Besides The Witcher series and Geralt, what are some other games where I can play a Mary Sue?

Besides The Witcher series and Geralt, what are some other games where I can play a Mary Sue?

Other urls found in this thread:

gotoquiz.com/is_your_character_a_mary_sue_2
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mary Sue
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Any weeb game.

Dragon's Dogma, modern Fallouts, WoW

ýou don't understand what mary sue means

Aw that's so cute you guys found a new phrase to parrot into a cliche where none of you actually knows what it means.

>daily reminder that Mary Sue doesn't mean "character I don't like"

Lol i posted it again

This is fucking adorable

>Geralt
>not Ciri Sue

Yeah Geralt might be a male power fantasy but he ain't a Mary Sue. Now Ciri on the other hand is pretty close to being one.

Damn Witchertists are angry today

shut the fuck up kid

Damn, shitposters are shit today

Dragon Ball Xenoverse. Your OC is 100% mary sue.

We just had this thread a couple hours ago

Give it a rest, you autist.

>Dude people hate witchers but we still have sex and get hired by the government all the time

you are an autist

Kind of like black people, huh.

Geralt is literally incapable of being a Mary Sue because he is a male and not a female.
If you want a Mary Sue look no further than Micaiah from Radiant Dawn. And the worst part is, she's only a Mary Sue via the story, in actual gameplay she's fucking bad. On a scale of 1 to 10 unit wise, starting at 5
She's a mage
>-1
She uses Light magic
>-1
She has low speed defense and skill growths
>-3
She starts with a high rank in Staves once she promotes to tier 3
>+1
She can heal people (albeit at a loss of her own hp) without staves
>+1
Because she uses light magic, and because she has low speed and skill, she will never double or one hit kill an enemy, or crit, meaning she's great at weakening other units so your other dudes can get an easy kill without risking retaliation.
>+1

So yeah, she's a 3/10 unit when all is said and done, but the story makes her appear perfect at everything. She always makes the best decision possible, is the voice of a Goddess, has super ultimate powers via said Goddess (which she can't fucking use in practice ffs), and she's so loving and caring and good.
Fuck Micaiah, Nolan should have been the leader of the Dawn Brigade, and Micaiah shouldn't have been flawless story wise without also being flawless gameplay wise. If you're gonna sell me something sell the real fucking deal.

what are the questions motherfucker

Totally an unbiased image by a Mary Sue worshiping cuck

thats pathetic.
witcher series is overrated as fuck though - its also plagiarism which is why i will always pirate it.

gotoquiz.com/is_your_character_a_mary_sue_2
Post your results

>its also plagiarism
I know it borrows HEAVILY from Dark Souls and its timeless formula, but to be fair that's not enough to call it plagiarism.

>See Mary-Sue. A female fanfiction character who is so perfect as to be annoying. The male equivlalent is the Marty-Stu. Often abbreviated to "Sue". A Mary Sue character is usually written by a beginning author. Often, the Mary Sue is a self-insert with a few "improvements" (ex. better body, more popular, etc). The Mary Sue character is almost always beautiful, smart, etc... In short, she is the "perfect" girl. The Mary Sue usually falls in love with the author's favorite character(s) and winds up upstaging all of the other characters in the book/series/universe. There are several main types of Mary Sue:

lol now when i´m aware of this i cant play half the AAA´s anymore. god damn that shit is pathetic. like at least million shows do this from superman to matrix & life is strange

maybe you should do some more research. Im too lazy to spoonfeed you. Google is your friend

Mass Effect, obviously

>Geralt is literally incapable of being a Mary Sue because he is a male and not a female.

Very clever bitch nigga, but Mary Sue is a universal calling card and doesn't need to be gendered like autists did with GARY STU or other crap. (Which no doubt comes from some autists hatred of character Gary from Pokemon)

You have to be pretending to be stupid, I know you're not this adamant about your silliness.

I took the test for the main character of an old Flash game I made. I'm pretty sure the character was accidentally based on me.

> 11% Mary Sue.

Clearly, I fucking hate myself

Yeah, I generally try to make characters that are pretty divorced from myself so I was hardly surprised. I do like to plagiarize from other sources of course for inspiration, but who doesn't at this point?
What concepts are actually new? I spend hours trying to make something "new" that's "neva been dun befoah" and shit's impossible. Best thing you can do is just look at good characters and decide what about them makes them a "good" character. What makes a good villain? A good hero? A good buddy that knows he's not up to snuff but tries anyways? A scared little bitch nigga that may or may not stop being a bitch nigga, which one do they become? Why? And at what point in the story? Early on or late, at the crucial moment, or after they fail at a crucial moment, with the guilt and shame forcing them to become better, or to fall to pieces.

The image acts like it's impossible to make a non-Mary Sue character

Which it isn't. It's pretty easy.

>hating based Gary Motherfucking Oak
I'll never understand those people

> Max Payne
> an alcoholic, cop-killing depressed mess of a man
> "perfect"

What a shitty picture

Obviously
Its making fun of retards who use "Mary Sue" with as much frequency of toilet paper.

Try to identify powerful emotional moments in your life, then make however many characters you need to convey the way it felt

While true, nobody wants to admit that their favorite character could be a Mary Sue either.

>newfags getting mad at copypasta

Cred Forums never changes, boys

How is Max Payne a Gary Stu?

I've honestly had quite the boring life. Most of my most emotional (non negative) moments would be vicarious feelings from others both real and imagined. Not imaginary friends imagined but fictional characters from books and movies.

I'm sure I could make a few somewhat unique characters out of the negative moments of my life but I don't really know if I want to. For one I'd rather just forget about the time my dog died or my parent's divorce or the time my father almost beat me and my brother or all that nasty shit. I'm not one for depressing stories or experiences, I'd rather read or write about an adventure.

>19%
>pic related
my drug addict Shadowrunner from Dragonfall

no you´re just stupid and need to read this before replying to me anything, kid urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mary Sue

>Victim!Sues: The Victim!Sue is your whiny, wimpy, pathetic female character who can't seem to do much of anything except cry and get herself into trouble that the romantic interest of the fic has to rescue her from.

Max in Max Payne 1 & 2 is actually trying to do something about his problems

Max Payne 3 is garbage though

edgy as fuck

Xenoblade X

How is Max Payne a Victim!Sue?

He's neither a Gary Stu nor a Victim!Sue, he's a semi complex character. Yes he's got the tragic past and skills that work outside the universe (bullet time) but he's a real human bean and struggles with alcoholism and depression, and makes several bad calls and more than a handful of mistakes. He also gets involved in rather nasty business on the regular, sometimes voluntarily, and although he's on the side of good he's definitely a bit dirty in how he handles it.

In MP3 his alcoholism and depression reaches critical mass and he eventually finds absolution and stops with the inner monologue and drinking, having overcome his guilt and substance abuse and renouncing his jaded view of the world.

He goes through complex development and has actual motivations, and even when he's at his lowest he's not a whiny bitch about it. Somewhat suicidal, but he's not whining, he's just sad and angry and ready to kill some motherfuckers, even if he dies doing it.

> vicarious feelings from books and movies

Whelp, enjoy making your flavorless clones

> I'd rather write about an adventure

That means you have to actually go on an adventure first

>In MP3

Opinion disregarded

Max Payne 3 is Dan Houser's shitty Max Payne fan fiction. Max in Max Payne 3 is always whining and bitching and complaining.

Max in Max Payne 2 is going to AA, but it's a subtle reference by Bravura and downplayed.

way to prove him right

> I don't know what a Mary Sue is

>how many people fall in love with your character?
>no 0 option

>does your character have weird colored hair?
>no "yes, but so does everyone else" option

Its emphasized that Elma only has a few flaws and they're mostly downplayed

>tfw every villain in the saga wants to rape Ciri
>Ciri joins a gang of bandits
>one of them tries to rape her the first night
>gets stopped by one of the female bandit
>WHO RAPES HER INSTEAD
>Ciri liked it

There's a reason why I keep my writing private and personal, yes. I don't necessarily think you HAVE to adventure to create a good character, but it certainly helps.
I don't agree with them being flavorless though. I do go out of my way when writing to make them more than just Indiana Jones but with martial arts, or something as samey and bland as that. Again, I look at what makes a character good in the first place, mindlessly copying a single aspect of them and copy pasting it into a new character doesn't work. That doesn't create a likable character just because you made him a wise cracker good with a blaster like Han was, a good character is good because they're well written and more than just a single personality type.
I mostly just write what amounts to fan fiction for a given universe that's already well established. Not that cringy deviant art shit, no, just short stories about a bandit attack, or a day to the market, or a diary of a soldier in the war. And again, private, I do occasionally share with people and most have positive things to say but I'm extremely critical of my work and never fully satisfied with it.
Just a nice little hobby for me to pass the time, I don't much expect to try and publish anything, at least not any time soon.

He was bitching the world was broken, but I hardly think that's the same as whining about how bad he had it, since he didn't really do that. He was jaded as fuck until the ending, where again, he finds absolution. MP3's story was quite serious, while 1 and 2 were extremely cheesy. I liked all of them honestly, for different reasons. I can see why many people hate 3 especially for its story but I liked how it ended, it was a nice feel good ending and it felt like Max had earned it.

>MP3's story was quite serious

That lacks any sort of gravitas. Let me recommend you this shit flick, as it's up to your speed if you liked Max Payne 3.

(Or The Boondock Saints. You'd probably like that too.)

I thought it was enjoyable as a popcorn on the couch with buddies film, but no it doesn't have anything deep or substantial to it.
Neither does Max Payne, but then I never played video games to find the meaning of life.

Cause then it wouldn't be weird.

Uncharted series.

Mary Sues everywhere.

>Max in Max Payne 2 is going to AA

So? You can go to AA and still hit the bottle hard. Plenty of people stop going too because they'd rather drink

I though male equivalent was a Gary Stu

The Moorcock connection is tenuous at best, and Sapowski's books are much better too.

So at the end of Max Payne 2 I'm just supposed to believe he becomes a le alcoholic man OUT OF THE FUCKEN BLUE!?!??!

Not him, but the evidence is pretty damning.

Its not uncommon for people to relapse user, maybe he had just the one at the Christmas party and that results in the state we seen him in at the Jersey Bar

Leon S. Kennedy or Dante from the pre-tameem games are the closest things i can think of to canon mary sues in vidya

Geralt is clearly superficially inspired by Elric (down to 'the white wolf'), but the stories are pretty different, imo.

>but the stories are pretty different
Be honest you havent actually read them have you

>check the test
>just another wall of text

Should be short, etc...

Leon went from a realistic person to a meme spouting edgelord in RE4

Leon in RE2 is not a Mary Sue

Leon in RE4 is a Mary Sue

I read the first 3 witcher novels and 4 collections of Elric stories

I don't want to write a fucking essay but the themes are quite different as are the motivations and personal demons of both heroes

Way to reapitly make the same thread multiple times a day.

>I don't want to write a fucking essay but here are some generic terms that Im going to spout to hide the fact that I havent read them

Are you a SS13 player, perchance?

I got 17%.

What the fuck do you want me to tell you? If I quote scenes that I remember (like Geralt getting his shit kicked in by Vilegfortz or Ciri having borderline noncon lesbo sex) you will tell me I googled them.

>Actually using an image

I'm just some fucking guy. You won't hear of or see me again when my adventure is over, it don't matter, I don't matter and that's OK.

>6% sue according to the test

wow thats even more edgy than him. kys

>kys

you've played yourself

>WHY DO YOU WANT ME TO PROVE MY POINT???
>ARENT GENERIC TERMS WITH NO CONTEXT ENOUGH FOR YOU????
lol

kys ypy

>Can't make my character die at the end of every story to be rid of them
>Friends in tabletop got annoyed by me killing off my characters at the end of long campaigns and making a new character for the next campaign

If your character doesn't die they're a fucking sue, prove me wrong.

SS13 player here, I got a 19%. Got called a snowflake frequently in my early days too.

Oh my fuck, you made that? I played it and showed it to all my friends when I was younger. Good stuff man.

Why do people call Geralt a Mary Sue/Gary Stu when the entire fucking book series and witcher 3 all revolve completely around the actual Mary Sue?

You can prove yourself wrong by finding out what a mary sue actually is, retard

Another SS13'r here. I got a 5% on my score. Being a background NPC is satisfying work.

Besides this thread, what are some other threads I can post regularly with the exact wording?

Damn son, what job?

>he doesn't know

If you could stop making the same exact thread everyday, that'd be great.

Are you the quintessential lizardman janitor?

If you are actually the dude who made that game, good job, it was pretty good.

Scientist/Miner/Cargo mostly

No way, being a lizard or the single janitor is too unique for me.

I miss playing SS13

9/10 NPCing
would hear same voice 5 voice lines every shift again

I agree OP, you should just lose the game 5 hours in because it's "realistic"

>14%
guess i'm good

my character has no romantic interests, though

George how much do they pay you per video?

Way to "reapitly" prove him right you fucking downie baby

My Shepard is ugly as sin though. Also no one likes her.

I find it relaxing to do the same thing over and over again, running the same exact experiments with a teleporter never gets old. Or moving masses of crates into a shuttle. Now what can I do to bump that 9 to a 10?

You should get back into it, it's still real active and constantly updated on most servers with good coders.

>her

Both are Mary Sues, Geralt is the worst one since he literally is friends with everyone on the realm, everyone cannot do anything without his help, and he fucks tons of hot women all over the kingdom. He is the textbook definition of a Sue.

I just wish /tg/ station wasn't so garbage now.

/vg/ station is where I play, tried /tg/ once and never went back. /vg/ can be shit sometimes but the experience is usually always solid.

>there are faggots in this thread that think the Max Payne games ever had good writing

>My perfectly human SS13 character scores higher than my other character who has geomancy and pyromancy, a missing arm, a curse, is second in line to become the chief of the village, and goes on a long quest by herself

I don't like this test anymore.

You can do everything the same exact way the same exact time. Even try walking the same path if you can. Someone is blocking the way, wait until they move, even come up with a phrase you can periodically repeat to people blocking your way. Passively offer quests, with static quest rewards that can be completed repeatedly by multiple people. That's 10/10 NPC level right their. Ironically enough you'll become notable if you do this effectively.

Every server is garbage user, it's all a matter of what smell you're willing to put up with the most.

I tried /vg/ recently but I cannot stand how it feels like you're playing in molasses. seriously what the fuck is up with the movement on there and other sluggish stations like Bay.

>20%
Huh, not bad

FEATURES! Gotta lag the game out with lots of quality content and poor optimization!

I barely notice it since I've been there so long. It's an abstract hell.

Hey that's good advice pal. Maybe I can hang up a "quest board" next to me or in the bar or something.

That absolutely NO one will click or see. It's fucking brilliant! God speed user.

>no 'Does he wield a katana?' question

>he
>katana
>implying it wasn't written by a girl who only interacts with fan fiction characters

>15%
Wew, I'm in the clear.

You have been PROVEN wrong every single time you started this thread, dipshit.
Oh looky, what do we have here?

A greatest hits list of reposting faggot OP being blown to smithereens.

You are the same cockmongler that also posted the "good idea bad idea" threads, the "sawyerkek" threads, and all the other shit that keeps coming back, correct?

>he literally is friends with everyone on the realm, everyone cannot do anything without his help, and he fucks tons of hot women all over the kingdom
this describes 90% of video game rpg protagonists

16% and 26% for my two main characters. Pretty good since it's a detective story and I tried to avoid the detective tropes as much as possible.

Sounds like RPGs have shit writing.

>My ascended to a god blind-drunk "not a pirate" who has had at least one prophecy directly attached to him, is about 700 years old and is nobility and former ruling member of a city character for a MUD only scores 17%.
>His fucking pet rat gets 56%

Oh fuck.

>make a anti-hero antagonist for some story I've been working on a few years back
>consider him pretty sueish, as I have a weakness for villain sues
>he scores a fucking 16%
Good god, I don't wanna know who that chart would consider a 100

NO FUCK YOU, STOP MAKING ME ROLEPLAY PEOPLE TRYING TO FUCK A RAT.

Every japanese rpg ever

HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED!?

Four times
I even had a stalker who would fucking ambush me in the city wanting to talk to my pet rat. The way the game works is that you have to essentially puppet the damn thing. If you fork out a load of dosh you can automate the process but I was a cheapass and went for the basic set.

The mistake made is that I used the thing to say shit I couldn't otherwise, and apparently that's hot.

a fucking rat is more popular than I am in real life or my fucking mary sue PC character. He even has his own fucking merchandise: a snowglobe.

Have you ever considered that your character isn't a mary sue, then? They're specifically much better than anyone else in the story, knows secret information that no one else does about the characters, loved by all and have zero weaknesses. A powerful character isn't a mary sue. A character that can't be beaten in combat isn't a Mary Sue.

A Mary Sue is on another level entirely.

This is too fucking funny man.

Stay buttfrusted

half life 2

>Dragon's dogma

You can summon and use pawns, hybrid vocations are used by some enemies. Otherwise you have the same stats as the pawns in your party, assuming identical class and level.

Not as funny as how broken he was, when the devs made him they used the base code template of a rat mob, which had coding from the 1997 original incarnation of the game.

Long story short: for about two weeks he had a bank account and could wield weapons and level up. I nearly got away with it but I pushed my luck when he started killing poor little new players who were hunting.

What MUD is this?

Any musou game, gameplay wise.

Achaea, I'm long dead after a stint working for them back around 2010. It's still going but I have no fucking idea what's going on any more. I just drink beers with the employees on occasion.

You're a perfect 10/10 idealized character with a perfect 10/10 idealized waifu, you're infinitely better at everything than everyone else because you're the chosen one, capable of mastering every form of combat that exists, and at the end you literally kill and then become God.

I mean I love the game, I bought it 3 times and have like 2000 hours played, but let's call a spade a spade, here

You become a mary stu at the end yes. But you are not THE chosen one, you are chosen though. Your pawns can do the same things as you except hybrid classes, which are done by other enemies such as corrupt pawns.

Silent protagonists with no established personalities/appearance don't count. He/she is mary sue storywise at the end though.

In a game with a character generator it's disingenuous to say that your character is 10/10 with a 10/10 waifu.

The story also goes out of it's way to show that people have done what you have done before and you're really not all that special. You even meet multiple chosen ones in the story.

You're also not instantly liked by literally every character ever. A powerful character to be sure but definitely not a Mary Sue.

Geralt scores at 24%. Let's say I might have forgotten something (unlikely) so it's +/- 5%. Not a Mary Sue

>23% for the main character I want to make for an original game
I guess I'm ok

>just 21%
Shitty test.

When videogame has a character like the protagonist of Log Horizon, then you are free to call him a Mary Sue.
>Guy with just single flash of his glasses knows all game mechanics etc. despite there being people who have propably played far longer than him

You haven't proved any point either, autist.

Is your OC a Mary Sue?

The test works for most of canons.
If your answer to the following questions is "YES" add yourself the points.

1. Does your character have unnatural hair color? (dyed hair does not count) +2

2. Did your characters hair/eyes changed color over time on their own? +4

3. Does your character have any super/unnatural powers? +2
If it's a conon where many character have powers, are your character's stronger then most of the others'?

4. Does your character have two or more people romantically interested in them? +2

5. Does you character have love interests in two or more people? +1

6. Your character's past is:
a) Tragic, treumatic +3
b) Mysterious, unknown +4
c) Regular +0

7. Was your character technically dead and then it managed to come back to life? +5

8. Does your OC become the main character of the canon once it's there? +6

9. Can your character fight down the stronger enemies? +4

10. Does your character have it's own nemesis or somebody powerful after them? +4

11. Did your character kill anyone? +1

12. Did your character saved somebody's life? +1

13. Does your character have unnatural features? (Like cat tail, animal ears, some claws or such) +1 point for every feature

14. Is your character a mix of races? (Vampire, mutant, werewolf, fairy etc.) +1 point for every race

15. Does two (or more) organizations fight to get your OC jon them? +3

I may think of more questions later.

TOTAL:

0-10 You'd rather treavel to the moon and back again than create a Mary Sue on purpose
11-20 Your OC is an interesting character with no overdose
21-30 Your OC is acceptable, but maybe you could fix some things
31-40+ Too bad. You created a Mary Sue, face it.

Jesus, I get that it's for OC but half of this shit is retarded. The phrase "Mary Sue" truly has no meaning with these morons.

Aren't 4 and 5 the same thing?

The character in question could love someone but they don't love them back and vice versa

I think I have a 17 then

>Witcherfags still mad whenever they get accused their franchise copypaste ripped off a well known series of fantasy novels
>BUT IT'S AN OMAGE

Geraltfags pls go suck some redcock some more.

he got a 35% a Mary Sue for me and 24% is still far higher than most.

To be fair this mostly only comes down hard on fantasy characters.

Mary Sues are only bad in fiction because their "AND SHE WAS PERFECT AND EVERYONE LOVED HER SO MUCH FOREVER THE END" attributes are fun for the author but deprive the story of its conflict. A story without conflict is, generally speaking, not a very engaging story.

Videogames are the opposite. Videogames are a medium where the player is subjected TO the conflict, in the form of challenges to overcome, and the story cannot progress until they do.

Actually, videogames almost DEMAND Mary Sue tier characters to be entertaining, because the conflict and challenge should mostly be derived from the gameplay, and the story moments where the character overcomes-everything-against-all-odds-YET-AGAIN are the logical consequence of this. It doesn't make sense for a player to die 14 times to a boss, finally beat it, and then be treated to a cutscene where his player ISN'T the victorious badass, since he EARNED that feeling through overcoming the challenge.

Bayonetta is a total Mary Sue. Sexy, intelligent, known by everyone in-universe, 100% total confidence and an unparalleled bad-ass of omnicidal proportions. But because the gameplay of Bayonetta will kick your ass up and down the block, it makes sense to have your reward for finally performing properly and clearing a fight to be Bayonetta showing those attributes; the story doesn't KNOW you got your ass kicked for 3 straight days trying to clear the Jeanne fight, why, after FINALLY emerging victorious, would it hold up your hand center-ring and announce "[player] is a flawed fuck-up and he ruined everything this time, he must now cope with the emotional weight of his hubris"?

The only time a videogame benefits from having a flawed character whose imperfections drive narrative conflict is when the gameplay itself is so mind-numbingly easy that the game must rely on its narrative to generate conflict in the first place.

>strange journey protag
>10% mary sue
noice

This

Nathan drake is debatable,on the other hand that afro mercenary that beats his and his brothers ass is definitely a Mary sue as well as that cyber ninja faggot from mass effect 3

she dirty aight

>The only time a videogame benefits from having a flawed character whose imperfections drive narrative conflict is when the gameplay itself is so mind-numbingly easy that the game must rely on its narrative to generate conflict in the first place.

Great and good post

But this part in particular spoke to me

Developers try so hard to make narratives about POOR AND DISENFRANCHISED characters, yet only only use the story to convince you that the character is weak rather than the game itself making you think so with the mechanics

>Barely survive fire fight in Max Payne
>Max is limping afterwards

>Alien and pig cop slog in Duke Nukem 3D
>30 health and low amount of ammo

It's why survival horror games worked so well and were so popular in the 90's.

Samus is a Mary Sue according to a random test I took

Makes sense though

Geralt isn't a mary sue in his world. There are plenty of beings and characters that can kill him without breaking a sweat. Male sorcerers are also better than him in almost every objective aspect. One even broke his leg in a duel without any magic. He is popular due to the love ballads Dandelion wrote about him but he's still disliked by most people except for dwarves and other odd beings.