What is the formula for the perfect horror game?

What is the formula for the perfect horror game?

If you pause the game too long you get jumpscared.

Jumpscares everywhere.

Decent writing.

Monsters don't kill you to the point they become frustrating.
By the 4th attempt you have to do to survive a monster it stops being scary.

The one with dead lottery for players that finished the game.
One on 10k players is gonna to die in horible way.

Monsters have to be unsettling to look at.

I think you need to have compelling gameplay mechanics aside from the horror. You need to be doing something that occupies your mind because, in good horror, spooky stuff tends to be paced out. Some of the best horror games have puzzles and survival mechanics that keep you occupied. That way you're not just sitting there waiting for the next scare.

Developers these days have gone to streamlining everything, which involves taking out all of the non-horror mechanics. They fucked up because if the only thing in the game is horror the limitations of that horror become a lot more obvious and the player is constantly expecting them.

tl;dr - pacing

Is that brianna wu?

Atmosphere.

DMC1 was way scarier throughout the game than FnaF, for example.

What if you only get 3 attempts and then the game deletes itself.

Make you paranoid about your next decision and everything you do,like opening a door and not knowing what to expect,or pressing a button absolutely terrified,that one steam game was pretty good at it,and it wasnt even an horror game,i think?

This.

It'd get annoying.

How many different monsters would the game need?

Good writting, good monster design that both disgusts and intrigues the player, minimal reliance on jumpscares, good atmosphere.

A creepy girl with long black hair covering her face

I think you'd just have to titillate the most primal fears of man by including ancient demons and misleading the player into making bad decisions throughout the game, but this is just my personal opinion.

This is true, tue fucking music too.

You play as your mom's tampon.

That's on the top of my list. Like there is something wrong with the world, but you can't put your finger on it. And the monsters have to look like they don't belong, but have to be real enough, if you catch my drift.