Why do so few video games take place on the moon?

Why do so few video games take place on the moon?

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/07/terraforming_the_moon_it_would_be_a_lot_like_florida.html
youtube.com/watch?v=SG7HjyuDP9w
kickstarter.com/projects/virtualheroes/moonbase-alpha-2-use-gaming-to-teach-science-and-t
youtube.com/watch?v=NHnltRy8VAU
youtube.com/watch?v=O9y_AVYMEUs
youtube.com/watch?v=LaZqV0o7EW4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fictional locations are losing general popularity, people want realism.

I want a survival horror set on a moonbase in the near future.

Boring color pallet.

There's nothing of interest on the moon

We've already been there and it was boring.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Does America own the moon, since they got there first and put a flag on it? If China went there and place their own flag, would that be an invasion?

>believing the moon landing

>the moon is fictional
I...uh...what?

Because it's not possible to go up there much less sustain life on

ebrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrrbr

>Asura's Wrath
>Killer is Dead
>Touhou LoLK
>Wolfenstein: TNO

You know, I bet there's even more.

ASHUALLY, due to the environment of the Moon and it's lack of atmosphere, all the flags are now white.

That wizard came from the moon.

slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/07/terraforming_the_moon_it_would_be_a_lot_like_florida.html

mega orgasm

Why haven't we gone back to the moon since 1969?

It's boring for us Americans because we did it so long ago, but think about all the third world countries like Canada and England that waste their money on dumb shit like free healthcare instead of landing on the moon. US and China are the only existing countries that have landed on the moon.

>slate

laughinganimegirls.webm

So the French own the moon, got it.
>the low-hanging fruit is always the tastiest

I know that the flags are all French now. It doesn't change the question.

Because there's no reason to send humans to the moon other than to prove you can do it.

I think duke nukem 3d had a moon level and one of the call of duty zombie dlcs had a moon base level.

The discontinuation of the Saturn V rocket line in exchange for the trimmed-down Space Shuttle made manned missions beyond LEO impossible until recently as space programs have begun working even harder than before on heavy lift launch vehicles. The primary target for SpaceX and NASA is Mars, while the primary target for Roscosmos and the ESA is the Moon. Blue Origin just wants to get people into orbit.

/thread
youtube.com/watch?v=SG7HjyuDP9w

JOHN MADDEN

i guess the moon means something different for everyone

A E I O U

Humans must leave earth if they are to survive past the next thousand years.

There's moon 1 and 2 on the DS and AIEOU simulator

A moon based horror game could be cool though, maybe set it up like alienwhere you're discovering some old alien shit, maybe it turns out to be humans from the future, who knows

HOLY SHIT

Because the perfect moon game has already been created.

>terraforming a piece of rock with such low gravity

It can be done, it just would be kind of a terrible idea. If we for some reason decide that we need new living space but we don't leave the solar system we'd eventually turn to weird shit like that.
If you think that's odd, look up plans people have for terraforming the gas giants.

Terraforming any extraterrestrial object would be obscenely expensive. Consider how expensive just getting to space is. Consider how expensive just getting to the Moon itself is. Now imagine all of the shit you'd have to transport from the Earth to the Moon and imagine how frequently you'd have to transport shit.

This desu

What does that have to do with the moon being "fictional", idiot? It's right fucking there, I'm looking at it.

What the fuck happened to Routine?

Never forget.
kickstarter.com/projects/virtualheroes/moonbase-alpha-2-use-gaming-to-teach-science-and-t

And why do you think that?

>inb4 the french

that guys question literally has the excuse for no stars in it
>could you see any stars in spite of the glare?
the glare hides the stars

THE MOON ISNT A ROCK FLOATING IN SPACE

THERE IS NO SPACE

Money is no object. It's not a real thing. It comes out of nowhere.

No, I don't remember the details but there's some sort of neutrality thing for extra-atmospheric space in place. No one can own any space/territory beyond the upper atmosphere now, which is why satellites from all nations are able to operate without being shot down when they happen to orbit over another country. The moon and all other celestial bodies are currently neutral, anyone can go there and (maybe?) do whatever they want aside from building doomsday weapons.

It's kind of like Antarctica. No one owns Antarctica, you can establish a research base there but you can't build military installations or claim territory due to agreements put in place long ago.

No worries user, they posted this in December

It's still not fictional, cockface.

How can the moon be real if our eyes aren't real?

Earth will become uninhabitable in 1000 years.

That's not an answer. You just spouting more shit from your ass.

Earth will become uninhabitable tomorrow

Some of you guys are pretty ok. You should stay home.

>It comes out of nowhere.

Correct, but it has value because it's agreed to have value. That's how all currency operates. However, the more money that is created out of thin air, the less value it's perceived to have. Printing enough money to terraform the Moon would cause inflation on the level of Zimbabwe or worse, where you have to spend several trillion dollars or more just to buy a single pack of gum.

>tfw you are now remembering Red Alert 2 had a 10/10 moon level in it's campaign.

if you print the money and don't tell anyone then it's all good right?
Print a million and give it to a construction company, print another million live to to a space company.
If you don't tell anyone that there's more, they'll think there's just the same amount.

Destroy All Humans 2 has a level on the moon, there's even a KGB moonbase and ayy lmaos.

are you 5 years old?

The value of money is a function of how much of it there is. What do you think inflation is?

Inflation happens because people have more money to spend and so they are willing to spend more. Look at WoW. Everyone is a billionaire, so random swords all sell for millions of gold at the auction houses. They used to cost a couple hundred when everyone was a poorfag.

You don't understand economics. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

STEVEN HAWKING SAID IT.

uh give it to them in the form of money they can't spend then

One of the best games evar
youtube.com/watch?v=NHnltRy8VAU

>1000 years

I promise it will be faster than that, considering we're doing nothing to prevent that.

I really wish there were more missions on the moon and less space magic. Game was 10/10 childhood/early adolescent experience.

"Filthy Americans!"

Nvidia did a really cool debuff of this
youtube.com/watch?v=O9y_AVYMEUs

John Madden

aeiou

>cosmonaut reporting

You weren't, actually.

>bloo bloo no stars
>it's clearly the middle of the day on the moon in all moon footage
>implying you can see stars ever in the middle of the day

>game of thrones, harry potter, bs:i, skyrim take place in a fictional places
I don't think your right

>Fallout 4
>"Our soldiers are fighting everywhere, from Sea of Tranquility..."
>What? Some kind of Fallout only location?
>It's one of those moon "seas"
>Hyped as fuck for moon DLC
>MECHANIST, CUSTOM VAULT, POINT LOOKOUT 2.0, NUKA WORLD "WEEEEEEEELLLL"
Fuck you, just fuck you.

>Some people alone do absolutely mad total conversions
>Guy who CONSORTS WITH BEASTS goes to "relax on weekend" and posts how much work he done on said weekend
>"Making a game is hard"
Living in general is hard if you are whiny little bitch.

neat

thanks for the laugh

aeiou

>What? Some kind of Fallout only location?
>he didn't know what the sea of tranquility is before fallout 4 came out

Just fucking end yourself you uneducated millennial.

Dude, I'm from Russia, "tranquility" in my mind has more "tranquilisators" then "calamity" association.

>Dude, I'm from Russia
Nevermind killing yourself, it's a miracle someone else hasn't killed you yet.

>"Our soldiers are fighting everywhere, from Sea of Tranquility..."

Where did you hear that?

When you save Preston Garvey from the museum, there's a thing near a painting of USA soldiers that you can read that says "Our soldiers fight everywhere from Alaska to the Sea of Tranquility."

plant life and insects will be A-OK

Survival horror/puzzle game were the moon base's ai system has turned evil due to a virus when?

Addendum: GOOD games.

>not realizing obvious sarcastic comedy

Let's make one. You and me.

Fuck you too buddy

The shit one was the 3rd

Yeah this is it right here. As long as plants and bugs are intact the cycle will just start again.

because if done right it would instantly be hard mode
>cant move too fast or youll trip, have to bunny hop
>fall into a crater you freeze to death
>moon dust shreds your equipment quickly, need constant repairs, also why you shouldnt move to fast and kick up big clouds of the stuff
>cosmic rays slowly frying you and cuasing flashes in your eyeballs, mistaken for distant targets
>high albedo, single color, and tenuous atmosphere makes it nearly impossible to judge distances and topography accurately making navigation a nightmare
>tenuous atmosphere also means your terminal air speed is way higher, do not fall from heights or youll die
>possible meters deep pockets of quickdust that you just fall into and die
>statically charged dust in the air and electrostatic dust storms frying comms and gps
>if the sun has a hiccup you have eight minutes to get underground or be microwaved to death
>if the dark side moves over you, you freeze to death in seconds
>even in a lunar hab, the few stray dust particles that get in through the airlocks will slowly weaken you from shredding your lungs
>0 protection from meteoroids
seriously, fuck the moon
i aint going there, hell id much rather go all the way to mars

I'd like a Dead Space 3 spin-off where you play as a mechanical engineer on the moon during the outbreak at the beginning of the main game.

Children of a Dead Earth can take place around the moon, does that count?

we dont have any proper spacecraft to take us there anymore, or big enough rockets to get the stuff that could take us there in space in first place
mostly though its the moon dust
the moon is basically a giant frozen white kevlar shredding electrically charged razor sharp micro-dust desert and we have absolutely no fucking idea how to stop it from completely fucking our shit if we ever go back
FEAR THE MOON

damn, that page is depressing.

Portal 2

>only two aeious

This is not the football

well you dont terraform the surface obviously, you plug up the massive fucking lava tubes under the surface with airlocks, harvest some ice from the deeper craters, then use electrolysis on that shit to get rocket fuel and oxygen, boom instant moon base

didnt we actually divide up antarctica? i remember seeing maps with different territories outlined on it
oh wait shit nevermind im thinking of the arctic i think

holla holla get $

who cares?
I'll be dead anyway and humans suck
Literally shit tier species

Cuz even in games we can't land on it.

There's nothing there.

F

God damn it dinklebot
Go back to being a drunken lecher
In all seriousness Destiny's Moon is pretty good.

What games besides NOLF2 did micro-gravity right?

Duck tails
Black ops 2
Oo7

Look out its another Chinese earthquake
brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr

Name me one species that isn't shit tier. Other than kiwis.

Sure, but going to the moon won't help that.

Pre-sequel took place on a moon. The low-gravity sections made shootouts a bit more fun.

FUCK that game, I refunded it before the 2 hours were up, the writing was tumblr tier and the shooting felt like garbage. Worse then all the other Borderlands(which were all pretty bad) by far.

>thinks all the borderland games are bad
>buys another one
Why?

1 word: friends. It was 10 bucks so we figured we'd play it for a bit, laugh at it, but we stopped after like 80 minutes due to how fucking awful it was.

i need more kiwi videos now

well that's sad

no, you're right. a lot of countries have claims there, even if they can't technically be enforced.

In fact, the US and Russia reserve the right to claim part of Antarctica at some point in the future.

>literally wanting Fallout: The Pre-Sequel

Money represents real objects of value. Instead of trading camels for sheep, or a hammer for two bags of sugar, you install a unified virtually worthless object to represent the worth of real world value. Money be anything from pieces of "I owe you" papers, to high security bills, to copper out gold coins, to seashells or bottle caps. The only requirement is that the money exists in quantities that are rational to the real world possessions. It's a delicate balance, and when you fall off this balance, you get inflation and deflation, which affect the money's value.
Money is as real as the agreement on which it was established. When you set up such a terraforming project, it's not the paper money that is being thrown away. It's the resources, man power, the time a person could have used to grow food for people instead of working on an expedition to change the moon. It's the fuel dedicated to power the frequent flights to the moon, not to power a city.

Saying "money is just pieces of paper and numbers on a computer" is almost as dumb as observing we might not be seeing the same colors as other people.

what is Routine?
youtube.com/watch?v=LaZqV0o7EW4

aeiou

The blood of the innocent shall flow for a thousand years
H

You realize that recently China landed an actual probe on the moon and the feed they gave out looked exactly like the Apollo missions. No stars. I just thought that since they're like competitors they would instantly dig onto Nasa if their feed had stars.