What happened to him Cred Forums? How did a series that was about running as fast as possible end up into...

What happened to him Cred Forums? How did a series that was about running as fast as possible end up into...whatever it became today? Going slow, different gameplays. Did someone curse Sonic into this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ymO6ij93Ovk
youtu.be/e0_IoW7Vqs8
youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo
youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo
youtu.be/Ias1yKLSHxI
youtube.com/watch?v=EIfo00xueDo
youtube.com/watch?v=bFIn8fjnfd0
youtube.com/watch?v=iyDHp8vtKLo
youtube.com/watch?v=F3VW9ep3gDc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You know how when making a new game, Nintendo likes to come up with gameplay ideas and THEN decide what characters/IP would suit that mechanic?

With Sonic it was the opposite. They had a cast of characters all with established abilities from the 2D games and they had to force those abilities and mechanics in a 3D environment. That's why Knuckles is stuck treasure hunting and shit, they needed him in levels that would suit his gliding and climbing abilities.

Also, SEGA's run by idiots

>Running as fast as possible
Maybe in the first levels
I like sonic games but god damn if the slow platforming is annoying later on.

Running fast doesn't translate well as the focal point of a video game because the character will cover a lot of ground and you have to make way more content for all that environment

They went full retard in the early 2000's and became afraid of doing anything that might offend the internet in the early 2010's.

>You know how when making a new game, Nintendo likes to come up with gameplay ideas and THEN decide what characters/IP would suit that mechanic
Sega did the same. Sonic was originally a ball, and the gameplay is momentum based. Sonic was going later be designed as either an armadillo or a hedgehog, because he rolls into a ball and attacks robots while in a ball, being vulnerable when he's not coiled up.
What does an Italian plumber have to do with jumping on turtles?

>a series that was about running as fast as possible
That was never the case until Adventure, which was the game that ruined the series forever with that god-awful and unsustainable gameplay style.

The early Sonic games are all about baiting you into running fast because it feels good and then wrecking you with some bullshit trap.

sonic was never about "running as fast as possible"
spindashing as fast as possible or jumping as fast as possible maybe but running? running is a terrible way to keep your momentum in the good sonic games (pre saturn)

This. People like boost gameplay because you go fast, but if you compare a generations/unleashed level to your average Mario level, the amount of time/effort required is bizarrely high. It's why Lost World is the way it is.

Nah man they're all fast, the originals at least. Sonic Advance 2 is the best game released past 2000 since its fast, but everything else is pretty dire. I don't think theres one 3D game yet that is actually fast, at least not on classic sonic levels of speed.

I can see that, I guess making games and assets was cheaper back then and shit so they could afford to make longer levels with empty pathways to just free run on

Only played Adventure 1 but everything outside of Sonic, just bad and not all of Sonics levels were great either.

No they're not. I haven't played them in a while but thats not the case

Sega happenend

Sonic was developed for one reason alone and that was so SEGA could shit all over nintendo with their own mascot character. His entire purpose was to showcase the power of the genesis by showing just how fast sonic could go. And as fun as going fast may be it doesn't really add anything to the game besides "hey that's pretty cool". So when sega moved into 3d with the saturn and dreamcast they couldn't really do anything with sonic because you can't really have incredibly fast speeds with 3d without large segments being on rails. So the platforming doesn't work because then you remove the high speeds, but the high speed sections are all on rails without any form of control.

tl;dr sonic's reason for existence was to show the superior processing speeds of the genesis but once the 16 bit era ended he became redundant which is why every game since has tried to re-imagine the way the games play.

>everything outside of Sonic
Tails played fine

No hes bad to. You just fly over the level, rendering whatever was designed on the ground useless. Everyone besides sonic has these quirks and its never implemented right, so sonic should really be the only character in this series. I think that was the biggest mistake it made, trying to one up the previous game by having more and new characters. Ironically enough, Sonic Heroes is probably my favorite 3D game because the other characters aren't allowed to just fly over and ignore the level, but rather have more grounded abilities that let them beat enemies or overcome obstacles. Its been years since I played it though, but its the only 3D game besides Adventure 1 I played. When they make a new sonic without all the friends I'll give it a try.

>Nah man they're all fast, the originals at least.
Are you actually retarded ? Starting the third zone the gameplay slows down a lot and you have to push blocks, wait for huge moving platform to go up, spin dash on barrels or crawl in the water with that slow physics.

Sega stopped giving a fuck after the Dreamcast era.

Sonic 1 is pretty bad, one of the worst games in the series, I'll give you that. But Sonic 2, CD, and 3 are all very fast games that no game since besides Advance 2 has went for

>There are people that actually defend Labyrinth Zone
Sonic 1 didn't know what it wanted to do, Sonic 2 is better.

Actually the game was about momentum, and pinball physics, DRESSED UP in the gimmick of running fast.

The problem was when it transferred into 3D, it became difficult to sell the gimmick of running fast, when your product was essentially monkeyball with jumping.

Those pinball levels were terrible, not sure what you mean about physics, but to me they were always about going fast and keeping up a good flow

...So they swapped the gimmick with the product. Just to be clear. The run fast gimmick became the actually product, while the pinball stuff was forgotten.

You Don't know what I mean about physics? The original games had superb physics. Hold on, I need to find the webm that shows it off. But basically, the reason you were actually able to keep up a "flow", was because of the great physics that made it possible. It wasn't about boosting and going super speed. It was about moving efficiently.

>Those pinball levels were terrible, not sure what you mean about physics

They slow you down as early the second zone. If every zone was like Greenhill the average play time would probably be 15 minutes to beat the game.

The flow was in the level design, where you jump over the blocks. If you mean the shit like rolling down a hill, after the first few levels those dry up completely

Yeah now I realize it. Lo and behold, the example video takes place in green hill where slopes are laid about. That stops very shortly in the game and you do more running and jumping instead of balling up. Besides, sonic looks cool. Having him become a boring blue sphere is a disservice to his awesome design

By the way, whats the other 2D game in the webm?

>green hill where slopes are laid about. That stops very shortly in the game
Rolling around at the speed of sound is the point of Sonic you twit. Besides rollings top speed actually does cap out, so you have strategically roll for the higher acceleration and invulnerability and unroll for the top speed.

That's the webm I was looking for.

>That stops very shortly in the game and you do more running and jumping instead of balling up.
That's bullshit. And besides, even Sonic's Running and Jumping were heavily reliant on his momentum, and velocity. Which they striped out on future games. That's why even standard platforming feels terrible in the 3D games.

Didnt know that, but I played them this long just fine so it all works. The few platforming sections there are sucked because of how slippery sonic was. Getting super sonic made this even worse

>Making an Sonic-Rant Thread
>Totally Insightful, Original. and someone whom needs to be Listened To.

Watching Paint, dry. is an better option.

Sonic wasn't slippery. He just had momentum that took a bit to stop. All you needed to do was tap back to get him to break more quickly. It's that same momentum that gives the movement that feeling of flow you mentioned.

>I don't think theres one 3D game yet that is actually fast, at least not on classic sonic levels of speed.
Play Unleashed. Or Generations if you can't stand Werehog

The fuck are you saying nigger?

Yeah maybe thats it. I don't know I guess I never paid attention to it. I found myself more vulnerable and messing up more when I turned into ball form so I just naturally started playing with just holding right and jumping. In CD ball mode helped a little more

Those names sound cool but I don't remember them. I assume they came after the xbox/ps2 generation

what kind of rock have you been living under if you never heard or saw of unleashed, colors and generations?

>I found myself more vulnerable and messing up more when I turned into ball form
What? I had the opposite experience. I played the "press right to win" way when I was a kid. And it was good enough. It sufficed. But when I got older, I started activating ball form more, and suddenly the game flowed in a way I didn't know it could. I was playing way better, and making less mistakes.

>I assume they came after the xbox/ps2 generation
They did.
You're porbably going to hate unleashed, because the werehog levels are the antithesis of going fast. But the Sonic levels are all about speed. So it may be worth it to you to give it a shot.

Also, have you played Sonic Rush? I think those games are more your speed, pardon the pun. That's where the boost mechanic was initially introduced, and the game is all about going fast.

youtu.be/ymO6ij93Ovk
youtu.be/e0_IoW7Vqs8

>the game is all about going fast.
Yeah, those enemy rooms sure are "fast".
Rush Adventure > Rush I don't care what people say.

"Enemy rooms"? What do you mean? It's been a while since I've played. But I remember the game being all about speed and memorization. I got S ranks on all the levels too.

Rush Adventure was fun too. But for some reason, didn't keep me playing the same as the first one did.

>Those names sound cool but I don't remember them. I assume they came after the xbox/ps2 generation
How long have you been not following this franchise pardner

I havent followed sonic anything in quite a long time. Heroes was the last new game I played on xbox and it was pretty fun for what it was. Had nice speedy sections, made good use of characters abilities without making them over powered, some nice 3D platforming bits here and there. It had a lot of variety and a good mix of different things like speed, combat, platforming, very solid and well rounded game I thought. After that my interest pretty much stopped, shadow came and went. I heard about sonic 06 going to be amazing but I didn't have a 360 at the time but then it came out and apparently its terrible. And that was pretty much the last I saw of sonic besides replaying the old ones and heroes and seeing but minding no attention to threads here.

I didn't mean to insult with the hold right to win thing, I actually liked that and meant it in a good way. Next time I play them, I'll give the ball mode more time. Sad I wont be able to see sonics little red shoes spinning around, I always like that effect. Haven't played sonic rush, sounds good though. I'll have to check it out if speed is the main draw and you can boost to go even faster

Holy SHIT this is fucking memorizing. I saw the first level of each video, the quaint sea side town and the green hill. That music for the Sonic Unleashed level is absolutely beautiful and that lighting, physics, speed. I think I'm feeling sonic-y again. I will buy 3 Sonic games on Amazon, do you recommend Unleashed, Generations, Rush?

>Yeah maybe thats it. I don't know I guess I never paid attention to it. I found myself more vulnerable and messing up more when I turned into ball form so I just naturally started playing with just holding right and jumping. In CD ball mode helped a little more

That's most likely because when you jump from a roll you lose air contro so you can't change your jump. In CD they didn't have it and in S3&K the instashield gave back your air control.

I'd recommend them but keep in mind a good chunk of Unleashed has you playing in a completely different playstyle than shown in those videos. Also, Rush is a DS game.

I see that. The hinges on my DS lite fucked up long ago but I have a 3DS which can take DS games so its cool. I think for those levels in the video, it will finally be worth playing something different since the reward is massive. In Sonic
Adventure it was meh/ok sonic levels with lots of other junk tossed in. But that Sonic Unleashed level looks massive and a pure adrenaline joy so I'll take my chances. It's only 11 burgers anyway so its not a big loss if I don't like it

He could just get the PC version of Generations and Mod all the Unleashed levels in
youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo

I recommend Generations since it's a better game than Unleashed but Unleashed has really fun levels. If you're getting the PC version of Generations there's a mod that puts Unleashed levels in there.
Rush/Rush Adventure are 2d DS games. You might as well emulate them at this point

just...fucking mesmerized by this. its like someone waking from a 20 year coma. how do you avoid a franchise this much?? can i have this amazing superpower?!

buy unleashed, colors, generations, the rush games, and anything else you missed.

PC anything is out of the picture, my PC is complete junk. I do all my last gen gaming on Xbox 360. I have a Wii U and Xbox One for this gen

Don't know man, the shadow game just didn't capture me and I remember reviewers started shitting all over Sonic. Felt like the concept of Sonic got muddled over time and 06 being appalling just made me lose all interest

youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo
How do you feel about Sonic Mania?

Lost World.

Since you have a wiiu I'd also recommend Colors. It's a Wii game and not as fast as the others, but it's a fun game in the same style.
youtu.be/Ias1yKLSHxI

probably because they didn't know when to stop, OP.

They had a pretty stable idea of what to do with Sonic, and tried to apply in 3D. It worked fairly well with Sonic Adventure though you can tell today that the game had its own issues, and as the series moved on, they ended focusing on a different mentality of what "speed" meant for Sonic, with SA2 having incredibly linear paths and scripted segments up the wazoo. Afterwards, they started becoming experimental with the series to see what sticks, with Heroes implementing a team system, which in its own right is a fine game but nothing substantial, and then moving on Shadow with the gunplay, which again is fine but nothing substantial, and falling into mediocrity. Than you have '06 which tried to mimic what the Adventure series did, but with a short deadline ahead of them, it ended up a mess.

After '06, Sonic Team apparently employed some younger fresh members tasked to help redesign a new Sonic gameplay. The boost gameplay introduced in Unleashed is actually a fine idea in it and of itself and I'd argue that it's probably the best thing created for the current Sonic, but its gameplay severely limits the stage design around since Sonic is so damn fast, they had to create incredibly long narrow paths just to compensate for it, which in the end limits what players are able to do. They did try to add elements to keep the players busy, like lane changing segments, QTE's, wallride moments, grinding, etc etc. They're not bad at all, I quite enjoy them, but they've lost a lot of meaning to what the classics did. And a lot of that has to do with the fact that the old designers behind the Sonic games aren't involved anymore.

In before autism remark.

It looks absolutely beautiful...wow. I'm just sad that its reimaging classics. I've played these old levels how many times now? Hopefully there's more new stages than old ones, like the old ones are just so there's more content. Spring 2017, Xbox One...I won't miss this one that's for sure

Looks like a less impressive Unleashed/Generations. I'm not against it since its a Wii game which obviously wasn't as good as the 360, but it doesn't scream out to me like Unleashed or Generations did. I placed my order in, it seems that Unleashed will be here first, then Generations and Rush a day or two after, so I guess I'll start with that one. Thanks for revitalizing my interest in sonic guys, its been so long. I love the little guy but the early 2000s were not kind to him for the most part.

The point of Sonic was to make every player have fun doing their own thing and giving enough fun to make you replay the game and trying to be better each time and challenging yourself to do better each time, in true arcade style.

That's why Sonic 1 is the best, it gives a varying degree of challenge, and frame perfect inputs can make you rush through every zone in the game.

>Hopefully there's more new stages than old ones
They confirm that there are more old stages but how much more. They dev working on the game said the game will be big so its nothing to worry about. And the old stages will be drastically changed and that green hill is the tamest it will get so its up hill from here

Sonic was never anything above mediocrity. It was always the poor man's Mario.

Not sure but Sonic Colors is a good game

t. a limp dick

Oh wow, thats disappointing. Even if the level is designed different its still the same background and rolling green hills with the same aesthetic I've seen god knows how many times by now. That blue neon city, that shit looked amazing, to bad the game isn't all new levels. Trying to understand this logic. They make a game inspired by the old games for fans of the old games...yet decide to bring back a bunch of the levels fans of the old games have inevitably seen tons of times.

>Trying to understand this logic
I don't need to try I do understand. I feel you. And I have faith that there will be plenty of new and the old levels they bring back will have lots of new stuff.

Some tips about Unleashed since I just got through beating it.

After each stage you get exp, so use it to upgrade the Werehog's combat abilities to make it less of a slog. The more skills you get the more fun it becomes.

Also keep an eye out for medals hidden in the stages since you'll need them to unlock more.

What I did was I downloaded the night stage bgms onto my console and played the songs with the media player while playing the game. This overrides the in-game music and prevents the annoying battle theme from ruining the amazing night themes, but if you think that's too much trouble then you don't have to bother.

Nostalgia sells.

get the DS version of sonic colors, same story but expanded and uses the rush engine. its basically sonic rush 3:
youtube.com/watch?v=EIfo00xueDo

Well it looks pretty faithful so I'll let it slide this time, but its still disappointing how after all these years they still want to hold on and can't be bothered to make a real "brand new 2D adventure" like the trailer said. I see green hill has a new background and boss, that's cool, I'm looking up gameplays.

I don't know what you really mean but I'll try to remember this, thanks. I've used the music/playlist function on my 360 tons so I know how that works, not sure why I need to download the games music though

True but ironically that seems to be the worst part of it so far. Maybe the normalfags who played Sonic 1 once for 10 minutes thinks this is all they can do

>Colors DS and Generations 3DS don't have Super Sonic in regular levels

>not sure why I need to download the games music though
Basically, the werehog stages have amazing music, but every time you get near an enemy the battle music plays over it, and there are enemies everywhere. So I played the game's music over the game itself and had a more pleasant experience, funny enough.
Again, don't worry about it too much though

youtube.com/watch?v=bFIn8fjnfd0
youtube.com/watch?v=iyDHp8vtKLo

yeah true at least for gens. 3DS, colors DS did have infinite invincibility mode after you collect all emeralds. same shit just no gold hedgie.

which is weird because a super sonic model does exist in 3D form

youtube.com/watch?v=F3VW9ep3gDc

Yes it's chrischan

to this day, I think the roll jump control lock is probably one of the worst things about 2D Sonic (it persists up until Sonic Advance 3 -- Rush might have it (too lazy to go check), but when the fuck are you ever roll jumping, it's got boost)
CD was my favorite Sonic for a while just because of the camera and movement when I started playing it in Kega Fusion in like 2008 (didn't have a Sega CD growing up, just a plain model 1 Genesis). Sonic just handled more tightly. Stages were a bit weird, but I didn't care about that at that point. Wondered for ages why Sonic 3 didn't use the CD camera after that.

all of the 3D Sonics that had spindashing didn't implement it (Sonic Adventure 1 in particular, because the spindash was super overpowered in that game -- and DX seems to have made it even dumber), and you ended up spindash jumping past gigantic sections of level
but that's probably my favorite thing about SA1 -- soaring over everything at top speed and cutting off ages from your time, something for experienced players with the game

Unleashed is fucking horrible

I guess they thought it was to nerf rolling so you would have to run more but rolling already had a had speed cap that running didn't have so idk. They removed the roll jump lock in Mania though, so that's great. It always fucked you up when you hit the edge of wall trying clear a jump and you fall because you couldn't move a inch to clear it.