If I wanted story, I'd read a book

>if I wanted story, I'd read a book

Why do you have such a hateboner for story in games, Cred Forums?

I don't.
I love games for different reasons.

Saying gameplay is the most important in games is like saying movie watching is the most important in movies.

Because 99.9% of the time "story" games have shit stories. Legacy of Kain series is literally the only time I ever played a game for the story.

because often gameplay and satisfying challenge and mechanics are sacrificed for narratives

video games are new and there is so fucking much you can do with gameplay, so many variations and differences that results in games that feel completely different and present totally new challenges

most stories however, have been told in one way or another by now

Story-haters make no sense.

Have you never had a desire for context? To understand and invest in the journey you're being asked to take?

false equivalence, movies arent interactive in the same way games are ya dummy

>say this
>then get annoyed when the plot of a game is hurting your experience

Can't have it both ways.

ive never been as interested in that as a satisfying ball bustingly hard game that makes my heart pound during a boss fight

if a game can give me both thats incredible but video games have budgets and time constraints and often you have to choose which is going to get the special treatment, the story or the gameplay

Because most devs have no idea how to convey story in a game

You do it with gameplay and backgrounds and detail, not text dumps

>if I wanted story, I'd read a book
Fuck off cunt, get your cancerous stories out of my books. Books are for exploring the purity of text, storyfags are fucking RUINING my books!

So then you'll be really limited in the kinds of stories you can tell

No you wont. You are less limited than ever actually.

Video game stories are pretty shitty most of the time.

No, i am correct in this

Because all games that pretend to have a deep and engaging storyline are shallow bait
>Looking at you, The worst among us and Biocock Pissfinite

You are, if you're trying to tell it entirely through environmental detail and "gameplay"

Cred Forums is not a hivemind, fag
people who dont want story in games just want arcade-style games

Doom didn't really have a story.

Still best game ever

Checkmate storyfags

Sacrificing gameplay for story and plot is what's ruining games. If i wanted a focus on story, I'd read a book

Wouldn't it be saying that cinematography is as important to movies? That's a better comparison you nunce.

>Doom didn't really have a story.
It did

Textbook btfo

You mean the little wall of text at the end of certain levels that you could skip

yeah...no one gave a shit about that.

because children are proven to have very short attention spans.

>reading books for the story
Cancer

I hate stories in games
I hate bad or mediocre stories in games that try too hard to make me give a shit about them and and then loads of casuals praising the game for the "amazing" story they experienced

forgot to put "don't" in the first sentence

So what are some video games with good stories?

Games didn't get popular from this, Mario was just a guy rescuing a princess, what more story do you need? You have a goal which makes sense you have fun accomplishing it, all done.

I read books and I still want good stories in my vidya

Look at me, I'm a such entitled piece of shit

It's not that, it's just that most games that have a story usually sacrifice gameplay, music, artstyle or a combination to get the good story out.

There are very very few games with both a great story and great gameplay. It's just another way of saying "I prefer to have my gameplay in tact"

I can't trust your opinion anymore.

Books are really very different from video games.

Film would be a better comparison since they also btfo vidya in terms of directing/writing.

Deus Ex