So I recently got a ds lite for pretty cheap and picked up a r4 card

So I recently got a ds lite for pretty cheap and picked up a r4 card.

I pretty much have had my head in the sand since this thing came out and holy shit are there a lot of games.... What are some of the good ones?

I'm open to anything just no jrpgs and no pokemon (nothing against jrpgs, but it's not my thing...)

Only games I have played so far is metal slug and the new super mario bros.

>no jrpgs and no pokemon
Might as well throw it in the trash then, that's like 98% of the reason to own one. Hotel Dusk.

Puyo Puyo has a few games on the DS

THIS

You have JRPGs, Strategy Games, and Pokemon. Past that is 95% shovelware. Sell it, buy a 3ds and come to the exact same conclusion.

Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime

It's not a JRPG, it's pure underrated magic.

Yugioh WC 2008-2011 are pretty good

Well I mean there has got to be some vaguely okay games that aren't jrpgs.....

I mean it was a pretty popular system for a while. Is that grand theft auto game any good?

game looks okay

>Yugioh WC

card games? wtf bro

phoenix wright series

ghost trick

metroid prime hunters

mario kart ds?

Phoenix Wright
Castlevania (unlock hard mode in the second and third for true challenge)
Advance Wars
Hotel Dusk
Retro Game Challenge

The DS has a staggering library that is great for anyone. My favorites are:
Puzzle Quest
Professor Layton series
Castlevania series
Meteos
Geometry Wars
Bomberman Land Touch
The World Ends With You
Trauma Center series

Ya Chinatown Wars is pretty great. The drug wars mini game is worth it alone. I honestly wish they scrapped the rest of the GTA same-mission formula and just fleshed out the drug dealing, it's GOAT as fuck.

This game is truly great

Whats wrong?

Might fall under the jrpg clause but check out spectrobes.
Also magical starsign.

Most people don't realize there was a Monster Rancher DS and that it's real tight.

Magical Starsign def falls under jrpg territory, and there's better jrpgs anyway. Although it was really great for it's time, when the DS had no library.

Any platformers I might be missing out on?

How about arpgs? did balders gate dark alliance ever make it on DS?

platformers:
Henry Hatsworth
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Castlevanias, all of em

not-platformers
TWEWY
Jump Ultimate Stars
Soma Bringer

Personally i loved magical starsign. Might just be me though.

Final fantasy 4
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Hoshigami
Dragon Quest 9
Children of Mana
Heroes of Light
The Dark Spire
Etrian Odyssey

Trauma Center: Under the knife is a lot of fun if you like surgery games. Sonic Rush is good too. the Zeldas kinda sucked though.

DS zeldas were the best handheld Zeldas bro

And if you really like surgery games (and detective games) there's also LifeSigns

learn2read
spirit tracks can suck deez nuts
trauma center is sick

>hating on Zelda when the stylus actually made the games comfy as fuck

PH was fucking boss. ST a shit tho

They were fucking garbage compared to Link's Awakening, get that garbage opinion out of here.

Theres the pokemon games
Pokemon Mystery dungeon
Pokemon Blue Ranger?

Not sure if you're into those games but the DS has a ton of 'em

It's not as great as you might remember.

Yep. I played Zelda and at first I wasn't sure about the controls, but the Stylus made me realize that I couldn't go back to using the d-pad or joystick for controls. It was just too damn good.

I mean, the console Zelda's are great too. But if you're putting one on the 3DS, make it stylus-only.

> he didn't read

When I first bought Phantom Hourglass, I put it off for the longest time because I wasn't sure if I'd like the stylus control. But after playing through PH (I think I only need three hearts and a bomb/arrow upgrade to finish), and now just finishing the Fire Temple (and I think 15/20 Force Gems and 17/20 Stamps) in Spirit Tracks, I think the stylus is no trouble at all, in fact I think some things (especially boomerang throwing) are much easier with the stylus than with traditional controls.

Jesus fuck you can't be serious

New Super Mario Bros can't be played with the stylus and therefore the game sucks and Nintendo doesn't love me. If only they gave you the option of using the stylus I would have bought New Super Mario Bros. :-(

Stylus control allows for gameplay mechanics that a joypad can't handle, eg moving and shooting in any direction instead of the classic four/eight, and using certain items in specific and new ways. Spirit Tracks has been designed around stylus controls. Simply put, they wouldn't have been able to implement the control pad as an alternative control option in ST without drastically changing the way in which the game and its items and its puzzles function.

Now I want a remake of Kirby's Pinball Land with touchpad controls for the ball. Being unable to move the ball unless you hit it with the flippers totally ruins the game for me. Hal Labs are gits and don't care about my enjoyment of pinball!

Brain Academy
Cooking Mama
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing

There was a learning curve for the touch-screen, but that's true for any new control scheme. Using the D-pad would be clumsy by comparison, because you'd only have 8 directions and one movement speed. The stylus gives you all the benefits of an analog stick, and is even more precise because you only need to point where you want to go.

user, you're looking at the gaming equivalent of what Apple does to interfaces. There are actually people that like it for God only knows why.

>Animal Crossing

isn't that the game where the animals talk to you and it's not really a game but kinda weird and creepy?

As with Phantom Hourglass, the stylus controls were great, and it's great to see a series actually incorporating all of the DS's features (though this one didn't have a close-the-DS puzzle, sadly). If you don't want stylus controls, don't play a DS game.

Now that I've got to actually try the stylus controls myself, they work extremely well. Although some swipes can be a little imprecise at times and it takes some time to get used to (if you haven't played PH before), you grow accustomed to it very quickly and it will seem like second nature before long.

I'm really satisfied on how they incorporated all of the DS's key features (the mic, touch screen, etc.) into ST. It really does explore the DS's capabilities which is always nice in a game. The stylus controls are most definitely not something you have to worry about in ST, at least not for me.

The Legend of Starfy
Super Mario 64 DS
Mario Kart DS
Chibi Robo Park Patrol
Mario and Luigi Bowsers inside story
Nintendogs

No, it's what The Sims would be without the strange roleplaying fantasies.

This is an untrue argument. The DS has a dpad, too. The argument that you shouldn't play a Zelda game without dpad controls "because it's a DS game" is just as valid.

Its fine stop moaning , i expect DS games to implement the DS features such as touch screen and mic D-pad controls would be boooring desu on the ds

Zelda games
The Mario 64 remake
Warioware D.I.Y.
>Castlevania games
>>>FF tactics A2 (just try it, is fucking gold)
Kiby, all of the kirby shit
>>>Yugioh world championship 2011
>>Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of the sky (this one is completely different to the other Pokemon games, give it a shot)

there is also a fuckton of jrpgs in the DS like Soma bringer and stuff.

No, it's less. Stop being retarded, just because the DS has a feature doesn't mean it has to be used. The feature that should be used is whichever one is the best one, and in the case of 2D Zelda, that is the dpad.

The dpad lets players have extremely fine tuned control with minimal delay or effort. The stylus offers less precision or accuracy, and yes those words do mean different things, with more effort into doing anything.

The stylus is ONLY for things other control schemes cannot accomplish as well. This is true of all games.

If they did make a D-Pad control option, they'd have to redesign the game to accommodate it. You can't walk with the D-Pad (and it would be stupid to have a run button like in SM64DS) so you need proper coordination to place Link where you need him. I'm fairly sure as well that the Spirit Tower has sound-sensitive floors much like the Ocean King Temple in PH, so they'd have to remove those.

The game's fine with stylus controls. If your hands are too big, get a bigger stylus. If your hands are in the way, find a better way to hold the stylus. I never have a problem with not seeing anything on PH.

Kirby Super Star Ultra
Castlevania games
Megaman Zero collection
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant wings (It's a RTS, not a JRPG)
Jump Ultimate Stars

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but it's been years since I last played with my DS

All of this is no issue at all because any of these mechanics can be built into dpad gaming. For instance a walk button is featured in lots of fps PC games.

Guess what? Nobody uses it in most games because a walk feature is of limited use from a game designer's perspective. Zelda doesn't make good use of it, which means it should have been designed with dpad controls in the first place.

The stylus should have been used for other things in those games.

Here's a real man's list (sorry OP, this may include some RPGs)

Ace Attorney series*
Chrono Trigger (it's a lovely port)
Dementium - The Ward*
Dragon Ball Origins
Feel the Magic*
Final Fantasy III + IV
Ghost Trick*
Gunpey
Hotel Dusk*
Kirby Super Star Ultra*
Lost in Blue
Mario Kart DS*
Meteos
Nanostray
New Super Mario Bros.
Professor Layton series*
Rhapsody - A Musical Adventure
Sands of Destruction
SMT Devil Survivor 1+2
Sonic Rush + Sonic Rush Adventure*
Sonic Colors
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach
Time Hollow
The World Ends With You*
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Zelda Spirit Tracks

*Play or die.

OP, play Lux Pain

It is an absolute must for the DS

No Advance Wars or Castlevania, list is for little boys.

H-hey shut up. I'm a man, alright.

>Inb4 "lol they're shit" shitpost

>Nintendogs

wtf is this? I looked it up and it was the #1 selling ds game?

da fuck?

Must've been an impressionable title, then.