Sequel was shit, but damn this game was probably one of the few great western horrors. The monster designs were awesome

Sequel was shit, but damn this game was probably one of the few great western horrors. The monster designs were awesome.

>metallic clinking intensifies

It's a shame that a thread as deserving as this one will die shortly because no one played this gem.

Fucking Dr. Killjoy man him and the gas fuck.

literally what is this game?

Pretty sure it had a good following back in the day, it did make enough for the sequel, however terrible that was.

Think the prison section from Silent Hill 2 stretched out into a full game, and the monsters are all manifestations of murders and executions that took place within the complex.

What if silent hill was a prison and was a third person shooter

It's in the title of OP's pic u fucking moron

True the sequel was quite shite and really unnecessary..as are most sequels.

Badass game, enemies based off of capital punishment on Shutter Island. Nuff said. The sequel was alright, but not as good as the original.

Dem Mainliners tho. They would spook the shit outta me.

I wouldn't say unnecessary, just that it shouldn't have been about Torque again since his story was complete enough.

The "prequel chapter" you unlock after beating the game was a nice touch.

I wish there was more, but the game was great. Sequel was pretty unnecessary but overall mediocre.

Also that poor bastard guard that just wanted his momma that you can't save.

I still wonder how much of the game was in the protag's head and how much was real. Was there a definite answer to this?

While the first game kept it ambiguous about the monsters being real or not, they did pretty much confirm Torque was just going apeshit instead of turning into a monster.

Sequel pretty much decided he did, but didn't bother to have the characters notice so it was really awkward.

Just remembered how your actions of killing inmates/random people changed the outcome of the ending and revealed a quick good/bad flashback.

I recently downloaded the game on PC, even found a nice widescreen modification, but for some damn reason, the game keeps opening on the second monitor screen, even though I don't have a monitor set up there. And when I tried disabling the second monitor option, it just letterboxed my main one for some retarded reason.

Biggest problems with the sequel (aside from the laundry list of glitches) were the fact that the story just retold the family's murder with little added details, retconned the surprise villain from the good ending into an evil imaginary friend, and made the monsters legit real instead of maintaining the idea that they could have just been hallucinations and everybody in the area was just going bananas.

Best weapon coming trough

Post yfw you transform for the first time

>finding the limbless CO in the asylum, gargling and clearly begging for SOMEONE to end his misery

Haven't played the sequel, how bad was it?

It was awful you could no longer collect med kits you could only wield two weapons at a time it had plotholes everywhere and the final boss was fucking bullshit

I remember going to my friend's house and watching his older brother playing this.

Did this shit have a good and bad decision mechanic or am i thinking of some other game?

Here's a bullet point list of things wrong

*Glitches, glitches out the ass (namely involving the save detection function that would start a game based on whichever ending you had from the first, causing you to start on evil, neutral, or good even when the latest save was the opposite).
*Others saw the game outright crashing in the middle of a fight, often undoing a checkpoint or even making you have to restart the entire game.
*Torque is given a voice, albeit for only one scene.
*Many of the enemies are recycled from the first, namely the Slayers and Mainliners, while others are swapped with similar enemies (Marksmen are replaced with Spidery looking creatures that serve the same premise).
*The two new antagonist ghosts are both evil, and while interesting in their backstories, don't offer the same complicated morality of Doctor Killjoy and Horace.
*Main villain Blackmore is literally Torque's imaginary friend, and his motivations range from either the clichéd "I want to be in charge of the body, full time." to "I was just looking out for you, I didn't mean for your family to get killed, dude."

It had it, but it was interesting in that they offered enough good/bad choices that you could kill a few guys, then save others and still get the good ending, or go evenhanded and get the neutral one.

And while the sequel had a cool idea to use your game saves from the original to determine your starting morality, it was fucked six ways from Sunday and barely worked half of the time.

Only thing I was curious about from the sequel was what ties Killjoy seemingly had with Torque's mom.

That isn't the Gonzo gun.

Never played this, but I was in need of good titles for the PS2 and you just helped me out. Today OP was not a faggot.

The Slayer AI is devious. It acts dumb at first, but if you somehow let it live for too long it starts acting smart.

I remember forcing myself to play this as a kid because I was afraid of scary games. I did beat it, but that was a mistake.

Honestly, I was kind of spoiled on that since they talked about it constantly in the magazine previews, and showed it off a lot in the few trailers made before release.

Still pretty freaky, though.

Never seemed that smart to me. With that said though, it was crazy how blowing their fucking head off wasn't enough to fully dispatch them.

>Never seemed that smart to me
When I meant you have to let them live long enough, I mean it. And I doubt anyone let them live for more than 3 minutes anyway. Their AI shines the brightest when they're in enclosed spaces

How so?

Killing floor always reminded me of this game. The Suffering and Manhunt were the shit back on ps2

They bounce everywhere when you use guns, do this spinny tornado thing away from you when you get close with a melee weapon, then immediately charge at you when you're not looking at them/too slow to face them quickly

But they underestimate you when you charge them with a shiv, but quickly correct themselves when you kill one with it. In the open, they just charge and zerg rush you.

Would be awesome if they could let players vote for what PS2 get PS4 ports. I'd love to see things like this, Suffering, and Steambot Chronicles get a spit-shine job and be playable on the modern systems.

Doesn't sound that different from what they normally would do, just a bit more faster.

I thought it was really cool how this game let you play it as either a TPS or FPS as the touch of a button, and it played well either way. They also did a great job with the hallucinations.

>those flashes of inkblots as you start to approach the asylum

Yeah, they pick up the pace alright. There's more, but I can only remember what the Captain does. And even then, not much. He does this thing with his oversized blade when you rain bullet hell on him..fuck I can't remember.

It pretty much proved you could make a horror game in the west that was on par with the Resident Evil and Silent Hill games.

Then Dead Space came along and took a shit on all of that.

I WAS FUCKIN PUMPED.

I love games where you're scarier than anything else you encounter in the game, and the protag of the suffering certainly was something else.

Even better if you get the good ending and find out the transformation is all in his head and he's just hulking out IRL, meaning he's tearing hellspawn apart with his bare hands

What are you talking about? Dead Space 1 was gold, and Dead Space 2 was, while arguably worse, still quite good.

I think you missed the biggest disapointment of all.

- Enemies on the first game: Well thought manifestations of death penalties and other kinds of punishment.

- Enemies on the second game; Urban legends lol.

They overdid it with the jumpscare stuff. A few here and there are fine, but nearly single moment was "STRIKING CHORD AND A MONSTER".

That was really good. I like how Killjoy has an explanation for your transformation depending on your morality. Pumped up hulk out when good, batshit insane when neutral.

>tfw in the one ending where you stand on the boat transformed, getting off the island, to fuck shit up

I'm not sure if The Suffering is a good counterpoint to the "jump scares are awful when they're common" argument, considering how you get one that's LITERALLY just a picture of a monster and a scare chord every few minutes in most non-combat areas.

Some of them being urban legends wasn't a bad idea, the gorger was a cool concept for cannibalism. The problem was that many of them wound up being retreads of the originals with new looks and names, but all going from the idea of "they're the VICTIMS of these kinds of deaths", whereas the first game had it that some monsters were the victims of executions, while others were meant to be the punished souls of the executioners (such as the Festers who were really the slave traders that bailed ship).

>That secret prologue chapter where you hulk the fuck out and butcher some prisoners who were bullying you before you even enter the prison, while your dead wife and the big bad show up and taunt you right beforehand

Most of those didn't always have a scare chord, though (of course, the game had its share of audio cutouts, so that might have been the reason in a few cases). Not only that, you had a lot more fakeouts where you think a monster might be lurking around, but it was just some scary noises and other ambient stuff. Dead Space just kept throwing monsters that pop out of every vent, even when they led nowhere because they were apparently from the same school of closeted monsters as the Doom 3 demons.

That's the full blown bad ending, where the narration makes it seem Torque really killed his entire family.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't your actions in that change the intro dialogue a little, too?

In the bad ending, he does. That was the nice thing about the morality, was how it changed the death of the family in different ways.

>Good, turns out it was all a set up and Torque didn't do nothin' wrong.
>Neutral, Torque accidentally his wife, while his oldest son flipped his shit and offed his kid bro and himself.
>Evil, Torque is a straight up fucked in the head monster.

Then the sequel goes, "lol no, it was Torque imaginary friend who done did it all!"

I distinctly remember them having a scare chord. Most of the time, it was just an ambient "Oooorrr" sound with the volume cranked way up, but sometimes it was an echoey scream. You can see it most commonly in the showers just before that big fight with all the Mainliners.

Your point against Necromorphs bursting out of nowhere is pretty shaky, considering how many monsters--Slayers and Marksmen especially-- spawn in by bursting through the ground in front of you. At the very least, the Necromorph vents are clearly signposted, giving you a bit of dread when you see one, and setting things up for some pretty good tension when an enemy DOESN'T bust out of it.

Dead Space has loads upon loads of fakeouts, like the leadup to the first encounter with the Leaper 'morphs, or most encounters with Dividers and Infectors.

I totally get that you like The Suffering. I totally get that you hate Dead Space. Opinions are alright to have. What I don't get is why you hate Dead Space for doing things that The Suffering ALSO does. It's not even a case of which game does it more.

Still, it was something varied like a soft sound or a loud one. Dead Space just had striking noise as the monster appeared and charged you until it was torn up and dead.

The monsters in Suffering made sense to pop out of the ground as the story implies that the island itself is generating them, and the fact that any of them could appear did mean you had to be weary about what was coming instead of assuming it was just the burrowers.

Point is, Suffering had sense of subtlety to it whereas DS barely calmed down in most cases.

>What's that, user? Going to turn the corner in this narrowly built, dimly lit set of halls? Not if my spinning dive attack has anything to say about that!

Did Cred Forums prefer to play in first person or third person view?

Never did beat this game since the PC port is so bad

It runs alright if you make the right adjustments. There's even a widescreen version you can download now.

Man, I fucking loved this game. Wish it would get ported to PS4.

Since I'm wishing, I also wish that the DDS port gets fixed =/

The cover art always creeped me out when I was younger

the suffering was fucking amazing
10/10 designs

Looks good. So it's better than dead space?

>That fucking shower area with all those mainliners

I hated that part and just barely made it out alive, fuck those damn assholes.

When I got the cd, I would just stare at the mainliner on it for a few minutes, then put it down. I would always wonder how the fuck it lives or sees.

As an action-horror, yes. There are similarities, but Suffering overall is more about just blasting up the monsters with an array of weapons compared to Dead Space which was more about the strategic dismemberment of monsters. It definitely hasn't aged that well graphically, though the design of the monsters and sound hold up pretty well after 12 years.

I played these games very recently, I would say the second game is better because the combat is better / more satisfying.

But they restricted the number of weapons you could wield at a time, not to mention forced you to use the monster form for super variants of monsters which made no sense, and the game was far more buggier than the original ever was with game crashing/save destroying glitches.

Did you know you could turn off the showerheads so they couldn't keep spawning?

I remember seeing commercials for this game on TV all the time. But never actually played it.

If you have one of the consoles it was made for and can find a used copy, go for it. Or just download the PC version.

I have an OG Xbox (with component cables). I assume that's the best way to play it?

Far as I recall there wasn't much difference with the game on either PS2 or Xbox beyond maybe some graphical clarity. But yea, if you've got that and would rather enjoy it on console, by all means.

>that one guard in the asylum just chilling out and smoking opium or whatever

Guy seemed like a total bro.

My dad bought this game when I was a kid, he used to love playing on his PS2. It gave me nightmares like fuck for what seems like an eternity.

He also let me play GTA Vice City, he was a decent guy when he was around. Thanks for the thread OP, it's nice to remember.

It's a mediocre pile of fucking boring that shitters that haven't played it recently actually think is good.

>sequel was shit
> the main bosses are a literal Cred Forums racist nig-hunter incarnate and the other one is an edgy prostitute killer /r9k/ incarnate

Your favorite game is a boring piece of shit and crying
>le BAIT :'((((
won't change that.

Nice OPINION, bub.

It ain't an opinion, buddy.

Does he even survive if you leave him? I remember that getting out of the asylum makes a lot of noise right?
KAIN IS DEIFIED

The Creeper wasn't too bad, his dialogue was pretty unnerving at times, and his design was something out of a Wes Craven wet dream. The other guy was pretty dull, and his dogs were hard to find that scary since they were like Spaghetti from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

>your favorite game is boring

That's an opinion, champ. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean everybody hated it.

It's implied he'll fend for himself as long as possible. Now whether he survives until the monsters cease spawning, who knows. Of course, he could always end himself just to have the satisfaction of not being slain by them.

>that's an opinion, champ
Fucking prove it, bucko.

I recall that if the player used cheats, those loud noises and flashing pictures that appear from time to time, would keep appearing every 5 minutes. And the more cheats you activate, the more intense they got.

Just did. Really don't see why you need to be so contrarian about it all. That's fine if you didn't like the game personally, but don't go projecting nonsense like nobody ever liked when it first came out, much less make up bullshit that it's only been liked recently.

Wouldn't know about that, though that does sound like a neat way to discourage people from cheating all the way through. It was pretty cool though, since it let you see Torque's full evil mode where he's practically caked in blood and looking kind of demonic.