So what was wrong with it?

So what was wrong with it?
And you can't say BUT YOU CAN'T DIE because that's a stupid argument.

Under a different game, it would've made for a good Team Ico game.

dlc ending

No difficulty progression. All four areas were balanced roughly the same, which was too easy.

Just the ending as a whole pissed me right the fuck off. Hell, you could have ended the game at the normal ending and it wouldn't have annoyed me as much as that DLC ending did. And they're never going to follow it up (and no the DS game doesn't count).
I think it was because you could visit them in any order. Personally I have to agree somewhat in that allowing the player to visit every part of the game in any order is a bad idea as most developers try and balance the game around it by making it all very accessible.

It was dumb since a couple areas were clearly themed in a "This place is fucked up and dark" that could have served as a visual warning for "Maybe do this later".

Being a fan of this game is suffering
>Good game in its own right
>Fun platforming
>Actually good writing for a video game with a dedicated banter button
>Great voice work and characters
>Everyone hated it because it wasn't a sequel to the Sands of Time trilogy and the "NO Deaths" thing which was more aesthetic than anything else
>Jewbisoft ended it on a cliffhanger, made a DLC ending which ended on an even BIGGER cliffhanger and realised everyone hated it and just dumped the IP altogether
>Eight fucking years later nothing

They really should have called it anything else OTHER than Prince of Persia. At least give us SOME form of closure.

Pretty much. It's all round a sad tale about something beautiful.

I think the writer even won a fucking BAFTA for it. They did a great job of making the characters compelling.

After having this game in my steam library for 6 years, I finally finished it a few months ago.

I miss these prince of persia 3d platformers.

Whoops nah it was a Writer's Guild of Britain award.
Still it was good in that regard.

The ending was a bit of a let down but the rest of the game was fantastic. The banter between the Prince and Elika was just phenomenal. I really, really enjoyed this game, was a surprise to see everyone seem to pan it.

If nothing else it was great to see a more lighthearted PoP after the dredge that was WW and TTT.

So yeah, solid game, shame about the crappy ending.

The worst thing about people complaining about the NO DEATHS is that it even became a really compelling story mechanic. The moment when you realise to beat the boss (Succbus?) you have to throw yourself off the tower and just trust that she'll save you... That's compelling as hell.

But the ending is just 'bad' because it conflicts with our preconceptions of establishing closure. In a way it just adds to the beauty of the game to have such a dire cliffhanger because you feel your emotional attachment and yearning more keenly.

Don't get me wrong I'd like some traditional closure but I've come to believe the Ubisoft that made this game is in the past, and I'd rather leave it that way than have such an amazing experience ruined down the line. Like Mirror's Edge and DICE/EA.

This, it really is underrated.

My big problem is the combat. I don't know what they were thinking with that.

Why did people hate the LOL NO DEATHS shit?
It was just a way to skip the continue screen.

Its a great game.

The original ending (never played the DLC)
had one of best twists ever, but became worst ever by never being followed up on.

game was just fun,

But then all the UBI POP games were.

god i miss this series

I think it works rather well and was actually quite cleverly implemented. Her rescues essentially just placed you on the last piece of solid ground or during a boss at the last health checkpoint, which is really what a lot of games do anyway when you die in them for whatever reason. Having her save you and having it as a justification to have the deaths (or lack thereof) is actually pretty clever.

I fucking love the combat, what's wrong with it?

that sounds amazing

this

most people didnt like the entire game were 4 bosses broken into 3 parts

I personally don't think there was anything wrong with it but it probably didn't really need to be there.

dlc ending

I liked the idea that every enemy was in a way a boss, that made you feel vulnerable.
That would have been great if the "no death lol" was scraped.

The combat system itself was really fun, making succesfull combos was rewarding as fuck.

Rubbish combat
Light seed collecting was a bit annoying
Limp story progression

I fucking loved this game, it was christmas 2008 and my parents got me a PS3 and I was so fucking hyped, got 3 games, Little Big 1, some other game, and PRINCE OF FUCKING PERSIA AND IT WAS SO FUCKING GUUD.

I don't know if it's nostalgia, I've replayed it since, but I genuinely think it's a 9/10 game.
Banter between Prince and Elika was great and the environments were beautiful and still totally hold up, get it cheap on steam, crank the res up and it's pure eye candy.

When you're a kid you have no concept of companies just dropping things so I waited patiently for years waiting for a sequel before I realised dad wasn't coming home ;_;

How crushed were you when after this game came out and was excellent, the next POP game was Forgotten Sands...it's like a bullet to the brain.

Fuck I forgot to mention that. Forgotten Sands was so painfully average.

I thought it was clever too. Rather than carrying over the sands of time thing and just copying that, or respawning you at the ledge/checkpoint with no explanation, you got saved and in combat it set you back a bit.

I thought it worked really well, the you can't die crowd never seemed to realize that each time you fall and she saves you is effectively a death in any other game. It just cut out all the lame you died splash, reload from the check point or climb back up and try the jump again.

It was just a movie tie in cash grab. I got it pretty soon after launch for 9$ and even that was too much.

Shame to think 2008 Prince will never come again. Next tabletop I play I going to use a claw gauntlet.

The ending, that's mostly it. I still replay it every now and then if I want a chill time.

Thanks for saving me user. I was actually going to play the game, but I think my life has enough shit that ended on cliffhangers that will never be completed that I don't want to add more.

It just removes any semblance of difficulty or tension from the platforming because your mistakes do not matter at all yeah

I'd still play it bro. The cliffhangers hurt, but the game itself it actually really worth it.

Played it for the first time last month. Not the Prince of Persia I wanted, but definitely can see why it averaged a 7/10.
Yeah, the no dying is pretty lame. The combat is boring 1v1 fights. As far as I know, you didn't get any new combat moves. Controls were annoying for me, personally. Felt like lag input. I really disliked the backtracking. The environment only looked good after you cleansed the area, but by then, you're annoyed you have to backrack, and can't enjoy it as much. The 2 main characters were fine for me, though. Also, yeah, didn't know you had to buy the dlc to get the true ending. Fuck that.

Such a good game. Easily my favorite PoP and I was already a big fan of the series. I actually snubbed this one for a long time because "can't die" but when I finally played it I fell in love.

The music, the writing, the gorgeous cel shaded environments and characters were some of the best shit I had seen in years. Such great vibes collecting those blips of light. The controls were fluid and responsive and there was something incredibly satisfying and almost mesmerising about the platforming. It wasn't challenging at all but it was so much fucking fun collecting those light seeds.

The writing and voice acting are both wonderful too and that's something I would only say about a handful of games. In terms of pure magic it's right up there with the original.

I disagree. I don't need a game over screen to add tension.

>throw everything away just to see her live again
Based hobo prince