How exactly were you supposed to know you were supposed to shoot the door to open it? I mean...

How exactly were you supposed to know you were supposed to shoot the door to open it? I mean, it took like five missiles. Why would you keep shooting your precious missiles when it didn't do anything the first time?

I guess most people just say that games hold your hand too much these days and that they never had any problem figuring it out. I never played Metroid as a kid, so I wouldn't know if I would have gotten it on my own. I guess I would, but I have no idea how.

Because it flashed when you shot missiles at it, stupid.

Games used to come with books called instruction manuals which usually provided lore, controls, and gameplay mechanics.

Check out the enclosed instruction book

No one read those.

its in the manual you underage piece of shit

confirmed born after 2000

I always read them from start to finish before playing any game, you're wrong

The first thing every kid did on the way home from the store was bust open the case and start reading the instruction book so they'd be ready to play when they got home.

This. I remember my mom used to get super pissed when I did that, called me impatient.

She's dead now. Not really. Yes really.

>No one read those.

lol

speak for yourself you illiterate

The game is broken. They should have put some voices in telling you to shoot the door.

I always read mine. Games back then didn't have tutorials that held your hand through the entire learning process, if you wanted to know what the fuck you were doing you HAD to read it.

>Never be this young again
>But the memories are like warm caresses

Reading Shadow the Hedgehog in the back of the car in 2005.

I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Simpler times user.
Simpler times.

you are trolling but they could have at least given you a situation where wasting all your rockets might be worth experimenting with like locking you in a room with a locked door, like they did for the ball form immediately to the left of the spawn. this is a game where you know you unlock abilities to perform certain tasks, there is no reason to assume 5 missiles will instantly work, imagine if the starting doors took 20 blaster pellets to open, thats ridiculous for the sake of obscurity and bad game design. maybe they should have made rockets more fucking rare and made it take only 1 missile like every other door even super missile doors

Actually chuckled

you stupid nigger

Literally just bad game design, however people will defend it because they think this game is the epitome of gaming when in reality it's just the same as all platformers

Actually, I'll amend what my point is.

People will defend every single aspect of this game purely because the game itself is good, also people will put on their nostalgia glasses, which skews the reality of the situation even more.

Good game with elements of bad design

You must be at least 18 years old to post on Cred Forums.

>all this rationalization for not reading the manual

Manuals are the best reading material while taking a shit.

>keep seeing the same posts over and over

Are you the same attention starved faggot who posted this about Super Metroid like a week ago? Are you really that starved for attention? You should see a therapist.

Actually, every Metroid fan I've ever talked to thinks that the original is pretty shitty.

clearly underage

back then manuals weren't one piece of paper with a website on it....
they were thick. You wouldn't even know the controls unless you read it first, everyone I knew read the manual I can;t even fathom how any one could think that

We had to. Hardware limitations and programming methods(pure machine code and architectures were far more limited and complicated to work with) forced devs to make sacrifices in places. Most of the time it meant indicators. Manuals were pretty much mandatory.

It became a second nature to read manuals for even the most straightforward games.

>Start playing Metroid
>Take a shot at one of the Geemers in the starting room.
>it doesn't die

What the fuck invincible enemies are bullshit.

I wouldn't say it's shitty, but after you've played Super or Zero Mission it's really hard to go back to it. It's more like obsolete.

>blaster pellets

Of T was made today there would be a room full of 10 doors you have to shoot open to make sure you understand the mechanic then there would only be like two instances of that mechanic in the rest of the game.

spotted the fag

Actually it didn't flash in the original, but when you hit it with missiles it doesn't make the "Weapon not working" ding sound.

Just a sound saying something isn't working goes a very long way to making players try different things until it does work.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the game starting you with a paltry 30 health each time you start it up.

Don't forget the scan log data that you have to stop the game to read that says something like "Zebesian Missile Lock - This ingenious door lock is only visible by its red coloration. To disable it, repeated large concussive blasts, like from a missile, should render it nonoperational and force the doorway to open."

You're forgetting the door unlocker DLC that are usable one time each.

I'm sorry user, but I came here just to say that you are clearly underage

because it's orange the color of fire
as in keep fire-ing those missiles faggot

HAHAAHAHAHAHHA

Games came with manuals back then you fucking retards. We used to poor over those in the car ride home.

>see blue door
>it opens when shot
>see red door
>doesn't really do much when shot normally
>hm, what are my other options. i can only jump, curl up into a ball, and shoot missiles. oh wait, duh.
>it reacts to being shot by a missile
>keep shooting until it opens
I'm sorry you or the person that made this if this is just a copypasta at this point is retarded, OP.

>what are my other options
hurr go the other 4 branching paths to find an alternate path have you ever even played metroid before?
>it reacts to being shot by a missile
it doesnt

isnt the first red door you go through at the end of a one-way area with a missile upgrade directly in front of it?

>Hit red door with beam
DING
>Hit red door with bombs
DING
>Hit red door with missile
Nothing

>Making a noise that nothing else shot by a missiles makes means it doesn't react.

?

>doesn't try to overcome an obstacle before going a different path
Found the beta.
>it doesn't
>makes a completely different sound than a normal shot; highly reactive to the missile
Not sure. Most people just go for the Long Beam after getting the missiles.

Bravo user, you've managed to trigger an entire generation of posters.

>you play an adventure game and get to a deadend
>refuse to progress at all because you think maybe on the 300th attack it will open
nah, you guys are just accommodated to the retarded practice

I'd open the game box right away and read the manual on the way home or while taking a dump

>doesn't try everything possible before moving on
>calling others retarded
I guess you just decided to get cucked because you couldn't figure out a way into a girl's pants too lmao

Metroid 1 is not that good though.

maybe learn to read before playing an nes game.

my first game i did try missiles. i shot once, didn't do anything, tried this two more times, 3 times the charm. nobody is going to assume 5 missiles will be the one to open the door

>nobody is going to assume 5 missiles will be the one to open the door
Except all the people that did because they're not mentally special cuckmaster supremes.

*after spending an hour reading the manual (walkthrough) or spoiling yourself online

>*after spending a couple of minutes doing the 3 things you can at that point and using the powerup you recently got that makes a different sound when it hits the red door
ftfy

you have only 5 boom pellets at that point, why on earth would you assume you should spend your entire clip on it?

>new game for Christmas
>AW yiss
>have to wait before trying it out
>read the manual in anticipation

You forgot the most important part.
*SNIIIIIFFFFFFFF

Thanks for ruining the thread with your racism user
Here, have a (you)

Because I was given 5 shortly before and the door made a bwoop when I shot it with one so I kept shooting it. It's not like you can't get them back.
>b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but what if
Armchair horseshit. You can keep speculating on whatever but there's at least one definite here. You're retarded.

let me guess, nintendo power user? just because you know now doesn't mean it isn't stupid. you cheated and spoiled yourself the discovery and think you are hotshit because now on your second playthrough you can say without a doubt "bloops mean its working!", pathetic.

The door doesn't go bwoop when you hit it with missiles.

There's no reaction besides the lack of the weapon not working sound.
Which should be enough to tell a player that something is going on

>10 missile blasts to open the other ones

what other ones?

there's only two in the game, one of them is in ridley's room with a tank behind it. i dont remember where the other one is, at bottom of one of the shafts in tourian i think.

I can tell from your post you are between 17 and 20 years old and never had the luxury of reading the good manuals of old

Not him, but I'm 19 and I knew the Metroid Fusion manual by heart when I was a kid, and I constantly refer to the digital manual when I play NCAA14. Can I stay?

lolwat