How's that game coming along Cred Forums?

How's that game coming along Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL30A9ABDDB2E58F63
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAB212FD0960EA7A1
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC759306A1E692A10
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCFBBA6A7A7BB34F8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6084D9673DDB0306
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgg_IAVh6t8hV_Cd_6CNke7GPZ49NZado
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F-zdpFb9I
youtube.com/watch?v=OzUIIkP5RMA
youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2IHO2xBrY
mirroredsoulgame.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8xbfYm9G4
youtube.com/watch?v=vv8Qs59d8vY
i.gyazo.com/0afcf5740a693a0cfde622ec6397fee3.gif
youtu.be/TftLNBCijuw?t=2m27s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I drew a boss!

Having fun managing variables.

Don't want to turn this into a general but I put together some useful links which might hopefully get a couple of people started/fend off some FAQ's. Will add any other useful tutorial series if they crop up. These are just ones I know of to be pretty useful.

Game Engines:
Unity
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL30A9ABDDB2E58F63
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAB212FD0960EA7A1
Unity+Playmaker
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC759306A1E692A10
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCFBBA6A7A7BB34F8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6084D9673DDB0306

3D Modelling:
Blender
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgg_IAVh6t8hV_Cd_6CNke7GPZ49NZado

Marketing:
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F-zdpFb9I
youtube.com/watch?v=OzUIIkP5RMA
youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2IHO2xBrY

I am spending way too much time trying to make every single object as generic and reusable as possible.

What's your game? Not much of a sprite artist so can't really comment, looks pretty cool though from an outsiders POV

I'm waiting on testers' feedbacks

That sprite's not done, is it?

>Fell into pixel art meme

I tried this and I don't understand why anyone would want to make game in pixel shit

>it's limited
>it can't fulfill your artistic vision
>it's actually harder to make than just draw it
>It looks worse than just drawn stuff

What's the fucking point of pixel shit?

I'm not that good of a spriter; I considered it good enough desu. It'll probably look better animated.

It might be worth it, in the last months I spent way too much time on changing small things because my objects weren't reusable and generic

The designs and linework are pretty good, but the shading and colouring needs some work. Try some anti-aliasing and hue-shift shading.

What sorts of problems were you encountering?

I've been using Unity professionally for about 3 years while working on my own game on evenings and weekends. It's going about as slowly as expected.

I kinda convinced myself out of it.

Just use an excel sheet for that.
Remember to fill in description, variable type, and where used columns so you know what each do.

Unless you have supermemory and know where all variables are located at any time.

Finally a reason to download OpenOffice!

And yet pixel art games sold more per game than all other games either using 3d or hi res art.
So you definitely have brain problems.

i bought the game maker humble bundle, that is my progress for the upcoming month.

This isn't necessary. Most IDE's can list all the references to any variable (e.g. in Monodevelop, right click a variable and select Find References). That and a comment paired with the variable declaration is enough.

Its coming good. Making assets for the house atm and then gonna work on AI

I had similar enemies throughout several different stages, and their appearance and behaviours were defined per stage and not global to all stages.

I had to update their sprites and change some behaviours through each stage separately instead of doing it once for all instances in the whole game. But hey, I'm learning from my mistakes I guess

It is vastly faster if you do it like that since you can access quickly what variable is available and what is not.

A little amount of work save a lot of time in the long run.

These threads are so much better than the /agdg/, which is pure, unfiltered cancer.

>Libreoffice

Ftfy. Don't use Oracle products.

I don't fucking know.

I feel like I should focus on art and music so I'll have assets. But my motivation for writing music is thin and I sure as hell don't know where to start with art

>hp_bar_delay
it's such a simple thing but it's tasty

Fair enough, I'll check that out instead.

It may not be able to fulfill your particular vision, and you may be limited in what you can create, but it's just as legitimate as any other form of art in games. Pixel art can be beautiful under the right hands. The people's opinion (at least on Cred Forums and some other microcosms of the internet) on pixel art has been soured in part due to the bevy of developers who either:

>can't afford to hire a proper artist
>insist they do the visuals themselves
>give an honest attempt at """retro pixel art"""

Which is a shame, because there are definitely indie games in development with some great work in them.

It also bums me out when games with subpar pixel art get incredibly popular (Undertale, for example) and people even try to ape a look that wasn't very good to begin with in the first place.

>High sold rates=good games

moron

Sounds like a waste of time to me. Updating an external spreadsheet constantly is a huge time sink. Also, searching the spreadsheet for variable references is a waste of time, the IDE already provides that function for you. It's faster and guaranteed to be up-to-date.

Definitely this, they just need some depth

Looks nice, keep it up

It's boring. How do I create a more immersive game?

dude add more platforms and enemies, and more pixels

>immersive
add underwater sections

He's an alien - give him more alieny powers/different attacks from the humans. Like, make their heads explode or suspend gravity or some shit.

Looks like a fun learning experience/hobby for you, but no one would play it even if it was free.

I feel you receive too little damage and the enemies are too dumb. I'd just choose one of those, not both

Finally fixed the error with my pc bsod'ing and locking up forcing me to lose progress so I'm gonna work on it like mad until I burn out again and hopefully have a demo up by the end of october

This is something I haven't looked into enough. I'll try to think something that's not too OP though.
Thanks for the tough love, appreciate it. This is my first platformer.
ok.

Try adding like a "ground pound" move or whatever that quickly moves you downwards.

Why did you get into game development if you don't know basic game design?

TO LEARN

For starters, play around with jumping physics and how much you can alter speed mid-air, that jumping makes me sick.

And acceleration.

Oculus confirmed for highest quality-per-game ratio?

jumping physics need more gravity, unless you're going for moon gravity... hard to tell with the graphics, it could be the moon I guess... but it looks very floaty

I thought it was meant to be in space, the floatiness would be fine there

Scrap your project and make a Megaman RPG.

Why would you make a platformer with shit movement?

Do that shit, just half a second from standing still and going full speed and vice versa makes a huge difference for general movement.
Changing direction mid-air is retarded unless you've got some mechanic for it with graphical flair.

What I got:
- working enemies
- working item pickup system
- concept for minimap

Things I can't fix yet:
- WHY DOES JUMPING FUCK UP WHEN I ADD DOUBLE JUMP REEEEEEEEEEEEE
- figuring out how to do the minimap in a non-shitty way is killing me
- too fucking lazy to make actual maps
- collisions wonky as fuck

Trying to gather peoples opinions on this

In my game, whether your troop successfully hits the enemy or not is based on a formula, that produces a hit chance percentage, which obviously then translates into a hit or not. I've seen lots of people complaining recently that this is incredibly frustrating, because the game isn't about skill at that point, but rather, luck.

However, like XCOM, that chance increases based on your troop positioning/whether you have them flanked or not/having a height advantage. Surely then, it becomes more about skill? What more could I try and mix into the formula to make it more skill based?

I made my sqaure have a hover jump. That is my excitement of my day.

the magic elixir you're looking for is called 'context'

Slower than I'd like but I'm trying.

i made the game and realized my dream of becoming a game dev. i can now die happily,

it depends, does the chance turn into 100% in a feasible amount of situations?

because if not you'll still get that extremely frustrating 2% chance to miss and lower the enjoyment the player has for your game

Valkyria Chronicles is a neat game that has hit% chances in a turn based game, INCREDIBLY frustrating when you miss, INCREDIBLY frustrating when the AI seems to never miss, not very rewarding when you get a lucky hit, it does raise the stakes for risky actions though

basically, I don't have a solution for your problem, RNG is a bitch but sometimes you just need it

try experimenting with ways to make it 100% that are maybe more costly in resources or time or whatever but guarantee a certain hit
assuming your game is a strategy game, your player will have a gameplan before he even does the first action and would like to follow that gameplan
give that player the option to 100% go through with his plan if he wishes to do so and not trip him at every corner
but you'll have to be wary to also give a risk/reward situation for high stakes strategies that stress adaptability and flexibility over tactical thinking

Oh wow, you managed to follow a tutorial, gz.

If the enemy is in the open and unaware, the hit % will be very high and 100% for troops with a good Markmanship stat.

However, I will take on board your comments and think on them, thankyou very much for your feedback, appreciate it.

People don't like RNG elements like that because a 99% chance to hit feels 'sure', but you feel betrayed when that 1% happens. Stuff like this encourages save scumming instead of strategic play.

If you feel the need to do RNG, I'd say keep the accuracy at near-100% if it's within the recommended distance of their weapon and the enemy is out of cover. If the enemy is out of cover or the weapon isn't intended to shoot that far, then the accuracy should plummet.

That or make all shots hit, but things like cover or effective weapon range affect damage/critical hits.

Still fiddling around with the otome RPG from this the poll
Should the character she is highest in affection with help her in battle
Otome crossed with RPG is a weird thing to actually try to make

>However, like XCOM, that chance increases based on your troop positioning/whether you have them flanked or not/having a height advantage. Surely then, it becomes more about skill? What more could I try and mix into the formula to make it more skill based?
forgot to mention this

skill or not skill is not a binary state, there's an infinite amount of substates between those

as far as I know, XCOM allows you to heighten the chance of hitting the enemy when you have an advantageous position, but it's never 100% right?
which means, even if it's something like 99% or 95%, chances are every single player will STILL get that edge case scenario of absolutely WHIFFING a crucial attack and maybe even losing a unit for it
which is punishment for something they can't do anything about, there's no reason they should've whiffed that, they did everything as right as it possibly could be

the more you reduce those edge cases, the more the player's enjoyment will stay consistent and/or increase throughout the game

or how about

hear me out here

how about you just

this will sound crazy but just stay with me here

okay, okay, here we go

how about you DON'T HAVE RNG-BASED MECHANICS IN THE GAME AT ALL

If you're worried about people complaining about RNG, then you can just not have it and plot some other way to inject variation into battles or whatever the hell it is you're using RNG for.

Movement is controversial in my game. Some people love it, others cant stand it. Here's some gameplay with stronger gravity and slower movement.
Fun fact, at some point I wanted to change this game into a metroidvania, but that would take way too much time. Hopefully Alien John 2: Probing Legend Return will be the moon based metroidvania I always wanted to make.

Just hide the percentage and say something vague about your aim instead

RNG is fine in some mechanics
damage rolls for example as in pokemon

hit% is too drastic a mechanic, it's either you do your damage or you don't do anything at all and waste a turn for nothing
it discourages risky plays, discourages planning ahead

It doesn't answer your question about skill, but to ease the frustration: how about not completely missing the shot if the roll is close to the threshold and having a gradual damage penalty instead?

I never played XCOM, the closest game I can think of is advance wars, where you can never miss and can always see what % of damage you will deal to the enemy troop (with a very small possible variance)

This is a joke, right?
I'm asking because I can actually believe that people stupid enough to do this exist.

>RNG is fine

guess what, a lot of AI is based on RNG without you even noticing
some things you can't even humanly accomplish without RNG
you'd know this if you were making a game

>I'm doing retarded stuff so that must be the only way

I think there's a very clear difference between
>alright, this enemy moved to this side instead of this other side, so i have to go to X place next
and
>whoops, looks like your attack missed. why? because i felt like it lmao
>and then the enemy gets a critical on you

>some things you can't even humanly accomplish without RNG
Things like what?

It's going ok, a lot of work to be done.

>those rixels

hit the nail on the head with my last statement, huh?

don't get me wrong, I'm all against hit% RNG and I clarified so in my previous post

I just think for many games it's perfectly fine to use for other things than hit% and I mentioned damage rolls like in Pokemon

Attack can do 100 damage +- 2% or something like that.

>Things like what?
critical hits come to mind
say you want to have critical hits in your game because you like the rewarding feeling of them

how do you implement them without at least some form of RNG? critical hits are designed to make the player feel lucky and good about them

make it like Fallout 4 did? I remember when the crit bar was confirmed back before fallout 4 launched, threads went ballistic over this, understandably, it's stupid and adds nothing to the "game feel" as a mechanic by itself

This looks really good. Are you basing your gameplay on some other game?

Right, so more people would be happy if you could attain 100% hit chance if say, you were within a certain weapon range and the enemy was out of cover and the usual?

Obviously I understand there's a certain hate for RNG, but what other way is there of determining whether a shot has hit or not without it? I'm sure most games use it in some form of another and just don't show it.

What if you just make everything 90% or higher round up to 100%? That way tactical play gets punished less often.

I played your demo from the game jam. Good shit but I had trouble gitting gud.

that's just asking for frustration at every corner

I just fixed a gamebreaking bug so I feel really good
Time to progress on other stuff

Why? Missing an 80% shot doesn't make players feel nearly as "cheated".

>Obviously I understand there's a certain hate for RNG, but what other way is there of determining whether a shot has hit or not without it?
again, my advice to you is

don't remove RNG, reduce it
you want those edge case scenarios to happen as rarely as possible

I found a bug in my game that to my knowledge can only be solved by completely rewriting my enemy AI so I've been putting it off for 2 months.

oh I misread your post, I get your point, would have to think about that though

pls no bully

Thanks! The Devil May Cry series is one of my biggest inspirations, among other hack n slash titles, but I also want to add some ARPG elements like stat boosting, enhancing certain skills/attacks and different weapon drops/types. Until yesterday the gameplay was actually isometric top down but that was a mistake.

jk it looks fantastic

>I just think for many games it's perfectly fine to use
We'll have to agree to disagree because I despise RNG.

>critical hits come to mind
Some sort of charge mechanic or something. Like a charge-up spell or whatever. Or restricting critical attacks to certain situations, like hitting an enemy from behind and such.

If there HAD to be RNG no matter what, then I really like how Trails in the Sky did it. The critical attacks are random, however you see them coming and you can manipulate the turn order to make the best use of them you can. And if you can't, then you can at least see them coming and can adjust your tactics accordingly. It's both random AND rewards skillful play.

My advice is still to remove RNG and come up with something else, however if you must have it then you should go with what the other anons are saying, that RNG should not determine if a shot hits or misses, but how much damage it does. You should also offer the player as much control over the percentages as you can.

Interesting idea, but surely you're just having the same problem? If a player hits 89% chance hit and misses, surely that's the exact same as getting 99% and missing?

Thankyou for your continued advice (not just him but to everyone), appreciate the time. I'll be keeping RNG because as far as I can see it's the only/easiest way of working it out. Obviously I'll be rewarding tactical gameplay as much as possible.

How would people feel if - if your troop is in full cover, there is a 0% chance of them being hit, but if they're still in the visibility range, the enemy still know their current position? That way you're not being hit by any bullshit lucky shots from the enemy and you've still got time to reinforce your troop, but the enemy can slowly work towards flanking them unless you help in time? Would that make the game too easy?

It'd still be frustrating, but I'd say it's not as frustrating as missing a 99%.

Like the others said, you mostly want to smooth out the edges of the bell curve by guaranteeing a hit or failure if it's above a certain threshold.

If you're removing RNG, you could multiply your accuracy times your expected damage for high rate-of-fire weapons, rather than calculating it for each bullet or for the whole volley. Players may choose to accept doing chip damage in exchange for not leaving their secured position. Most single-shot weapons have a very specific range (fictional snipers and shotguns) or cannot feasibly miss as long as they're in the right area (rocket launchers), so I'd suggest keeping those as hit-or-miss.

SMT has a fun system in some of its games where you get into buff/debuff wars for accuracy and agility. If you max your accuracy and agility while minimizing the enemy's, their damage output will drop rapidly.

RNG is hard to balance, you either have to cut it out or keep playing with it until it feels alright.

> My advice is still to remove RNG and come up with something else, however if you must have it then you should go with what the other anons are saying, that RNG should not determine if a shot hits or misses, but how much damage it does.

I'll try but I must admit I'm not sure how that would work. Lets take for example, gun play. I could understand perhaps a Shotgun, which has a spread, having a guaranteed chance to hit for quite a way, but because of bullet spread, there are diminishing returns on damage. However, lets take into account a Sniper Rifle, which already has a long range. I'm not sure it makes sense for them to then be able to hit across the map, but then that bullet somehow does very little damage?

Not having any RNG in a tactical game makes it a solved game, which many people take issue with.

Thankyou for this comment, it's definitely helped summarise what some of the other have been trying to get across to me and I think I'm coming around to the idea of the different weapons working out damage in different ways. It'll be complicated and time consuming, but what's the point in putting out a game quicker that nobody wants to play/gets frustrated with? Again, I'll have to play around with it for a bit and see for myself.

Might come back in future with more questions. Any more comments please feel free to drop them at me, even if its just to let me know how you feel about a certain mechanic, currently cooking so replies will be a little wavy.

Increase the cost of firing a sniper rifle, by increasing the time it takes to take aim, the time it takes for a sniper to get its turn, set up restrictions for when a sniper can fire, etc.
Whatever fits your game.

There's nothing wrong with a solvable game. Board games like 'Go' have a finite number of moves, but it'll be a good while before the game is solved. Chess also, to a lesser extent, and people still like to play it. If you can solve it in your head like Tic-Tac-Toe, then you're too easily solveable.

The only downside to this is that players could follow a guide step by step if missions were always the same. I remember doing that in Advance Wars if I didn't like a level very much (the RNG in that game was minimal from what I remember).

Adding more and more (test?) stuff.
Switched to something resolution independent instead of original SNES resolution + retro filter.

I hope i can manage to make a good enough model of the main character to render.
I've been better at modelling mechanical or environmental stuff.

Also waiting for Unity's smart sprite preview update, whenever that will happen.

And when i got my character and a first level with own graphics ready I'll start a dev blog.. i think.

>Some sort of charge mechanic or something. Like a charge-up spell or whatever.
which is exactly what Fallout 4 did, which is exactly what everyone hated about it

again, crits are by design made to make the player feel lucky
there's no other way to conjure that feeling other than RNG, making it a some sort of charge that you have full control over destroys everything about this, might aswell call it "berserk mode" or something

it's interesting you bring up Trails in the Sky, I love the game but even it has hit% RNG on physical attacks while having no hit% on magic attacks
simply discourages ever using physical attacks DESPITE there being many situation where enemies are very resistant to magic

also, the rolls on the right are a good idea, poorly executed though because can't really plan ahead because your turns are tied to your parties' and the enemies' (RNG in the latter) speed stat
it's very easy to accidentally push a crit to an enemy, for that reason they show you when your next turn is but only for a single round
not much planning ahead here when the bar goes on for ~15 rounds

I agree though that designing games without the player having to deal with RNG at all is a good thing

>Would that make the game too easy?
don't ever think like that, in many cases it simply shifts the difficulty to another aspect of the game

you can balance it out by "buffing" other mechanics if that reduces frustration

Yeah, that's what I mean. Chess and go are "PvP" games.

I suppose a solution is to leave randomness in, but only for the AI's decision making.

I cant figure out how to do a collision for a top down

Well, if they look up a guide, then they're ruining their own fun. Sometimes you have to accept that people will play your game wrong.

That or you could mildly randomize enemy spawns/AI actions. Over a long battle, it should change it enough that a guide would be less helpful.

It should be the same as collisions in any other genre, unless you're trying to optimize it (then you start getting into things like quadtrees).

The colliders are only on the character's feet

>randomness, but only for the AI's decision making
Don't expose the AI logic.

Why would that matter? If the AI's logic is consistent, but obscured, and the game has no RNG, then doing the same moves will lead to the AI doing the same moves in response.

>Bought Gamemaker
>Still haven't played around with it enough yet
I want to make non-pixel sprites first, but can't decide on a good main character.
Your artstyle is appealing, in a cute way. I like it.

If someone wants to cheat, they'll find a way to cheat, be it guides, Cheat Engine or what-have-you and you can't stop them. You really shouldn't build your game around the people that won't bother playing it properly.

>but can't decide on a good main character.
make it a loli

Not him, but I think he means a small amount of rng added to each choice in order to occasionally promote new actions instead of always taking the most efficient option.

It's similar to some traversal algorithms for unexplored maps. If you always follow the most efficient option, then your result will be pretty predictable. Players don't always do the most efficient thing, so sometimes an AI shouldn't.

Exactly. They bought the game, they can do what they want with it.

thing is I cant figure out how to reposition myself. Its not a human its for now a square wich acts like a car. With tutorial I can do 2d from left/right up/down, but from a top down were I can go in any direction, google cant help me. Closest I've been I can still clip through sometimes.

my artist's artstyle, rather

this is what happens when I do programmer's art while I wait for the actual stuff

I want to make a 2d Zelda like game with a open world where you're not limited to a certain order. What would be a good engine to make something like this in?

Game Maker... Unity... SDL...
You can't go wrong with that, man.

How do I learn a programming language.. I have no idea where to start

How do you learn any language? protip: shitposting on Cred Forums all day isn't the answer.

>recent changes
+new skill for warriors, with quest
+changed wolves to be a new enemy type with their own skill
+online kinda sorta works
+you can play as a girl
+better support for party play online
>working on now
NETWORK BUGS
EVERYWHERE
SEND HELP

Read a book

Thanks

go to a university that teaches it.
Only way if you really want to go somewhere.

This is pretty bad advice, just learn it on your own then get certification. The most important thing you can do is make contacts.

CAR CAR CAR CAR
CDR CDR CDR CDR
CAR CDR CAR CDR
EVAL APPLY EVAL APPLY

WE CONJURE THE SPIRITS OF THE COMPUTER WITH OUR SPELLS

Thanks user!

I could describe my game in this post, but there's a copypasta on my devlog that sums it up pretty well.

mirroredsoulgame.tumblr.com/

I'll post it here in case you don't want to view the blog:

"The gameplay is like SMT in that you can get the monsters in your party, but rather than recruiting them in battle, they drop an item (their “soul”) upon defeat which, if you get, say, three, you can expend to have the monster join your party. You can also combine souls to create new monsters.
There are 2 worlds: the shady, urban hub city (the “real world”, if you will) and the myriad surreal, Yume Nikki-esque “mirror worlds” which you will enter. Obviously most monster encounters are in the mirror worlds, but there could be some troublemakers out there in the city as well…
I will be posting frequent updates on this blog, as well as posting some of the monsters you will be encountering. I may even give some developer insight. "

The copypasta is kinda outdated tho; for starters I'm thinking of having a negotiation system rather than a kill-enemy-get-item kind of thing.

Then why do many serious positions require a degree?
Sure, you can learn on your own, but a university can quickly point you at the things to pay attention to.
You get corrected if you do mistakes.
You have people to discuss things, in this case often the same tasks/problems.
They can teach you certain tricks or good code style.
And probably a lot more.
Also Universities encourage self-teaching.
For a good part you can see it as self-teaching with guidance and profesionally checked tests.

Claiming going to a university to learn programming is bad advice shows that you have no idea.

>He actually looks at job postings to look for programming jobs.
>Not just being friends with someone who works there and bypass the rat race completely.

This isn't the 90's-00's anymore, the best way to get a job in this market is nepotism. School is for chumps who fell for the STEM meme.

Sorry to make you argue. I am now reading a book on C#

>Not just being friends with someone who works there and bypass the rat race completely.

Yeah, look at what games some companies put out there and how bad the programming ist.
If you want to be part of the group that causes the next gaming crash, go ahead.

I prefer being a trained programmer who knows what he is doing and not just someone who reads and copies from shady google result pages without understanding stuff.

looks like pokemons. Lol. Just get a job at the nintendos
show them his and ur hired

>C#
Learn C++ or don't bother learning anything at all

The book said not to start with C++

good start.

Don't listen to

Okay thanks user

I don't think you understand, just how bad nepotism is in the AAA gaming industry. It doesn't matter how qualified you are if you don't know the right people you aren't going anywhere and if there's anything these people hate more is other people who pose a thread to their job by being better than they are.

Anyone got any book sugestions for learning vidya programing in javascript? I did the codeacademy course on javascript, but it's doesn't seem to have taught me how to actually code.

Adapting to drawing on a tablet, then I'll get back to making assets

who the fuck am I kidding

>if there's anything these people hate more is other people who pose a thread to their job by being better than they are.

>programmers decide to employ other programmers
Maybe in a small indie team.
But in a real business there's another person making the decision who gets employed and who not.
And if they can get a good one for a reasonable loan, he gets the job.
People don't get lose their job quickly, only if they really fuck up.

This might not be too bad an idea, actually.
I'll consider this.

University is irrelevant when it comes to actually learning programming. You'll be doing 99% of the learning at home, on your own time, anyway.
However, University is relevant if you want to get a job and actually work as a programmer, but seeing how you're currently at step: 0, that's still ways off.

The best thing you can do now is to decide what you actually want to make and go from there. If it's games and you're adamant about "learning a programming language" than go with C++, if you want to make games first and learn a programming language on the side then you can't go wrong with an IDE like Unity or Gamemaker. Those will teach you all the basic principles of programming.

nepotism in the AAA game industry is below that of nearly any other industry you could work in to be honest

Where can I learn to make SNES games? I want to make a game for the SNES that uses copious amounts of Mode 7 enough to satisfy my nostalgia.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fl8xbfYm9G4

Good luck learning assembly

it did, you just don't know how to apply your knowledge you learned

Unnecessary, you just need to know C.

youtube.com/watch?v=vv8Qs59d8vY

I'm about to fill it with ads then put it in the google play store.

Any tips on the best practices to do this?

Right, so are there any books that could help apply what I know already? That's really all I need the book suggestion for. I tend to follow tutorials just fine, but for some reason none make me really think about the things I put down.

I guess a tutorial that demands me to think about the logic I put down would work too.

I GOT GAME MAKER

I WANT TO MAKE SUPER GHOULS AND GHOSTS

HOW DO I START

What kind of game is it and what kind of ads are you thinking of putting in?

You generally want to put them so that the user doesn't accidentally press the during gameplay. Basically avoid putting them in places where lots of tapping happens.

MAKE A SQUARE THAT RUNS AND JUMPS

OKAY

WISH ME LUCK

It's a cute game for kids where you throw a cat around. I'm thinking of adding that "watch this video to get coins" thing and maybe putting an ad every 2 levels completed, since I've seen another game do it, would that be ok?

Just go look at construct 2 tutorials then. Most books I've seen are for other languages

you can just paste the arthur sprite over the square when you're done and no one will notice

I see nothing wrong with your ad ideas, so go ahead with them.

>vidya programing in javascript
Might as well kys.

Y-you too!

No, seriously.
Javascript is ass for anything but web development and even then it's iffy.
If you don't know anything but javascript you will be doing a lot of incredibly stupid shit which will bite you in the ass, and in the end it wouldn't even be a good learning experience because you'd keep doing stupid javascript fuckery.

Still pretty early in development but its coming along alright. Its pretty fun from what ive heard from my playtesters

Being a beginner to this stuff, I can't really tell what's fuck-y and what's not about javascript when compared to other languages.

Post webms plz

i can only post gifs because im autistic

wait fuck

i.gyazo.com/0afcf5740a693a0cfde622ec6397fee3.gif

Well, there's not much GRAPHICS so I guess gifs will do just fine

Scope, typing, objects, inheritance, interfaces everything else

What is this gaem ? I want to play it.

that looks awesome, user.

Thanks, I always put extra effort in my posts when thanking people and it's nice to see its paying off.

>boring.
engagement
>immersive
ditch the shitty pixels

>it's such a simple thing but it's tasty
>Tfw I'm the one who told him to put it in

A-am I a good idea guy?

>good
>idea
>guy
pick two

meme

I'm getting a HUGE Killer is Dead vibe from it, and that is my favorite game.

I would really love to play your game one day.

Never made a game before but I have confident knowledge in C++/Java and do freelance art on the side.

I'm interested in making an etrian odyssey style turn based game (you run around an overworld and encounter enemies similar to that of earthbound) but the battles take place in EO fashion. It's not 100% turned based however, more ATB, and the attacks will fly at your characters like a DDR mechanic (so you can actively defend parry etc).

I want to make the game in 2D for the most part, but I can deal with 3D, and possible aim to make special attacks that perform in 3D.

Looking through the engines Unity seems like the best tool to tackle this project but Gamemaker doesn't seem too terrible either.

If I were to begin where should I start? This is by no means my goal right now, but an endgame. For the moment I need familiarity but I need to settle on a good engine to tackle this.

If you're doing dungeon crawling in EO style you should probably go with Unity since movement is 3D. Just start with the official Unity tutorials

Its an rpg maker game and not so well now.

2D seems much harder to do.

Trying to make a cute spooky game for Halloween, but I have no ideas other than character designs and music.

Does Unity handle 2D well at all? (say like hyper light drifter). I mean I could just do full 3D (would be less complex at the end of the day) but I feel animation in an overhead overworld reads better in 2D.

The ideas hard to translate but it's more like fester's quest. You have the overworld you interact with and do events in, but for "dungeons" or areas that will contain a boss you'll be traveling in a dungeon crawling space.

Maybe I should just stick to one for simplicity sake.

if all else fails just make a platformer

Unity's 2D is okay, but if you have 3D movement at all you should just stick to Unity because getting Gamemaker to work in 3D is a pain in the ass

>>it's limited
>>it can't fulfill your artistic vision
>>it's actually harder to make than just draw it
>>It looks worse than just drawn stuff

Welp then Unity it is. Thank you.

Would Unity be the most suitable engine for this kind of background foreground interaction in a non-polygonal 2D platformer?
youtu.be/TftLNBCijuw?t=2m27s