P3

About to start P3. Which version is better? PSP or PS2? Heard PSP added many new things, but also lacks something from PS2.

bump

P3P is a much better game, although some graphical fidelity is lost.

Some say that the ability to control your party members that you gain in P3P makes the game too easy and removes the fun of the random element in combat. For most people it was just a huge frustration, though.

Go psp. Persona 3 on ps2 only has an exclusive expansion called "the answer". Just play the psp version and watch the answer on youtune, it isn't worth it. Story is good but the bosses are major levels of asshole.

a lot of the nice emotional momenets were meant to be told through animation, which p3p lacks.
People say controlling party members is huge, but the combat and gamplay in the game is absolute shit anyway, so you may as well play ps2 version on very easy.

Ps2 is infinitely better. PSP version is a straight visual novel while the ps2 has graphics and The Answer, a 10 hour epilogue dungeon crawl that the psp version doesn't have. Ps2 literally has more game.

There's no real reason to play the Answer, but don't let me you stop you.
It's just a dungeon crawl basically, no real story.

Thanks guys. Downloading PSP version. Dub or undub? Also, boy or grill?

P2 FES is my pick, I wont argue that P3P isnt a better game but without the cut scenes its worthless.

Any other good jrpgs for PSP?

people keep saying psp version lacks cutscenes.
didnt they just replace the animu cutscenes with real time ones tho?

with text only

if youre even asking this, you dont care about playing a girl in which case the portable version is a fucking straightup downgrade you moron

Persona 3 FES is the superior version.

Unfortunately, Persona 3 Portable has a LOT more features, but they cut out all the animation making it into a visual novel.

I will take it as a PSP thread. How are ports of Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics for it? Good, any patches that are needed?

P3 FES is the way to go. The PSP version is garbage. Everything is ruined in the PSP version and it lacks any actual challenge.

FFT is great as long as you get the slowdown patch. TO should work out of the box.

How is that unfortunate?

if you want the traditional difficulty of the SMT series, play P3FES on ps2.
the game was designed around the party being controlled by AI, which leads to many "unfair" moments just like all the other games the series is notoriously known for.
sure, in other games you can control the party, but you get screwed in these due to balancing taking into account your full control over everyone.
in P3, they didn't change the balance to compensate for this, so it will feel like using Codebreaker to unlock the party's control. basically it's an officially sanctioned cheat.

>last sentence
in P3P, I mean

I vote FeS for a first playthrough

play FES you numbskull

Whichever language you like better mang. English cast is pretty good except for Fuuka and Ken. Boy first then grill on 2nd

P3P is the best version, don't listen to the contrarian shitters, and most of all have fun.

>anyone recommending P3P

You realize P3:FES has a boatload of content P3P is missing, right? Are you guys dumb or just too bad at videogames you couldn't finish P3 without controlling your party members?

Vanilla p3 for the full experience.

You realise P3P has a boatload of content P3:FES is missing, right?

You're just retarded, apparently you're not aware that difficulty settings exist.

P3P is the superior game, as the ability to being able to control your party members makes it better off than the PS2 versions.

Also FeMC is the better choice, as she gets more SLs with SEES than the MC does, and thus makes the group feel more together.

P3P has
>controlling your teammates
>skill cards

P3FES has
>more personas
>actual cutscenes
>more videos for social links
>walking around
>a whole new campaign
>new shrine
>more quests

Anyone recommending P3P started Persona with 4, which kinda hampers their ability to recognize a good game. P3FES or bust.

>Conveniently leaving out all the actual new content in P3P like all the new social links in the FeMC route
Piss off faggot, you're not even trying to argue your case, you already made up your mind.

I remember a few years ago no one wouild recommend P3P because it's outright missing content compared to FES

This place has really gone to shit, hasn't it?

OP, FES has more contest while P3P is easier and "quicker" (because the game plays as a visual novel so you don't even get to walk around the map), go with FES with you want the better game, P3P if you just wanna get through it

As long as people are recommending Persona games, the place is shit. Regardless of what flavour of shit it happens to be.

Ok then

P3P has
>FeMC's route (which is not even canon)
>controlling your teammates
>skill cards

P3FES has
>more personas
>actual cutscenes
>more videos for social links
>walking around
>a whole new campaign that's not just a protagonist switch and is canon
>new shrine
>more quests

P3P if you want to be a slut

user the PSP version is shit, you have to download the PS2 FES version, there you can play the epilogue while in the psp version you can't.

And the girl story is shit, basically is generic harem were every characters gets his development destroyed because their only motivation to live is to get under your skirt.

I can UNDUB the PPSSPP version on the options or something?
Wtf I love P3P now.

It is already a huge game so the quick map of PSP is great.

>persona isn't about having a harem of waifus/husbandos
wew lad

Here's an example of a scene made worse in P3P.

>You're in Tartarus for the first time, and Akihiko is explaining why you're the boss.
>Akihiko asks Junpei if he can summon his Persona without hesitation.
>In P3P, you see a flat image and a static background.
>In FES, Akihiko walks up to Junpei and puts his evoker to his head while speaking.

Reading a script isn't just as good as watching a movie. P3P isn't that bad, but the logic still applies.

PS2, no doubt.
The PSP has an extra rout that you can play if you enjoyed experience of the console version, but the balance went to shit because you can control your teammates like in P4, whereas P3 was made without that in mind

And here we have the Persona 4 audience

P3P is the inferior game to play on your first playthrough

it removes tons of shit, talking is basically visual novel no 3d model movement or anything, removes a lot from the scenes

animated cut scenes are removed

battle system was balanced around not being able to control your team so its too easy if you can also they added tons of other shit to make the game too easy

you have the choice to play FES if you want to at the end of the game.

only ever play p3p for the female route on your second playthrough

If you aren't playing FES first time you are a dumbass. Seriously.

>No cutscenes
>Point and click tier gameplay on PSP
>Shit graphics
>No expansion

>muh grafix
>muh walking simulator

And the answer was a godawful grindfest, you're better off watching the cutscenes on youtube than playing that thing. Or just play a SMT game if you're obsessed with traversing tedious dungeons.

>people seriously couldn't finish P3 without teammate control
There are a bunch of MARIN KARIN memes but otherwise the AI is pretty competent. I think their only flaw is when you want them to heal you but you are not really in danger so they'll do whatever instead of healing, which isn't that big of a deal considering you can solo the game with just Minato

People that recommend P3P must be used to kusoge like Neptunia where everything is a visual novel

The cutscenes in P3 do make a difference, P3P is more suited for a second playthrough

The only reason P3P is deemed superior is because the kids too deficient to appreciate the tactics menu wanted a more straightforward RPG experience and are now old enough to post.

Play FES and enjoy the game as it was intended: a proper console title.

>tfw mitsuru's marin karin worked on this guy in a clutch and won the battle

best waifu

>I'm so hardcore bro, if you don't want to be shackled to terrible AI you're just a casual!
This is why SMTfags laugh at Personiggers.

That's their actual weakness.

>Playing this while a bumch of m8s were watching
>tfw
Classic SMT experience, not that P3P fags will ever know.

That happened to you too? Holy shit

I was doing my Hard 100% compendium run (no new game+) and it was actually hard because you have limited days to reach the top floor of tartarus and grind for the full moon. It was my third shot at this guy and I wasn't doing so hot but then MARIN FUCKING KARIN charms the guy and I end up winning the fight with that

>It's just a dungeon crawl basically, no real story.
Spoken like a true faggot who didn't play it.

P3p removes all cutscenes in favour of text scrolling on the screen.
It removes fusion attacks and makes them a limited item (cards)
Cuts over 10 hours of gameplay (the answer) that most people are too pussy to play through anyway because mandatory hard mode.
B-but you can be a girl!

>Not playing Persona for the social links
You're saying you actually like the bland dungeon crawling?

>It removes fusion attacks and makes them a limited item (cards)
I completely forgot about this
I remember playing P3P on my phone and trying to do Cadenza and it just wasn't there

If you're grinding in any SMT game, you seriously need to learn to fuse and be smart about skill inheritance.

man you guys are going to feel silly when you play P5 without playing The Answer

Yeah it's more fun than reading an npc's shallow issues and choosing to verbally pat them on the back.

Doesn't p5 have social links? I haven't been too excited because of that.

Then why aren't you playing SMT?

Play P3P for her

FES

90% of the people recommending you play Portable probably played P3 or FES first. Wandering around the school/around town isn't present in Portable. People won't see this as a big deal, because it's kind of a chore on repeat playthroughs, but for your first playthrough it really adds to the experience. Plus there are a lot more NPCs you can talk to in the PS2 version, so Portable feels kind of lifeless in comparison.

There's also the combat. Being able to control your party members is an objective improvement, but the game isn't balanced around it, so it becomes a cakewalk.

FFT War of the Lion is amazing on psp. It has two new classes, better translation, animated cutscenes and you can unlock Balthier and Luso. There's a slowdown when casting spells, though, but there's a patch for it.

FES is the best version. Play P4 after if you want full party control, but the tactics menu does indeed work. It's a bit finicky at the beginning but gets better as you will learn more tactics to give your party members over the course of the game. It's also the only persona game aside from golden to allow you to play past December and into late January.

>Being able to control your party members is an objective improvement, but the game isn't balanced around it, so it becomes a cakewalk.
This is why difficulty settings exist senpai

It is still a cakewalk

I played both FES Hard and P3P Maniac and Maniac was still easier

Are you okay with sacrificing bells and whistles to receive more worthwhile content? Play P3P

Otherwise play FES

>more worthwhile content
You realize FES has better social links, right?

You can't even social link your party members in FES.

What was the purpose of the fem MC again?

But you can? P3P allows you to do SLs with the male members if you play FeMC

Shinji stuff

>all these people recommending p3p over FES
FES is the the definitive version. The only reason why anyone should play p3p is to play as Femc, and should be reserved for a second playthrough.

Shut up P3Pfags, we've already established that FES is best for first playthroughs and P3P for subsequent ones.

FES lets you SL Mitsuru, Yukari, Aigis and Fuuka

P3P lets you SL Mitsuru, Yukari, Aigis, Fuuka, Akihiko, Junpei, Ken, Shinji and even the fucking dog

Keep in mind you're the one that said FES has the superior social links.

No one cared about The Answer anyways.
It's shitty fan fiction.

Why do people shit on Ken and Fuuka's voice acting so much? I mean they weren't great,but they weren't piss awful either,It's not like giving Ken a squeeky ass voice would of been better.

>Akihiko, Junpei, Ken, Shinji and even the fucking dog
Which are exclusive to the non-canon FeMC

FES has better original SLs

>shitty fan fiction
Which is canon, compared to P3P

I really didnt mind either of them, but then again im not a native english speaker.

The answer had good story,the shitty thing about It was that It was 24/7 tartarus

>I'm just going to ignore SLs if they're inconvenient to my argument
OK.

>implying I'm ignoring them

I'm just saying they are non-canon and were added to FeMC as a bonus for people that already played the base game so they can see another side of their teammates

It's great for a second playthrough if you want more P3 in your life, FES is still the definite version for anyone starting out

Persona 3 FES all the way.

P3P should be used only after you played the game already.
While it has much more features, the lack of 3D completely ruin a lot of cutscenes and lots of scenes doesn't deliver the feeling they were going with it.
Also the translation also have some mistranslated shit that makes it confusing to understand.

Fuuka's va sounds like when a teacher calls on a student to read and they're worried about mispronouncing something in front of everyone so they overly pronounce every syllable instead of talking like a normal person.

I've only played P3P, but I really loved it. Could play as a chick and get my husbando life on.

>people listing The Answer as a pro for PS2

lmao

Don't listen to all the shitters telling you to play the ps2 version.
The reason they gave you the ability to control your party members is because the MC is supposed to be the leader
P3P is way better

>Which is canon

Sure buddy.

>Someone asks which version is better
>FES because it has The Answer

>Any other time
>The Answer is complete shit, don't bother playing it.

>honestly thinking the answer isn't canon.
Are you retarded by any chance?

>The Answer isn't canon because I say it's not
Ok pal

>Caring about canon in Persona 3
I sure am glad my character was mentioned in those fighting game spinoffs.

Portable's the way to go if you want a light RPG with some fundamental mechanics.

FES is the way to go if you want more graphical fidelity and action, but with a clunkier combat system that focuses more on issuing tactical commands to your party and hoping they respond properly. You've no control over them otherwise.

The Answer should just be watched on YouTube, since only the neckbeard otaku give enough of a shit to actually play it. It makes for a better movie anyway. Story does link into the Persona 4 fighting games, somewhat, but

>caring about the story in two loosely related spin off fighters

>P3's MC dies to become the seal that protects the world from death but that's not explicitly revealed to the rest of the cast
>In The Answer they actually see the MC's body used as a seal to the door
>In P4 Margaret mentions her sister Elizabeth quit her job as an assistant to find a way to free the "blue haired boy" from the seal

Totally not canon guys

Fuck it, I figure I might as well answer here.
Are Social Links mandatory? If so, are there ones I should be prioritizing?
I just want to fuck up demons in dungeons, but this VN bullshit keeps worming its way in.

Social links give you a major xp buff in fusions, it's not strictly mandatory but you'll be gimping yourself severely.

Play SMT if you don't want the VN side of things.

Every kind of demon has a certain s.link attached to it.
Just fuck people in the ass and their certain aligments of demons will recieve their base of steroids EXP based on the level of your s.link.

I didn't say it wasn't canon, I said canon doesn't matter since the games are barely related.

You'd probably enjoy SMT more than Persona then. They're not mandatory, but they are a large part of the game.

>Play SMT if you don't want the VN side of things.
>You'd probably enjoy SMT

I think I'll dip in to mainline after this. My only other experience with SMT is Soul Hackers

So it's purely an addition to XP? Eh, nothing a little grinding can't fix.

Nocturne is a great game to start after P3

So, is Tartarus only there to grinding for the full moons? Is it as important as the npcs make it out to be? I'm trying to figure out how I should manage my time.

Each S Link also gives you the ability to fuse a new Persona once they're maxed out, but they're pretty hard to make even then and I didn't even fuse any of them during my first playthrough.

You need to reach the top to get the good ending.

Go as far as you can til you get to the boss floor

Eventually you'll be able to clear the month's portion in one go, leaving the rest of your free time for slinks and other shit

Pretty much. The endgame sequence takes place in Tartarus too though, so you should be keeping up with how far you are able to advance in the dungeon.

Some SL might get fucked if you ignore the rescue things

you should atleast play fes before the psp version. fes is how the game should be played. psp is fucking unbalanced now that you can control party members.

As if the Answer is worth playing.

>His friends watch him play turnbased rpgs
Riveting.

Why does canon matter so much to you guys? You played the game and experienced whichever MC you played, that's your 'canon'. Personally I preferred FeMC, changed the whole atmosphere of the game for the better imo.

Also, lesbians.

>Also, lesbians.

Seriously.

>muh canon

>So it's purely an addition to XP? Eh, nothing a little grinding can't fix.
The bonus is actually real nice because it does actually two things
-On maxed link, demon will gain shit like 10 levels likes it's nothing.
-At maxed social link, you also unlock a special combination to summon their "ultimate persona"
If you max Emperor,, as example, you will unlock the ultimate Persona Odin.
It's good shit.
I still suggest to go trought Persona 3 FES for the 3D cutscenes trought.

Watch the VN segments on Youtube and save yourself the 80+ hour chore simulator attached to it.
Alternatively watch the anime

Bump

Is there an option to change to JP audio on the ENG version?
Could I use my ENG save file on a JP ISO for PPSSPP?

>And the girl story is shit, basically is generic harem were every characters gets his development destroyed because their only motivation to live is to get under your skirt.

But user, it's the same for boys.

non-canon isn't really a crticism.

Something not being canon doesn't make it good or bad, it just means it probably won't be referenced in future games.

FES would rather give you the opportunity to learn more about the life of some perpetually angry fatso then your own comrades.

no but you could probably run the undub and use your save file

Should i play PS2 P4 or P4Golden?

FeMC is far more likable than M MC.

>Is there an option to change to JP audio on the ENG version?
I don't think so, I don't remember it being there.
>Could I use my ENG save file on a JP ISO for PPSSPP?
No clue. I think user means using a patch to replace the audio in the Eng version.

For the love of god, play the PS2 version first

Portable is great, but only for a 2nd playthrough

Play Golden. It made the base game completely obsolete.

P4G if possible.

Golden has a ton of new content (though imo a lot of it is quite bad) but is kind of a joke in terms of difficulty. For better or worse though the new additions, at least judging by the Arena games, are the new canon.

As someone who played both, go with P3Portable. You lose some of the charm of the 3d models interacting during talking segments but other than that it's a way better experience.

I had a LOT of AI problems in the answer.

But I guess it's the answer so fuck it

Golden, no contest.

There is no lesbianism, fucking degenerate.
MC female is an adjusted female who know her value.

Should i buy bronze or Gold?
Don't ask stupid question

>spitroasted by Shinji and Akihiko
>not degenerate

Really, nigga?

>bruh

Best girl

a+ taste user
i wanna protect her