I've played my fair share of video games...

I've played my fair share of video games, and I sincerely doubt there will ever be a soundtrack that can top Martin O'Donnells work on Halo 1-3. Please do your best to prove me wrong.

youtu.be/6QjeoWeBzhg?t=2m3s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ckrbmA-NX7E
youtube.com/watch?v=bmWbQTtt2dY
youtube.com/watch?v=a70h0cX8AMM
youtube.com/watch?v=AQRH6kLMa1k
youtube.com/watch?v=m1cvcyi9oPU
youtu.be/a70h0cX8AMM
youtube.com/watch?v=gIQzfS1qmh4
youtube.com/watch?v=GTZi_5JzCyE
youtube.com/watch?v=SBjKWKN6jaI
youtube.com/watch?v=u5xZbJDZZo4
youtube.com/watch?v=4LKIsWOSHAY
youtube.com/watch?v=p2lwFiIaMAE&list=PL8DDD2D047A076DC8
youtube.com/watch?v=xh1KOmBOxTw
youtube.com/watch?v=C8vpUCum4IA
youtube.com/watch?v=XlftARg5xlU
youtube.com/watch?v=RzIJV8XrCEI
youtube.com/watch?v=-WWjwsCCOFM
youtube.com/watch?v=hV1pPgpcAVw
youtube.com/watch?v=zWzWibsL-LY&list=PL5F286D0D14A5E1B0
youtu.be/OO-vG8oPhhM
youtube.com/watch?v=_0usEURexYc
youtube.com/watch?v=qBaele3z2lU
youtube.com/watch?v=rq5PJZOHuRw
youtube.com/watch?v=qAvQNB_8HZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QmDRTK2PlNc
youtube.com/watch?v=qRNnQY0IIZs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here you go

youtube.com/watch?v=ckrbmA-NX7E
youtube.com/watch?v=bmWbQTtt2dY
youtube.com/watch?v=a70h0cX8AMM
youtube.com/watch?v=AQRH6kLMa1k
youtube.com/watch?v=m1cvcyi9oPU

Bump, and I'll elaborate on my point.

The halo soundtrack is literally the only musical background to a video game that I can return to, again and again, and still find some new detail that I have not noticed before. Say what you will about the games, but the detail in the soundtracks is an inspired element that adds so much depth to the story. The power behind these pieces are under-appreciated, and I wish more AAA makers would realize that there is more to a soundtrack than simply repeating some synthesized coda ad nauseam.

youtu.be/a70h0cX8AMM

Not to mention how across the trilogy his work returns to older themes and motifs in a new style, incorporating and reincorporating ideas very skillfully and wonderfully.

Never Forget is one of the best scores. I thought Reach's soundtrack was good too but not as good as 3. I love Reach so much.

Never forget may be the only song that can make me tear up. I get all nostalgic thinking about the summers I spent playing halo with my m8s in highschool. I also liked Marty's stuff in Destiny before he got fucked over.

youtube.com/watch?v=gIQzfS1qmh4
youtube.com/watch?v=GTZi_5JzCyE

I really like the soundtrack to these two games, idk if you'll like them op but here you go.

youtube.com/watch?v=SBjKWKN6jaI

You can feel the emotion in this piece within just the first few seconds.

Marty O'Donnell really deserves more recognition. Actvision's fault he was fired from Bungie, but still a shit thing that happened to not only an incredible composer, but also a damn good guy who actually cares about the games he composes for.

>tfw ODST was the article of the day on wikipedia today

I thought he just got fired because everyone was jealous that he made the biggest single contribution to every game.

>activision replaces his music with generic shit in a trailer at e3
>he gets upset
>current autistic bungie CEO thinks he's annoying and fires him
>the autist gets replaced later anyway when it turns out the game is shit, and has been getting better since

I really love the Halo OSTs, but here are some other ones that I think are masterpieces.

Nier
youtube.com/watch?v=u5xZbJDZZo4
youtube.com/watch?v=4LKIsWOSHAY
youtube.com/watch?v=p2lwFiIaMAE&list=PL8DDD2D047A076DC8 (playlist of everything)

Bayonetta
youtube.com/watch?v=xh1KOmBOxTw
youtube.com/watch?v=C8vpUCum4IA
youtube.com/watch?v=XlftARg5xlU

Oh wow. I had no idea Harold Ryan was gone. I pretty much stopped caring about Bungie when I heard Joe Staten was leaving. No Joe, no Marty = no soul. Hope things are better now.

that music is just so comfy

Whoa, neat. All Bungie Halo games are featured on Wikipedia.

Yeah, Pete Parsons is much better.

Halo 2/3 had some of the best soundtracks in vidya. Hate me all you want but Halo 4 had some pretty great tracks too.

youtube.com/watch?v=RzIJV8XrCEI

If Halo stopped at 3 it would be looked back on as one of the greatest series of all time.
But it's image has been tarnished.

me agree
what a fucking shame

Halo
Kingdom Hearts
Ace Attorney
Hotline Miami
Banjo Kazooie, Tooie
Sonic
Mario
Zelda
FFX, X-2
FF13, 13-2
Afro Samurai

I would forgive 343i for literally everything if they managed to bring Marty back to do their music. What nu-Bungie and Activision did to him should be considered a fucking crime.

Halo's music is pretentious pseudo-Wagerian garbage.

Not surprising underage kids think it is good. I place it in the same box of quality as Linkin Park.

Isn't Joe Staten back at Microsoft? If 343i had Marty and Joe back, the games might actually be good, at least story and music-wise.

Did 343 really have the Rookie killed off?

fuck off newfag.

Yes

Nobuo Uematsu's work beats any Halo game and I say this as a fan of both Halo and FF games.

Easily, anything from nier. Play more games not dude bro shooters brah

Come back to me when they created a language using real linguistics and dead languages

Truly one of the worst new studios in ages

They were supposed to be the good guys

Why does that matter and to what are you referring?

>They were supposed to be the good guys
What made you think that?

ODST is cheating. Its halo 3 music but better in every way

youtube.com/watch?v=-WWjwsCCOFM

Halo 5 is fantastic its only hated here cause its new and popular just like halo 3 was.

Except halo 3 was a large drop in quality from 2 & 1, and 4-5 really are shit

I dont think Halo 3 was a large drop in quality so much as it was an inevitable tying up of loose ends associated with the explosion of corporate culture that infiltrated Bungie as a consequence of their success. It's still a fine and full game.

>Halo 3
>large drop in qualify
>from Halo 2
Nein.

They were fanboys with a blank check from Microsoft. The end result was obvious.

Oh boy, Halo thread.

Campaign:
3>2>1=ODST>Reach>>>>5

Multiplayer:
Reach>3>2>5>1>>

>2>1=ODST.
No.
Campaign wise:
ODST >1>3=2>Reach >shit > 4

Reach custom games were the shit. The best gametype was crash-up derby.

Who here lived for griff ball?

compared to any other video game, halo has much more easily ascertainable thematic depth. Halo's 1 through 3, while not perfect, are titanic examples of quality video game craftsmanship. The people at Bungie elevated it to an art.

I would compare it to Jaws. Jaws is a fantastic gem of a movie, and despite the atrocious animatronic shark, budget issues, and cast conflict, it manages to be a fantastic, entertaining, and timeless movie.

> ODST above anything
Bungiecuck confirmed.

2/10

Here is your (You)

What is this "Bungiecuck" meme? Bungie Halos are objectively higher quality than 343i ones. And name 5 bad things about ODST.

No one wants your Cred Forums shit here.

>nobody posted this yet

youtube.com/watch?v=hV1pPgpcAVw

The original ME's soundtrack was so neat. Too bad 2 and 3's were generic.

Lorefag here, this is a meme complaint.

If anything his death was an actually really clever decision; because it saves him from being an S4, which would ruin everything that makes him a fun character, and allows him to show up again and be narratively useful, without ruining the potential for them to tell more stories about stuiff he's done up till now.

There's plenty of other things that are actually worth getting mad over that they've done story and lore wise, such as completely dropping the absolute record as a plot device/it existing to begin with, killing jul off, which unlike the rookie's death, actually shuts the door on interesting plot threads they could have expanded on, etc

They've actually done a really good job with the books overall, they just suck at writing stories for the games

1's campaign has so many flaws, it baffles me it's not in last or second to last place on people's lists. Even halo 4's campaign was better purely in terms of the missions

FFCC will always be top tier

youtube.com/watch?v=zWzWibsL-LY&list=PL5F286D0D14A5E1B0

Fuck griffball fat zombie is where it's at

>even halo 4's campaign was better purely in terms of missions
I'm glad I can throw your opinion into the dumpster.

Heroes 3 and 4
Darksiders 2
Age of Empires 2
Red Alert 2
American McGee's Alice
Unreal Tournament 2004

are all better.

Reach took that shit to the next level and that level with the big tower was so fucking cool. Loved assassinating people and launching their corpse off of that thing

>halo 2
>unfinished campaign

Halo Combat Evolved was my favorite campaign.

Even the aspects a lot of other people hated were things I loved. When I played Assault on the Control Room I was blown away and I had never experienced a such an amazing sandbox for a shooter. When I got to play it again in Two Betrayals, they gave it a twist. I am not the main threat to the Covenant. The Flood is. The sentinels are. I am just trying to get to the other side of this battlefield. Picking and choosing the battles was fun. And they let me pilot the banshee for even longer this time around.

People didn't like the flood? I loved the flood. There introduction was really spooky and well done.

People didn't like the Library? It goes down as a mission I will never forget beating because I was scared to go around every corner. They turned a huge open shooter with vehicles into this compacted horror level.

It was though.

I'd be interested to see you rate CE's and 4's missions mission by mission, because I just can't see why or how you could say CE's is anything but tied at best

>The Pillar of Autumn: 6/10
>Halo: 5/10
>Truth and Reconcillation: 7/10
>Silent Carographer: 9/10
>Assault on the control room: 8/10
>343 guilty spark: 7/10
>The library: 2/10
>Two betrayals: 4/10
>Keyes: 5/10
>The Maw:: 6/10

>Dawn: 6/10
>Requim: 7/10
>Forerunner: 7/10
>Infinity: 7/10
>Reclaimer: 6/10
>Shutdown: 8/10
>Composer: 6/10
>Midnight: 8/10

On top of CE having lower average quality, CE's campaign suffers more just in general with having less enemy and weapon variety, reusing geometry, and simplistic and repetitive environments..

also, are you implying the 343 novels HAVEN'T been good, or that what I said about the rookie's death isn't valid?

Depends what you like really
I actually prefer halo 2

Literally IGN tier bullshit.

>halo 5
>popular

The thing about 343 guilty spark and the library and whjat you said is that only works once

After the intial time you play through those levels blind, they get way worse, and in the library's case, litterally every postive trait that mission has fucking vanishes

Most of the postive points in general you list are things that only apply for it's time back in 2001 or for the first time you play it.

I'm not saying the campaign is bad, i'm just saying compared to it's sequels it's clearly not as good if you put your biases aside.

Gee those sure were compelling arguments user.

What's wrong with Halo 2? The only things halo 3 has over 2 is forge/theater

What campaign is still there kick's the shit out of CE and 3's campaign though

Is this post a joke?

youtu.be/OO-vG8oPhhM

christ give CE a break it's literally the first FPS ever made

>one liner with subjective numeric rankings
>compelling arguments

>not even wilderness
try again

I didn't say my post was compelling, i was just saying yours wasn't.

I at least tl;dr'd my reasoning, you didn't even do that. I'm happy to go into more detail myself if you'd read it and respond in just as much, but you clearly wouldn't since you didn't even do that for my existing post.

I typically replay Combat Evolved's campaign once a year (sometimes twice). I have been doing that for 15 years now.

You are welcome to think that. Those were my initial reactions to the levels, yes. But I often find new things to do in those games. I am the kind of guy that gets enjoyment from making as many non hostile flood combat forms on the library as possible (Shoot off melee limb when the weapon isn't equipped or shoot off both arms). I also enjoy playing dodge the rocket in hallways and on that bridge near the end of Two Betrayals.

Though my first playthrough of the game was the best, my most memorable one was just before reach came out. Me and five buddies got a bunch of consoles together and saw who could coop speedrun the fastest. No rules. Scaling the cliffside in Assault on the Control Room? Check. Shooting the banshee off the platform at the beginning of the level? check. Exploding the warthog across the map while using temporary invincibility from an overshield? Check. I lost. Hard. But it was fucking awesome.

I feel like discussion of Halo never comes close to touching on just how immensely crucial co-operative campaign and the multiplayer to most people's experiences. This series was amazing but the most amazing memories are almost always ones you got to have alongside others who were there enjoying it all with you.

1/2/3 had amazing OSTs.
Very few really draw me into a game, outside of a few tracks like it did, but Okami was one of them

youtube.com/watch?v=_0usEURexYc
youtube.com/watch?v=qBaele3z2lU
youtube.com/watch?v=rq5PJZOHuRw
youtube.com/watch?v=qAvQNB_8HZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QmDRTK2PlNc
I could go on, and this is only the first like half of the game.

What did they do to him anyways?

Fucking cozy as shit, but hints of sadness mixed in. It was great.

0:54 sounds almost like Enya

Undertale's soundtrack topped it

>>>/tumblr/

It's pretty short
The animations are somewhat unnatural
It was a bit overpriced for an expanded expansion
The ending isn't quite as climactic as I hoped and worst of all:
There will never be a sequel

this is a pretty rad thread, I always try to talk about halo music in other game music threads but no one ever wants too

youtube.com/watch?v=qRNnQY0IIZs

around 3:30
>holy shit that's groovy