Did the g sync (or equivalent) monitor really change the way you play/view your games? Was it worth it?

Did the g sync (or equivalent) monitor really change the way you play/view your games? Was it worth it?

Chump here with no idea on what to get

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amazon0064-20&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436072307&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer XG270HU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

freesync is great and i have 0 regrets
never having to worry about vsync is the greatest feeling ever. if screen tearing bugs you then its something you should definitely get.
do watch out for the adaptive sync range on the panels though because they dont always match the maximum advertise refresh rate and some of them have a 35Hz minimum adaptive sync range

i have a 970 so would i be better off getting a g sync one or will freesync work all the same? Also thanks user

Free sync only works with AMD GPUs

or next gen Intel

I have a GSYNC monitor and I like it a lot. It makes frame dips in the 45-60 FPS range hardly noticeable, which is very good for 4K gaming where maintaining that constant 60 FPS isn't so easy.

However I would honestly recommend freesync over gsync. The reason being is simple: If Nvidia stubbornly adopts Freesync within the next year or two then you still have the option to go with AMD or Nvidia for GPU's. If you buy GSYNC, you're stuck with Nvidia (unless you want to give up the feature entirely) until you replace the monitor.

Maybe someday people will hack the GSYNC chip and it can work with both AMD or Nvidia. But in my experience Nvidia is the turbojew who introduces exclusive features before abandoning them entirely. (I.e Lightboost, 3DVision, MFAA, TXAA) and none of their shit works with anyone else's hardware because fuck you that's why.

The g-sync monitor I bought was the best purchase I made for my PC.

IPS is incredible, absolutely amazing. The G-sync is also insane. 165hz is something to behold, and literally no screen tearing even at 40-50 frames. It's pretty amazing

Have a PG279Q, aside from the extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) shitty QC it's a great monitor, gsync is baller
If you're on a budget, freesync monitors are always cheaper

QC is way better in 2016

I have a 970 memedream card and willing to spent around 450 for a 27"" monitor, thats a reasonable amount, right?

Mine is Dec 2015, it has 2 dead pixels and dust behind the screen
Should go to microcenter to swap it out (extended warranty and shit) but the closest one is 3 hours away

It's okay. I paid $900 CAD for mine. Granted 4K and all.

For 1080p you can get very high quality monitors for that price. At 27" though you might want to consider 1440p.

Yeah I'm not too fussed for 4K at the moment but 1440p is a good shout.
So far the response has been positive so I'll start to do my research

Absolutely. I have an Acer G-sync monitor. It was normally $800 (this was last year) but I got it on sale for $400 during a Newegg flash sale. The actual picture quality of the monitor isn't that great, but the g-sync technology makes a big difference. it's a 144hz monitor and games are very smooth, especially thanks to the fact that v-sync and the performance hit that comes with it is unnecessary. It's mostly noticeable on action games, but it's also really nice on stuff like Vanishing of Ethan Carter. They are expensive, but I think it's worth it. My only hope is that g-sync IPS panels become more affordable.

What's this supposed to do? Limit tearing? Just limit fps to 144.

Running games on a 144hz monitor here, there's still a fucking dimensional rift when I move the camera without some kind of sync.

Linux user here. our Nvidia driver has an option called ForceFullCompositionPipeline which does some kind of magic to prevent tearing in games when vsync is off in the games and not forced on in the Nvidia control panel. it's different from Gsync/Freesync, and avoids the performance hit of non-adaptive vsync.

and to the >nogamez
faggots: I have over 900 and enough unplayed ones worth playing for a lifetime. the only notable ones we're missing are Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

At least until Nvidia offers support for it.

Which they said they'd do but who the hell knows when that will be.

Well, they didn't abandon MFAA or TXAA. GTA V was recent example of a AAA dev implementing it, and MFAA will forever work on any game that has MSAA implementation.

isn't gsync/freesync supposed to make even lower fps (as in 40, fluctuating) look good?

I got the Acer Predator, 1440p, 165Hz, G-sync, IPS. A tiny amount of backlight bleed but pretty good. Image quality is top notch and G-sync is absolutely amazing. No V-sync stuttering, no tearing, varying frame rates aren't an issue and input lag is negligible.

Can't comment for freesync but if it's even almost as good, it's the god tier upgrade that gets overlooked because plebs are okay with screen tearing

It does make FPS drops much better and variances aren't anywhere near as a pain. 40 is a touch low. 50FPS still looks half decent if the game was locked but jumping from 144+ to 50 would still be noticeable.

By abandon I mostly mean that they stopped talking about it or pushing it. It's still there in the same way x24 MSAA is but no game in the last decade supports it.

MFAA still isn't supported by SLI and they don't even mention it as a selling point for the GTX 1xxx series. It's there, but it's not marketed at all past the launch of Maxwell.

TXAA is even worse because only a handful of games support it. It's the PhysX of anti-aliasing. If Nvidia actually cared about it, it would be as common as HBAO+ is.

So many shitty AAs and gimmicks nowadays. We just gotta rely on raw power to get better performance at higher resolutions.

How does freesync/gsync work when you have two monitors? Especially two that are different where one doesn't support it?

Hell fucking yes. I always fucking hated screen tearing. It ruined games for me.

I went from a shit 1080p TN monitor to a 165hz G-Sync IPS. I haven't gotten screen tearing ever since.

Monitor shopping is very frustrating.

Well to be fair, TXAA has always been kind of a meme AA. It has like the best of intentions but it slurs up the screen way too much to be usable. Nobody would really miss it if it went away.

With MFAA, I think it's just kinda hard to market. It's handy, but you're not gunna wow alot of people by claiming you can do the equivalent of 4xMSAA with 5-8 fps to spare.

adaptive sync is great, nvidia proprietary jewsync is not. adaptive sync is a displayport standard for 2 years now and all you gamer gear mouth breathers still fall for the nvidia jew and gameworks gamer game shit

How would it even be possible for nvidia cards to support free sync?

support the actual standard outlined in vesa and displayport and stop forcing their own trash. this of course loses them money because they make a lot on the gsync boards that bypass monitor hardware to enforce gsync.

Thank you for this blog post

Amen to that.
>What a pretty IPS, but oh shit the delay is cancer
>Oh wow, the refresh rate on this thing is crazy, but its TN
>Holy fuck its a 1440p monitor, too bad it runs at 60hz
You really can't win.

I have a 970 and a rog swift, the TN one so picture isn't amazing but dat 1ms response and 144hz means I don't give many fucks.

Unfortunately there's no way I can ever go back after 144hz so I'm stuck in monitor hell forever. Good thing my favorite games are all low-spec by modern standards!

This is the worst.

Why not just dual-boot for exclusives? That's what I do. Linux, Windows 7, and Windows 10 to switch between.

amazon.ca/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amazon0064-20&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436072307&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer XG270HU

I got $500 CAD, anyone have a monitor better than this?

>tfw 144hz but washed out tn panel

variable sync is OK, but 120+ Hz with strobing is vastly better if you don't have a potato GPU

>tfw PG348Q

if you have nvidia open the nvidia control panel and increase digital vibrance

>100hz
>gsync
>34"
>21:9 1440p
>ips

Well for $1300, its out of my price bracket, may as well get a second pc at that point

But good on you to enjoy sweet luxury like that

So in other words, it will never happen.

I got a ASUS MG279Q for $400 maybe a month ago. Checks all my boxes, couldn't be happier.

27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync.