What was the worst case of reused assets you have seen in vidya?

What was the worst case of reused assets you have seen in vidya?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xG5psTMqGJM
youtu.be/_Jpc2ZOLXRM
youtu.be/tDkg-tzxdvM
youtu.be/urpnlQMT0Zo
youtube.com/watch?v=L_3iT0DzyIA
youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ
lotl.wikia.com/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost_Wiki
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=309801
twitter.com/Gmagami
exhentai.org/tag/artist:great magami
youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's really bad is the newer Darkstalker characters got drastic increases in quality that it became jarring.

Not really. The Darkstalkers characters are all pretty even in terms of quality. It's not like SF Alpha where everyone that debuted in SFA1 looks like a flipbook compared to everyone else.

>Demitri looked his best ever in SvC Chaos

Kill me.

Nah, he looks too dark and serious in SvC. Lost all the cartoony charm of the original. Plus he doesn't even have Demon Blast.

Now make one for every game the SFA1 Ryu sprite was in.

Metal Gear Survive.

Neptunia games

there's nothing good about svc chaos

It's not really that bad of an example, but I like how butthurt this guy gets about it

youtube.com/watch?v=xG5psTMqGJM

> I really don't know what to say anymore

> Extremely disappointed

SNK Capcom Sprites>>>>>>>Capcom SNK Sprites

It also has Mars People as a playable character and so is objectively the best fighting game ever made

Atlus as a whole.

That
it looked fucking terrible in CvS and CvS2 especially. Fucking sawtooth pixels next to characters drawn especially for the new game.

The Shin Megami Tensei series loves reusing 2D art

They're the same resolution. One isn't any more pixelated than the other.

And 3D models.

To be fair that Morrigan sprite is still amazing, so no wonder they re-used it.

Castlevania
Nothing wrong with reusing assets though. I'd rather that the developer focused their energy on things that actually matter than purely cosmetic things.

New characters sprites were good, but SF characters looked like shit.
And Balrog is just a heavy D edit for the fucks sake.

Also KoF characters didn't got new sprites and pretty much got franksteined there.

Every call of Duty since 4

Also the hobbit trilogy

Lesser colors and different style so it's more apparent on Morry. Especially on the black outlines.

Most of the SF characters looked better mainly because they were based on their SF2 sprites imo, which had the best look for most of them

All of Darkstalkers spites were ahead of their time. It really raised the bar in fightign game sprites. That's part of why Alpha 1 's step back was so apparent. Although apparently Alpha 1 was originally intended to run on previous generation hardware, so there was a reason for it.

They looked weird as fuck.

But well, now capcom will going reuse Morrigan 3d model from TvC forever.

This is a really bad graphic when half of the entries are for the same series built for the same hardware. Also lol at the english game names.

Story of Seasons.
They took the buildings and decoratives and such from HM: A New Beginning, which are all individual items and segments due to how you get to place them yourself in ANB, but it uses them as static scenery in SoS. So what would normally be a nice fence smoothly attached to a house with some kind of gate becomes a house, then a small space (too small to fit through) a 2x1 fence segment, another space, another segment, etc.

They reused the same UI and general design, as well.

All that fucking hubbub over "this is the actual HM devs making SoS, not that minecraft shit the publishers goons are making(lost valley?)", and i get slapped in the face with laziness.

For some reason whenever i gripe about this people have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about, so I guess I must be the only person to play both A New Beginning and Story Of Seasons

Kof 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, XI, SvC, 98UM, 2002UM, Neowave, and NGBC all having heavily reused assets.

New frames on characters looked weird as fuck, and new characters didn't really matched the old ones.

At least Kyo got updated for every saga.

Mega Man Battle Network.

Pic is two screenshots are from the first and second games in the series. Look at how hard they half-assed the renovations. They keep doing this stuff - I wanted to get an image from more than these, but it's hard as fuck to tell which images come from which game because they're all identical

Why change the perfection?

thanks doc

Oh look, they moved the football.

youtu.be/_Jpc2ZOLXRM
youtu.be/tDkg-tzxdvM
youtu.be/urpnlQMT0Zo

I'm gettin real sick of this New Super Mario shit.

BAH

This

NFS undercover reuses Rockport map from MW on PS2/Wii versions.

And Carbon reuses a lot of shit from MW anyways.

None of this shit can hold a candle to motherfucking LIMBO OF THE LOST.

They reused assets that they didn't make, or own, or have the rights to use

youtube.com/watch?v=L_3iT0DzyIA

>All of Darkstalkers spites were ahead of their time.
Yeah, especially the Rikou-Lord Raptor (and later Jedah) ones where they shape shift for their attacks were amazing.

What kind of kid gets his carpet redone every year? I mean, it is a kid's room, so it's not like the main items are going to change much, but they could've at least moved them around.

Quite a bit of the game uses backgrounds that are actually just screenshots of other popular games

So that's where Domo-kun's room was from.

This. I'd have no problem with dungeons being recycled between games, but when the same dungeon is recycled five times within the same game under different names? Then we have a problem.

Igarashi-era Castlevania. They were still reusing a lot of the Rondo sprites by the time of Harmony of Despair.

Halo CE's single player

it disgusts me as a halo fan that so many people suck CE's dick in terms of it's campaign

The entire second half of the campaign is just the first half in reverse with minor changes, and even inside each level there's a shit ton of reused geoemtry and textures.

>reused geometry in CE
Holy fuck i hate this so much, I had no idea if I was making any progress because half the areas in the middle (winter area) looked the goddamn same

Nobody plays Arcana Heart but shit, it hasn't really changed its sprite work at all. Only the artists changed.

Final Fantasy X-2.

Nothing will top it.

I fucking remember this

It wasn't that bad compared to the indoor levels.

Dark souls.

All of dark souls.

recycling shitty code is the worst offending action

To be fair it was because Konami gave them scraps to work with, basically leftover money, this came out from Iga's own mouth

A kid with a true passion for hue-shifting, that's who

Ring Runner is reused assets: The Game you lost it
>57 player-usable small ship hulls, almost every single enemy you fight is one of these and there aren't even any cosmetic tweaks other than a blue skin for one team and red for the other
>3 miscellaneous ship hulls
>4 carrier hulls, and I think one is just a slight tweak of another
>3 small, simple arenas which are only slight tweaks of each other and together make up a lot of the levels in the game
>every open area is either a scrap field, city, suburb, or asteroid field; using random placement of a small set of assets for each
>in almost every galaxy, you ask someone where Solipso is, and then you have to do mercenary work to find out some minor fact
Still has great replayability though, since the skill ceiling is insane.
I built a ship that does better than most players even if I don't touch the controls.

I "play" it.

Metroid prime 2 half of the stuff is literally reused assets.

The other half is recoloured assets.

holy moly is it 2008 again?

Do you know of a comprehensive list of stolen things from this game? I'm really curious.

No, it's youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

Why would it be 2008?

Neptunia.

Someone post the picture.

The 3D Pokémon games have been using the same models since Stadium, although admittedly most of them get touched up, it's only slightly. Not many changes in animations, either.

Some high-quality spritework could actually compliment the series I feel. UNiB's spritework happens to be a favorite of mine.

Pokemon. X and Y -> ORAS - > Sun and Moon.

the winter level had plenty of awful indoor segments that got repeated in Two Betrayals

Not even close, models from X/Y are brand new from scratch, and they are pretty much future proof because that shit is hi poly as fuck.

Slap a new texture work and the model looks good as new. Also that why the game runs like shit. Unless you mean Colosseum and you know who.

SNK, both before they went bankrupt and after the merge are so goddamn lazy. Those Metal Slug sprites are still being reused, their 'ports' are shitty emulations, and then there was that lump of dung that was the Neo Geo X.

yeah they must be pretty high poly, the game somehow dips in frames when there's just a single model on screen without any particle effects or anything.

He means the console ones, IE Colosseum, gale of darkness, battle revolution, etc

Battle revolution is a wii game but many gen 1/gen 2 pokemon in it still use n54 models with just new textures

Majora's Mask

Even if it is the greatest video game ever made

They are really Hi poly, but keep in mind, soon as a new pokemon game is out they have another one in the pipeline, having future proof models are a must, because nobody is going remake 721+ mons again for another game.

I gotchu senpai. Buckle up, it's fucking insane

lotl.wikia.com/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost_Wiki

brawl uses stadium 2 models as well, not sure if smash 4 does or not.

and are right, that's what I meant. Should have clarified - though I think a very small number of models may have been reused in X/Y as well

Porygon's model remains identical from Stadium; it just uses a higher quality texture, wheres as before it was literally an untextured model using gouraud shading.

Off my head I can name a few. Serious Sam, oblivion, I wanna say wolfenstein. By no means is this a complete list.

>untextured
Jesus, really?

That some cool trick to use sometimes, some blocks on mario games are literally untextured but colored by shaders.

It is more effective for simple stuff.

Thanks man.

retard

makes sense

Fallout 4

Man, I really hate megaman 8 sprites, 7 sprite looked way better.

source? I fucking hate how google doesnt give shit now.

Holy shit I remember this but always forgot what games it was so I could never find it, thanks user

I never liked the 7 and 8 sprites

Don't forget that textures on the N64 were absolute balls. Solid color+gouraud was a pretty reasonable trade

Artist is Great Magami.

twitter.com/Gmagami

Hope you like oversized, huge tits, wide hips, thick thighs

1. Why is this image so fucking huge
2. How did I never notice that Megaman's :| face was so goofy

I don't know much about shaders, that's interesting

Yeah, I know, but it seemed easier to me to get around it with Mario stuff like Bob-ombs as opposed to Porygon, considering he's multicolored and his eyes are flat with his face. Guess you learn something new every day, though

>textures on the N64 were absolute balls

everything you just described sounds fantastic

Nintendo really knows a lot of tricks to optimize the games or have neat workarounds on their console limitations.

I think that Windwaker have a article somewhere with a lot of stuff about it.

Still lowres as fuck, user. The artists were just good.

You have to remember that when people talk about shit like gouraud shading and flat shading this isn't remotely like modern pixel shading (which works per-pixel).

It's literally interpolated vertex colors which is a technique so simple even the PS1 easily and frequently did it (because it was a lot faster than texturing).

Of course it's low-res (although not as much as some other N64 games). There's just a shitload of variety and multi-texturing.

Straight out tiling is kept to a minimum. It's probably the best textured game of that console generation.

to be fair porygon doesn't really need new models, that's kinda his entire concept

Everything in TERA.

Again, the artists were better - at both creating and utilizing their textures. I think we agree there.

>tfw no arcana heart 4 with HD sprites

Modern Warfare 3 had a reversed section from Modern Warfare 2 in it's last level. I can't think of anything lazier than that.

I hate reused sound effects. Valve is the worst at this, but the problem is that they have reused such old sounds for so long it's basically a meme.

>source_metalbreak.wav

N64 was miles better than PS1 for 3d, the major problem was cart space and pricing at time.

PS2 was a fucking nightmare to code and shaders barely worked on it. I still wonder why devs didn't called Sony over their shit for 3 fucking consoles.

I remember when this used to play on Cred Forums for a while after release.
youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0

This game came out 9 years ago

Mario Kart Wii reused tons of character models from MKDD which was why the roster had tons of previous racers from MKDD. They didn't have to worry about creating so many new character models.

Not to mention the character select animations were identical from double dash.

Only Mario had some significant model changes but everyone else in the character select was identical.

What seriously happened is IGA didn't work on CotM but seeing it made had him wanting to make castlevania again so he asked the heads at Konami to let him work on one and they said they would put his name on the American version of CotM and let him take control of the series after that if he promised to make titles on a yearly schedule, while also putting him under pressure to work with a smaller budget and team, so he reused so many enemy assets to focus on other things

Source is a fat interview he did when he revealed Bloodstained

Sonic Mania...it hurts, we were so close to getting a new good sonic game. Fucking sega man

>ok we can't reuse the IMPORTANT NPCs because that'd be weird

>so no Ganondorf
>and no Zelda
>and no Impa

>Ganondorf's mom though?
>eh make them some random shop keepers

Conker probably had the best tech on the N64, just in general. Makes sense since it was made by a major studio right at the end of the console's life cycle.

Other crazy shit that Conker did on the N64:

> 3D facial expressions
> Full voice acting with lip syncing
> Dynamic shadows
> Other stuff that's listed on the wikipedia page

Original PS1 was a well designed console. Much easier to program than the N64 which had a memory architecture that was ridiculously hard to to optimize (putting the entire console on a single memory bus that gives priority to the GPU or the CPU kinda does that).

No idea what the fuck Sony was thinking with the PS2 and PS3 though.

PS2 doesn't actually support hardware pixel shading, but it can be simulated through manually blending pixels which is just fuckloads more complicated to set up.

Every Bethesda game.

Dragon Age 2 is the only answer. What a fucking embarrassment that was.

*over the CPU

God damn, even the part that's supposed to be stupid...it's not even funny enough to watch it ironically without skipping ahead

GC had programmable shaders and could ran at 480p at time. Neat stuff, but most devs fucked the textures because disk space.

PS2 in comparsion ran at like 320p and upscaled some stuff.

But well, Wii was literally 2 GC strapped together.

Came here to post this. They reused areas and blocked off different rooms to give the sense of variety. But it was so jarringly inconsistent with the environment that I assumed they were breakable walls or openable in some way. iirc, the blocked off rooms even showed on the minimap.

Actually yeh that always bugged me. Add to that that every Halo basically just throws in multiplayer maps into single player sections. Best example I remember was the Reach beta level in the office complex showing up in the 8th level of campaign.

fucking perfect, thanks man

Yeah, holy fuck.

Some key technical limitations for PS1 developers:

> No floating point numbers - this is why PS1 graphics "jitter" when they move. The verts are unable to move in smaller increments

> No depth buffer/no intersecting triangles - it can't draw a single triangle that's being clipped by another single triangle. It can only draw one of them, and then draw the other entirely on top. Sometimes, the ordering of two clipping triangles changes back and forth at high speed - this is why deforming objects like characters have flickery triangles popping in and out all the time

> A texture on a flat plane will not necessarily map for perspective distortion correctly when the camera angle changes. This is why straight lines on a road texture are not guaranteed to appear straight while racing

B-BUT NINTENDO NEVER REUSES STUFF!!! THEYRE NOT LAZY!!

People like to hate on DA2 because it was the most obvious with this but it was also a very common thing in Mass Effect 1, the main difference I suppose being that the copy pasted stuff was only on the optional planets to explore instead of the main quest

Sonygger lies.

Who are you quoting?

>exactly 1 minute apart

Who the fuck are you fooling?

Reusing assets isn't bad per se, the problem is reusing shit over and over again or just reusing areas for no reason without any changes.

Some pokemon sprites were the damn same since gen 2 with minimal updates till they ditched the sprites, and nobody bitched.

GC's pixel shading unit wasn't fully programmable, but it was still very powerful since it could do 16 color combines per pixel.

It's a little known fact, but the N64 actually had a pixel shader as well. An extremely similar one to the Gamecube actually, but it could only do 1 color combine per pixel so considerably less capable.

Xbox had fully programmable pixel shaders, but the Gamecube was better at one particular aspect in that regard: the Xbox's shader could only address 4 texels per pixel while the Gamecube's shader had a loopback feature that could do 8 texels per pixel.

After playing 7 and 8, I can't force myself to play MKWii. Goddamn, it looks so shitty. And I am one of the people that generally don't care about graphics in games.
The art style is so inconsistent. The bloom kills me. And this ignoring the game itself plays like ass, fucking bikes and Funky.

Shame that most devs treated GC like some kind of a bit more powerful PS2. But I really noticed that because some ports have missing shader effects or have different shaders.

Sonic heroes for exemple, shaders are way different on every port, aside ps2 who uses animated textures.

I think that very few devs fudged around the stuff on GC.

Thats cause sonic team used the gamecube as a base system for all their games that gen. 6th gen sonic games were best on gamecube, very good on xbox thanks to it being a raw powerhouse, and shit on the ps2, thanks to their inexperience and the console itself being garbage.

Gamecube/PS2/Xbox felt like the point when developers could actually make the shapes that they wanted to make, instead of having to make everything into an excuse for some kind of 3D limitation.

> Xbox had fully programmable pixel shaders

Fun related fact: The Xbox's original name was the "DirectX Box."

Majora's Mask. It felt like 40% of the assets from Legend of Zelda were reused to make it.

the reason why most triple a games are locked to windows is because consoles use direct x and microsoft pays those big bucks for them to do it

Monster Hunter.

Xbox was literally a PC in a box, hell the DVD drive is literally same as a PC.

And Microsoft got some big bux with devs porting stuff to PC because direct X.

Yeah sonic team anchored Sonic games on GC at time, but If I remember Sega refused to port some games to PS2 because it was shit to code, and because a little of salt. But they helped on Xbox hueg.

For what fucking reason was this post removed? Holy shit Japanese-Moot, get a hold on your out-of-control "i make up my own rules" mods.

I actually really enjoyed the copy/pasted buildings. They were very creative with the interior layouts, especially in the DLC.

>But I really noticed that because some ports have missing shader effects or have different shaders.

The real reason is that PS2, Gamecube and Xbox all had completely different ways of doing pixel shading.

PS2 did manual pixel blending.

Gamecube had a fixed multi-stage color combiner.

Xbox used HLSL scripts which were extremely versatile though bound by a few physical limits.

Given the time it takes for a post to go through after submitting it, if it was indeed samefag, there'd be a gap of 61-65 seconds, not exactly 60.

But they made a point of that storywise. It was a novelty seeing characters from OoT appear in a parallel universe.

Those were back sprites though. They don't really matter in the way the front sprites do.

I dunno how bad all the yearly sports games are but the WWE games the past few years have been horrible with reused shit.

Warhammer total war, or rather their reuse of the shitty voice actors.

That one time EA solo FIFA 13 for wii and it was literally LITERALLY FIFA 12, full price even.

Come on dude, you know image search doesn't play nice with crops

A crazed mod deleted the original source post.

Artist is Great Magami.

twitter.com/Gmagami

Someone post the picture detailing how Bethesda reused animations of a monster from Oblivion (Perhaps even Morrowind) for Deathclaws in FO3, tweaked them a little and reused them for Skyrim's werewolves.

Why would Lan's room change much between games anyway?

Mega Man's sprite was shit, and they could have improved it, if they really tried.

>eh make them some random shop keepers
I thought that was cute. Some of the most villainous characters being just regular old witches trying to get by.

Narratively speaking, there's no requirement for his room to change.

In terms of sequels, though, you're expected to escalate, or something

>re uses everything halfway through the game

Well considering it's an RPG, the narrative is an important aspect. I personally count consistency in narrative a positive thing. Change for change's sake isn't good for world building.

>you're expected to escalate
They escalated in parts of the game that mattered, like the net design, and battle system, and chip library , and all that jazz.

Everything looks completely different in MP2, what are you talking about?

Metal Gear Survive bases it's premise on soldiers from before TPP go to another dimension has assets with the Diamond Dog logos.

Probably Dragon Age 2 for me, with WoW coming up second maybe.

The reused locations in DA2 was something to behold, actually incredible that they had the nerve to release that game.

Enemies during vanilla and TBC were so often reused in WoW it was ridiculous.

SNK is pretty crazy about recycling old work, pretty sure they used sprites from kof94 when they did kof2k2 and all later the versions of it just adding more characters.

Capcom vs SNK2 was the worst because everyone else was pretty detailed while morrigan was just some ugly ass cutout

Most the old characters got updated too, Rikuo got loads of new sprites and animations from Hunter to Savior

this is a nice cat