives them a lot more freedom to make something fun and not braindead.

Japan sucks at everything until I get DMC5

fucking this

Because the developers either have a lot of experience making challenging well designed arcade action games or they grew up playing them. Meanwhile the west doesn't even know how to play arcade games.

I think that's sort of a narrow view of combat.

While it's true Japan does action game combat better than the west, that's about it. I guess fighting games, I don't really follow those so IDK what (if anything) the west has on offer. But consider:

Their shooters suck compared to the west, no question
Their platformers tend to have less-engaging combat mechanics (compare Mario to something like Jak and Daxter)
Their RPGs have the shittiest, most boring slogs of menu-clicking combat ever to exist, to the point that "japanese" became its own genre of RPG just to describe games where you navigate menus and watch numbers go up.

/thread

>Their shooters suck compared to the west, no question
What shooters? Japanese third person shooters are high quality and shmups, rail shooters and run & gun games are infinitely superior to the shit that the west puts out. The only type of shooter the west used to do better is FPS, but that's because the japs don't even bother with the genre at all. Also outside of Gothic the only action RPG's with good combat are japanese.

This
And Japan does FPS games too but they're on-rails

No, Shinji Mikami's two third-person-shooters are high quality (Vanquish and RE4).

That's it.

Now, KOREA maybe knows a thing or two about TPSes (what with GunZ existing) if you can deal with P2W grindfest bullshit, but by and large every good TPS or FPS you'll ever play is coming from the west

I wasn't referring to rail shooters/shmups, though, Japan does those very well.

As for ARPGs, I'm tempted to call that a wash. Hell, even a throwaway title like Darksiders has more complexity to its combat than Kingdom Hearts... And depending on how you define "ARPG", I would argue that the west has it all over Japan with titles like Mass Effect which have excellent combat (though that depends on whether anything that involves aiming a gun is instantly classed as a "shooter")

RE5 and especially RE6 are phenomenal shooters as well, especially RE6 having the best combat I've ever played in a shooter
Mass Effect has horrible combat
They improved it a lot in the sequels though and the game actually became playable and actually good
And for ARPGs Japan still has Tales, Souls, and even some FF games like Dissidia and Lightning Returns just to name a few

There's Armored Core, Ghost in the Shell, Binary Domain, EDF, Lost Planet 2 and some other good japanese third person shooter. Actually pretty much every japanese third person shooter I think of is good it's just that there aren't many of them. The west pumps out garbage constantly on the other hand.

Also for one you are blatantly wrong about the Darksiders/KH comparison but secondly complexity is worthless without balance which is often what western games completely fuck up along with challenge. Ys The Oath in Felghana for example has much better combat than something like Kingdoms of Amalur despite being less complex.

I' generally on your side but RE6's combat was absolute shit man. You can counter nearly ever move every enemy has aside from some boss moves.

You're fucking joking about RE6 having good combat right? That shit was lame. Its mercenaries was also shit compared to 5's.

Easy, the west has always seen video games as something that needs to be moved into the "general entertainment" niche.
Meaning they will always try and make games in general appealing to the masses, they do this by taking pointers from other popular media, especially movies.
It's one of the reasons why so many SNES game cartridges had images of cool, muscular american action heroes on them.
The West introduced many rules that they abide by to this date:
>make realistic animations
>make great graphics
>make cinematic experiences
etc.

Japan pretty much has a single rule to go by:
>make it feel good and rewarding to play
Japan realizes that games are way different from movies or any other media and they treat it as such.

To be honest there are enough Japanese kusoges but probably it's mostly thanks to anime. Over the top style of many anime is just more fun to make into video game combat. That and the fact that once they've begun making action combat their developers gained experience that increases with every title.

I really enjoyed it
The movement offered a ton of possibilities, there were a lot of possible attacks and even the melee system was really well done

it's not like all those things are bad
look at doom or duke nukem

They're better at making good attack animations.

did I say they were bad?

What the actual fuck was going on with dark souls?
Like lets be honest for a sec or two.
-best level design
-very good combat system
-Have you heard the soundtrack? Compare that to most games and especially, to the later titles.
-Look at how you can customize your armor, how good it looked, how creative it was.
-Look at the enemies and the bosses, the mixture of apocalypse, lost world, medevil and fantasy, everything works so well, I cant think of anything being out of topic
-everything gameplay be it fast menu navigation, the bossfights themselves (fuck bed of chaos), how responsive everything felt fuck me
-
The game scream pure genius mixed with black magic, how does it work? Where did it come from? Who decided that this niche series needed to survive since kings field? Whose vision is this? I have no understanding what so ever how this game could have been, in a time like this and I fail to see or find any game as grandious as dark souls. Ninja gaiden black has good combat and some cool bosses tho.

The movement actually didn't offer shit. It was cool to be able to slide around and do trick shots/kung fu with different characters for the first hour but on harder difficulties the correct answer was pretty much always counter if its possible. If anything it watered down the game and made it a bore to play. It made mercenaries so fucking boring because countering was the best way to get your timer up.

They also limited the amount of things you could do to a target in 6 compared to 5. In 5 you had unique attacks for headshots, arm shots from the front, arm shots from the back, legs shots from the front, and leg shots from the back. You could also do special attacks from your partner's shots as well. They removed most of these options in 6 and you can't do special attacks on zombies your partner has disabled, which is fucking lame.

6 was a step back mechanically from 5.

>how does it work? Where did it come from?
nostalgia goggles and your lack of knowledge about other video games

Im replaying it right now and it is far better than anything the market shat out in the past 4 years, no to tiny amout of nostalgia involved. I played more than dark souls in the last 16 years. Many games have been good but on the same level as souls, shame if you dont feel the same.

Is DMC4 any good on PC, or should I just buy it on PS3? I have the first 3.

>KOREA maybe knows a thing or two about TPS
lel, what
they have been pumping out shitty CounterStrike clones like candy for FPS and for TPS, it is pretty much dead apart for occasional anime licensed stuff
there is a Sgt. Frog mmo shooter, what the hell

Pic related

Korea has some pretty good developers though. You have stuff like S4 league or Ace Online/AirRivals that then get completely unplayable due to jewish pay to win schemes seeping too deep into the game.

>Sgt. Frog
Activision/Warner Bros will slap any license onto an existing framework and sell it
Same thing happened in worst korea. But they make it f2p grindfest cancer instead.
There is no hope for worst Korea short of nuclear annihilation.

Of course it is better on pc. If your pc can play modern game at 30 fps on medium, you can play it at 40-60 on high.

It is. You also get LDK mode which is fun.

>nuclear annihilation.
vote for Trump
he will give worst korea the nukes and just watch the nuclear fireworks from the white house lawn

Neat. I'll try it out, then.

My thoughts are the same. Just imagine Deus Ex with bad ass melee combat (just like in trailers)