Yakuza thread

I want to get into this series so fucking bad, but I've only got a ps3. Is it worth it to just play Yakuza 5 and watch recaps of the previous games on youtube? or would I be fucking myself out of understanding some dramatic revelatory bulllshit later on by not playing earlier entries? FUCK

poorfag btw, not going out of my way to find a working ps2 just to play the first 2 games. plus no competent pc to pirate, either.

Other urls found in this thread:

emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/Yakuza_(USA)/151002
emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/Yakuza_2_(USA)/151001
emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_Emulators/Windows/PCSX2/219
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you're shit out of luck then how about saving your money up and quit being a poorfag then get into video games

>poorfag btw
Go to a swap meet and buy a PS2 for $10 user, order a mod memcard for $10 from ebay or a modshop.

Emulating is shit, PS2 on PS3 is busted for the first game.

Seriously go get a PS2 for dick cheap

Get 3 or 4, it has recaps of the previous games viewable from the main menu. 4 is a decent enough starting point since its story is mostly unrelated to earlier entries.

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

Where were you when Haruka had a child?

didn't know they had recaps, thanks

i was at home when steam message

'haruka has child'

'no'

and you???

>tfw my copy of Kiwami will be here soon

The games come generally have some recap stuff, I know Yakuza 4 has custcenes packaged from the previous games as recaps, but they're all fun to play and it's also nice to see the series evolve.

If you're not too bothered by the concept of actually owning the games, You can emulate the first and second game with PCSX2 and a BIOS.

Yakuza 4 and 5 are on the PSN store but Yakuza 3 is only in disc form.

Personally, I would recommend you emulate and play 1 and 2 and figure if you like the series to invest your time and money into the sequels.

Yakuza 1 ISO
emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/Yakuza_(USA)/151002

Yakuza 2 ISO
emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/Yakuza_2_(USA)/151001

PCSX2
emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_Emulators/Windows/PCSX2/219

PS2 BIOS (Required to actually emulate the Console itself)
www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/Ps2%20bios.zip

How strong would my laptop need to be to play them well?

I'm not too sure, I don't think it would be very stressful on a lower end PC/Laptop, my computer is more high-end so I can't really vouch

I might wait so I can make it run at 1080p. How great does the game look maxed out?

4 has recap videos for the previous games. 5 does not.

The PS2 with mcboot memory card is the best way to go though. It's not even particularly expensive. If you can't afford it, you should have bigger concerns than getting into the Yakuza games or video games in general.

The series is good but I can't recommend anyone to play all of the games because they're VERY rehashed and you will get bored out of your mind very soon if you play them back to back. The recaps are nowhere near accurate enough to make you understand what's going on, let alone making any sense.

You can emulate the first 2 on PCSX2, back when I played them they were a bit broken but it was possible to fix them messing with skipdraw and then all you miss is some funky camera lens effects, pretty cool for a ps2 game but not needed for gameplay.

If you want to play one, then wait a couple of months and play the next one, go in order.

Otherwise, you can play the 3 games on PS3. Yakuza 3 is a bit weird and I don't really like it even though I spent 100 hours on it for the platinum trophy (dem fucking minigames, why did I waste all that time god damn). Yakuza 4 and 5 are very similar, but 5 is by far the best. Unfortunately I played Y5 when I had gamer fatigue so I noticed every little issue with it and didn't really enjoy it, but I aknowledge it's the best in the series so far (out of the games that came out).

Maybe you should just play 4 and 5 since they're the most modern, and then read up on youtube or ask on gamefaqs on the Y5 board if something doesn't make sense to you for the story.

My main annoyance with the series is the rehashed content, and also they rehash things in a way that do not make sense. For example, if you play Y3 and then Y4, you'll notice Ryu has lost some moves that he could do in Y3, and now other characters can do them, and the animation is totally recycled frame by frame from Y3, this is so annoying to me. The same thing happens in 4. Many moves have been rehashes from the first game all the way to the latest one. The games have a ton of cutscenes so if you're not into story heavy games then you should play something else. Basically these games are japanese gangster drama movies with some GTA and some urban beat em up..

>Cred Forums always talks about how rare Yakuza 2 is
>local Cex is selling them dirt cheap
Im a little suspicous
is there anything gimped in the EU versions to the others

Probably because the PS2 is region locked. The NTSC version is probably more rare.

In this case you are the gimped one.

It's just rare in America. I bought new copy last year for 12€.
>is there anything gimped in the EU versions to the others
Nah, it's the same, I think in PAL version you can choose display mode (PAL 50hz and NTSC 60hz)

Let me add a few more details (comment too long etc).

I listed some negatives now for some positives. The story is a bit over the top but very enjoyable if you're into story based games. It's no TLOU but it's well written and well acted, VERY japanese in style, if you don't like japanese movies or if you hate Japan you won't enjoy it. You'll also learn a lot abut japanese culture and stuff that only happens in Japan.

The combat system is simplistic but very fun, you basically get attacked by all sorts of retards on the street for hilarious reasons (kind of like a jrpg) and then you get to beat the shit out of them, you have all kinds of special moves and you can use objects & weapons like in Dead Rising. There's a lot of PRESS X TO AWESOME and QTEs but they're really well made and brutal as fuck to the point they're really exciting to do and never get old (except maybe when they rehash it for 5 games in a row).

There are also a bunch of minigames and side activities, some are hilarious like karaoke or the massage parlor and some are more wii-sports like, but they're overall enjoyable (hopefull yyou're not a 100% whore like me because then you'll hate them). Y5 has a ton of side activities and if you have gamer fatigue you'll not enjoy them because they're very barebones and not very polished, like racing or hunting in first person, kind of feels like when they added a million minigames to Crash 3 on the PS1 to me, those things just make me want to go back to the main game ASAP. Also I looked forward to the idol part in Y5 but it's the worst part of the game by far.

So yeah, if this sounds interesting to you, I recommend you to play Y3 and then Y5, if you like both go for the full series, if you like Y3 play the first 2, if you like Y5 play Y4.

not him but is there a way to make your ps2 play other regions?

You could probably mod it in some way or maybe one of those old "Freeloader" discs that changed a consoles region temporarily.

Most of the series is on the PS3. Y4's a perfectly decent entry point into the series too.

Swap Magic, Free MC Boot.

For Yakuza, PCSX 2 with some tweaked settings works fine.

thanks

That's what I did: I still haven't played 1/2 yet. Love the series though.

>you will never have a shirtless rooftop battle against a former friend of yours
These games have given me a newfound motivation to get /fit/

she's 20 years old why are they still holding hands

It's from 5. She's 16 on that pic.

>You will never beat your hopes and dreams into them while having an over-dramatic conversation while fighting shirtless
I want to lift and get as masculine as Kiryu and co.

>saejima in 5

why is this so fucking boring

All worth it for I BELIEVE IN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

Hunting is legit the most fun part of 5. Those garbage dream segments in prison were fucking awful, though.

Is there any reason to hold hands with a 16yo other than lewd? That being said, why is there so few haruka r34?

>Is there any reason to hold hands with a 16yo other than lewd?
Said 16yo being your daughter is one.

That being said, her not holding Kiryu's hand until your rank with her goes up a bit was something weird they did in 5.

Probably because Japan doesn't want to lewd her maybe? In Ishin, they made it sound like she was in a romantic relationship with Kiryu because you could "share a bed" (lay on a futon and talk together like father and daughter) and fans weren't happy.

Pre-ordered 6.

Can't wait.

i can

I want to, but I may wait. We could get 6 next year.

You're absolutely dreaming.

We got 5 and 0 very closely released in the west. Maybe if 0 does well like 5 maybe did, we'll get 6 earlier?

Please Sega. That or I'll use a guide.

EVERY THREAD

WE GET IT!!!!!!!

Zero is just Sega taking a chance on 5's popularity.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Here's hoping it does well enough.

Why is Haruka such a slut?
Did we not raise Her right?

Just finished 5 yesterday.
Really conflicted about the ending.
Story wise, a giant mess and non-sensical bullshit with characters that were literally seen for a minute being the main baddies, but the final boss fights were awesome, especially Kiryu's.

>raise a kid with unconditional love
>acts maximum retard all the time
First Trucy in Ace Attorney 6 idolizing her objectively awful dad who abandoned her and now this, fuck.

They went atleast 3-4 twists too far at the end there. Morinaga should've been the final boss.

Not OP but many thanks, user

At this point the story in Yakuza is just an excuse for kick ass boss fights.

I stopped caring for the story during Yakuza 3 when Kazama's twin brother showed up and was working for the CIA.

Trying to take the story in 4 seriously was a laugh riot as well.

I find the Yakuza stories enjoyable camp. I love the fact that the twists are so stupid, it feels like a campy Japanese Yakuza movie.

I think so too, I just don't go in expecting it to be on the same scale as 1-2 anymore

Characters are also pretty well written and likable.

It's like Metal Gear. It can get the balance between camp and serious down well.

I'll miss playing as Akiyama in 6. I liked doing his money lender related side missions in 4 and 5. They were a nice change of pace with a good variety of stories and characters.

I hate how Yakuza Zero releases the same day as KH 2.8 and Resi 7 meaning Yakuza 6 will never get a western release..

Yeah, I'd have no problem with a delay honestly.

I feel like most people who're interested in 0 are going to buy it.

It's only us Yakuzafags and maybe a few new comers though.
Which isn't much.

Don't worry user, I will buy it when it get translated to english and gets ported to PC!
So never

Anyone who has played Zero, how are the bosses? Are they challenging? Just how's the difficulty overall? The last challenging boss imo was Kiryu in 4 (not counting Amon)
I'll be playing it on hard once it comes out and i want to know what i'm in for

>money lending substory
>one of the options for a girl is that she will have to work with her body
>think it's whoring herself out
>it's construction
for what purpose

Bosses are fairly tough in Zero.
I was stuck on the first boss for quite some time, but after that I didn't have too much trouble.

The gun ruined Ishin.

It should've been a rare use weapon. I think giving it unlimited ammo with no reloads was retarded.

Just started emulating 1, is there any way to get rid of the bloom ghosting other than turning bloom effects off or playing in native res?

>I wanna get into the series, but I've only got the system most of the games in the series are on. What do I do?
Have no fucking idea mate.

Y U M E
U
M
E

Well, the games are on 15 million budget or less, they are not AAA.
Without rehashed content, they would not even exist or be super small.

It obviously not her child. Can you even twist?

Is the zombie yakuza bad? Everyone seems to shit on it.

>most boring segments outside of fighting
>in fighting, he has the most fun style

fucking body slamming and throwing niggas around, i loved saejimas upgrade in 5

it's very mediocre

its basically just a zombie third person shooter set in the yakuza universe, great for fans because of the amount of fan service (playable majima and ryuji), but if you're not that into yakuza it's not even worth touching

Thanks user.