(The same can be said for blizzard, but this is a valve hate thread)

How cancerous has this company become?

A basic example: youtube.com/watch?v=L1QE6ogmSkw

How did they go from being humble and good developers who put quality ahead of everything else, into now this trash company who continues to fuck up and does jack shit about it or doesn't even care about problems with their shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw
youtube.com/watch?v=yTu1ODceGn4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i havent liked them ever since they stopped making games. like half of steam is some japanese pedophile shit right now i want the "anime" games out

youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw

>into now this trash company who continues to fuck up and does jack shit about it or doesn't even care about problems with their shit.

Because they have no competition. origin, gog, windows store or whatever are tiny compared to steam.

I still wouldn't trust any other company with the main force of PC gaming.

Let's look at the big companies, who would you trust with Steam?
>EA
>Ubisoft
>Activision-Blizzard

Not thanks, I'll take Valve over them any day, devs or nogaems publishers.

Also that vid is more about the status of the CS:GO dev teams, not Valve.
If I want to generalize like that I can say that Valve is the best EVAR because their Dota2 dev team is so responsive and balance-oriented.

>valve is a bad because some whiny Csgo players told me so

EA and Actibliz might make absolute garbage games and try to jew every cent out of them, but they have

functional clients that are considerably less demanding than the bloatware that is steam

a massive majority of EAs products do not require online activation and origin can be used completely offline

Origin gives out free games nigga

Origin and Blizzard support responds within a day, with a real person from the same country as you and they'll probably give you a free game or dlc for the game you're troubleshooting if they fuck up something and it's on their end

compared to Valve literally permanently banning your steam account if you have the balls to continue opening a ticket and ask for an actual solution that they keep closing after giving a pre written bot response after two weeks of nothing

EA and Blizzard offer refunds within the scope of the law, compared to Valves inane 2 hour bullshit that still doesn't comply with Canadian, EU or Australian law

Steam is constantly trying to find a way to roll out a subscription service ala Xbox Live bullshit, there are discussion pages on the Steamworks dev group about this that are leaked all the time

paid mods

the entire fucking crate system that even plagues a dozen non-Valve games trying to clone their success

Portal 2 cash shop

massively casualizing every game they make to sell more copies to retards

face it, Valve is worse than the boogieman companies we all used to hate half a decade ago for their jewish tricks, there is literally not a seeming redeeming thing about Gaben in contrast with Kotick anymore

Sort of true they'd be charging full price for games

Valve lets devs make as many keys as they want and allow them to be sold on other storefronts than steam which is why you can new games like deus ex mankind divided for 31 dollars at release

They also don't charge a fee for putting a game on the storefront so devs don't have to worry about losses

Lastly there's no paid online which is the ultimate cancer

So yea every other company would be complete cancer

dont forget steam greenlight and early access :^)

imagine Metzen joining Valve

Valve: allows user content and mods

EA: blocks free user content and mods

you are retarded. csgo has 100's of maps, BF has like 20.

>no paid online
Wait, what did you mean by this?

I'm sleep deprived so it'll probably make sense later.

>>EA
They did a shitty port of the orange box already family. And didn't they try to buy out steam already?

>Valve lets devs make as many keys as they want and allow them to be sold on other storefronts than steam which is why you can new games like deus ex mankind divided for 31 dollars at release
that's contractual, they absolutely do deny devs the ability to create and sell steam keys to third parties on a case by case basis
>They also don't charge a fee for putting a game on the storefront so devs don't have to worry about losses
they take 30-60% commission (often closer to 30%) and an initial $5000 fee for licensing if it uses open sourced tech that was developed by valve, despite this tech being released under gpl and this practice being completely illegal
>Lastly there's no paid online which is the ultimate cancer
it's in the works, google it

NICE REDDIT SPACING, FAGGOT

subscription-based services like PSN and Xbox Live

>AM U FUTTING IN YET GUISE?

kill yourself

>How did they go from being humble and good developers who put quality ahead of everything else, into now this trash company who continues to fuck up and does jack shit about it or doesn't even care about problems with their shit.
They realized that taking a 30% cut of 90% of all PC game sales is more lucrative than putting effort into projects for years and getting a small return.

They are victims of their own success, none more than Gabe. Look at pictures of him these days and compare them to 2003 Gabe, the spark is gone and he is dead inside.

Yeah, it's so alien to me I didn't get it at first.

You took up 550 vertial pixels of screen space to say 276 words. I mean, holy shit. It's nothing to do with fitting in, it's to do with how fucking shit your formatting is. You faggots do it to take up as much screen space as possible to get everyone's attention. You'd be far better off being an obnoxious tripfag who posts smug anime girls, your post would get even more attention that way. Christ, you people.

>tfw you realize valves last game released was portal 2 back in 2011
>tfw you realize they have not even hinted at any other game coming out any time soon

>they take 30-60% commission
they take 30% max, you massive fucking faggot. stop making up facts

Valve are a glorified server management company now.

None of their games are truly original, either. Dota 2 is obvious, Portal was based on a student project that Valve bought and converted into a mainstream game, Half Life was a rip-off of Quake and Doom (and even uses a modified version of the Quake engine), Left 4 Dead was, like Portal, cannibalized by Valve when they bought out Turtle Rock, and their other licensed games started off as mods.

> Steam let them become lazy
> Their old games wouldn't work now
> No real leadership

>because their dota2 dev team is so responsive and balance-oriented

is this a joke?

I don't get what in your opinion is so detrimental about Valve. They just turned from a developer into a kind of publisher. They seized the gap and filled in arguably the first emergent PC digital distribution niche to capacity. Now we have a situation more reminiscent of how games used to be published a decade ago, but with Valve taking the place of the dozens of small publishers and lowering the bar so more games can pass. Yes, this results in more poor quality games, but I can choose the ones I want to play. In the end that means dozens of new games that would have otherwise likely not existed at my fingertips.

>valve is good because i'm a fanboy

Gaben is content with monopolizing the PC platform and swimming in his pool of money. And why wouldn't he be? It sounds like the perfect life.

Why bother putting in effort into anything when you're already making more money than you know what to do with?

In my experience it's less hate and more disappointment.

Valve released TF2, Portal, Half-Life 2:ep 2 and Left 4 dead all within a a very short period of time (well 3/4 of those games were in the orange box so).

They followed up L4D with a sequel which, after porting the original maps/characters over, is a much better experience. Portal 2 around that time as well. After L4D2 it wasn't too long until Dota 2 and CS:GO gained traction.

All of these games have been, generally, very well received. Since Dota and GO valve has done fucking nothing but pump out tech demo's and cosmetics. They let TF2 completely degenerate, they slowed the fuck out of Dota 2 updates, Left 4 Dead, Half-Life and Portal, all well-liked series, have been abandoned.

Where the fuck is Left 4 Dead 3? TF2 needs either a complete revamp or TF2.5/TF3 to revitalize the brand. What the FUCK is happening with Half Life and Portal?

Again, it's not that they're doing things that make me hate them, just that they're doing fucking nothing with the great IP's they have because they rolling dosh from Steam, Dota and GO with absolute minimal effort.

I'm not even the guy you're replying to, but you really need to chill the fuck out, he was clearly organising it in a bulletpoint structure

I would have sperged out more if he had done it as one long fucking paragraph

>he was clearly organising it in a bulletpoint structure
Newfriend, people on this site do that with meme arrows or they write actual number points like any non-retard.
etc
>sperging out over one long paragraph
Nobody said he had to do it over one long paragraph, you dumb shit.

Jesus, what happened to CS?
youtube.com/watch?v=yTu1ODceGn4

I don't really get what this video is trying to convey as it's being really spastic about all the issues it's trying to cover without actually trying to edit for substance. It's like if Crowb had an aneurysm and decided to edit a video.

I haven't played CS in years and haven't touched GO and have no idea what this video is trying to say other than a lot of people are upset on stream and lots of zoom ins on patch notes. Pure meme editing.

My problem with Valve is their slow withdrawal of interaction and support. They supported TF2 with huge content updates, adding maps, cosmetics, features, bug fixes, balance fixes, new weapons, trading, fun little comics, and it was ALL for free. Over time, they started adding in user-made items, which is fine if they're the best of the best, but pretty soon updates became almost completely community-made. Again, that's not a huge problem if Valve still devoted resources to a game that's bringing them in a huge amount of money from key sales, item sales, and taxes from the Steam Market.

If Valve had stayed proactive in thwarting cheaters and adding quality content, the game would still have life. Contracts were also a fun idea, but it felt a little too late, and they let each series of contracts run too long. They cost an initial fee, so they were making even more money on top of everything else. Halloween and Christmas updates were so exciting, but ended up being community cosmetics + re-enabled events.

It's understandable for devs to stop supporting a game after many years after it stops making sense to, but TF2 was alive and well when they started getting lazy. They were making more money than ever. They started focusing on OSes, ValveBoxes, and VR tech that most people don't give a shit about.

It's a shame.

Focusing on OS and VR is just them being proactive, like how they dominated the digital distribution market with Steam.

Sure, you want to stay relevant, but I think they spread their manpower much too thin, when they're making enough money to do both at the 100% they used to work at.

That said, I highly doubt a "gaming OS" will ever take off. Sure, more people than ever before are building their own computers, but I don't think that translates into people taking the time to install a different OS. Why learn the intricacies of another OS and learn new software just for a 15% performance increase on Valve games? They don't even make games anymore.

I want them to succeed with SteamOS. I want off this crazy Windows ride.

>I want them to succeed with SteamOS

They already fucked it up.

TF2 holiday events. Dota 2 holiday events. The Potato Sack Portal 2 ARG, the Christmas Coal event. Even the 2015 Summer clicker game. Valve doesn't do the fun shit they used to do as often as they used to anymore. Those were big and fun events. They felt important.

Ok, I understand everyone sentiments regarding Valves abandonment of their video game franchises.

But does anyone really believe that their hands-off approach to what games they sell is bad ? I am aware that it creates a need for some curation, but isn't that solved by steam curators or you know the the million other gaming websites?
Would you want a higher barrier of entry ? Wouldn't that mean some games wouldn't make it because of the lack of initial funding/relationships ?
Would you want more censorship ? Because I'm sure quite a few of the lewder games on steam right now wouldn't pass any "modern" games review board. Not to mention the threat of postmodern values and sjw nonsense infiltrating it.

I think it's best if steam is as open and free a platform as possible.

>I think it's best if steam is as open and free a platform as possible.
This
You have the power of google at your fingertips, which allows you to access plenty of websites that talk about games and allow you to find the ones that you could like. You don't need to browse through the fucking steam catalog to find new games, that's incredibly inefficient. Thus it's best for as many games as possible to be sold on steam

>2015 Summer clicker game
I really liked that one. I hope they do it again.

Of those only GoG is cross-platform, and its nowhere near the shape that Steam is on other platforms.

The Windows Store is even essentially Windows 10 console mode only so until they force the issue its going to be tiny.

When I buy PC games I want them to work on all my PCs whether its my Mac laptop, my Linux desktop, or my Windows tablet.