This is the pinnacle of 2D platforming, prove me wrong

This is the pinnacle of 2D platforming, prove me wrong.

I won't. Too bad the sequels were a downgrade and the DS games didn't up the quality enough.

no special moves, no dedicated transformation buttons, no transformation specials, no weapon specials, lots of menu switching, less relics.
A gameplay downgrade in all aspects. Not to mention a drop in musical quality and rotoscoping sprites instead of the coolio familia particle effects from sotn.

>no wall jumps
>no physics
>unnecessary combat system
Pic releated is THE REAL pinnacle

Super Metroid, Super Mario Bro. 3 and Megaman X are all legit answers, but I happen to agree with you.

AoS was good, but just hampered by being a GBA game.

>AoS was good, but just hampered by being a GBA game.
It's like you're saying the game was good and all it's faults were okay because it was on GBA. Seems like a clever idea. I'll tell my boss to release our next game on gameboy fatty. That way no one can complain when it's bad.

Konami made the choice to put it on gba, and that's what fucked things up.

Shovel Knight

>2D platforming, prove me wrong
easy, is a metroidvania and lacks most movement abilities of a 2D platformer. A much better answer is SMB3, MMX, S3&K. Even fucking SM is better, since it has more movement options and better designed rooms.
If we compare them as metroidvania they are on the same level, but I prefer SM because it is more skill and ability based and less RPG-ish

Sotn is a great game but it's not remembered for it's platforming. There are much better platforming games.

But the platforming in it is basic as hell. It's more of a beat em up RPG.

This to be honest famalams. Platforming isn't what makes SotN great.

Aria of Sorrow is better. Better level design, more movement options, wider array of attacks, more consistent visual style, better bosses, better music, better story, more speed run potential. It even has a better control scheme, despite being a GBA game.

YES! Me and my friends always used to try to create stupid levels and we'd spend ages playing them.

Fucking playing this shit for the first time now

Really cool

Lots of subtlety and things to learn

>having to keep switching souls back and forth
No, that sucked hard, game was okay overall.

What other Castlevanias are good and can be emulated?

MMZ3 is the pinnacle of 2d platform megaman

WHAT IS A MAN?

it really is.

Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin had weapon specials.

Much like Super Metroid (another poorly designed piece of shit), SoTN is easily beaten by button mashing with no concern with or the obstacles in your path, thanks to your ridiculous amount of HP.

CV1, 3, 4, Rondo, Bloodlines and Order of Ecclesia are all superior.

So are Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. They took SoTN's formula and improved upon it.

The only Igavania arguably worse than SoTN is Harmony of Dissonance, as it didn't add anything to formula.

it doesn't really have good platforming.