Cred Forums...

Cred Forums, I work at a game studio(can't name who) and there's been some issues with an upcoming project in the pipeline. It's supposed to be a full 3d pvp arena style game with indepth melee and ranged combat. But there's a huge problem. The theme and setting.

Half of the team wants it to be a fantasy setting, the other half wants it to be sci fi. I'm gonna be the tiebreaker vote, which is a lot of pressure. And I was weighing my options, and thinking it should be sci fi. The problem is fantasy just isn't as interesting, it's cliche as fuck. If the game is sci fi, it can have badass guns, people wearing cool looking hardsuits and shit with wires and leds and neon lights, and the arenas can be dark cities at night, and space stations and factories, you know cool shit. Fantasy, it would just end up being like every other fantasy thing, you know, warriors with huge pauldrons and giant swords, slutty mage girls waving their arms a lot, smelly guys in loinclothes or breeches, and people fighting in forests and castles. It's just boring as fuck.

Honestly, can anyone convince me why fantasy would even be a good idea, when sci fi is clearly better and allows for way more freedom in a pvp game? Who the fuck would want to use a bow and arrow when you could have sci fi and use fucking LASER GUNS. Come on now.

Look at Dark Souls 3, that game's look and combat is pretty much what a fantasy pvp game would be like, and the shit is boring and looks boring.

youtube.com/watch?v=RYkYGEzQ_b8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_WdrwhcOZg8
youtube.com/watch?v=PRPrJnuxqEY
youtube.com/watch?v=mjKzV9gl490
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

go with 80s sci fi setting

Go with retro 50s sci fi

We already had this thread. OP is a prime retard that will call every suggestion of fantasy shit, doesn't matter what you say. He like things "hardcore" and "gritty" and thinks that laser guns and cyber-ninjas are not overdone. He has already made his mind in this matter.

Yes to this

No to this, Fallout series sucks

Cyber ninjas are fucking awesome dude, ever play metal gear rising? Fantasy assassins can't hang with cyber ninjas.

Expect posts like this throughout the whole thread. It's useless to discuss this with him.

Is this a new type of troll?

Paragon is a perfect example of how much fantasy sucks compared to sci fi, look how dorky this fantasy character looks next to the cool sci fi stuff:

youtube.com/watch?v=_WdrwhcOZg8

Fantasy can be cool if done right and you have your own thing like Bloodborne instead of generic knights and wizards. Sci-fi pretty much always is shit.

But a melee game with ranged combat sounds like shit to begin with so I guess your game is fucked either way.

>Sci-fi pretty much always is shit.

Wanna say that again?

>even the same Necron pictures
Get a bit more creative.

Combine the two, Quake style.

I'll buy your game if you go synthwave

Fuck, I think that everyone will buy a pvp arena game with deep melee/ranged combat with a synthwave artstyle/setting.

Nobody cares about fantasy anymore as long as you don't do something new. And it's hard to do something interesting with a fantasy setting in a pvp focused game.

Why not SciFi in a medieval setting? Kind of Lego nexo knights

You already made this thread.

Get b& and die

That looks so fucking boring. Drab grassy field, boring old style clothing, and boring ancient weapons and slow combat.

>more concerned with setting than gameplay

Hope your studio goes under.

Who cares op, you're making a moba, it's going to bomb.

Dark scifi fantasy

Molecular blades and nanobots

>Fantasy is cliche as fuck
>proceeds to list cliche as fuck things from sci-fi
You're a grade A faggot OP

stop everything you're doing and please do something that looks like jedi knight's multiplayer.
throw in lightsabers for melee, laserguns for range, q3 physics for skill and you're good.
Ty

It's your decision OP, you don't need to fucking justify it. Make your goddamn sci-fi cyber ninja PvP game and stop being such a faggot

Setting influences gameplay.

Don't you dare call this game a moba. It's not like that trash. Full of crappy fantasy characters fighting in generic forests full of fucking trees. I want us to go sci fi, I'll make sure there's not a single tree in this goddamn game. I'm talking dark and gritty factories, oil rigs, steel mills, skyscrapers, the works. This is the kind of arenas I want to make:

youtube.com/watch?v=PRPrJnuxqEY

With this kind of music:
youtube.com/watch?v=mjKzV9gl490

Badass as hell. Hardcore as fuck.

>40k
>sci-fi
lol you fucking retard, you don't even know what science fiction is

I was thinking melee more like dmc3/4.

Is this a paragon shill?

sci fi is plain tasteless and overused shit too.
how about gothic style, ala warhammer?

Yeah well lucky for us you're probably some sort of junior programmer who's opinion doesn't mean shit who's about to spend the next 2 years pulling 60 hour weeks working on a shitty fantasy moba.

>whynotboth.jpg

Thanks for your opinion

Why would I want to get shitty fantasy in my epic sci-fi dude? Think about it.

This doesnt seem like a real thing, but why dont you try to be actually creative, OP? Come up with a setting that is informed by/informs a story. Do a little collaborative roleplaying, spitball some ideas. If you're choosing between ideas that already saturate the culture, you are doomed to create something generic and uninspiring

Sci Fi is badass, fantasy isn't. I already have an idea for a character that will be awesome. Like some hardcore badass renegade that plays by his own rules, and kills shit for fun. Designwise, I want him to really look cool, like Chris Metzen as some badass futuristic biker bounty hunter.

Good joke fellow gamer

wow dude great ideas you will trully revolutionize the industry, thanks for not doing another fantasy MOBA so tired of edgy, cliched things!

/s

Not a joke. It's a character idea I wanted to do for years, and I finally have a chance.

Thanks dude, I appreciate the support. Remember to follow our Facebook and twitter accounts

Thanks, it can be hard to come up with ideas sometimes, because I have so much cool shit just floating inside my head. I have a sick idea for an arena, wanna hear it?

wow that what i call edgy.

lol

>/s

I don't know if I should be angry.

That's the point. He's a renegade, he doesn't care what anyone thinks. He's there to kill shit, and kill it good.

Let me run that arena idea by you real fast. Ok it's called The Rig. It's an oil rig out on some ocean, with fucked up water from years of pollution and oil spills, and a thunderstorm is raging. Anyway it has 3 layers you can fight on with stairs leading to each, and the following hazards:

-throw people down stairs/over the railings on the stairs
-knock them into generators
-knock them into vents that shoot scalding hot steam
-knock them over the main railing and into the toxic ocean below, as their bodies slowly melt while they scream in horrible pain

Also, the rain is acid rain, and causes minor damage over time if you're in the areas of the rig the rain reaches through, you can try to mitigate the damage by getting to a vending machine on the rig, and buying energy drinks to replenish health.

It feels weird to seemingly be the only one who recognises this is copypasta.

You're not gonna find an arena that badass in Dark Souls pvp.

>Look ma, I posted again!

>the only one
You wish.

No I remember it. Just whats the point in bumping this shit

Probably bullshit but settings with fairly medieval weapons are pretty common now. Make it cyberpunk or sci fi at least

cyberpunk

>and people fighting in forests and castles. It's just boring as fuck.
you shot yourself in the foot or your sub-conc got you before you could speak.

Forest arenas and castle arenas are actually rare and fantasy wise would be fun.

Running through a forest mage or warrior, warrior closing the gap and the mage throwing of fireballs through the tree gaps.

Hmmm