These are the four greatest 2D platformers to grace gaming

These are the four greatest 2D platformers to grace gaming.

Have you played them? If you haven't, why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

features.peta.org/super-meat-boy-parody/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>dustforce
Sure.
>N++
Wouldn't say greatest, but it's pretty good.
>VVVVVV
Same as N++, VVVVVV is some good shit.
>SMB
Kill yourself.

I hope you're joking. There isn't a single game there which even makes my top 10 2D platformers.

>greatest

Where's SMB3?

These are the four greatest 2D platformers to grace gaming.

half of your choices are dumb memegames, pcuck
the best platformers graced consoles first and foremost

>Mario shit
Yeah, and CoD is the best FPS of all time and Skyrim is the best RPG.

Cave Story where?

nice bait

Name a better 2D platformer than Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario Land

Kill yourself

All of the games have been published on consoles.
>SMB hit all of the generation 7 consoles other than WiiWare. Every version of the game had an exclusive character to play as, even the Steam release.
>VVVVVV was published by Gaijin Games for the 3DS.
>N++ was released on PS4 long before the PC build.
>Dustforce was published by Capcom for PS3, Vita, and 360
You'd better be merely pretending to be this retarded.

>These are the four greatest 2D hellplatformers
fixed
Sometime, you just want normal fun.

VVVVVV is also on PS4 and Vita, but I don't blame you for not knowing because I literally never saw any announcement or advertising for it.

>VVVVVV is also on PS4 and Vita,
>and not on PS3

My person of African ancestry!

Only thing I remember regarding the ports of the game (beyond the initial port to C++) was the initial release of the game on 3DS and earlier this year the game getting pulled from the eShop because it had inadvertently enabled a homebrew exploit.

I can't for the life of me get into Dustforce.
I try to but the jumping feels so off to me it makes me drop it every time.

>super smeat boy
>best

its fun but it isnt the best

>dust force
If you only play to speed run, yeah

>dankey kang
>sanik
literally 2 of the most ugly games ever

I tried playing them but I cant fucking tell whats what

Not a fan of the genre but I played VVVVVV. Didn't leave a deep impression so I guess I thought it was mediocre or okay at best.

I also played SMB and Dustforce, fucking hated them and thought they're for autists who enjoy trial and error.

n games are fucking dope but also the most bullshit.

SMB is Trial and Error garbage, but Dustforce isn't at all if you're halfway competent.

Maybe I'll have to give N+ another shot, but I played a demo and it was incredibly boring.

There was a thread a while ago where I said my favorite platformers were Super Meat Boy, Super Mario World, and Donkey Kong Country 2

Cred Forums basically implied I was a casual or something, is this not good taste?

>watch a speedrun of Dustforce
>oh shit this game looks TIGHT
>that music
>that atmosphere
>that momentum management
>buy it
>I'm so shit I can't even finish the tutorial
>CAN'T EVEN NAVIGATE THROUGH THE HUB WORLD
HELP

also post your controller configuration, I couldn't find a good one

>indie platformer thread
>no mention of cave story

Holy shit is that why its gone? I remember downloading it and it getting deleted and when I tried looking for it again it was gone. Great game.

Yeah, from what I remember you can get through any stage in Dustforce but there's nothing to it. The levels aren't interesting in any way, there's no story progression, no difficult platforming, exploration, worthwile combat or anything that could make it enjoyable. The point is doing it in a way you get all the dirt and getting through a level with every motion flowing into the next. That's the only time the game is worth it and that requires trial and error and already knowing the layout.

No. Here's the real top four.

1. The Great Giana Sisters (C64)
2. Wonder Boy (Arcade)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
4. Bonk's Adventure (PC Engine)

This and speedrunners.
It's not intuitive and doesn't quite flow right.

Dustforce is pretty great. Nice amount of depth to the mechanics, levels are for the most part very well designed and feel distinct without relying on "this level is all about (insert shitty gimmick) xD!" for the most part outside of Hideout which is cancer. The levels actually feel balanced so that you don't need to throw in a checkpoint every second too which tests your consistency and understanding of the levels/mechanics nicely. Don't like VVVVV or SMB much. I'd say the Umihara Kawase games deserve to be on that list. Anyone who loves Dustforce must play those games because they are amazing.

There is some delay to jumping which may be the problem. Personally I like it because it makes the game more about planning ahead rather than reacting but I can see why someone would hate it.

Beside, Wings of Vi is better.

>trinity
>4 games
OP what the fuck?

SMB outside of its OST is a pretty weak game to be h.

And even its OST was surpassed by their later project, BoI.

Sonic is a racing game, not a platformer.

Personally I find keyboard easier, because every input in the game is digital.

Also, remember to use your dash. On ground it puts you at max speed or maintains your boost, in the air it carries you forward without any vertical boost. Also get comfortable with sliding on walls, early on you'll hold up without realizing it which can cause trouble. Being able to slide on surfaces well is the #1 skill for mastering the game and also having fun with it. Good luck

>one of them lacks a jump button
>other is a casualcore game with 10 second levels and infinite lives to make up for horrible level design
>n++ i pretty cool, and actually plays like a legit plaftormer
>idk anything about Dustforce, it looks boring tho, SMB was a big enough disappointmen, I'm not falling for the indie meme again

>SMB is Trial and Error garbage
>when most normal levels can be finished with 1st try
git gut

>idk anything about Dustforce though, it looks boring
Pirate it and try it out. It's one of the best games I've played recently.

Vvvvv is the only decent game on your list.
Mario bros 3 is still THE PLATFORMER.

Dustforce is not like SMB. For one the levels are pretty lengthy (1+ minutes if you're quick) and you can only use checkpoints for practice because it locks you out of progression. It also stops you from just mindlessly reacting to shit and finishing levels through luck because the controls are slow and commitment heavy so your movement needs to be deliberate.

you don't really react to shit in SMB either, either you read shit a good few seconds in advance, or you bruteforce shit through trial and error

I like SMB. I like the fact that in the beginning it is mostly about memorizing the perfect route and then towards the end switches to enemies reacting to you so you have to git gud at avoiding them
VVVVVVVV was a bit too easy in my opinion

Nah there's plenty of times where just having good reactions will save your ass because the controls are instant and very easy. The biggest examples would be the heat seeking demons during the hell level but there are other good ones too that I can't be bothered remembering. It felt like I was finishing most of the game's levels without giving them any thought until the last world or two and cotton valley, meanwhile in Dustforce every victory felt earned.

This thread makes me vomit.

If you have a "greatest 2D platformer" list without a single Mega Man game, particularly Mega Man 9 or X, you should stop playing vidya entirely.

Mega Man games are shooters, not platformers

Bullshit, you either get good at anticipating stuff in advance or take it in the face, things move fast in the game and inertia is a thing so once you make a mistake you are pretty much commited to the choice you have, I didn't get good at avoiding death in the game until I was able to anticipate things 2 seconds in advance.

>want to get into Dustforce
>can't use the key scheme I'm used to because of keyboard ghosting

Super meatboy is a runner, not a platformer

Inertia exists but unless you're running full speed there isn't a whole lot of it, you can still correct a shitty jump easily. That's not getting into the tiny hops you can easily do or how easy the wall jumping is in the game. The heat seeking demons are honestly the best example of how mindless the game can be, you don't need to consciously misdirect their shots at all or form a route to win, you can simply react to them as they come and still get through levels just fine.

Mega Man games focus on the action side of things. The platforming is very simple, especially in the classic series where the mechanics are as basic as they come.

So those 4 games are better then Castlevania, Metroid, Mega Man, Super Mario Bros., Kirby, or Donkey Kong Country? Or are we just talking about indies? So those 4 games are better then Cave Story, Fez, Spelunky, La Mulana, Shovel Knight or Ori and the Blind Forest?

What about DuckTales, Ghost n Ghouls, Earthworm Jim, Ninja Gaiden, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I would have even taken any of the SNES Mickey Mouse games over the tripe you have picked.

>What about DuckTales, Ghost n Ghouls, Earthworm Jim, Ninja Gaiden, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
those were indies too

Yes to pretty much all of that except for Mario, La Mulana, GnG and maybe Ninja Gaiden.

What the hell are exactly expecting from a platformer? My biggest criticism of the game is the fact how carelessly the challenges are designed in the game, how easy it is to brutforce levels without learning to play properly, the insane fluctation in difficulty from level to level, the arbtrarily accurate jumps you sometimes have to make in early levels when you have no reference or feel for the physics, the occasional cheap death traps added for lulz and to cement the fact how "hardcore" the game is, the absence of the sense of risk which makes playing the game an absolute snorefest, the depressing environments, the feeling that you are slogging through samey levels with no feeling of reward for beating any of them, and you bitch about it being mindless? It's a plaformer dude, I don't know how to explain it to you.

holy fucking bait

>So those 4 games are better then
Don't worry, they're not.

What's up with the N++ praise? I thought it's gonna be one of those top tier indie games with amazing soundtrack but it's got a terrible graphics and obnoxious sound effects that make my ears bleed.

>fun

Underrated one coming through.

From left to right,
Nope, cause I've been busy with life.
Yes
Yes
Yes.

Not Another Needle Game is better than vvvvvv

>memeshit

So? You don't need tons of gimmicks for a platformer to be good, the early Mario and Mega Man games encapsulate platformer design 101 and I'd say by extension game design 101 and they laid the groundwork for countless successors.

The thing about Mega Man is that all of its stages are normally perfectly laid out and that goes for enemy placement too, to where each stage feels like a genuine obstacle course where simple mistakes could mean death and that's the essence of a platformer to me. Plus, the amount of work put into Mega Man's graphical fidelity and sound design were phenomenal at the time. Only Mega Man 2 really slips up in the design department when it comes to how atrocious the Wily stages can be.

>how easy it is to brutforce levels without learning to play properly
That's the problem right here and exactly what I'm bitching about. To me if you beat a difficult level without having a consistent strategy for it, you brute forced it. It's mindless, unengaging and unrewarding. Super Meat Boy not only rewards this kind of play but almost feels designed for it with its tiny levels and sloppy difficulty. Dustforce is not like that, which was the point.

Cave Story is the best one.

I haven't played any of them extensively because they're all highscore and time trial based games, and that's not really the kind of platformer I'm interested in.

>highscore
>time trial
>vvvvvv

This isn't a platformer though. It's a bullet hell fighter with metroidvania Mario progression. There is little to no platforming in it, except for the library, but that's ultra late (post?) game

Mario = map, fucking autocorrect

>Dong 1 instead of 2

Mario works there too, honestly.
>It has light platforming like a modern 2D Mario game

I never played VVVVVV because the main characters gender is unknown.

Dustforce is too gender typical and jobfluid, women shouldn't push a broom ever.

Meat is murder, I'd never touch that gross fucking game.

features.peta.org/super-meat-boy-parody/

Valdis Story>

Women shouldn't be in a workplace ever, work is serious.

None of them are.

I liked SMB and Touhou, but that game fucking sucked, lad.

I'm not really good at fangames but NANG is my favourite. I think it's the only one I have completed 100%.

Do you know of any other good needles that are around that level?

these are forced meme games
not worth playing unless you are a memer

How's ori and the blind forest?

>He forgot Cave Story.

he's not joking, you just have shit taste

M E M E R
E
M
E
R

literally nobody on Cred Forums has played Super Meat Boy and they just like to shit on the game because the dev is a faggot (and he is, but that doesn't make SMB a bad game, surprisingly)

>criticize SMB
>"you can't even beat forest u noob"

>prove I have beaten light and dark levels
>"see you like the game"

can't ever win against the retard logic you faggots use

these

I implore you to play DKC1 again

It's medicore at best