Does anyone actually still believe that this game has aged well?

Does anyone actually still believe that this game has aged well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Yd3pxdKJrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

I played the 3DS version last year and thought it was amazing. So yes.

Yes

yes

Does anyone actually believe games age?

Yes

You could say this to EVERY early 3D game, but these games still have good gameplay,
unless you're a graphicfag they're still enjoyable.

Yes

It's metaphorical you autistic fuck

Speaking of aging well/poorly, when does Wild Arms get good?

Just cleared first dungeon with the whole party and so far im pretty disappointed. Gameplay seems pretty bog standard and dialogue is infrequent and really bare bones in addition to being kinda poorly translated. Does it get better or have I been memed?

Does anyone ever been so far decided as to do want look more like?

It was shit when it came out.

Only the horse riding mechanics are a bit dated, but the rest of the game is still smooth as fuck

Never played Wild Arms, but according to wikipedia it has 5 ou 6 games isn't?
Maybe is just the first one that's kinda barebones?

Who even told you that Wild Arms was good? The music is fine but the game itself is a chore to play. Try Azure Dreams instead.

HUGE
EMPTY
FIELDS

>but these games still have good gameplay,
No. They were never good. There were games 10x as complex that came out at the time. The same with pokemon. By the time that came out, most people had already played shit like FF6 and chrono trigger. The ones that didn't fell for the pokescam

Memed again.

Alright I'll try azure dreams. Do you know if any of the later wild arms games are less soul crushingly dull?

PSX JRPG translations have a tendency sometimes to be unberearable. I've dropped many games because of them in the past. Also I second what that other user said about Azure Dreams but that one's more of a ARPG dungeon crawler.

The gameplay is pretty basic but not as basic as chrono trigger for example. Wild Arms relies on atmosphere mostly, and If you don't like it already then how about abusing the item duplication glitch to skip enemies and level up. It might make the game a bit less of a chore.

The only other advice I can give you is to use your heart.

It's definitely one of the worst aged games I've ever played.

I tried it last year and didn't have fun for the most part outside of a few small sections. Overrated as fuck.

No, plenty of other early 3D games aged well outside of their graphical technology. OoT just got the bad end of the stick. Even the artstyle is kinda meh for the most part, a lot of other early 3D games at least have good art keeping them looking decent.

Most of the design aspects haven't but graphically it looks and plays like shit and even some of the design aspects that they got right were improved drastically over the next couple of games.

>I play games for their textures

>things have to be complex to be effective or enjoyable

Kys

Beware. Azure dreams is dogshit. It's one of those dungeon rpgs with resetting dungeon shit,and the most basic gameplay possible. It hardly has a combat system.

Indeed

Sounds good to me. I'm just working my way through ps1 games I haven't played. So far the only one that hasn't turned into a snore fest at some point is hoshigami.

Is this a Cosmo thread

>it's one of those dungeon rpgs with resetting dungeon shit
>"I'm bad at video games"

OoT still looks great

As long as it doesn't get boring im fine. If it does I'll just drop it.

Can you honestly say you find your favorite nes and snes games as engaging as one of your favorite current gen games?

Games have gotten way more complex, and personally I get bored within minutes when playing old favorites. Only a jump button and 2 attacks, a 2 action button platformer. Beat em ups with one attack button. Shmups with too large hitboxes and too little bullets.

No 64 games aged well.

OoT just has a too classical look to dislike it

Yes.

The 3DS version has more responsive controls than the n64 version

Yeah, but that's cuz my favorite NES game is Nightshade. I totally agree with your point though.

Wild Arms 3 was the only one I liked.

It was literally babby's first Dark Souls

>The 3DS version has more responsive controls than the n64 version

It doesn't though. OoT reads input at 60 fps even if the framerate is lower.

wtf i hate zelda now

Yes.

I return to that game every 3-4 years or so and beat it all over again.

If you think OoT or MM haven't held up very well, you're either a graphixfag or a contrarian trying really hard to be different.

>Azure dreams
Oh hell yeah, I thought no one played that game.
I should really finish my town sometime.

>comparing a puzzle-focused adventure game to a grimdark combat focused game
baka desu

There weren't many games out at the time that attempted these kinds of draw distances

That was my experience going directly from the Wii VC version to OoT3D.

Is that the only excuse you can think of why I might say that? Aren't you afraid deep down that I actually have a good point about that game? Dungeon games belong in the realm of recycled shovelware such as tetris, running games, flappy copter clones, etc.

Why play a dungeon game where you move around and attack enemies automatically by walking into them if you can play FF7 with a customizable combat system that allows for lots of choice? Why not play sotn instead? srsly bruh.

i don't remember much about it except the world map music but even then it was a complete ripoff of ecstasy of gold

>VC

Found the problem. The emulator has input lag.

>tfw never traveled through Hyrule Field during the day because the giant flying sawblade plants scared me more than the army of skeletons.

Yes.

>Dungeon games belong in the realm of recycled shovelware such as tetris

Literally 0/10

Ocarina looks like shit graphically, most N64 games do, but he control is still satisfying and the formula is still enjoyable.

Really the only complaint I can make against it is that it's perhaps the later entries in its own series improved on it

You're not fooling anyone but retarded Reddit users, Arin. Just admit you're shit at the game, and move on.

>Nightshade
I saw that on a jontron episode. Seemed interesting with the blend of point n click mechanics and fighting game stuff. wth dude.

No memers are the only ones still praising this over much better zelda games before and after.

Yes.

Show me one action adventure game today that has a world, towns and NPCs as charming and enjoyable as OoT

In the off chance you ain't just having a laugh, know that what you're saying is the stupidest shit I've read this week.
It's currently friday, and I spend most of my day on Cred Forums, so there was competition.

Chocobo's dungeon 1 & 2
Pokemon mystery dungeon
Azure dreams
typical roguelike phone shit

They all have the same gameplay. It hasn't progressed at all.

It still runs at 20 FPS
Polling input at 60 doesn't do anything

Major's Mask 3DS count?

3DS version runs at 30fps

>Just admit you're shit at the game, and move on.
Being shit at what exactly? The game hardly has game mechanics. jumping is automatic.
combat is waiting and spamming attack. Targetting is automatic.
puzzles are made for 3 year olds.

srsly what bruh

Yes and has way less lag which is why the 3DS version feels so much more responsive.

Wii VC version would be second best due to way less lag

Why is it stupid?

>most people
>playing CT or FF6

that is a incredibly small minority

not to mention, you are so autistic that you can't realize why people might wanna play Pokemon over FF

also kids didn't play Pokemon for the "stat" and "number-crunching" rpg experience. And JRPGs hardly have any stats to fuck around with, if anything Pokemon does have more depth than either of the titles that you mentioned. Its just not a greath piece of story telling like CT or FF6.

I don't think you know how to play any of those games.
I think you're just moving around and using the regular attack and base settings, not changing a thing and using that for the whole game.

Dunno, N64 games look bare and unpolished in general. Sacrifices had to be made for playability.

You literally implied that Tetris is "shovelware". You are a moron not even worth responding to. Shame on me for this post, it's my last in this thread.

Controls are awful (and were even at the time), graphics are awful, but the melodies are still great.

>OOT is "charming"
>"I have no real argument besides muh nostalgia, so I'll use this buzzword to defend the game without actually bringing anything constructive to the table

50/50, I'd say the entire first third of the game is a shitty tutorial compared to everything that happens when you get time travel, at which point the aesthetic goes to 9/10, it actually pulls some sort of plot out of it's ass finally, the dungeons stop being shit, and you get to teleport which saves you a good 90% of hyrule field running.
The dungeon puzzles and general level design starting around jabu jabu are top tier and hold up very nicely.

Yeah.
It doesn't really have any outdated aspect, aside from the GRAFFIX.

Are you playing 3? All the others are garbage.

no, your opinion is shit, you xbox faget

>Polling input at 60 doesn't do anything

You do realize input and display rate is uncoupled right?

The N64 calculates game logic on the CPU at 60 FPS but only every third frame of those frames is rendered.

>"combat is waiting and spamming attack"

>We share a board with these people.

This and majoras mask are the two most Reddit games in history

>Polling input at 60 doesn't do anything
It literally does, unless the input polling is done right before the frame is drawn.
And I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't

Sure.

Because it just seems like you don't know how to play the game, which is kind of funny.
You're supposed to micromanage your monster's skills, or at least put him in a strategy that doesn't fuck you up too much if you're lazy or if the opponent is too weak.
You've got equipment that sometimes is interchangeable, and orbs that act as ultimate skills, you've got the ability to pick up monsters to use when in a tight spot, but it's risky so you'd want to think twice before using it.
The real meat is the monster managing, though. You're trying to preserve mana while still staying alive.

how anybody could play this unplayable trash is beyond me

the framerate is so low i am getting a headache just watching it

Why are they 'reddit' games? Try not to look retarded when you explain it.

That game has always been overrated as fuck. I mean, its good, maybe even great, but the number of idiots who honestly believe it's anywhere near best game ever is far too high. Goddamn, it wasn't even the best game in the year it came out

Do I believe it has aged to where it is still the "best game in the world" no I dont, but did it age to where it is still fun and charming, yes.

Not even nostalgia fags rate Oot enough to defend it here, the vastly superior zeldas have either used the same system or worse to make actually playable games while this is only considered "best game ever" by literal speed run autists but some how taken seriously.

Not even the best zelda on the console.

Play a good link.

I think the main problem in your webm is the combat being shit.

see You're just shit at the game, and that's not even taking into consideration that you have an entire fucking arsenal of items at your disposal to make combat run quicker.

>combat is waiting and spamming attack
Literal children on Cred Forums parroting stuff the heard on youtube.
This is fantastic, it's great, I love it.

Despite it being a pretty good game, OoT is one of the few games where the remake (OoT3D) is actually better than the original.
SM64 aged a bit better in comparison.

Yeah it's pretty cool although there is a good deal of jank. However I've never found another game like it.

>They were never good.
opinion invalidated. cuck

Well when you compare it to the competition on PS1 then yeah...OoT certainly did age well.

Not that guy, but are there honestly people here that think OoT has good combat?
And damn, even if you think that, that guy is still right because the whole game is easy as fuck and 'waiting and spamming attack' is the best method against almost any enemy.
I mean, I like the game, I'm replaying it right now on the 3DS, but come on

>"There's so fucking waiting around in this game."

In terms of actual stotry and characters, the Legacy of Kain series BTFO the Zeldas.

MMfags are so obnoxious

I really wouldn't mind games still having N64 graphics of developers would put as much heart into them.

I do. What are you gonna do about it?

In terms of actual story and characters, Dostoyevsky BTFO the legacy of kain series.

Hope you are ready for a good ass-whupping elf boy-lover!

It's not the best method, it's the easiest one, the shit one.
The one that you go for if you're bad and are overwhelmed by the fight.
You could afford to go for more flashy methods even as kid because as you said, the combat isn't that hard in OOT.

Yes. It's still fun, the gameplay holds up to this day and there's a considerable amount to do with each playthrough. You can even do the dungeons out of order when you really get accustomed to the game and even do sidequests as early as going into Hyrule Field for the very first time. And I say this as someone who grew up with the game and think it's inferior to Majora's Mask.

>that one ultra territorial peahat on the platform near the Gerudo Valley entrance that already flew up when you weren't even remotely near it

And right, ALSO MM isn't even my main jam. I just need to call out Oot since it can't compete on its console either.

He's parroting Egofaptors "opinion" on why OoT sucks. OoT's combat isn't good OR bad, it just works.
All the 2D Zelda's are no different in thers od their combat.
And most enemies can be dispatched with Dekunuts which cuts down on waiting. Egoraptor was a mistake.

When I defeated it with my slingshot, I felt like a king.

It's aged well enough in terms of gameplay albeit the puzzles were more challenging/engaging as a kid. I find introducing new people to the game has been easier with the remake. Most people that grew up enjoying Ocarina of Time don't mind the outdated graphics but not everyone has those rose-tinted nostalgia glasses

>best method
waiting and using your sword is a POSSIBLE method, which is good because everything else is a limited resource which you aren't always going to have, but it's the slowest way to fight
if you value your time, you'd keep at least the deku nuts and bow on C buttons most of the time to fight like a pro

Other than Sonic, I can't think of a single video game that has spawned such an obnoxious and rabid fanbase. Look at the degenerate Cosmo and the EH REH! guy.

for me n64 games are still playable and just recently i played oot and it was quite good. but i really want to play some psx games but just can't handle those 3d graphics they are JUST.. really bad except some of them like crash

>He's a criminal who feels bad about his crime and is becoming unhinged for five hundred pages
>"I found that paper you wrote very interesting"
>the paper is a theory that criminals become unhinged after committing crimes
woah

I'm sure he asked that question metaphorically you autistic fuck

The N64 game looks especially drab and muddy nowadays. The framerate doesn't help things either. I think if people can get over these things and some of the other archaic stuff they can still enjoy it, though.

The 3DS version also goes a long way in making the game more accessible for new players (updated textures, more environment detail, better models, no more prerendered backgrounds, 30fps as opposed to 20).

What are prerendered backgrounds? Is that when they don't come into full view until you get really close to them? I think Ocarina of Time N64 had something like that.

If this game was released today, and it had no specific branding (nintendo, zelda, fotm hipster, whatever) it wouldn't be rated higher than 2/10.

It would probably be a game released on Steam under greenlight almost no magazine/reviewer would actually cover, if any.

So no, it hasn't aged well.

I know you are just shitposting, but if you or anyone knows of any zelda style knockoff games on steam, I'd love to know

I'm talking about areas like the market and a lot of the house and shop interiors. On the n64 you can tell that they're just static images and not polygonal. Those environments are truly 3D on he 3DS game, although the camera angles remain static to preserve the feel of the original.

This is an absurd way of gauging how well a game has aged.

Oh, that. I always found that weird when younger.

>a game used to be considered good
>it wouldn't be considered good now

Therefore, it aged badly. Not that difficult.

Oceanhorn
Ittle Dew

The base idea was pretty neat, though the score seems absurdly low, considering stuff like undertale, LISA, Spooky's jumpscare mansion or a hat in time finds their audience while having sub-par graphics.
I guess you're considering an alternate universe where games influenced by OOT still came out even though it didn't come out years ago, making it unremarkable?

The N64 wasn't powerful enough to handle a open world filled with enemies. Even in its current state the game could only run at 20fps.

All N64 games have aged poorly.

no, its too easy. easy games are never good

If you play OoT 3D, yes, it has aged well.

I get the feeling the all early 3D games are shit meme is the result of 360 kids going back and playing actually good games.

Oot 3D was a wasted opportunity. they could've filled the overworld with more enemies.

nailed it.

"More complex" does not automatically equal better user.

Also, Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Pokemon are all fairly different games despite being in the same genre.

Well this was the same year Spyro released and invented LOD. So it was either that or copious amounts of fog like Turok.

Kirby series confirmed shit-tier.

>Well this was the same year Spyro released and invented LOD

Sorta, but Spyro separated the ambitious from the ones that didn't try.

They could've done much more, true. But as it is, they at least improved many little things the original game had. Updated graphics, smoother gameplay thanks to the second screen and digital buttons and they added those Sheikah Stones that help you out if you're a complete fucking newfag to the game. And it also feels like it runs a bit better than the original.

I got it for $17 new so I'm not complaining.

There was no LOD on terrain in Mario.

N64 used a tiny bit of LOD in certain games and certain scenarios, but it was so god damn weak in terms of raw power it could barely render 10 objects of 10 polygons each, you can't really LOD that down, they're already just reshaped cubes.
The only time you'll see it is in situations like where you're specifically staring at the character's face for 2 minutes, the entire rest of the game it's at the minimum LOD possible.

Which one?

>SM64
aged horribly

The power of the N64.

The N64 wasn't even weak for its time.

Malon.

I have to say Ruto

Objectively wrong.

You do realize that the N64 is a more powerful machine then the PS1 right.

malon always
saria's pretty close though

Saria.

>The N64 wasn't even weak for its time.
Of all 5 consoles in that generation it was the cheapest, the weakest, and released a year later than everything else.
It's effectively the same gap as the wii to the 360 or ps3.

cowtits 4eva

Yes. The puzzles are the best around

>I have literally no idea what I'm talking about
Good to know.

Spyro didn't invent LOD because the N64 had mipmapping support (a form of texture LOD that also reduces aliasing) built into its hardware.

The LOD used in Spyro is disturbingly obvious on real hardware because unlike mipmapping on N64, the LOD stages are clearly visible. There's no smooth transition between them.

>n64
>weaker than the brickstation

You have no fucking clue

It has noticeable aging, but it does considerably better than most games from that particular era.

And yet the stronger console ended up being the biggest fucking failure. And then went on to do the same fucking thing with the Dreamcast.

I wonder when people are going to realize Nintendo isn't successful because of its hardware, but because of its licenses.

>N64 was so god damn weak in terms of raw power it could barely render 10 objects of 10 polygons each

Never played World Driver Championship I guess

I couldn't get into Ocarina of Time for some reason. Even back in 2000, just before Majora's Mask, I just found it to be incredibly lifeless. Then I played Twilight Princess (OoT v2) and found it a lot better.

>faggots actually implying the writing in the legacy of kain games is better than Dostoyevsky

Off yourself neckbeard.

>unified ram
Well, that explains everything from "why do n64 games look the worst" to "why the fuck do the ps3 and ps4 use unified memory"

>that flickering

The N64 wasn't even a failure, they still made money off it thanks to Americans liking it. Compare that to the Saturn or anything that wasn't the Playstation.

Virtually every single console uses unified RAM now. N64 was just ahead of its time (like it was in most things).

Super Metroid is just as engaging today if not moreso than your average AAA title.

You realize the only reason unified ram exists is because it's infinitely cheaper, right?
It's also infinitely slower.
I don't doubt it's "ahead of it's time" but the only thing it's ahead of it's time in is cost cutting measures.

>And then went on to do the same fucking thing with the Dreamcast.
I didn't know Nintendo made the Dreamcast.

Ruto but Saria is close and loli Zelda was always cute to me.

The OoT girls are fucking timeless

The problem with RAM is that past some point, the rest of the system is a bottleneck.
Occasionally you see tech demoes that use RDRAM for super speed and super polygons, but those are too rare.

PS4's unified RAM only works so long its clocked as high as it is, but really, its fine because its fast enough.

Unified RAM is a thing now, because the GPU/CPU and special chips are now things that work properly together. A generation back, and those where nightmare stuff to get to work together.

>its fine because its fast enough.
And still 1/50th as fast as real VRAM.
It's a visible bottleneck for graphics processing which is constantly reading and writing from/to VRAM.

>A generation back, and those where nightmare stuff to get to work together.

360 used unified RAM and nobody complained about it.

I distinctly recall people shitting on the PS3's divided RAM. Because it put a hard cap of 256 MB each on the CPU and the GPU, with no flexibility otherwise allowed.

I beat the 3DS version last week, it's still good stuff

It's easier than I remember but that's just what happens when you get older and a little less dumb

>360 used unified RAM and nobody complained about it.
Everyone was more pissed about the fact it was 512MB when the pc standard was already 2GB, the fact it was unified was a minor problem in comparison.
>I distinctly recall people shitting on the PS3's divided RAM. Because it put a hard cap of 256 MB each on the CPU and the GPU, with no flexibility otherwise allowed.
That was a whole other level of stupid on sony's part because the ram was still effectively unified, still just a cluster of 512MB of ram total, with some sort of arbitrary firmware setting limiting it from being use otherwise than 50/50 even split.
The problem with unified memory is it's slow and way too far away from the GPU in terms of architecture, so sony just gave everyone the worst of both worlds with that shit.

Saria stays a loli forever. The answer is pretty obvious.

People shat on the PS3 because there is a bunch of questionable design decisions.
Such as the GPU being shit. Or the Cell engine not being integrated nicely into the system.
Or the different pools of RAM being too small for what it wanted to do.

1/50 doesn't really matter when that 1/50 isn't going to be 1/60th of the size, hence hampering transfer by bounds.

yes

>1/50 doesn't really matter when that 1/50 isn't going to be 1/60th of the size, hence hampering transfer by bounds.
What the hell are you talking about, I can't comprehend, are you saying 1GB of texture data takes up 16MB of unified memory?

>Everyone was more pissed about the fact it was 512MB when the pc standard was already 2GB

Literally never happened. Everybody was and is aware that consoles don't need as much RAM as PCs since they don't have background processes going on at the same level. Not to mention optimization.

Rayman 2 ran on the N64 with 4 MB of RAM, while the PC version which was identical otherwise than supporting a high resolution needed 40 MB.

>because the ram was still effectively unified

No it wasn't on PS3. It pretty much worked identically to a PC.

Super Metroid is fucking garbage and the most overrated game of all time.

Zero Mission and Fusion greatly improved upon its objectively shit controls.

I am saying if you really get going, its better to have 8GB of free movable data, instead of watching a 62, or 128mb or 256 buffer waiting starved for data.
As Sony and Microsoft has experienced: Said buffer is rarely used for anything productive, and game engines don't use them by default.

Who cares? It's so good, it didn't have to. The created an atmosphere with the combination of this game's absolutely incredible soundtrack (which also is a gameplay element), its unique art style and semi-realistic anime fantasy look and medieval world which is legitimately unmatched.

Not to mention the level design is still challenging in times of Witcher 3 or Dark Souls which literally just want you to walk through corridors without any platforming or puzzles at all killing mobs. And the gameplay is still amazingly varied with lots of different items.

And then all those NPCs, the time and night cycle which still isn't standard today, Epona...

Wow, what an amazing game. Thank you for making me realize again, OP.

It's literally the Forrest Gump of video games.

Wrong. Ocarina of Time would be an example of a great game hipster faggots pretend to dislike. It's the highest rated game of all time and the winner of most "Best Game Ever" polls.

Meanwhile, Super Metroid is a shit game that faggot hipsters pretend to like. It's an irrelevant pile of trash that sold about as much as a Fire Emblem game.

>and medieval world which is legitimately unmatched

>Everybody was and is aware that consoles don't need as much RAM as PCs since they don't have background processes going on at the same level
Please user, the ps4 wastes up to 3GB of ram on system processes, windows 7 and all associated system processes combined on my computer have never gone past 300MB, usually idling around 100MB
>Not to mention optimization.
90% reducing graphics quality to make it run smoother, 10% actual console-specific optimizations, and that was in the ps3 era, it's way worse now.
>Rayman 2 ran on the N64 with 4 MB of RAM, while the PC version which was identical otherwise than supporting a high resolution needed 40 MB.
No surprise there, the entire image is saved to memory before it's rendered so a bigger image/higher resolution means more ram required. What renders at 1920x1080 using exactly 1GB of ram will require 4GBs of ram for the same image at 4k.
Also the LOD and fog on the console version of rayman 2 was fucking TERRIBLE

So user, which games do match it? Even Witcher series, which is amazing, doesn't do quite the same level of atmosphere.

How good is it compared to Majora's Mask?
I intend to get both eventually but can only afford one this year for my recently bought N3DS.

Which one should I get as someone who only played ALTTP as a kid?

Also, any reason in particular MM costs more than OOT? (in my country at least).

>Please user, the ps4 wastes up to 3GB of ram on system processes,
Just 3GB for the streaming service? Its pretty cheap.
Even a good OBS setup burns a few cores and a few gigs of Data is you want to use proper video codecs

Not that guy, but one of the reasons I love Zelda is that it's a fantasy world that ISN'T shameless medieval and Tolkien-esque. There are castles, but it's not overly European, instead of orcs and elves you have rock men and fish people and all sorts of creativity coming out the ass, I love the artistic side of it all.

>Please user, the ps4 wastes up to 3GB of ram on system processes

Yeah well that's a fuck up of this generation. Older generation consoles had absolutely tiny OS.

>Also the LOD and fog on the console version of rayman 2 was fucking TERRIBLE

There's literally no fog in any of the console versions (and there are a lot of version out there) except the PS1 version so not sure what you're on about.

MM is better but you should play OoT first because it lays the groundwork. I always compare them to Star Wars. Empire Strikes Back is better than New Hope but you wouldn't watch Empire first.

OoT remake is cheaper because it's been out longer and Nintendo rebranded it as a budget title to help sell the system.

Nvidia does the same thing with only a 5%-10% memory overhead in their drivers natively, even if you're rendering at 4k max everything that'll only be ~200-400MB

If you liked the main story and dungeons more, you'd probably like OoT more

If you liked the secrets, sidequests, and atmosphere more you'd probably like MM more

Ideally though you'd want to play them both, OoT first and MM second

This is honestly one of the worst things I have ever read.

MM is a different style of game.
The only flaw it has, is that its a shorter game from a raw content perspective.
But its a longer game, because it plays in a way that naturally allows you to enjoy it.

Nvidia doesn't "do the same thing".
Nvidia's solution can't be used if the game actually has proper utilization of their GPU's, but thats so rare that they went ahead and decided to go for Shadowplay.

Then again, people tend to forget Sony's solution isn't just a twitch stream client, its so much more.

Yes, I am talking about shadowplay user.
Even saving the last 10 minutes of game footage encoded on the fly in real time It'll AT MOST waste 400MB

Ocarina is the successor to alttp, so get that. Afterwards, get Majora when you have the time.

Because you compare Shadowplay(a streaming tool for captured video, real time) to Sony's PS4 super system(streaming, editing, encoding, all the cool gimmicky VR camera stuff, etc).
If it just was the video streaming, it would most likely use 500 or 1000 max. But its more than that.

Thanks, will be getting OoT first.

>There's literally no fog in any of the console versions (and there are a lot of version out there) except the PS1 version so not sure what you're on about.
Most of the levels were corridors, but any time you can see more than 10 feet forward you'll see the fog kicking in, it just looks weird as shit because it's always within the same color-pallet as the level so a level with blue and green = bluishgreen fog. Look at the top left of this image for example.

MM is a better game but the 3ds port looks like shit IMO, they really ruined the dark aesthetic.

Pokemon legitimately has more depth than either of those two games.

Simplicity often makes way for depth, complexity often does the opposite.

You realize shadowplay can stream with zero overhead and does editing and encoding on the fly, right?
I'm not sure what kind of gimicky vr stuff you're talking about.

Although really, Link's Awakening is the sequel to alttp. It's great, but it plays very similar to its predecessor.

Have fun user

'''Silng Maewmas's nw Doell vio!'''

youtube.com/watch?v=9Yd3pxdKJrg

>You realize shadowplay can stream with zero overhead
There is a huge overhead with Shadowplay. Just not on your CPU.
If you don't understand what Shadowplay is, or what the cost or, or why its not a cost to use it, then you don't understand Shadowplay

That's not distance fog, it's a fucking atmospheric effect used as a primitive depth of field.

It's actually technically intensive to do it because you need to alpha blend the fog with the shit behind it.

No, you idiot, "SHADOWPLAY CAN STREAM WITH NO OVERHEAD"
Lets break that down, for illiterates such as yourself.
As in, once shadowplay is in, burning it's whopping 2% of video processing power and 5-10% of your video ram doing all the saving, encoding, editing required, then everything past that is a freebie, including streaming.
Dumb mother fucker.

[bold]asvsdv swdv adgsf[/bold]

It's an atmopsheric effect if you're going to do it like in your image with different depth layers of fog, n64 wasn't even capable of that shit, it used the most standard fog rendering where you give it 2 numbers and at distance X transparency is 100, and at distance Y transparency is 0, and everything between is interpolated. It takes almost no processing power, it looks like shit, and it's done almost exclusively to hide shitty LOD and occlude everything past the Y.

Nigga, Pokemon is at least a billion times deeper than FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

FFVI's Esper system is awful, it's worse than Junction and License Board.

[bold]gsf[/bold]

user, creating 5-10 layers of transparant blurred textures, isn't data intensive.
Volumetric fog on the other hand, is.

Do you understand the difference?

>He thinks that GPU overhead
>Isn't overhead

Shadowplay's overhead is almost nothing, 99% of video encoding is done by NVENC at no processing cost, I'm saying streaming through shadowplay has no additional overhead, and if you think streaming and shadow play are the same thing then you're a fucking idiot and I'm done with you.

It's amazing how OoT and Mario 64 have both aged great, but Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 have aged god damned horribly.

I would recommend starting with literacy.
There is overhead.
If your argument is "lol no CPU overhead so no overhead", then try again.
If you run into it, its a bitch, because you can run into it in 4k gaming.

Since Ocarina of Time is still more fun to play than any of the 3D Zelda games that came after, I'd say its aged pretty well.

>it used the most standard fog rendering where you give it 2 numbers and at distance X transparency is 100, and at distance Y transparency is 0, and everything between is interpolated

That's called alpha blending and it requires a lot of RMW cycles.

> It takes almost no processing power,

It takes almost no processing power if you set distance X and distance Y to be a very short range, since not many pixels are getting alpha blended. But that's clearly not what Rayman 2 is doing. Distance X and Distance Y are very far apart.

In fact, Distance Y isn't ever visible because the game does not use fog to fully hide landscape.

>user, creating 5-10 layers of transparant blurred textures, isn't data intensive.

Any form of alpha blending is intensive for a 20 year old console, idiot.

Get on with the times, grandapa.
Transperancy was a bitch for the SNES, but not for the Genesis.
Dithering exists, which also do the same thing, but cheaper.
For PS1 and N64, it could be done, and it usually was.
With some overdraw, but not a lot.

You're right, there's overhead, here's a gold star and a participation bad.
The problem is you were using streaming/encoding overhead to explain why the ps4 uses up 3GB of memory all the time, which you haven't done considering shadowplay uses up 1/10th of that.
So, what was your point again? Shadowplay having negligible overhead and the ps4 sucking ass? Was that it? You sure got me with your goalpost moving railroading argument user.

I already have these games from when they came out but I kind of want them on 3DS just because I like to replay them so much. For some reason filling up the inventory menu with crap in a Zelda game is just so satisfying to me.

Yes. It shows it does not tell. Fuck off.

We're talking true alpha blending, not basic color averaging between two layers like on SNES, or dithering tricks like Genesis.

What made alpha blending more complicated on N64 was that for the atmospherics / distance fog, you needed to read the Z-Buffer if you wanted to accurately blend % by distance.

>there are people in this thread right now who buy old consoles instead of using dolphin