Are Visual Novels Video Games?

Are Visual Novels Video Games?

are any of these actually entertaining/well written

No, they are interactive movies.

>Are they interactive, and do those actions have any observable meaning?
>Yes?
>It's a video game

Tales from the Borderlands is actually pretty good.

Kind of funny how Telltale made a better Borderlands game than the last two Gearbox pooped out.

TWD S1 was okay depending on how much you liked Boatgod.
TWAU was interesting enough to make me bother reading the Fables comics for a stint, but really hammered home that the choices don't matter.
TftB was surprisingly not bad and has some of the best writing I've seen in a TT game.
Never tried the GoT one.

The best one I've seen from TTG though has to be the BttF game.

Will I be able to enjoy it without ever playing any of the borderlands?

Some of the settings won't make sense, but otherwise the story is easy enough to follow

I enjoyed the GOT one.

What you should be asking is if Telltale games are visual novels.

>western story-focused "game"
>"10/10 GAVE ME FEELS I NEVER HAD BEFORE WHAT A RIDE LADS"
>japanese visual novel
>"disgusting pedoweebshit go back to /jp/ you fucking subhuman trash"

Considering the average "visual novel", TTGshit still has more gameplay and better stories. Plus they at least only charge about $25 for them, compared to shit like $50 for decade old crap with ripped-off fanslations.

>doesn't post any visual novels

>Why doesn't anyone like weebs?
>asks the weeb, as he shows up in a nice thread to make it all about him and his insecurities

TftBL is great
GoT is underrated, definitely made me feel like it had the most impactful choices

Not an argument. :^)

>QTEs are gameplay
>better stories
>buying visual novels
>implying

Are slot machines video games? Also,
>low quality bait

Just an observation my greasy friend

>no actual argument so just parrot key words
..ok

I'm waiting for the moment they ruin Clementine then I'll forget all about TellTale and be happy about since every single fucking game lags like a bitch

A projection, you mean

No, an objective, observable fact that just happened right in front of me

>QTEs are gameplay

this one shouldn't need an explanation

>better stories
small list of VNs with better stories than any TTG shit:
>umineko
>higurashi
>cross channel
>steins;gate
>ever17
>muv luv
>saya no uta

the list goes on

>buying visual novels
ez pirate

A projection, you mean.

If you wanted smug anime girls shitposter-san you can just ask

It's in a console?
Yep, videogames.
they can be shit, but it's a shit videogame.
TWD1 and TWAU is great, though.

Yes, but to further examine it we must ask do Point and Click games count as FPS. Both of them involve pointing, pressing a button, and an action happening as a result of that which directly affects the visual feedback in front of you.

Or maybe that's fucking retarded and Visual Novels are just a genre OF video games where instead of certain things and things happen, you make a certain choice and things happen. In both cases, it requires input from you besides just starting the game.

Now if you want to ask if they're good, you're a faggot, but a legit faggot.

Be legit you faggot.

Shit, I never shitpost.
Can you give me a (You) with a cute smug one?

Sometimes. If it has player interaction that influences how the story advances I would consider them games. However if the player interaction just exists as a way to advance the narrative and has no real effect on how the story unfolds then those I wouldn't consider games.

>point out the obvious
>PROJECTING PROJECTING

A smug-off, is it?

I hope my smug is up to your expectations

>QTE's are gameplay
GTE's are literal button pressing sequences that's literally ALL YOU DO in a video game lol

>implying I bought any of this shit

All you're doing is making assumptions

Post your decisions from the last episode

See
Your post that had literally nothing to do with
but you replied anyway because you literally can't stop getting triggered by anime girls

You have to press a button to make choices in VNs too you retard

Guess watching TV is also playing a game

I don't have any, so, it's awesome.
Thank you.

>Or maybe that's fucking retarded and Visual Novels are just a genre OF video games where instead of certain things and things happen, you make a certain choice and things happen. In both cases, it requires input from you besides just starting the game.
That's the real issue those. There's a subcategory of visual novels known as kinetic novels that have absolutely no player choice at all.

It was completely related. Your post was effectively "why is there an unfair bias against weeb games compared to their western counterparts?"

If you don't realize how bitter you sounded in that post I don't know what to tell you, smug-kun

Here's a 3D smug

>Saving Selina over based pre-Two-face Harvey

Who says it isn;t?

>not buying visual novels

The fuck man? You're not even good at being a weeaboo.

>why is there an unfair bias against weeb games compared to their western counterparts?

This is a fair question, though. It's pretty reddit to relentlessly hate on things just because they're made in Japan, on a board created to discuss Japanese culture.

Have you seen the discussion. Literally everyone who saves Selina says its because "I know Harvey is going to become Two-Face anyways"

Depends.

Do you mean telltale titles? No clue, never played one. If you mean "Cinematic, episodic interactive fiction that's on video game platforms despite barely being a video game" in general, then yes.

Asura's Wrath is basically that sort of 'genre", except instead of trying to be emotional and deep it just tryping to be a hype as fuck dumb over the top action anime and it works brillantly

And it STILL manages to be emotional, the end of the DLC had me tearing up

Only if they involve Sam and Max

That's a shitty argument. Batman doesn't know that yet.

>board created to discuss Japanese culture
That would be /jp/

>inb4 ANIME WEBSITE ANIME WEBSITE

This is why they hate you.

As for Reddit, they're the inverse, they love things for no reason.

I just imagine spergs like you hyperventilating every time a bug-eyed anime girl pops up on a Cred Forums banner, or worse, you have to see Yotsuba on a 404 page.

You are right. Doesnt change the fact that the reason people do it is because they know Harvey will become Two Face anyways so they are trying to make it feel like their choice had more of an impact.

I know I feel for the same trap. Though if it turns out we get a chance to actually rewrite the Batman saga Ill save him in a heart beat. I just dont want to save him and the very next episode he gets hit in the face anyways

>POWER OF FRIENDSHIP
>Yasu is a superhuman master of disguise, also rain is just a particle effect and doesn't leave any traces or anything :^)
>Have you heard of Archimedes' principle? Yes? Well, let me tell you about this Wikipedia article I read anyway
>You want some tentacle clit growth rape with that?

Honestly i just watch all of these games on youtube (no commentary of course) and treat them like a movie. Its a huge waste of money unless you want to support the devs

Telltale Walking Dead season 1 is GOAT
season 2 is alright

I think the one with the chip on his shoulder is clearly you friendo, you came into the thread with it. All I did was point it out and you felt like you needed a half dozen posts just to deny it.

This whole routine is pretty played out by now anyway.
>lmao does my anime girls flusters you :^)
>anime website xD
>REDDIT REDDIT GB2REDDIT
>you are so salty right now and every time you see an animu holy shit woooow

Anyway to get us back on track, maybe the reason nobody takes the Jappo VN's seriously is because they're pretty much the McDonald's of games. The whole formula was created to keep overhead as low as possible, so you don't have to bother with graphics or gameplay, just hire some manga slaves to draw the sprites, scribble down a couple of routes and bad ends and finish with a hentai splash. Rinse and repeat. If you throw an "interesting" mechanic or two in there, the weebs will actually praise you for "groundbreaking gameplay".

The fact is that despite their faults, TTG took that formula and improved on it about a hundredfold without even trying. VNs will never gain a real foothold in the West for this very reason and may even be forced to emulate the new form if they want to survive in their marketspace.

>15 boards dedicated to Japanese things (of which at least 2 are not purely Japanese)
>29 boards dedicated to non-Japanese things

So weeaboos are still just the insecure vocal minority, good to know.

95% of VNs are harem simulators with generic character archetypes and little to no over-arching plot

dumb anime poster

Where do games like Snatcher and Phoenix Wright fit in here?

No. CYOA Novels presents more meaningful choices than most visual novels and that isn't saying much. Not to say they all suck or that I wouldn't group them together with videogames, but I wouldn't call them video games.

The main reason nobody takes the half-assed "games" TTG puts out seriously is because they're pretty much the McDonald's of games. They try to tell stories and slip in a QTE now and then to make you feel "engaged" when you'd rather just keep advancing the dialogue. Don't bother with graphics either, just pick up that one guy who thinks his crack child of cel-shading and Western graphic novels looks good and have him do all your art direction. Oh, and story? Who cares, just make a beginning, end, and some "deep" or "morally ambiguous" choices between A and B in the middle for Redditors to discuss and share with another (which they love to do more than actually playing the games), as in . Rinse and repeat. If you throw an "interesting" mechanic or two in there, the casuals will actually praise you for "groundbreaking gameplay."

The fact is despite their faults, Japanese VNs retain a formula that allows for creative stories and well-implemented branching paths that leave the player satisfied with the choices they made and even add more replay value than any TTG product will ever make. Thankfully VNs will never stoop so low to try and be anything close to TTG, fostering wonderful stories for many years to come while TTG puts out more "emotional" cel-shaded QTE-fests.

VNS ARE SERIOUS LITERATURE DELETE THIS DELETE THIS DELETE THIS

What a delightful kek you've brought me.
>well-implemented branching paths that leave the player satisfied with the HAHAHAHAHAHAA
Select waifu. Select "loving" option or "Chad meanie head" option. Receive your caring NEET reward or your rightful Chad punishment. This is the only justice system that resonates with the weeb.

I won't dispute any of the stuff about TTG, they are hot trash, but still managed to outdo decades of Nipland VNs without even bothering to apply themselves.

Japan will follow suit. Enjoy the waifus while you can mein freund~

"Game" is a very general term. A game is an interactive system that exists at least partially for the purpose of entertainment. Credit cards are a game. You don't have to personally like it for it to count as a game.

> This type of music isn't REAL music

> This type of scotsman isn't a REAL scotsman

Saya no Uta will be my counterexample for you, shitposter-san.

That game alone is better than TTG's past, present, and future in both gaming and storytelling.

Tales of the Borderlands is easily the best one writing wise, which is surprising considering the actual Boarderlands games are garbage in that area

This is true for a lot of things but not everything, some VNs like Umineko don't have romance at all really

Borderlands 2 was good