Now that the cords have been sorted, what does Cred Forums think of VR?

Now that the cords have been sorted, what does Cred Forums think of VR?

Well, at least you didn't say "dust has settled"
Honestly, it needs another 20 years in the oven.
It failed, miserably. Come back when you nail down full-dive and we'll talk.

Same thing I thought a year ago.

It's incredible technology still in it's infancy. It's not really going to be a viable product for another 5 years.

However, it's still a mindbogglingly good experience at the moment. I just spent 3 hours playing table tennis with strangers on my Vive.

/thread

>it needs another 20 years in the oven.

AHAHAHAH fuck, you must be 13.

Kids really don't understand how fast tech moves.

>It failed, miserably.
You clearly haven't used a Vive.

It has great potential. Multi-directional treadmills will somehow have to be made for any type of FPS game to work and be immersive

maybe in 10 years

>Game announces it will have multi-directional treadmills for FPS VR game
>Immediately met with hatemail and death threats from SJWS for not being inclusive of the disabled or fat fucks who can't run/walk more than 5 minutes
Would be funny to see. But fucking no one is going to pay the outrageous VR price AND a fucking multi track treadmill which will take up a good chunk of space in your house user

I am eagerly looking forward to using (my housemate's) VR to watch fully-surround music videos while baked as fuck
She just wants extra immersive GalGun like the gay weeb she is

please leave Cred Forums
this is a safe space for people without friends or lives

>You clearly haven't used a Vive
No games = no good, user.
>you must be 13
20 years for full-dive is an understatement. At the rate tech has been moving, it'll be back in 10 years with gloves and shit for a "more real" experience, flop again, then come back another 10 years with something potentially passable.
The problem is, the VR people want is completely different from the VR people are making.
>We want full-dive, which involves taking direct input from brain and sending input back and being like OP image and attaching solely to the head, since anything else takes up infinitely too much space for the average consumer
>We're getting virtual reality and altered reality (occulos/vive and Hololens respectively) that is literally just an altered monitor and controller for Vive

About what I thought of it to begin with.

Not worth the price point, either in money, time, or space.

At least unlike motion wagglan controls I can say it has some decent applications, but I'm not sure their market is any bigger than the technology whore niche.

Also Immersion is a dumb meme.

>implying full-dive tech isn't being worked on right now
do you even follow DARPA bro

No, would you kindly inform me, user, since it seems I am uninformed and thus I may learn and not be a piece of shit in the future?
The DARPA page is not loading me as well so i can't educate myself.

Useless gimmick

Really gimmicky. I can play half the games with a Wii Mote without the 3D.

It's nothing crazy, we haven't gone full .hack yet, but DARPA is successfully transmitting signals directly to and receiving signals directly from the brain. Right now it's being used for prosthetics that feel, but once that tech is refined on there it can start expanding.
20 years for full-dive isn't unreasonable if that sort of technology is the stuff that's being shared with the public.

VR will never truly work unless it links directly to your brain Johnny Mnemonic style

>prosthetics
I knew the idea sounded familiar when you mentioned DARPA.
Neat, thanks user. See you in (hopefully) 20 or less years.

>Johnny Mnemonic style
>links directly to your brain
i'll have you know those are goggles.
I think what you mean to say is matrix style - which, lets quite be honest here is the most impractical asinine idea ever concieved. just look at all the rediculous amount of equipment you need just you can "jack in" as it were

Does anybody have that thread of the guy destroying all of the information on his computer setup? Like, running magnets over hard drives, all as the police are running in.
Wanting to edit that, but I don't know how to search for it or what it's from.

not the thread, the webm
or the gif
it's been a while

I haven't really been able to find a proper answer for this, although to admit I haven't looked particularly hard since it's a ways off until I have the money to blow on it, but how is Stereoscopic gaming with the Vive? Like just normal 3D gaming in a headset? I don't have a place to set all the room tracking shit up so I was hoping it would make for a quality novelty in it's sitting mode. I know Dolphin's latest update added support for that stuff but I was hoping for more than Melee and Nightfire in 3D.

I've heard you need Virtual Desktop to do it but that it also might not work as others say it does, I just don't know.

Is it worth picking up a vive kit for $500 dollaroos?