Do you always read the journal pages, documents etc. that you find? Which games have the best ones?

Do you always read the journal pages, documents etc. that you find? Which games have the best ones?

modern games dont matter as much and hardly exist since tutorials and shit hold your hand through the process.

>Hey do you collect lore
>MODERN GAMES FUCKING SUCK

user you need to be older than 18 to post here, and being able to read OP's post might help a lot too so fuck off and learn how to read, son.

Wildstar has the best in my opinion. They're absolutely everywhere, there are hundreds, and a lot of pretty well written. There's a whole series of smut you can piece together if you're diligent.

Couldn't say which one has the best, but I liked the random snippets of information you could find in Betrayer and The vanishing of Ethan Carter.

maybe it's nostalgia, but i always liked them in the old RE games

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is amazing with that

I always liked reading the little books and weapon/item descriptions in Fable, though they're always really short and a lot of the time lore is sometimes contradictory or just plain made up fluff with no impact on the universe.

>That one weapon description that implied there were mercs powerful enough to take on whole armies by themselves

>logs
Why not read a real book with better writing.

They're great to read, gives you more insight on the storyline. I personally think STASIS has one of the best.

Talos Principle was a recent favourite of mine for this. The logs are just random bits of information from around the internet before everything went all fucked up, it's a neat way to tell a backstory.

Because, dipshit, I'm playing a game at the moment not reading a book, that's an entirely seperate activity.

I stopped reading game manuals when Catherine's had a huge fucking spoiler in it.

Yeah if there's not many. The witcher 3 though I don't bother anymore. They're all about some farmer doing bad shit because he's all hung up about a woman. There are so many fucking journals in that game, I swear every single character has one. The game already suffers from too many breaks in action, it gets tedious.

I wonder what the market is like for vidya ero?

Books are one of the only good parts about TES

the last of us had some pretty good writings and hidden stories from before/shortly after the plague

needless to say, wow has some pretty good lore books spread around the world.

Some of them were very authentic and interesting, but others were just a bit cringy, I thought.

I used to read everything but can't be bothered anymore.
I remember precisely which game made me let go (Syndicate FPS) because it was such a chore to rifle through all that irrelevant infodump.

That's interesting. Not sure what this has to do with the topic of this thread, but thanks for contributing anyway.

Better than acting like a huge faggot on Cred Forums.

Take your homophobia back to Cred Forums. You are not welcome here.

Dishonored is my favorite recent example of it

Mankind Divided is alright, I guess

>You are not welcome here

not very tolerant.

practice what you preach

alan wake

Besides the Bioshock audio logs and DaS more items I don't find in game journals engaging at all.

South Park summed it up pretty well with the audiologs of the dude on the Alien ship.

Depends on the game and how they do it.

Bioshock, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, etc I usually read. Mostly because they are entertaining and a lot of the lore and backstory are through the journal or codec entries.

However, if the game's story is largely unimportant or it is just a clusterfuck/the journal entries are overwhelming, I skip it. For example, FFXIII did not know what the fuck to do with its backstory and the journal entries were some of the most annoying to read so I just skipped it and looked up the important bits later.

No one lives forever was great for this. Henchmen carried little notes you could read relating to work and family issues.
>a few henchmen have notes about some work party
>one of them stating he can't go, he's taking leave in a few days time to go and see his kids, thinking of retiring

I religiously read every book in the Trails games.

I usually always do, but if it's boring then I don't bother. Like tidbits about lore and stuff are always cool, but sometimes a game wants to tell you a story piece by piece and expects me to give a fuck when it's completely dull.

I like them as long as it's actually reasonable for someone to be recording everything that they are recording. While I really enjoy the formal books in TES, I'm sure there are some journals that you'll find in dungeons that don't follow this very well.

Like this user mentioned, The Talos Principle is a good example of informal, recorded communication giving backstory. All the documents and audio logs you find have a justified existence. People on message boards and in email chains refer to the bad thing happening as a known thing, and don't have to exposit on it at every reference. Even the audio logs, which are all one person's diary, make sense for that character to be recording. Because she is afraid of her own death and doesn't want her existence to be forgotten, if I'm remembering everything correctly.

there was an old PC game called Legend that had dozens and dozens of LONG books to find and read, though they didn't seem to mean anything.
I kept them all by the end of the game I had a room full of novels

>NOLF intelligence items
Good times.

>try to take screenshot of a document
>pressing anything makes the document go away

Sometimes, if you find a lot in say 5 minutes I ingore them until I completed the game and then just read all of them.

>you have to be tolerant of intolerance or else youre intolerant
is the most retarded non argument

Take your ableism back to Cred Forums. You are not welcome here.

Out of curiosity, what did it spoil?

It's extremely rare for me to *not* read that kind of stuff. The only game in recent memory where I ended up not bothering with any in-game logs (or internal monologues) was Cloudbuilt, because it was very, very bland.