Civilization V on sale right now on steam but have been on the fence about buying since I have never played any of the...

Civilization V on sale right now on steam but have been on the fence about buying since I have never played any of the other games before it. Any thoughts on whether this is a good buy or not?

I didn't like it very much

If you have never played a Civ game before, then go for it, you will most likely enjoy it.

there was a demo back when I bought it, I'm sure it's still up

Civ V in it's current state is the best Civ there is imho.

As an huge fan of the Civ series ( I've played Civ since the first version and it's still my favourite game ) I, like many others, was very disappointed in the direction Civ V took.

A lot of things had to change to allow for the new one unit per tile system to work, we were hoping for more of the same with new features.

That being said, with all the DLC and updates Civ V as it is today delivers a very deep and satisfying experience and I'd definitely say it's worth a go.

It's effectively the modern dumbed down casual reboot of the franchise that anyone can get into, it's designed for people exactly like you op, people who have never played a civ before.
After sinking over a thousand hours in Civ4 I can't even look at civ5 without becoming violently ill at how shitty it is by comparison.

thanks for the responses, I have always been a fan of strategy games but usually they were action oriented in a sense of age of empires or the Total War series. Looking at the game at a glance makes it seem like its a game about managing a nations wealth military and relations to expand. If that is the case is diplomacy a thing in this game? As in it works? Because in most games with diplomacy it usually just ends up with the AI rejecting everything you throw at them.

>Because in most games with diplomacy it usually just ends up with the AI rejecting everything you throw at them.
Sorta, civ5 works off some stupid bullshit where once you're doing the best everyone starts asking for unreasonable bullshit while fishing for a casus belli.
For example one time I was super close allies with america, they asked me to attack mongolia, I obliterated mongolia in 3 turns and america delcared war on me for being a war monger.
Civ 2-4 had a better diplomacy system where nobody could turn on a dime to fuck you up but it was more exploitable as a result.

This is unfortunately true, the diplomacy in 5 never got fixed.

While in the previous versions of civ you felt like you were the ruler of a country, with V it feels like they tried turning the franchise into a hex wargame.

I just pray that Civ 6 will return to it's roots.

aH SHIT. wOULD THIS BE ENOUGH TO OFFSET THE REST OF THE GAME? CONSIDERING THAT IT LOOKSL IKE DIPLOMACY IS SUPPOSE TO PLAY A FACTOR IN THIS GAME. sorry caps locks

IS there a mod to fix the AI and diplomacy in V? I would pick it up and play again if so.

Honestly civ5 is more of a time wasting micromanagement "one more turn" simulator.
You have experience with total war so you might just want to go for civ4, it makes raising an empire feel far more fulfilling.
My biggest issue is having to micro bullshit like trade ships, individually controlling troops, or buying out individual hexes. It almost feels like a really mediocre tactics game rather than building an empire.
I doubt civ6 will fix it considering they're still pushing for this stupid one unit per tile shit which just wastes so much god damn time.

I would say yes it's still worth it to play although know that the AI will play from the start like it's a race to win and war will be inevitable.

There's some sort of AI mod but I think it only fixes the troop movement pathfinding. Civ5 is really bad for modding.

its the most beginner friendly Civ since Civ 2. its a 6 year old game and still in the top 10 played on steam for a reason

the complete edition is a must however

yeah I have exactly the same gripes with the game as you, although with Sid Meier back at the helm (I hope, at least) maybe some of his old ingenuity will save the day.

But yes the one unit per tile really hurt the franchise.

Much thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate it

I hope so too, but worst case scenario the next installment in the Endless franchise should be out soon and those guys actually know what they're doing when it comes to 4x

There has to be some kind of middleground between deathstacks and an endless swamp of 1 unit per hex.
Nevermind that some things like ranged attacks ranges and 1 tank/5 people taking up an entire countryside don't really make much sense at all.

Everything about EL was great except the combat, if they improved on that it would be awesome.
I kinda wish these games could use army combat like Dominions/Conquest of Elysium where you just give tactical guidelines and everything resolves automatically.

>There has to be some kind of middleground between deathstacks and an endless swamp of 1 unit per hex.
There is, the endless franchise did it perfectly
>army stacks have a size limit, starting at 6 or 8, going up by 2 every time you pick up a tech that increases your army management size
>when you army engages another it opens up a tiny homm-style battlefield in the surrounding tiles and you fight it out with tactics.
Only issue was the unit types had strange balance so the actual combat resolved like shit, but everything up to that point was way better than what civ did.
There were a bunch of possible games they could have looked to for inspiration on the combat, and all things considered the army management and the actual mini-battlefield were top-tier ideas, it was just balanced like ass and didn't make proper use of things like cover and terrain height.