Why do modern games suck?

Why do modern games suck?

because you only play the shitty ones and ignore the good ones. then you bitch about it

90% of NES games sucked, it was just a handful of brilliant games (for the time) that stood out, and of course you're gonna remember those 'cause those are the ones you played.

I'll give it to you that 8th gen has been pretty a pretty lackluster edition, but we've still gotten some good shit.

Also note how many games are remaster and compilations. Devs aren't willing to make new games that much, even in existing IPs. Maybe they'll notice that their shitty graphics meme and remaster meme will ultimately run out of steam and they will switch to what we had in 7th gen and before.

Still though... 8th isn't even two years long, so it isn't like modern gaming has sucked for a long time.

I just miss playing tekken 3 with my dad and him kicking my ass on Paul. I also miss spyro 2. Good thing I still play them through an emulator.

Just any Grand Strategy game is better than 70% of games in NES and SNES.

Because cutscenes are a thing.

we're almost four years into the 8th gen

PC gaymes were better than NES games.

This.

And this isn't a recent thing, user. For every awesome game released there must be dozens of average ones and hundreds of god awful ones, and that counts for every single era in videogaming, except maybe missile command and pong because come on.

Jeez, I dunno, with Greenlight, Early Access, pre-order hype culture, DLC cut out of the base game, microtransactions, Kickstarter, spiritual successors, invasion of SJWs, aggressive DRM, games as service where you don't even own the fucking things you buy, it goes on and on.
Gaming became the shittiest, greediest, most cancerous industry. Why? Because normies allowed it to happen and still allow it (see Ark DLC and NMS which sold like 2 million copies). It's only gonna get worse, if you can imagine that

Also same user, but is it weird if I genuinely enjoy ps1 games more than all the titles on modern consoles? I mean, currently I only play pc and enjoy some things here and there but NOTHING comes close to old school psx.

Fun thing to do when you're bored and don't know what to play, download one of those big ass NES rom packs and just cherrypick random titles you've never heard of to play for a bit. See how long it takes you to find something that's actually fucking playable, I'll wait.

>so it isn't like modern gaming has sucked for a long time.
Its been a decade since gaming started to suck.

It's so bad

Half of that shit you mentioned isn't even inherently bad. Kickstarter and shit gave us shovel knight, pillars of eternity, elite dangerous etc and will eventually give us shenmue 3 and yooka laylee.

> aggressive DRM

If you think denuvo is aggressive you're more underage than I thought, how the fuck is it aggressive compared to shit like securom and starforce that would literally break shit?

>games as service where you don't even own the fucking things you buy

That has improved gaming. Everything is so much cheaper now, you can get 40 hour games for a dollar, digital distribution is much more convenient, some services like ps plus, uplay and origin throw out free full games like candy. What difference has "owning" a game made to you?

> invasion of SJWs

Go somewhere that isn't Cred Forums for a while

I can't even be bothered to address the rest of your horseshit.

This guys was always funny for me because Sutek means "nipple" in Polish.

Wtf man, XB1 was released almost three years ago... time flies.

Well then, it's been three years unless you consider the Wii U the point where it started.

Precisely my point. Almost no one knew how to make a game back then, and thus most games sucked. We got a handful of classics whereas the rest of the library is simply forgotten.

>Its been a decade since gaming started to suck.

>le 7th was bad meme

7th gen had a tonfuck of good games, and while it presented many of the problems gaming has today it didn't have the dominance nor scope that it had back then.

7th gen still had new IPs, both Gears of War and Assassin's Creed were born in 7th gen. How many IPs has 8th gen spawned?

7th gen wasn't bad by any measure you might want to put.

>Gears of War and Assassin's Creed
I agree, 7th gen was shit.

>90% of NES games sucked

God I love Cred Forumseddit memes

Undertale, which is better than every 7t gen franchise.

I really need to experience shenmue. Never played it. Also, I never finished Pillars! The writing was great but man I really have to be in a special mood to sit through D&D rpgs.

He's right. /vr/eddit is just full of nintenchildren that grew up on NES and SNES

Fuck those shotgun mutants and their cheap unavoidable bullshit.

ree

Is it Timesplitters 2?

>Yes
Videogames don't suck

>No
Videogames suck

Pillars is not DnD and it's a bit shit. It's not all shit, but shitty parts are bad.

this

the amount of polish and just general competency modern games have on average is absurd compared to older games Hell, half the fucking time the console wouldn't even read the game cart.

The only arguable thing is that modern AAA games have less innovation and variety. But as far as quality, content, polish, etc, it;s fucking stupid ti imply modern games are worse

I don't know. With all the shitty buggy releases it's doubtful. At least console games of PS 1-2 era would always at least work as intended.

>half the fucking time the console wouldn't even read the game cart.
That's poor hardware design.

they don't.

you just have nostalgia goggles on.

Really? I mean, I knew it was close to Baldur's gate but the combat was different and all. Idk if I'll ever come back to it.

AAA games most certainly suck and most indie titles are garbage, sounds like modern games suck to me.

I disagree. The super buggy PC ports we get now are like the AVERAGE for how bad games got lack of quality control wise back in the day.

I'm not even that old of a video game player. My first console was an N64, though I did play some older consoles at friends and famlies's houses

but even on the n64 I remember most games being buggy and finicky as shit; and that's not even getting into shovelware, which is virtually nonexistant now

>But as far as quality, content, polish, etc, it;s fucking stupid ti imply modern games are worse
Are you genuinely retarded? Let's look at a few of the releases from this gen
>Destiny
>MGSV
>No Man's Sky
These days you can pretty much guarantee that a game will either be broken or lack content, if not both.

There are over 700 NES games (or 900 if you count unlicensed games), if you can justify playing over a quarter of them you must have some ungdodly amount of knowledge of the industry, or you are blinded by nostalgia.

Go ahead and name or give me a list of 70 worthwhile NES games, that would be all you need to discredit my "Cred Forumseddit meme".

Better yet, bump it to a quarter and make that 170ish games. I won't actually play them because I'm not into retro gaming, but if we're only measuring by the amount of games that were good compared to the bad ones, NES games had more bad games than good ones.

ACI and Ezio trilogy were good games. Not ground-breaking or revolutionary by any means, but they were fun and served their place. Revelations also had god-tier multiplayer.

GoW1 campaign was fucking great, and GoW2 and 3 had great multiplayers, 3 especially more so. GoW1 was released before cover was a meme and GoW3 still was an enjoyable experience despite of that.

If he was following my post, I cut the line at 8th gen. Some people seem to discredit 7th and 6th gens for some reason.

If he didn't, he may be exaggerating, but there are still good games in this gen, just that there are fewer and far between.

There are also a ton of worthwhile indie games as far as I'm aware. I had a good time with Dust, Door Kickers and This War of Mine.

Shovelware very much still exists, it's mostly on Steam now, but not only. Remember all these shitty German simulators? Most of them weren't around during PS2 era.
As for buggy games I don't think anything was as buggy as recent Ubisoft releases, and most games didn't have troubles keeping constant framerate.

what's the source for the image.
I know it's system shock 2 but it looks like it's from a video like "if doom was made today" or something

MGSV was flawless at launch. You could argue missing content, but show me a single 70 hour SNES game. No man's sky was buggy, but compared to some games in the 80s and 90s which were missing levels or impossible to finish it's not really that bad.

At least use the non-shit boxart senpai

>show me a single 70 hour SNES game

Tetris & Dr. Mario

No, a lot of stuff that I mentioned isn't inherently bad, just abused 99% of the time, to make use of stupid idiots who don't mind wasting money on bullshit

I'd like to actually own the games I buy and not just the licences. It's for future proofing, if those services go down, they might just not give a fuck and not let you keep anything. This goes along with DRM, I don't want to trust any companies to play nice and give you what you want, especially when it's not in the EULA, and just depends on their goodwill

And yes, no matter how sick you are of hearing about SJWs, it's absolutely true and games are made to satisfy them and not provoke them in the slightest, there's hundreds of examples.

>but show me a single 70 hour SNES game.

Are you for real ?

Because 'Game Developers' crawled up their own arse and now think that they are 'Interactive Movie Developers'

Because modern games have a split personality disorder; there is the 'gameplay' which is just a placebo to make you feel like you're involved, while walking to the next 'cinematic' which will highjack your character and do a load of shit you would never do whilst using a different set of rules, eg, in game you can take 60 ak47 shots and 2 grenades and survive whereas, in the cinematic, the weakest mook can easily sneak up on you and render you unconscious with light tap to the head.

Remember when cut-scenes were just there at the start of a mission to briefly tell you what to do?

For a text-book example of everything that is wrong with modern gaming, check out Max Payne 3.

Sorry we haven't had time to finish the early access you paid for but here's some DLC that we somehow found time to create and sell to you.

Gears of War was a fucking great game. Just because it had a bunch of poor imitators and it's trendy to make fun of dudebros, that doesn't sour the source.

It's an excellent action game.