How's the progress on that game your making Cred Forums?

How's the progress on that game your making Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/476530
onehourgamejam.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=BOo9e8ofPXk&feature=youtu.be
blog.humblebundle.com/post/69091447128/humble-weekly-sale-is-here-featuring-oddplanet
youtube.com/watch?v=ncxQQk3p5Fc
youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=T_e0I88nA64
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry–Howard_correspondence
ioribranford.itch.io/demonizer
pastebin.com/rk2YxSG6
dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8rgSkjI08
youtube.com/watch?v=KmcQvTgc2wY
clyp.it/sef30cgp
clyp.it/knyqqbov
clyp.it/hbfb4cqu
soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/souls
soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/conqueror
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/walk-alone
opengameart.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've got some details in a Word doc. That's about it.

quoi?

I've just released mine.
store.steampowered.com/app/476530

I'm going to make this small and big slope shit work eventually. Someday.

Adding stuff i originally wanted to do later, just to avoid making my main character now, because creating the main character seems like such a scary and big task.

come back when you support the best language

It looks nice user, good job!

>writing code
>it all comes together after 2 days
>bunch of bugs
>fixing them requires spaghetti code
>or starting over from scratch
well there go 2 days worth of work

>using blueprints
Why

>using blueprints
huh?

I assumed you were using them because >sphaghetti code
Anyway just run a debugger and see what is going wrong where. Then just add a few more conditions so the bug doesn't happen.
Solves 90% of the problems

>Then just add a few more conditions so the bug doesn't happen.
yeah that's what I'd like to avoid
extra unnecessary conditions that will fuck around with things I want to implement in the future

I made a bean sprite

looks just like my slime sprite

Share some keys, and how much did it cost you? Only the 1k for greenlight?

If they prevent bugs they aren't unecessary
Then your only option is just to redo everything from scratch and pay more attention on what you do

I've got a rectangle that moves, jumps, dashes, air dashes now.
Working on attacks.

onehourgamejam.com/
Going to participate again this evening :3

>all games about squares/stolen assets with only basic movement
No thanks

Hello friend

How's my class tree?

Heres that finished bean sprite you ordered, sir.

You know, it's hard to make anything better in 60 minutes.

I finished adding delta time support now, it still breaks down when running at 30 FPS but whatever.

I'm a fucking horrible artist will that stop me from making a good game?

Nah it was a waste of time. Zero talents, zero potential, is just fucking neckbeards gathering with no gain.

this was one of the jam games made in under 60 minutes

>Stolen basic Mario platformer ideas
>Random playstore shit
Yeah shit.

Working on grazing system. Successful grazing build-ups special stat that let's you use special moves or buffs you, depends on your character equipment

So Bayonetta´s bullet time?

This looks neat. Tell me more.

Mario? lol

That's not Mario.

>got both of these from humble bundle
>didn't use either of them

Looks p good my dude

>How's the progress on that game your making Cred Forums?
Making essential assets so no game yet
I'm unable to work with placeholders

You mean witch time? I only played the first game and witch time just lets you attack the enemy while the time is stopped if you evaded an attack.

Grazing system is more gradual - you slowly build-up the stat, and if even one bullet hits you - your grazing score nulls. When your grazing score reaches a curtain level, you can spend it, for example to buff your damage or something like that, and each usage deplets your grazing score.

It's an action game where you need to shoot enemies in Killer7/Time Crisis type of battle system and explore locations in style of Yume Nikki and Dark Souls. Sorry for namedropping, but that's the main sources of inspiration. There is also a neat system where you create new locations from an item and can alter these locations, using special items, to increase enemy power(which gives you better loot), or to access the location in another time for plot reasons, for example.

>thread starts with GameMaker
>38 posts already and no one shitposted about it
Why are Unitards so Cancerous, Cred Forums?

ehh...
if anyone is intrested i can post the place where i put up the early version of the game

You mean the memers.
I like unity but I don't shitpost about it

>Shitposting because no one's shitposting
Why are you here?

because GM is an inferior IDE

What the fuck is this pseudocode garbage

>code

Since when did humble bundle have Fusion 2 to give for a dollaro?

>Everyone is having a good thread
>HEYY WHY ARE THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE CANCER AND WHY ARE THEY NOT HERE?
Why are you such a fucking cancer?

i think it had the TGF2 freeware version without licensing, not full MMF2 developer

>godotengine.org

What´s the point then? Might as well pirate.

its almost like you get what you pay for

A bit complicated, but as long as stuff's easy to get to in-game sounds good
I like being able to find a class that does exactly what I want

pls dont quit making this game

I won't, at least I hope so. I will upload demos when I have more to show

Completely redoing the haunted house level (along with a ton more) They just aren't matching the quality I want. Any ideas for the Haunted house level?

youtube.com/watch?v=BOo9e8ofPXk&feature=youtu.be

I'm curious about your project. What is it about?

I finished my game. Just need to replace my shitty developed graphics with some real ones.

We're going to make 2 more small games and then make a big game, probably my a decent RPG

hoping to release a demo before halloween

This looks a thousand times better than your other levels, minus the gears at least- Maybe it's the color selection or the lighting, but it's great. Kinda clashes a bit with your character though

This looks cute as fuck. I remember your game and I must say that your art became better - game looks pretty, I like the retro style of unfiltered textures. Keep it up. Also let players to choose different skins for the player character - or, better, make special power-ups that changes his texture - the simplicity of his figure can be easily transformed into different characters using the texture alone.

Thanks, mates. I just put down the gears to see how they looked animated. The player will most likely have a texture change depending on which level he's in (maybe a suit in this level) btu He's kinda meant to clash with the level to show that you're far away from home.

It has a small bit to do with the story.

wat?

I don't know what version it was, but it was a in a weekly bundle a couple of years ago.

blog.humblebundle.com/post/69091447128/humble-weekly-sale-is-here-featuring-oddplanet

I just realized I have two unredeemed games from this bundle. I'm not sure how that happened.

not sure what is wrong with the thumbnail

I plan on making it a classic SNES-ish platformer game along the lines of the DKC series, Yoshis Island and Super Mario World.
With pre-rendered graphics like Rareware did back then.

I don't want to reveal to many details about characters and story yet.

But the main goal is to make it some sort of 16 bit platformer, but probably add some things that weren't possible back then like for example some light effects like the crystals' light in the webm to make it a little more modern.

and that's why you write design docs before even touching code

Sounds pretty good. I hope to try it soon. Good luck user.

Sounds like you didn't even start yet

I'm still writing a design doc, but the gist of it is that I'm working on an RPG that is heavily inspired by classic NES/SNES titles

Protip:
if it's your first game, you don't need a design document.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think it's more of a stylistic thing, some people need a structure while others can work without it.

Glad you like it, but it still got a very long way to go.
And thanks for the good luck!

Webm shows some of it.
Yeah I'm still at the very beginning with it. It'll be my first 2D unity project, before that I only did 3D.
Right now it has some basic stuff, movement, animation, 3D water effect, parallax backgrounds, thunderstorm effect.
Spent some time getting the pre rendering right for pixel density and color limitations.
I also want to do more planning before i actually work the stuff out and put something on the screen.
My roadmap is kinda like this:
>Have rough concepts and characters / environment stuff in mind
>Create rough first test level with original content
>Plan out most of the game
>Start public dev blog
>Work out all the stuff on the plan and adjust things according to feedback if it fits.

currently at step 2.

help

my game resolution is 480x270 and since I implemented length/direction based movement diagonal movement is very choppy

should I increase the resolution?

What are the rules on Cred Forums if you'd like feedback and discuss your games in your own thread? Can we make threads for our own games alone?

You should probably post in /agdg/ in /vg/, self-promotion is frowned upon

Can I at least post a webm in a general webm thread?

are you upscaling a 480x270 buffer?

pardon?

are you rendering to something with a native resolution of 480x270? in that case i don't know

I'm not a mod, so take what I say with a grain of salt

Don't do anything that comes off as you trying to use Cred Forums to promote your brand or your game. If you want to post a webm that's probably fine, but making your own thread probably isn't.

Again, I'd highly recommend going over to /agdg/ because Cred Forums isn't really the place for this.

You will attract a lot of shitposters if you simply do it like that or gets no attention at all.
Offer free keys to your game in your OP image.
Then you will get some good will in return.

I'm not upscaling anything if that's what you're asking

the window is 480x270

>the window is 480x270
why

if you let people upscale it to their native monitor resolution or whatever, you can draw non-static objects afterwards and interpolate them

I can say I spent a dollar on something I probably won't have time to bother finishing anything with since I have to write a biography of Shigeru Miyamoto for a uni paper. It was that, Elvis, or Ice Cube.

>no unity homer

Ice Cube is a pretty chill dude though

youtube.com/watch?v=ncxQQk3p5Fc

Blancodev got banned for a few days because of advertising, I think only threads about finished games can be posted, so just stick to dev thread or /agdg/

I'm making a shitty pixelshit game for the first time I have no idea what you're talking about user

you can resize the window or make it fullscreen if that's what you mean, but the port is 480x270

currently making a city of undead that'll work as one giant dungeon.

I was supposed to do it yesterday but I accidentally made this coin stacking minigame instead.

PROGRESS AND PRIORITIES!

youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y

I guess he is, but Shiggy was the only one that had anything to do with digital media, the subject of the course.

I'm following the Gunpoint guy tutorial, but I'm also employed and looking for a different job so, subtracting the time for vidya I'm advancing slowly.

I think the music in general needs better mixing.

window size is important because you can interpolate between in-game pixels if the internal resolution is lower. this uses 16x16 tiles internally, but scales to 32x32. that means you have twice as many pixels for moving your characters without choppiness

so you're saying I should double my resolution and upcale every sprite by x2?

thing is it's not even for advertising, I just want to discuss gameplay and ideas. It's sad that it implicitly counts as advertising.

come on man you bought a fucking ad on here

im not blancodev

I bought an ad on here cuz I wanted to. Why is that such a big deal? Let me waste my money however I want to

It's prone to become Reddit if so.

"Hey guys whats up?! I'm making a game and want your feedback(although I won't give a shit I just want you to click this link I'm posting here fuck you"). Also this is my link to my Kickstarter since so many of you asked for it the last time(noone actually asked for it and the thread died within 1 minute)."

ffs.. why do webms have to be under 3mb..

I've never made a webm before.

webm for retards

will try. thanks

For some reason my camera controls get stuck and I can't work out why. They all work if I just play with them, but if I just cream the "WASD" keys for a couple of seconds I can get it stuck moving in a certain direction. This fixes if I press the button that corresponds to the direction its stuck in. I have no idea how to fix it. By the looks of it, when I do it really fast the game thinks that one of the keys are still pressed down, when it's not. Probably gonna have to hit up some forums again tomorrow to get it fixed.

Just comment out sections of code starting from the beginning of the camera controls until the bug occurs. Now that you know what is causing the trouble work it out.

Your character is very nice but it clashes hard with the world, you fix that.

every time i try being productive i end up having a fap instead

>as the game progresses BLANCO starts to slowly fill with color
>gets back home
>his world is black and white
>color slowly fades out of him and he realizes how mundane his life really was before his adventure
>decides to go on more adventures

there i just made you an entire franchise wheres my cut

Try living in a small house with your parents. You suddenly become a lot more productive!

I'll give it my best shot, but he's meant to clash with the worlds.
any examples of what I can change on the character so it isn't that bad?

>self-promotion is frowned upon
what's the fucking point of these shitty threads then?

>Cred Forums hates games
>encourage each other to make games
>hate each other for promoting their games

nevermind, this is the most Cred Forums thread ever.

2 cents shall be sent via PayPal

How hard would it be to translate CUHRAYZEE in a top down with some knowledge of game maker?

There's a difference between just posting your shit and trying to use Cred Forums as a platform to promote your shit

Hyper Light Drifter was made in GM, so it's possible

I think it's fine. Maybe you could make the first level a blanco world, where everything fits his proportion and colour scheme?

If you have a good idea on how it will all work it's not TOO difficult, just have a shit ton of states. Getting a clear idea of how it'll work is the hard part though.

I mean full on CUHRAYZEE not that shallow and boring shit that hyper light drifter has.

I made this 3 years ago

How expensive is a Cred Forums ad? Also doen't the majority of people here use adblock?

Underwater horror adventure. Yes/No?

not him but living in a 3 room apartment with them doesn't stop me from fapping up to 3 times a day

I'm not a huge fan of that camera angle, to be honest, but it could very easily work.

not everyone uses adblock and I sure hope you are a drawfag if you want to do advertisements

>try to program throughout the years
>never get far because I didn't know how to planning game systems was a thing
>come to conclusion that programming was beyond what I could do
>years later try again
>now realize that programming itself is easy as fuck if you plan your systems with a mind map or something

holy fuck just shoot me

you can be really happy if you get even close to hld
you'll slowly come to realize this as you try making your game

That's what his home world is supposed to look like. the hub was just to get to different levels.

>Blanco is youngest in his hometown

>all people in town have their own color once they reach a certain age

>player is asked what their favorite color is at start.

>They get this color by going on their own journey to find it

>Blanco is finally coming of age to finally get his color, and his adventure is the start of the game.

pretty basic stuff, but it should work ok.

Trying to get my webm below 3mb at the moment for more gameplay. Camera has been redone over and over, there's some issues I agree. I think this was a good compromise.

Oh yeah baby, I'm all in on this bad-boy.
I'm fine with the camera angle - maybe make a fog or war or make the game darker so you can't cheese the camera to see into the next room?

Also, as a general rule, I will throw money at the next bastard to produce a tank controls horror game with the third person fly on the wall camera

The Apache gives off a strong Terraria vibe, good job

Working on attack animations for Kikaigui.

I swear 80% of the work is getting the resheath anims right. I tell you, whenever I make my next game, I'm making a fundamental change to the rigging system and blending systems that make recycling draw and resheath anims much easier.

Or just doing away with those anims entirely and going with "weapons materialize out of thin air" like 90% of melee-based games do.

in all the videos the game looks really fucking basic, the gameplay is fucking basic but even worse it looks way too easy, what's the point in playing this shit?

Fuck it. I'll just post the Youtube video. Gameplay right now is about 30mins. These are just snippets I did to create gifs for my portfolio, hence the weird cuts.

youtube.com/watch?v=T_e0I88nA64

Just shot coffee through my nose at this comment

Does GameMaker Studio have premade netcode to play your game online without having to do any work?

I have details written down, I know what I want to do but I don't know where to start. I want to take this seriously but I'm worried I'll jump in at the deep end, get overwhelmed and give up. Any recommendations on things to read up on to avoid doing that?

your timing is off
you need more slows and more fasts

you'll get overwhelmed either way

for starters, 2D or 3D game?

because it's supposed to be basic. It's in development, and is nowhere near finished.

Yeah, I handle that in-engine, actually. I've got a notify-based system that "sculpts" the attack playback rate. The advantage to doing it this way is it lets me tweak a lot of the tween frames during faster sections when editing the anims, and I can make adjustments to the "arc" of the movement speed through iterative testing during the actual gameplay.

That and his keyframes are posed like shit

when it comes to animation its all about timing, spacing and poses.

Pose your characters properly so they don't look like they're in the special Olympics, or some 300lb neckbeard who just bought a katana.

Looking good bro - the only thing I'd say so far is maybe have some response to the scares from the protag(?) by increasing his breathing, or making him have a sharp intake. At the moment, he comes across as the chillest motherfucker at the bottom of the ocean.

let's see some of that in action user

no, you should let the players decide their own window resolution. however, you should interpolate movement according to the disparity between resolutions. as an example, if the user wants to scale it up to 1080p then it'll animate even more smoothly

You're gonna fail/give up on your first 5-10 projects so get started. Don't believe me? Come back in 3 years and tell me I'm wrong.

Yeah it also has a module that downloads your ideas from your brain and makes them into fully fledged AAA games

it will never improve

I remember reading that your process is based on waiting for the composer to make music and then you make the levels for the music

then in the youtube video comment section when a dude complained about the music not fitting the level you wrote that it's up to the composer to match these things

not only that but this process of yours has apparently kept you from getting shit done as you are waiting for the music, you could have used that time to improve the level design and at least adding obstacles or some challenges or something

I got GameMaker Studio on a humble bundle - how do I get started? Are the guides on GameMaker good enough for people that know nothing about code, or are there better resources for learning about game design out there? My only benefit right now is that I kinda know how to draw.

Haha yeah! I actually have breathing sound that's to be used when the character gets scared or shit happens. Breathing is also supposed to be in sync with the amount of air you got. Last 30 secs the character holds her breath and slowly suffocates unless you're able to find a refill station. That's the idea at least...

heartbeast on youtube

Ignore the naysayers. What I'd say to you is concentrate on nailing down your mechanics first and the gameplay. The art can be sorted it out later, but if you throw out a great looking game that's shit to play, it's gonna flop or worse, you might get a job offer at Telltale games. There's billions of tutorials online and some inescapable, universal things your game needs. Your game needs a camera, controls etc. Use tutorials online of the engine that you need to create these, and then you'll get more comfortable and be able to push yourself further.

Add giant sea creatures, cut down on the walking sim parts

if you really want to go the extra mile have her do that breathing technique that completely empties the lungs of all air and then have her get one huge breath and hold it in. I also think 30 seconds is too soon. It should happen later, that is unless you're factoring in the breath held to the timer.

Start by working on something completely unrelated, like recreating pong and asteroids and some other simple arcade games. Otherwise no matter how much you will plan, it will all quickly go to hell due to a lack of experience and your game will be a bunch of very sloppy programming/design and compromises.

There is a giant sea creature! Fuck.. I wished I had the full gameplay on this comp so I could you you.

I've abandoned that method a while ago for that exact reason. I have plenty of songs now, so that isn't even an issue anymore.

The levels don't have a ton of obstacles since they aren't finished. I'm building the basic layouts and structures with a few enemy placements for testing. Everything will go under a big change in difficulty and challenge once the levels designs are built.

Working on how the boss picks its attacks. Each attack has its own 'card' that gets shuffled when each one is executed at least once. Just before shuffling the list, it calculates which move it hit you with the most, and adds a duplicate of that card to the deck, increasing the odds of that attack happening again before reshuffling. In addition to that, under specific conditions it will do a different attack, but after that attack is done, it goes back to the attack list.

The list has a hard cap of 99 but that should be theoretically impossible to reach given that your max HP will not go over 200.

Thanks user!

I've been porting my Construct 2 game over to GMS to learn a proper coding language. At some point I started thinking about expanding the game, then to making a whole new game. So while I remake all the behaviors of the C2 original, I have been dipping my toes into Game Maker's 3D capabilities.

Okay.

This video is sort of out-of-date but it's the nearest webm showing off "overall gameplay" that I have on hand, so here.

I'll take your word for it. Which one is it? Kraken? Whale? Serpent? Something else?

That's exactly how the mechanic works.
The 30 secs is how long you can hold your last breath, not how long the tank is able to sustain you, or maybe that's what you meant?
It's hard balancing the level design with it being a walking simulator and having long air time. If you have big air supply, then you gotta spend more time outside the base and that means more events and that means more time for implementation and not also so it feels like you're just feeding events to the player. It's a fine balance.

oh right, I remember this game
actually looks much better in game

Something else. Looks like a huge thing with tentacles behind it when it swims.

I thought you said she holds her breath at 30 seconds left

i need to get some sleep

I hope so

don't be deluded by these fucking hugbox comments, so far your game doesn't even show any promise

that's a really inefficient way of doing a weighted random pick

You people think that anyone wants to PLAY your shitty games. Much less BUY THEM?!?

You and me both. I'm dead tired. have been working on my portfolio all day from early morning. When I press Submit here, I'm not sure what I even said so it might as well be me writing nonsense.

Thanks!

When I started I tried to tweak timing in Blender but since keyframes can only be placed at 1/60th intervals, it can be tricky to "bend" things right, and it's a LOT of close-UE-open-Blender and back and forth and back again.

So I now just tweak float values (playback rate 0.72, at this frame 0.9, at this frame 1.23, etc) and play a lot until the feel is right.

Probably better to do it this way anyway since it's not just about the animations looking right, but feeling right in response to button presses.

Can I still program if I'm terrible at math? I'm not talking about normal levels of terrible, I'm talking about an EXTREME level of terrible.

No, but you MIGHT be able to script.

people are allowed to like something, but the game doesn't have much to show since I don't have it made yet.

Much more will be finished by next year. Most likely 2018 if I'm not satisfied with it.

Does anyone know a good crash course for game maker?
I plan on learning it in 2-4 weeks.

how extreme? you need to know how order of operations work at the very least

not really

people will tell you that you can just fine but it's simply not true, you can do some really simple shit without maths but that's about it

making simple games with tutorials should be possible using popular game engines

Find some friends online who can help you with difficult things like vectors, quaternions and shit like that.
You don't need to be a pro at math to creat game logic. Also, your math skill will improve.

>but the game doesn't have much to show since I don't have it made yet.
then why the fuck are you shilling the game all over Cred Forums? I haven't seen anyone promote themselves as much as you do in years and your game looks basic as fuck.

Depends on what you want to do. Making a simple 2D game in Game Maker won't require much out of you but it is handy if you want to do things efficiently.

It's been a while since I've been to school, but the instant I lost all my math abilities was freshman year. Algrebra.

I was the top of my class in math during middle school, but as soon as I got to highschool it's like my inner retard awoke when it came to math.

I don't know any better, and the general idea is to prevent the boss from doing an attack 40 times in a row, unless it has duplicate attacks in there.

I'm a big fucking retard. Teach me how to know be that.

There's GMnet, though you still have to make some work yourself.

>quaternions
you dont need to know how to use these unless you're doing complex 3D rotations

yeah but honestly no one truly likes your game, they're lying because they are typical faggots, it has nothing, the only good thing about is the music

I don't even get why it takes you so fucking long to get shit done

your game looks like some prototyping made in a week using unity

start making your undertale clone immediately and as soon as you are stumped you google a solution

Thanks for the advice, I've been writing down game ideas for years as a hobby and I feel like I should finally do something with them, Most of them I realised were never going to be good or were too ambitious but there's about 4 ideas that have stuck with me for years that I've been expanding on and refining
I'm too attached to them to start with them and risk fucking them up while I have no experience so I'll try making some unrelated simple stuff until I'm comfortable with it

If you want to get technical, programming IS math.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry–Howard_correspondence

you can make 2D games with middle school math knowledge. you just need to be willing to learn instead of calling yourself a retard. for example it helps to know how to turn an angle into co-ordinates using sin and cos. it's a simple thing to do and you can learn how in 5 minutes but if you just say "oh im terrible at math" you're going to artifically limit yourself

Because the thread is asking how progress is coming along, and I post pictures of what I recently created.

>basic as fuck.

yea, you've said that before. I get it.

It's okay if you don't like the game. some people do, some people don't. but my whole life isn't riding on this project, so I couldn't care less. Like what you want, mate.

I'm goin to sleep, so no more responses.

Jesus Christ, what a tirade, leave the guy alone, leave him alone to make his game. You're being a total cunt to some random user on the internet. If you don't like it that much, just ignore it. Go back to kicking puppies in the road and being no-fun to talk to at parties.

that's a dude right

I guess nobody liked user's game so he picked on other user's game to say "Actually nobody likes you!"

I hate when people delude other people for the sake of making them feel better than they are

take fucking look at reality and be real for once

if you keep saying shit looks good the creator will never do anything worth while

I think it's better that he gets to hear how it is and gives up if reality is too harsh or even better decides to push harder

I dont even dislike your game, it even looks kind of fun, the point is it's extremely low effort and you won't stop fucking shilling it. Nobody fucking cares about your 'progress' and at this point it's just turned into blatant self-promotion for you

Yeah honestly I think it's all a head game. Whenever math becomes involved I automatically shit myself. It doesn't help that it all kind of snowballed so now I'm known as that guy who can't do math among everyone I know.

A lot of it is I just glance over details, like I'll forget to carry over some shit like a negative sign, or a decimal while subtracting or whatever, except this encompasses everything MATH.

this is the gamedev thread you fucking retard

>tfw Windy Burn House was 3 years ago

Nobody praised his game like it's the third coming of Jesus Christ.
Most people say that it has a nice cute character and latest screenshots looks better than old - it means he improved the visual part of the game, and people noticed this.

You're basically saying "Don't give any sort of feedback to devs, notice only bad things"

c__'_
c_____
t__
d_____

He said he realises it's faults and he's working on it. He comes on here every so often for critique and when he asks, people tell him "Oh your level design is basic"..."Oh your character doesn't fit the scenes".
"so far your game doesn't even show any promise"..."it will never improve" aren't constructive, it's just being an asshole.

I'm not blanco dev, just trying to give the guy a break. As far as I can see he posts screenshots on his game on the gamedev thread, which multiple people do. If you don't want to see it, don't come onto the threads?

I've read the responses from many many threads and the youtube comments

I am extremely cynical but I stand by my words, people are overly polite about this shit

>he posts screenshots on his game on the gamedev thread
he posts it all the fucking time and makes a big deal out of what amounts to "my first unity game"
if he were just like any other poster nobody would be giving him shit for it

But I want to make a real game

I'm guessing the third word is "the", but other than that I'm stumped.

Lots of people come on here "all the fucking time", it's the only gamedev thread on Cred Forums. The only person giving him true shit is you?

well plan ahead how you game will function, like different systems, inventory etc.

whatever the game would have

like not programming just thinking about what the player would experience, then you move on to figuring how to make it work behind the scenes

CANT
something
THE
forgot his name desu

Undertale made over $5 million and it's not much better than anything I've seen in these threads.

Man brings me back to Warcraft 3 trigger editor.

Why nobody praise my game here? It's even shitier than blanco game, yes? Tell me the truth!

theres at least two people here giving him shit and like i said, if he were just an ordinary poster nobody would be giving him shit in the first place. I dont even dislike his game

you guessed C, T, D, A, N, H and bought the E?
spin the wheel again

C A N ' T
C _ _ N E _
T H E
D _ _ N E _

no, I'm complaining because people are saying it looks good for what it is which it fucking doesn't

as for improvement, at least make it a lot harder, by adding fast moving obstacles, enemies, tricky gaps, the basic good platformer memes, this lacks all of them

he might say he takes the suggestions but he never seems to change anything

DORNER

fuck its all coming back to me. still cant guess the other word for the life of me

I'm guessing it's "corner"

Trying to make a platforming system in gamemaker that supports slopes

Tried using the built-in physics but can't even get simple horizontal movement working without sliding all over the fucking place or being too physically "realistic".
All the slope code I see ends up making my character zig-zag or up a slope or flip into the "falling" animation every other frame.

spin or solve? you've got $5800 and half a car
quiet from the audience please

just as i said that

CORNER

fuck me it rhymes

im drunk as fuck so forgive me

Looks neat.
Seems cool, but not too into isometric. I think underwater horror is a bit untapped and needs more attention.
Str8 memein'
Looks neat
This looks cool, but think the character could look more different.
I give her lady dick 8/10
2cute I know I already referenced this one.
Not sure what i'm looking at
Looks better than most of the retro-like games I play. Metalstorm/10
Idk what this is, but it looks cool.

>Now you can hear MY idea for a game. Basketball horror game where the basketball is your only source of light.

Just do it the nigger way. When the character detects a slope subtract his speed until it reaches the speed you want for him to travel up a slope. Add to his speed when he's traveling down a slope.

I need to make some assets, and have an enemy team still, but I think this is going to work out fine

I have very little art skills, what can I do to compensate for this?

I don't get it

Compensate with cash to pay an artist

Was hoping for a solution that requires as little human interaction as possible

ok guys I'm about to do it. I'm about to make my first game. Any do's and dont's?

probably like 60 second hero or w/e You keep moving up and fighting shit, the bottom of the screen is a timer. Super original idea.

Prototype is out. ioribranford.itch.io/demonizer

use assets stores

If it's plain feedback I doubt anyone is gonna ban you as long as you play it cool and don't attention whore about it. Don't post links to your website, blog or anything that can be seen as trying to advertise. YOUR ASKING FOR FEEDBACK AND NOT ADVERTISING, it's that simple user. I've created several threads where I've asked for feedback and none have been deleted or gotten me banned, one even lasted 8 hours.

Man I'd totally fucking make your assets for your game for free if I knew how to do art. I'm the same way and want as little interaction with my peers as possible. However you're going to have to work outside your comfort zone if you lack the skills to provide what is needed. That or just start learning yourself. It will take time but it's time spent on yourself, and you deserve it.

I gave up.

I can code, I can compose, I can write.

But I definitely can't draw.

I tried to do something as simple as a minimap. Couldn't do it. It's too damn hard.

All I've wanted is an 16-bit style game. I guess I will recede and do a shit-tier 8-bit one. I can't do my 16-bit game alone.

How long have you been drawing?

Complete the game with placeholder assets then hire an artist, it's what I'm doing

its going alright. just about to have half of the cast completed.

Are people at all interested in first-person MMORPGs?

dont work with anyone who says they'd make their graphics for you for free without knowing a single thing about you or your game

That guy who does occasional threads for his ccg doesn't get banned. He also gives out free alpha keys to whomever posts their Steam IDs.

I'm the user that offered, but why?

Going okay, finished throwing together a test level and am now working on a boss

also adding in some new attacks

I've done pixel art before but I don't have any idea of how a palette or lighting works.

I tried to draw a fucking minimap TREE and it took me like four or five hours. I was aiming to do a minimap in this style.

I'm a poorfag that has 0$ as budget.

Give me a steam page or something so I can preorder.

Mayhem League dev, please tell me you have a blog or a twitter or so we here to follow you. I haven't seen your progress since the 2d sidescroll section transition

Fuck, forgot pic.

s'not up on steam yet. just a shitty website that also isnt complete. kerfuffle dot eye oh
i post about it on twitter more than anywhere. at RatCasket

Learn some technical knowledge like the color theory and all that shit. Now that you know that bend the rules.

It's all about knowing what you're working with and how you can bend it.

thats like just posting "im lonely I need a girlfriend" with no picture or anything and expecting a quality result from someone who replies

Looks great, im assuming its an adventure game?

Well I have been drinking and I'm a very nice drunk so you may be on to something.

its a fighting game bub

>I'm a poorfag that has 0$ as budget.
So am I, yet I am still working on it. With a demo, it is easier to get people to help you, then you just need to negotiate how the profit split will be once you sell it

I know that I have to read and research, but the matter at hand is time.

Currently, I only have one day at a week to work on the project. Most people drawing agree that drawing a tileset of pic related's caliber takes a shitload of time, and i need several of those. And it's not even a big game to begin with.

Add that to the fact that I also will be coding and testing and designing and in total, it will take me like 10 years or something to finish the project by myself.

It's too much, man

Well it's either cut back on your game, or your life then. That or get outside help, but you'll need money.

Honestly, fuck it. Make it on your own time. Have it be something to look forward to during the week. As long as it makes you happy who gives a fuck how long it takes.

Right now I'm in a big need for money (minimun wage-job, still haven't finished college and my family has financial issues) so the time I would spend working on the game would be better done doing something to earn me money in the short run.

I'm thinking to return to the project years later, once I have financial stability again. I only hope the concept hasn't be done by then. My main fear is that Nintendo eventually does what I'm wanting to do, and with the new Zelda that seems very likely.

Doesn't Gamemaker interpolate on its own? If I make a low-res project and blow it up to fullscreen and move the view around, it still looks smooth.

I drew the third boss

Looks cool

Looks like one of those hill things from SMB3.

Can I ask a question here, or will you just be mean?

these?

id fuck it

MODS

Bug off, you big NERD.

Yeah, those. Except without the hill sex.

Thanks user!

Amakamut is NOT for lewd!

No you can't you poop face

I finally got an attack state to work using a switch function. Except now when I press the attack button, it stays in the attack state looping the animation.

SEE!!! I knew you'd just be mean!

But, I work in gamemaker (yeah, yeah), and am struggling to find a clear answer about one fundamental question.

In building a game with levels, what is the process of designing something in photoshop or whatever, and then storing it for later? Do i need 100 "rooms," or can I put them in an array? How can i store them away to call when needed?

I don't really need a full answer, but i can't figure out the right way to word it in a google search.

Why does my videos captured with OBS look like shit?

increase your bitrate to 5000

should I start learning JavaScript or C#? I want to make a few shitty things in unity to get a grasp on actually making a fun game before I take a stab at making a real, good one. Which language is going to be more useful to me? and should I go unity or Unreal?

I was getting a lot of flak for the blur on the ears so some friends took a shot at fixing it. What's your thoughts on it? Keep it as is or use one of the transitions? Or do you have another suggestion to fix it

This looks very nice user! I wish i had my old programmer friends around to make a game with.

C#, Javascript is shit
Unity, Unreal is overkill to make shitting things with

I'm about halfway done to having a scenario/map editor.

C# and Unity
A good simple start
Unreal is too bloated

I prefer the second one. All three are an improvement though.

Yes. The going rate is 100 "rooms" to 1 photoshop, 75 "rooms" for an MS Paint and 25 for Paint Tool Sai. Any less and your arrays would become misaligned and need to be recalibrated. You could try 2 photoshops but that would require 200 "rooms" and you would need 2 licenses or it would violate the EULA

>C#, JavaScript is shit

Really? I heard the opposite, and that things were shifting more and more towards JavaScript, and realistically it was the more useful language to learn.

snek

more useful if you're doing web development maybe, but i don't think so for games
i wouldn't really know though myself

Small quality-of-life update. The mouse cursor now automatically starts on Exit when you enter dialog with someone. I could have done the first option, but it's safer to default to exit. Sometimes the first option involves spending money and stuff, so you don't want to accidentally click it. A lot of the time you will just enter and exit immediately anyway when you see they don't have anything interesting that you want.

JS is mainly used in web development. C# is the better general-purpose language

You could have multiple rooms and transition between them, or you could have one room that loads and unloads things based on events and the player's position.

looks good, how much does steam take on the price ?

Advance Wars with lolis? Holy fuck, take my money.

Right, what i mean is, how do i store levels away to be loaded into the room later?

a n t i a l i a s i n g

Have to reinvent the wheel in GML because it doesn't have rectangles or intersection function.

DUDE! You're still working on this?
I saw this thing on TIGforums a long time ago and as far as I remember there hasn't been much updates.
I'm not sure if I posted on your forum's thread, but let me tell you that this is looking really great so far. Love the bumpy animations specifically.
I still have the forum devlog saved on my bookmarks. Cheers.

advance wars didn't eat your units bro

game maker has had rectangles for over a decade

>GML
>it doesn't have rectangles

Nevermind I'm a retard: collision_rectangle()

I'm interested, keep us updated

Why are you doing collision checks with rectangles and not the ol' sprite mask, though?

Reminder to always check the documentation with F1 and searching for whatever you need before going to the internet.

Why are games so hard to make?

I just want to stop falling through the fucking floor!

Actually, sprite masks are generally choppy shit and there's a reason professional developers almost never use them. But Game Maker already has customizable bounding boxes built in, use those

because it involves a bunch of different things. you need programming, art and sound, and it's hard to be good at all of that if you're working alone

Why are you using precise mask sprites for physics collision? Just make a box and use that for a mask.

Does everyone in here do everything themselves? Or do you have friends or hire people to work with?

I dev alone~ ... Yeah-eah and nobody else~ ... ... and ehen I dev alone~ ... I prefer to be by myse-elf~!

no idea, I'm talking about rendering in general

Can I see you are code?

Even GameMaker professionals don't use the precise mask checking because it's shit for platforming, though it can get its uses.
Just do what said.

First one.

t. furry

Bullet hell in first person is real, my dudes

I'll show once I'm done adding in my rectangle collisions. Hopefully this prevents my falling through the level.

No blog, no twitter, I post here and /agdg/ when I feel there's progress worth reporting.

I always post my latest demo to my itch.io though.

whoa, metal warriors. :)

that's so cool

what kinda genre are you going for?
I'm assuming airdash/anime fighter?

That sounds like an awful idea.

Danmaku is based on narrow evasion, i.e. you need to be able to see where you are in relation to the bullets. Which first person makes literally impossible.

In order to do that right you'd need a really, REALLY clever system of HUD and/or audio-visual cues to indicate the position of the shots, and I don't see it.

I forsee frustration in the player's future.

That's what I just said. Unless you're suggesting drawing a fucking square in paint as a pixel perfect mask instead of using the simple bounding box editor, in which case you're retarded

I'm not even talking about Game Maker, I mean when I look you look at hit detection for commercial FPSes, fighting games, platformers, and basically everything else you see squares and cubes and ellipses and rays and cylinders and everything but pixel masks

>That sounds like an awful idea.
Not really, as long as the field of view is pretty big and there's some lenience when it comes to taking hits

Well.. I stopped falling through the floor but now I can fly. I'm eventually going for vector movement and alternative keybindings but this is what I have so far that's kept me in the level using rectangle collision instead of point: pastebin.com/rk2YxSG6

I don't know about pixel masks but for 3D at least, per-poly collision is sometimes used for certain checks.

Like, you would use capsule collision for player-to-world-geometry collision detection, but you'd raycast against the actual polygons of the player mesh to determine if a shot landed, rather than using the capsule collision.

There's good reasons to do pixel masks, I'd imagine, for certain kinds of hit detection, though I'd agree movement would be a terrible use-case.

So what are the limitations with Game Maker?

Too many animated sprites will kill your fps.

3D, that's it

if your game is 2D there's an astronomically small chance you'll actually hit gamemaker's limitations, you might aswell go play lotto the next day

That's not how you use delta_time, also get rid of collision_rectangle and place_free and use place_meeting instead

It took me 10 minutes to learn how to graze the bullets, without any gui helpers. Though I'm gonna implement them +audio cues

Typically bullets always deals less damage than other magic attacks or ordinary physical attacks, but they're harder to doge (bloodborne-style dodging with stamina mechanics helps). But some bullets can inflict abormal status build-up, like poison, so it's better to evade them and not trying to graze them for graze points.

But then it's not really danmaku, it's just sort of running away from slow projectiles. What makes danmaku work is that it's possible to OVER-dodge, that you have to serpentine between all of these shots from all directions to stay alive, not just "keep right" in these wide swaths.

I actually like the idea of mixing a 3D shooter with danmaku elements, but it would need to be a TPS to work really well. Nier, and especially Nier Automata, sort of get into that. But first person seems like it would just be more frustrating than fun since you couldn't position yourself relative to shots properly.

so I got the bundle. Where do I learn how to make games?

Was using place meeting before and I'm not comfortable having while loops in code that runs 60+ times a second. I know what you're getting at.

>graze points

Goddammit user make a TPS! That's such a smart fucking mechanic and I love it; it's like Witch Time meets Touhou, where narrow misses are rewarded especially highly to encourage risk-taking, but with a first-person perspective you're limiting yourself.

yeah man. still working on it. lots and lots and lots of changes.

Fucking spooky, somewhat reminds me of a nightmarish dream I had about Minecraft.

>here's this free software! It's archaic for no good reason. Here's a 100 page doc explaining why we'll never make our software's interface user friendly
>Throw us some suggestions! We'll never implement them. Read the documentation before asking ANY questions!

I'm not telling you to follow ShaunSpalding's collision tutorial, I'm telling you that place_meeting does the exact same thing you're doing with collision_rectangle but with superior readability.

Delta time does not depend on room_speed

You don't multiply by delta when multiplicating/dividing

what software are you making the music with? Sounds great.

>nicefinishedgameyouhavethere.fag

if you think godot is archaic and hard to use i'd hate to see you try a real game engine

No, the main gameplay inspiration is light-gun shooters (my main gimmik where you have to use mouse cursor to reaload and to use special devices is inspired by arcade light gun shooters reloading mechanic, where you have to shoot to the side of an arcade cabinet), besides, making a TPS is a lot more work (scripting and assets) and I can't afford it. And I just like FPS more than TPS (souls games aside)

same here. i feel like i have a handful of good ideas that are possible, i just don't have the time/urge to put any real work into it.

Looks good.

Pirated RPG maker MV because I felt like fucking around a bit. Probably gonna switch to gamemaker if I get serious about this idea I have.

>Souls games
>TPS
you wat

but okay, I'm sort of feeling the light gun thing. I kind of get it. I actually had an idea for a fourth kind of aiming zone in Mayhem League inspired by light gun cabinets and Mario Galaxy, where the game would use DMC-style fixed camera perspective and you would "aim" using a light-gun system with the cursor on screen, but I shied away from it due to problems with that kind of aiming when the character is center-screen.

Honestly I just like the idea of graze points so much I'm jealous, and I want to play that game, but I know I won't enjoy it if it's an FPS. So I'm being selfish.

>tfw you're an ideas guy without an ounce of code knowledge

Shut the fuck up already, an FPS danmaku game is perfectly possible to make.

>1k for Greenlight

Its 100.

I....I can't even go through the main menu :(

There are Doom wads that do it already

>mfw art guy that really digs pixel art but don't want to learn it because people hate pixel art

I know! That dude is just dumb.

place_meeting is working, thanks.

that's just entrancing to look at

>But then it's not really danmaku
Well, yeah, I was just bragging that in my game there are lots of bullets in a well known patterns and shit like that, but actually not all enemies uses bullets and this is not a core battle mechanic, enemies has other types of attacks (and there is other ways to get the 'graze' points, like parrying enemies like in bloodborne, for example), so I'm not making a FPS touhou game

>>TPS
>you wat
My bad, I also call first person walking sims an FPS, so here is that.

Oh, I'm not knocking precise 3D collision. Models match up to the things they represent pretty well, it's sprites that tend to be stylized and drawn from perspectives pixel perfect collision can't take into account.

The only games with 2D pixel detection I can think of are ones with destructible terrain and based entirely around it, like Lemmings and Worms. And even those didn't use pixel masks for their actual characters.

>but don't want to learn it because people hate pixel art
protip: people don't
a loud minority on Cred Forums does

What kind of pixel art?

anyone else walking around with an 'idea pad'?
whenever i think of something cool i can put in a game i write it down so i won't forget.

Remember that place_free only works with solid objects, you should also swap it with !place_meeting and get rid of solid objects altogether since you're implementing your own physics already.

Fix your delta time too, you'll thank me later. Correct formula is timescale*expected_framerate*delta_time/1000000

You can then change timescale to 1 for normal gameplay, 0.5 for slowdown and so on

You have to use powers when delta-timing multiplication

I don't hate pixel art but people kinda do
dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/

Nah, I get that. FPS = FP(game), TPS = TP(game).

And let me just say, no matter what else I or anyone else ever says about your game, graze points are such a great idea.

Are they just points? Is there an actual gameplay advantage to it? I have some ideas there (it's not uncommon for games to do little dramatic slowdowns during near-misses; mix that with the proper time dilation pulsing and chaining grazes could amount to you moving at full speed while the rest of the game is frozen in place, that would be cool as hell), but even just as a score mechanic it's so goddamn clever.

It's like risk v. reward boiled down to its purest form.

Right, Undertale was a total flop, and no one even played Hotline Miami, i think...

I like the art. What type of game is it going to be?

should be "a bad artist renounces pixel art"
people hate pixel art because its accessable so theres thousands of games with half assed pixel art
good pixel art still looks good

I literally have a degree in "idea guy", and i'd love to just manage other peoples design documents and teams for them, but nobody will hire me because i don't do art or programming, as though i'm supposed to be competitive in skill to those who dedicate their lives to those skills. UGHGHGH

is this a serious post

Pixel art didn't stop Terraria, HM and Stardew valley from making millions.

unfortunately, yes

not understanding =/= hating
you do you man, if you're passionate about your thing and work hard at it people will notice and jump on board

>tfw University takes up all my time and can't work on game
>Was having good progress until then

What engine is best for large titty simulation?

university is more important
you can still finish your game whenever
you can't get a degree whenever

>tfw someone (You)'s you 2 hours later
Thanks user

Thanks for the word user

I have a pretty complex design for 'graze points', where according to the player character equipment you can spend the points for different actions, like buffing current ammo in the mag, or using the point to dash with more invincibility frames, or some bizarre things like adding knockback effect on enemy with each bullet hit. But the score system will work like that - you gain points via grazing,and when grazing levels reach Level 1 - you gain the ability to spend graze points. I still haven't designed the player character upgrade system, but I guess there will be a stat that adds more maximum levels for grazing points storage - like, +3 maximum levels - so you can storage more points to use more special abilites. It's more like a 'Risk Points', because you do risky things to earn them.

>(it's not uncommon for games to do little dramatic slowdowns during near-misses; mix that with the proper time dilation pulsing and chaining grazes could amount to you moving at full speed while the rest of the game is frozen in place, that would be cool as hell)
This sounds great, maybe I will be able to make this into the game

well you're an idiot
you can't manage a team or a design document if you've never been in a position where you do the actual work you're telling people to do

>phlogiston
is it really that hard to say 'fire'?

>build-based
loving it

Still wish it was third-person, buuuut it sounds really fun.

what's to discuss? all it is is a faster contra

which is pretty much everything I ever wanted out of video games

How will I be able to find it? looks really interesting, I like how the mecha still takes damage even if you're not in it

Yeah
>tfw i knew
kill me

Fire is boring and I want to add some kind of outdated/mistic science vibe, in the world where people study ghost energy and summon demons on a scientific base

>>build-based
>loving it
I'm not going to make a soulslike level up system. Right now I'm thinking about adding some stats (for HP, for stamina, weapon accuracy, grazing, etc.), and you can level up them up to 5 times each. But the main thing is that you can level up, let's say, 15 times, so you can't reach all max stats, you have to decide which stat to upgrade. There will be a way to respec your character, if you want a different build, also I'm planning to add special items which lets you level up +5 more times. Though it's just a draft of my leveling system, still haven't decided a lot.

I'd post the link here I guess, I don't have social media accounts. There's still a lot of stuff I'd like to add before that happens though, like different mech parts and actual pilot gameplay

Hell yeah man, you're the exact type of person I'm hoping this game will appeal to. Not enough devs making run & gun games nowadays

>I like how the mecha still takes damage even if you're not in it
That was in the game he borrowed the sprites from, Metal warriors.

GameMaker's room-editor makes me go crazy

the stupid fucking grid keeps popping and snapping around and doesn't aling with the pixels of the background when moving the room

>He thinks managers and execs worked their way up from the bottom.

Use Tiled.

Honey select was done in unity and those titty physics are pretty good even with a modded slider.

you either get in on the ground floor when the company starts, you know someone, or you transition out of another discipline like art or programming. nobody fucking hires fresh game designers out the gate. Even then, a game designer who doesn't do at least gameplay programming is useless outside of big companies and big companies can afford to hire someone better

I made concepts.

So I hear that it's (obviously) easier to make a 2d game then a 3d game, but that Unity is an EZ-PZ engine.

If that's the case, would it be worth trying to use unity since its so new and user friendly even if it is 'more difficult' to make a 3d game?

do you WANT to make a 3D game?

is your ultimate goal to make 2D games or 3D games? If it's 3D use Unity, if it's 2D use Unity or a better suited engine. Unity makes 3D easy enough that you can start with it, but it'll be a while longer before you can produce anything valuable

I just don't get it. There are SO many people out there who want to make games and have ideas for them, and yet there are millions upon millions of trash indie horror clones or X-"Simulator" games that took someone at least a minor amount of effort to code, model, and create shit content for.

It just doesn't make any sense. How can people attain the skill to create these games but yet be so creatively bankrupt as to produce the worst trash imaginable?

Although I agree with you, I still want to die.

>mfw retarded poor person (me) gets 40000 in student loans because they're told by a for profit college they will find a job, guaranteed, but said for profit doesn't teach anything even remotely useful, and in fact emphasizes the learning of obsolete technologies, such as actionscript

making shit games is easy
making good games is hard

people are different

ask the creators of all the nintendo fan games that keep getting shut down.

well if you really want to be a game developer then learn a useful skill. your shitty for-profit college can at least be a starting point.

Looks like a mystery game or something.
Chick on the right is pretty hot. Are they supposed to be Japanese? Are you actually Japanese?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8rgSkjI08

Have some gamedev inspiration anons.

youtube.com/watch?v=KmcQvTgc2wY

Yeah, if you like giant robots Metal Warriors is great and has multiplayer with a variety of different mechs. The gameplay was kinda slow for me though, I'm going for faster paced action.

Most of the sprites aren't mine by the way, I thought it was obvious but it never hurts to be clear

>level: final
>shoujo wo tasukero

Looks interesting. I like the girls expression. What type of game you going to use it in?

I followed you and your pixel artist. Please don't follow me back. All I do is shitpost.

>tfw find an annoying bug that can become gamebreaking
>can't reproduce it
WHY

What is the bug?

One of my party members don't get poisoned, and it's only the same one no matter what position on the team.
But it only happened for one battle and I can't reproduce it no matter what.

This is why you need a debugger running at all times.

What engine are you using. Anything unique about the character programming wise?

Unity, and no, nothing really, the stats between all characters are the same, and it's a new save file.
Well I can only hope I will get through the bug again and try to solve it

Hm,well shit man good luck hope you can isolate and fix the issue.

If I want to make a 2d fighting game, what program should I be looking into?

I was thinking about doing a puzzle action platformer where you control a type of Frankenstein monster that can detach their limbs and control them. So you could have your arms go some where and press a button or something, but your main body then won't be able to use their arms, or their legs to go do something only they can do, but the main body won't be able to jump. Of course you could attach other severed arms to your body and do special things only those arms or legs can do.

I can't program at all though, so I should probably try something simpler.

Here's music.

clyp.it/sef30cgp

clyp.it/knyqqbov

clyp.it/hbfb4cqu

The plot centers around this wasteland that the magical community at large dumps their undead when they've served their purpose. The characters are chasing after a fabled potion of mortality that can restore them to their human form so they can live among humans once more.

Party member unit tests?

>bug keeps crashing the game randomly
>suddenly it stops
>pretend it never existed
gamedeving 101.

Mugen

What engine is the most friendly to full character creation for the player. Male or Female, tit sliders, etc.

Sounds good user. You can always try the limb thing,if you fail just try, try again.i like the plot concept aswell.

Any niggas wanna make a maple story clone with me?

Sounds like famitracker

What is that under her arm???

Yeah, I'm going to try. Ideally I could get a prototype for Halloween, but we'll see.

It literally depends on your programming skills I've seen God tier sliders from unity games and unreal games but game maker is only limited by 2D and the effort you put in to it.

Main theme: soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/souls

Final boss theme:soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/conqueror

Is this cool, or just stupid?

mo titeh

Cool, thanks. Any limitations I should know about beforehand?

that sort of thing is totally up to your abilities
no modern engine will limit you in doing that

Neat!

Was this actually in the game?

Welcome to programming.

What do you think?

design docs, what's that?

It's 2D only, and has a pretty bad reputation. If you make your own game from the ground up with custom characters, stages and music then you can certainly make something of quality

Look at serio's Castlevania fighter, he ended up making lots of little hacks here and there to get around some limitations and the end result is great.

You will never predict everything that you need.

>spaghetti code
if it works it works.

What do you think?

I downloaded GameMaker and that's about it since I don't know shit in programming.

always nice to see your stuff, kittens

though to be honest this isn't your best work. liked galaxis the best, stronger melody and progression and better balanced instrument volume and the like. also foe sho

I'm using unity and this is my intention, Currently I have made just enough character assets to swap shirts and gloves manually in the inspecter. Doing the swapping in code is will be no issue.

Made this for my game last night:
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/walk-alone

Aww c'mon man you know you can't compare any of my songs to Foe Sho; that's literally the best song I've ever made and we both know it

I am pretty proud of the melody for Galaxis, and one day when I have better software and musical knowledge I wanna remaster it. I always felt like it would be god-tier with some REAL electric guitars.

Knowing some Java and C, where should I start to make a simple 2D game at first? Which engine is good?

can you put a reverb or echo or something on the lead instruments to mesh better with the faraway metallic plinking

I have a dream game idea. It's kind of a big thing so I've only been writing down details/drawing concepts. It'll probably never release, but still fun to think about/design on paper.

What do you guys use to make your music and is it free?

Iwilldevouryourkittens reporting in.

I used to use Logic Pro, but due to a computer failure I had to switch to a program called Mixcraft, which is almost as good as Logic Pro and a lot cheaper. It's the one I currently use.

how do you install new instruments and sounds in logic pro? id like to find some more synthy and digital sounds

Thanks, i'll keep those in mind for later.

Looks good for 60 minutes user. Did you fly solo or work in a group

>How can people attain the skill to create these games

They haven't attained any skills, they've just clicked a few buttons in Unity.

It can be a lot of fun just to day dream and write and draw, but dont let the process intimidate you. Just start on a very small project and learn one thing at a time. I Believe in you user!!

>You will never predict everything that you need.
No, but that doesn't mean you should just start coding retarded shit without thinking about how you structure your data.

SDL is pretty good with C

Unity doesn't have drag and drop or visual programming like other engines user, it is code only

This is why you need to plan out your code, then work from there.

Pretty good! Just announced a livestream for next saturday and put up our Monster of the Week.

bulletcpu.com/crownsforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28

>yfw your old code

Badly.
I get overwhelmed when I try to figure out which engine and programming language I should learn.

Wait til you actually start working on it.
>music
>art
>coding
>single dev
Wew

I use FL Studio, which is always free (if you know where to get it)

Man if I ever stop being a lazy fuck and scare up some funds this fighting game with All Star Battle-tier dialogue might shape up okay

And this is why you comment your shit.

Think that might have been the point of the argument there

Anyone making a turn based strategy game?

Guys, what kind of game could use a hip-hop/soul inspired OST?

I'm thinking something along the lines of Kanye/Chance
At first I was thinking of a Detective game in an urban setting, but recently I got an idea for an MGS 1 kind of top down shooter in an urban cyberpunk setting

HOLY SHIT BOYS CLUB IS ON HUMBLE BOOK BUNDLE
RARE PEPES FOR LOW PRICE
BUYBUYBUY

>>

Still filling in the overworld. Almost gotten it to the point where I can focus almost entirely on the dungeons.

Reuploaded just for you

I dont know what games niggers play, fighting games?

A sci-fi game in space.

go with your heart

Would you play this game?

THIS is my dream right here. I want to download unity and get started but I just can't force myself to do it.

>unity
Is that what you should use if you make a turn based strategy game?

have you ever made anything besides that? Post something new

I would if you posted any progress in the last 6 months

they should make making video games easy like making vines, crackas hate it when we try to get ahead

>A sci-fi game in space.
this is actually an element I had in the second idea I posted.

It was about a ship carrying some of the remnants of humanity after earth is rendered inhabitable.
But the story took place centuries after and be about the living conditions on the ship.
basically the upper-class would be the crew members of the ship and descendants of the company that built it while the lower class would be poorer refugees aboard the ship.

No but it's easy and making some simple 3d models is my goal for ez graphics since I can't draw.

>No but it's easy
that might be a yes to me

I just started deving a game I usually have two issues that get me to stop developing (can't count how many prototypes I've made).

First issue is that I get bored. I like solving the main systems of a game or a prototype of them, and then get bored.

Second is I never have someone to work with, my programmer friends are all shit at programming outside of class and the game development club at my university isn't much better.

I have a few prrototypes but I'lll start out with my most recent.

A game that revolves around adventuring (2D game) and managing your adventurer party. So getting higher and higher tiers of "tin-copper-iron-gold-etc" rankings and taking on more and more quests. You'd have to manage your members, supplies, food, rations, and more. Meant to be a more intensive look at question basically.

The last one I wanted to work on was basically a CK2 type game in a fantasy world, with the game mainly focusing on the Deal system. Basically an expanded diplomacy system "I'll give you 1000 gold if you support me in the election" or "If he attacks me I'll give you 3k gold to come help" and "If you claim he is an imposter and not the real heir, I'll support you and give you this elixir of immortality".

Lastly was a 3D fighting game that would sort of play like Invictus. Low char pool, but interactive map and abilities. Chars had big health pools and cooldown based abilities so the game would rely on engaging and disengaging and the aim of the game was to have a 1v1 fight last around 2-3 minutes. So much longer fights with many parts to it, something like the Naruto Storm games, but obviously some core mechanic changes

Sorry, I was busy with personal stuff and couldn't make time for it. Just trying to gauge interest in the idea.

Happy to see you remember me, though.

neat, keep it up user

I've already played Lisa

honestly I would love a game where you an "official" onboard a giant space ship and the whole game was focused on internal politics and feuds with outside "events" like an asteroid full of water has appeared and basically you would fight with other people in power to try and get your men on the asteroid to get he water and assuming all goes well no you and your people (minus a percent of it to the whole ship) now have a lot of water.

You give it freely to the union of the mills of one of your competitors for office for the agreement that they will go on strike. Your opponent is so busy dealing with this he can't campaign and you get an ez seat

Sounds a bit too open for what I was thinking of, but it is a cool path to take.

The concept I was working on was like this

-The player is a member of the Ship's Public Security division

-The main menus would be replaced with the Security station/base where you would change settings,run practice levels, and deploy for missions.

-The entire ship is explorable but not in the way some huge open world like GTA is.
Instead you travel through a subway system of some kind to get to 3-4 major levels of the ship each being their own smaller map

-gameplay would focus on stealth and puzzle solving and you'd have to find clues to solve mysteries while sneaking inside of different facilities.

>rpg maker menu
Stopped watching here, would not play.

>getting into programming a game
>can't draw for shit

>making game with friend
>while he's better at coding than me, his old code is completely incomprehensible and unformatted

Literally me

opengameart.org/

>heroin
edgy simulator i see

//This is what the fuck this shit does

just have shitty assets. it'll look cool in the end.

Some amount of spaghetti will always happen. If you manage to totally avoid it it just means that your project is over-engineered and over-future proofed.

Just make sure that no spaghetti rests on other spaghetti and you'll be fine.

>Dr Pavel, I'm C.H.Air

3d modelling for a month now

sweet chairs

Programming is for mega autists

Buttplug table

ok done spamming

Do it anyway, let the art be "bad" and have fun with it.

you done any uv unwrapping and custom texture creation?
if not, get on it and post it

>it's that bear game again
>it's year later and there is literally no progress made
JUST

yep, just like he said "basic movements and shit gfx)

>store.steampowered.com/app/476530

"Dear makers of Children of Dead Earth. You have not finished making your game yet."

Reviews speak for themselves.

Second

>philosopher -> mechanic
u wot

>custom texture creation?
What does this mean?

I take my own textures with my camera and make them seamless in ps if thats what you mean.

Havent begun learning how to fit texture properly yet, i mostly practice making stuff

>you can exit your mech
10/10

Very good.