According to CNN in 2003...

>According to CNN in 2003, “Nintendo’s chief gaming architect Shigeru Miyamoto agreed with criticism that the Mario game [Mario Sunshine] was too hard. And, in a decision that might anger the hardcore crowd, the word has since come from up high to make games less challenging.”

Did you think Mario Sunshine was too hard?

dromble.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/nintendos-frustrations-with-3d-mario/

No, and it was clearly made for kids.

I don't remember having any issues with it when I was 14, aside from not being able to find all the blue coins.

Some things weren't really hard as opposed to just plain bullshit.
The Delfino pachinko machine and that one watermelon bullshit comes to mind.

sand bird

The hotel doors were bullshit

>Mario now
googoo gaagaa
>Mario then
BUT FIRST

What happened?

>implying CNN gives out factual information

>watermelon
>the fucking boat

Only if you went for 100%

You can make it challenging and casual at the same time.

Mario 64 was a good mix, many of the later levels got stupid, most of the game was about figuring out how to get to the star and exploring the zone, if you're good at the game you can do some crazy shit though.

Sunshine was casualized in terms of its platforming and level design (except the secret stages which were bullshit, like the chuckster stages) but they also had way more enemies who had more mechanics then just "jump on them"

yeah it was pretty hard but damn it was satisfying when you finally overcame the obstacles

>blah blah nintendo is for kids!
Bullshit. Fuck off back to your nogames machine

Mario Sunshine was 'hard enough'. It was just the right amount so that everyone felt satisfied when playing it.

YOU DAMN WELL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

>Did you think Mario Sunshine was too hard?
It had it's moments. But if done correctly, a hard game directed to children will entertain them for literal years.
Think of all those games in your childhood you kept on playing because you always struggled to beat it.

>trusting CNN

But nintendo games were always for kids

However kids are generally good at figuring things out and accepting challenges and overcoming them, yet we still think its a good idea to make everything play itself and call it a 'kids game' and then kids gravitate to more 'adult' games because, despite how shit COD and its clones are, it still is a game about Kill vs Death ratios

I am glad people are reposting that rage inducing link

Yes, but with game development being streamlined and we're in the second era of game shelf bloat, developers want people to beat games quicker and look for a new game faster then before where they were more focused on making a game that lasts as parents wanted the kids to sit down and shut up.

The only levels I had really any difficulty was the fluddless levels.

At the time the only thing I found hard was the giant manta ray

The difficulty with the game was when you had to fight the physics engine rather than the challenges and obstacles that were set in place

Isn't the article saying the opposite?
That Shiggy ended up making the game too easy because of the higher ups? Not that the game came out too hard.

some parts were difficult but it wasnt a fun type of difficult it was like an annoying type of difficult

>galaxy fans are responsible for ruining mario

Why, each 3d mario game is about righting something

64 was fighting the camera
Sunshine was fighting the derpy physics
Galaxy was fighting the waggles.

I preferred fighting the camera. Wasn't too bad desu

They were pretty straight-forward in 2003. Now, CNN is fucking awful and they push bullshit onto their viewers.

I agree

the phrase is "artificial difficulty"

I don't think difficulty alone is the problem, the game is ANNOYING.

There's this shine on a course, on an island in delphino that requires the yoshi to spray shit on top of the pipe. The problem is that yoshi can't swim in SMS, so you need to take a slow ass boat, wait until you get there, just to fucking play the goddamn level, which was difficult.

You might have to wait 5 minutes just to try a fucking level, because the boat is slow, for fucks sake. There's no excuse for such obtuse bullshit. It's not a single thing either, there are plenty of ways you just have to wait for something or whatever in Sunshine.

oh shit
this
never found the blue coins so in the end I didn't 100% complete it because of that, but the game was never too difficult
I beat it when I was 10, but I admit that there were some levels that were frustrating

pachinko machine
cleaning the beach
killing that manta ray
sand bird
chuckster secret level
goopy inferno
the red coins in the pipe on that island you need Yoshi for

and maybe some others that I can't remember now, but they weren't impossible even as a kid
and they felt amazing to finish

I just put the camera in a place I knew it wouldn't affect me and continued to play. 64 camera controls were old, but somewhat nice to go back to, since there isn't action going on at all times like today

It was only hard because the controls were awful.

Well the next 3D mario game ended up being the best 3D Mario at the time and the one after that was even better so I guess they were on to something

>Sunshine was fighting the derpy physics
kek, I forgot about this
why was it that sometimes you would use the hover nozzle and you'd still fall downwards in spite of that?

Corona Mountain made me ragequit when I played in middle school. Didn't beat the game until my junior year of college.

Yes, the game was hard. No, that's not a bad thing.

some of the optional things were, the last boss though I was waiting for a phase 2 until the credits started rolling

sand bird was not hard?

>No, that's not a bad thing.

Enough people thought it was that they complained to Miyamoto, so what can you say?

The hardest thing about that game were the bonus Mario levels and collecting all the blue coins. But I found the game to be a fair difficulty. Wasn't too hard, wasn't too easy. It was just right.