So how is this game? I got it as a gift and was wondering if it was worth my time

So how is this game? I got it as a gift and was wondering if it was worth my time.

Isn't it basically just Harvest Moon but pixel indie graphics? And made by the same guys who did Starbound?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/?
nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/341/?
youtube.com/watch?v=O6jtHfsa5BE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's like Harvest Moon if they actually kept caring about the franchise instead of making them yearly cash-ins. The Starbound guys just published it, not made it, the whole thing is made by one dude.

I really liked what I played of it so far but I'm waiting for the update that adds co-op and more farm layouts to keep going

This, basically. It's no A Wonderful Life, but it's fun otherwise.

its pretty addictive for awhile.

I wouldn't call it "pixel indieshit", it looks about as detailed as the original HM on SNES did.

It DOES bother me that it has that fake pixel thing where pixels don't always line up correctly and rotate, but really most games do that these days it seems

It's really cozy and fun. But you'll hit a pretty big wall after the first year, feels like there's nothing new to do. And chances are you'll have all the upgrades by then so there won't be any point to go on.

>whole thing is made by one dude
That's pretty impressive.

One man could make such a good spread of waifus and husbandos.

Leah is the best though

Sometimes I feel like the writing doesn't really mesh. In general the spouse options are all a bit more deep and realistic than Harvest Moon's archetypes, but I feel like it kind of clashes against the whole HM style of "give one present and have one conversation per day" that Stardew lifted wholesale. It's hard to really get to know the characters to the extent they're written.

Is there any way to replay the little mini games you get with some characters? I wish there were recreational things you could do with your spouse.

SOOO GOOOOOD.

Fuck I lost 40 hours in a blink. Find mods, and improve the icons and character portraits.

it's pretty fun until the second year. I enjoyed the first 20 hours or so very much like in any good Harvest Moon type of game.

I think the menuing can be improved a bit but otherwise it's a good game to get.

Are there mods?

> game about farming
> spent solid 20 hours fishing instead

Comfy the game.

>it's pretty fun until the second year.

The 1.1 update should fix that or at least make it fun for a bit longer.

Will you need to start a new game then or will it carry saves over?

There is a lot of new stuf but it will carry over to your save.
But there are 4 new farm types to start with, fishing, mining, forest, and survival.

>mining farm

You have to start over to get one of the new farm layouts but everything else works with your old save

More like a couple of spots that spawn ores.
Like that place that you need to unlock just past the mine.

How would that even work? Can you get different farms later?
What would a dedicated fishing farm even be? Or mining or survival for that matter. Isn't that what the caves, river and woods are for?

What's the base farm already in the game?

When does 1.1 come out?

>How would that even work? Can you get different farms later?
You start out with one farm type, and you cant change it unless you start a new save.

>What would a dedicated fishing farm even be? Or mining or survival for that matter. Isn't that what the caves, river and woods are for?
Less farming space, more place to cut hard wood, or fish, or mine.

>What's the base farm already in the game?
The update isnt out yet, how could we know that?

I'm assuming the base farm will still be the default choice. And then the other ones make the different professions/ skills more viable as ways to earn your keep

The dev said two weeks ago that it would come out in a month.
But he is only one guy working on the game, it can take longer.

The idea is that if you want to make your money with fishing/mining you'll be able to do that without having to waste all your time walking around. Of course the trade off is you'll have less room for planting crops.

The survival farm supposedly has tons of space and resources but at the cost of monsters spawning.

Do trees respawn or like do you need to replant them and shit?

Should I just go around and clean all the rocks and bushes and trees and branches out of my farm yard when I first start?

When is the update coming out? The fact that you have to start from scratch to use some of the new features made me stop playing to avoid wasting too much time on a to-be-deleted save

>combat with no boss monsters
Come on son Rune Factory could do it you can too

This. It's great groundwork, I'm perfectly ok with the fact that it is shamelessly Harvest Moon. Wait for 1.1 though, it has flaws that they're going to patch some day not terribly far off.

Trees dont respawn, but if you have one tree, seeds will spawn around that tree and those seeds will grown to ful size trees and so on.
You can clean out everything, but its best to only clean up when you need the place, and keep some distance between your farm and the trees, etc.. because they can destroy it.

Dont waste energy on cutting trees unless you need the wood or space.

Mods add some replayability to it.
nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/?
There's also the "marry a loli" mod and possibly others that aren't on nexus, but I don't remember where to find them.
I mean, just look at this one. A Japanese guy made a mod that turns the farm animals into monster girls:
nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/341/?

>monsters
What's combat like in the game?

Isn't there some Japanese game thats like harvest moon but also with RPG shit and dungeons and what not? I think it was for the Nintendo DS like 10 years ago.

>a mod that turns the farm animals into monster girls

What the hell.

>That 85 Degrees Cup

Man. I remember when that opened up by my place everyone hyped it up like crazy. Just regular Taiwanese bakery. Can find way better, way cheaper at other bakeries.

At least it's better than Sheng Kee

>they can destroy it.
What like the brush and rocks and shit? Destroy how? Just like weed growth or whatever?

>turns the farm animals into monster girls
Sexcellent

Rune Factory, it started as a HM spinoff but it's its own series now. Its okay but I think it has daparted quite a bit from Harvest Moon, it tries to do too many RPG things at once and feels kind of shallow in all of them.

Stardew has simple Zelda-like sword combat, but monsters only appear in the mine and you can just avoid it if you're not into fighting.

sticks and rocks can spawn next to trees.

If a tree is close too farmground it can spawn on that and destroy everything on that tile.

Do you ever get to do anything with the tiny cave on your farm? Like upgrade it or build something? Can you place stuff in it? I might make it a root cellar.

I think mushrooms? can't remember

you can turn it on to a mushroom farm or a bat cave.

Pick mushrooms, the bat thing doesnt turn out much money.

Not made by the same people who made Starbound, it's just one guy, he is just a member of the group.

As far as I know it's just a tiny room where either fruit or mushrooms spawn depending on whether or not you choose to let the research guy put bats or mushroom spores in there

>One man could make such a good spread of waifus and husbandos.

Jokes on you, I modded it. It's all waifus now.

>A Wonderful Life
what good taste you have

>Leah is the best though
But of course.

Did you make the town with an improbable amount of red heads even more saturated with gingers?

>tfw carpenter lady is already married

Naw, I just turned all of the bachelors into bachelorettes.

DO THE COWGIRLS HAVE A GOOD MILKING ANIMATION

Sorry, I have no idea. I'm waiting for the update be fore I play the game.

How can I find a girl like Leah, Cred Forums?

if you can get into these kind of games, it will get you addicted for a while.

naah, Penny > Leah

yes, look on Nexus

Emily soon.

>green eyed trailer trash
>better than pure blue eyed, outdoorsy, sculptor

If anything, you are in for a good soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=O6jtHfsa5BE

Great album.