Quests in MMOs

What is the MMO with the best quests
and why is it Runescape?

Because Runescape focused less on raid bosses and more on making an interesting fucking world.
I played the game when I was a retarded 8 year old and had a blast just exploring and doing the quests.

I think it was because of how Quests, Skills and Gear tied together.
F2P was also great as it really allowed to get the feel for the game and get momentum, as well as not overwhelm you with content.

>never played runescape
>try it a few months ago
>it's an absolute generic mmo with generic fetchquests and shit combat
Looks like I was being meme'd by Cred Forums yet again

Yep

Runescape is an MMO for people too retarded or poor to play an actual game.

This also overlaps with MMO fans, who have tastes so bland that they will play literally anything, to create the perfect storm of awful taste.

depends did you play osrs or rs3 this is important due to how shit rs3 has become its almost a different game. besides most of us oldfags played in the early 2000's when we were poor and nostalgia is a bitch, OSRS when i played it is still the shit in terms of quests although some were just horrible like Mournings end part 2 and those other elf things fuck those guys.

STO is pretty good.
Then again, it is more like a single player game with a heavy multiplayer leaning than a straight MMO

Fucking underage.

It was the wild west, nothing was balanced, conmen were abundant, gfs could be bought. Most tasks were repetitious and boring, but it provided an interesting analogy to our own lives as we slaved away in mines dreaming of mithril plate.

I honestly have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

I just entered runescape in google and went to the official site, then downloaded whatever edition was free to play.

desu someone never played Runescape, OSRS would be very hard to get into.
Nostalgia plays a really big part.

>>it's an absolute generic mmo with generic fetchquests and shit combat
retard alert. what are u gonna do now
post pepe?

>You're underage if you don't like my god-awful game

Fuck off cunt, I tried it forever ago, when it was still a Java applet on jagex.com.

Not everyone has played every game out there faggotron.

Hook line and sinker

I was serious btw

then it was most probably rs3, look at the end of the day the game was marketed towards to 12 years olds hence it was on miniclip and was next to fucking club penguin, its f2p model was loved by millions.

the players who still stick with that shit are all in their 20's-30s now and are stuck either because they dont want to quit or nostalgia. you missed the boat no adult coming into the game marketed towards kids is going to enjoy it.

it's one of the few mmos that isn't a wow clone and you're calling it generic.

Did you literally just do Cooks Assistant using the GE and quit?

Many new players are going into the game. You need to stop pretending it's all nostalgia.

>do Cooks Assistant using the GE
No idea what that means.

I did the tutorial and some of the first quests and there was absolutely nothing interesting about any of it.

Runescape is literally the only MMO ever that doesn't have stupid "Kill X monsters" quests. It's the only MMO that has even remotely tried to create interesting quests.

RS has some interesting combat when you get to a higher level and have to deal with some pretty hard bosses. But the bulk of combat is pretty generic point and click... That all said, I think this disadvantage of RS made it a better game. It forced Jagex to think outside the box and make quests more about skills, puzzle solving, and the world around you instead of boring fetch quests.

ppl are to retarded to realize are the items are possible to get in under a few minutes around Lumbridge and use the ge to buy them all. It's literally like couple minutes long. It's over in just a second if you buy them from the GE before starting it.

>no wikis to look things up on
>the only information you have to go on is the name of the quest
>bother people individually at that one cow farm (there was no global chat) asking to find "Earnest the Chicken"
>some guy actually leads me there
>it's bullshit crazy with trees attacking you
>the basement is absolutely full of people because everyone is too stupid to figure out the lever puzzle (no wikis)
Runescape might be grindy as shit, but I didn't know better and it will always be close to my heart

I have no idea what you're talking about. Why are you giving that guy game tips or whatever you're doing when he clearly has no interest?

Only massive casuals played Runescape. I remember playing Everquest and Ultima Online while my classmates were talking about Runescape and even back then I knew they were playing a shitty knockoff for kids with no attention span.

I wish more MMOs had puzzle solving quests.

>pretending to be a different person

literally grab a rope and hang yourself.

>I have no idea what you're talking about
>Why are you giving that guy game tips

It's literally the first quest you'd encounter if you head inside the castle you spawn at.

Nostalgia bomb

the ironic thing is that the most vocal chunk of the playerbase doesn't care about the quests and instead prefers grinding away at the Slayer skill, which is literally just randomly generated "Kill X monsters" quests ad infinitum

The Secret World and Rift both have puzzles.

I'm not pretending to be anyone, these are my posts in this thread.

>liking puzzles

people like you ruin games

Look at Richie Rich over here. What was it like riding a helicopter to school?

autism: the posts

Which one did you play? RS3 is generic and is complete shit if you played back when RS was actually good. Oldschool is just as good as the golden age of Runescape and it is populated as well.

Although I will say Runescape takes grinding way too fucking far. When I was a kid I didn't really notice since my friends and I had nothing better to do and we could play non-stop from the moment we got home from school to our bedtime. But going back now as an adult with a schedule to keep to really highlights how long everything is. The grind is shortened when you have friends to kill the time with, I tried joining /vg/'s clan but it just wasn't the same as talking to my actual childhood friends. I still remember calling all my bros up and trying to bait people into the wildy for easy shit while having Ed, Edd, and Eddy on in the background. Shit was probably the best vidya related memory I have.

Someone post the Pirate's Treasure image that always gets passed around.

depends if they are implemented well they are great but if they done half assed they become frustrating and un-fun

That was actually someone else but whatever, you don't have to believe me.

Just go back to playing your meme games with your nostalgia goggles.

Oldschool is not worth playing if you already played Runescape in the past; all it is the same fucking thing just with more places to grind because there's only been one new quest in the entire lifespan of the game.

>he's still posting

pathetic, i feel bad for you

havent played it recently but they did adjust a couple of skills and added some pretty good areas and rebalanced some drop tables making them a lot better GP/HR like zulrah wvyrens etc.

The whole point of oldschool was to jerk off your nostalgia. I don't know that many people who stuck around to 99 everything and maintain their account. I personally started playing oldschool with the goal of getting to level 70. I wound up getting to like 63 and got tired of the grind. Like I said, as a kid that stuff doesn't really show but as an adult it kills the entire experience.

Bullshit, the fremennik isles quest has a section where you have to kill 10 ice giants before you can proceed to the final boss fight

The Secret World

>do Death Plateau
>need some fish to get the boots
>don't want to grind my level enough to get them
>there's no GE at this point
>walk into Varrock and check the stores
>one guy tells me where the fish can be caught and to ask the people there
>head out to try to find a fisherman doing his thing
>luck out and one is there
>buy his fish and take it to continue the quest

>check out the game years later
>RS3 version is now completely different
>"Old School" RS has GE to supplant the need to trade with people

It was a lot of fun back when they tried to just make what felt like what would fit in the game instead of trying to change the game itself into a "proper" MMO.

free armor trimming

you can trust me with ur adamant

i can see why you hate the ge and all but do you really want to sit around all day selling your items like that. It just won't hold.