"Video games will never be a legitimate form of art" - Eddie Van Halen

>Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to play this game or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as George Lynch informs us, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.

Was he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/video-games-can-never-be-art
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Roger ebert

LEAVE EDDIE ALONE
THAT QUOTE IS FROM THAT JAWLESS MOTHERFUCKER FILM CRITIC REEEEEEEE

>What people will still pay for is how content makes them feel. They pay for progress. They pay to stand out. To fit in. To give. To win.
-Wang Chung

I remember a thread from a while ago when it was the exact pasta but had some numale fag instead of Eddie and Steve Vai instead of George Lynch

First of all that's Ebert and second, why would his opinion matter when he won't even give it a chance?
I bet even if anyone did he already decided he hated it so he'd just half ass it and put no effort so he can say "see?"

get him high as tits and let him play Journey. He'll change his mind even though its a terrible argument.

Why do I hate George Lynch so much?

But he's already played with Journey when he's high as tits.

Go away, Don.

Heaven brings forth innumerable things to nurture man.
Man has nothing good with which to recompense Heaven.
Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.

-Zhang Xianzhong

>Videogames were a mistake, it's nothing but trash.
-Socrates

Ebert had terrible taste anyways.
At least he admitted he was a retard for disliking Blade Runner.

I would say there are very, very few games that could ever be considered art as a pure representative of what a video game actually is and how it differs from other art forms.

Games such as Pac-man and Super Mario Bros. NES are perfect candidates for a title such as "art". Those games are an experience you will never, ever, ever be able to achieve in any other type of form. They are pure gameplay that is nearly impossible to achieve in real life, unless of course you spend a shit ton of money to build a bunch of walls, get a handful of friends to dress up as ghosts, put a bunch of dots everywhere, build a teleportation device that lets your friends come out from one side of the tunnel to the opposite side, etc, etc you get where I'm going.

These dumb walking simulators will never be art though, and people keep thinking "good stories and amazing visuals" are the key to it all.

Throw Galaga in there too because I fucking love Galaga

How can anyone on their right mind dislike Blade Runner?

Literally fucking who?

WHAOOO I GOT IT BAD GOT IT BAD GOT IT BAD I'M HOT FOR TEACHER

"Console gaming was a mistake" - Prime Minister Obama

How old are you?

Do yourself a favor and Youtube some Van Halen, my man.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

-George Costanza

Are you master of your domains?

HE'S A NIGGER JERRY, A NIGGER

The only people who care if video games are called "art" are usually people with shit taste, who gives a shit really? Just play vidya fag

"take your baby by the hand"

Do you have any single fact to back that up?
- Adam Jensen

>I've never played any game but I don't think they're art, said person with no interest in games
Okay.

>they literally never played Planescape or SOTC

Roger Ebert, cultural Nostradamus, once said the Simon & Garfunkel songs from The Graduate were instantly forgettable.

>caring about what some dad rock nobody has to say

I agree with Ebert 100%.

>Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art? Bobby Fischer, Michael Jordan and Dick Butkus never said they thought their games were an art form. Nor did Shi Hua Chen, winner of the $500,000 World Series of Mah Jong in 2009. Why aren't gamers content to play their games and simply enjoy themselves? They have my blessing, not that they care.

>Do they require validation? In defending their gaming against parents, spouses, children, partners, co-workers or other critics, do they want to be able to look up from the screen and explain, "I'm studying a great form of art?" Then let them say it, if it makes them happy.

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/video-games-can-never-be-art

Also relevant:

>One obvious difference between art and games is that you can win a game. It has rules, points, objectives, and an outcome. Santiago might cite a immersive game without points or rules, but I would say then it ceases to be a game and becomes a representation of a story, a novel, a play, dance, a film.

Ebert was right.