Oldfags, what was the opinion of Cred Forums on minecraft when it first came out?

Oldfags, what was the opinion of Cred Forums on minecraft when it first came out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94
youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs
standardsurvival.com/
dumcserver.imgur.com/server_01012010
youtube.com/watch?v=qq-RGFyaq0U
youtube.com/watch?v=DZ47H84Bc_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=U0CKMBdx1RY
mojang.com/2016/09/max-brooks-is-writing-a-minecraft-novel-oh-yes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We liked it

We were mostly looking forward to future updates, and Notch was bro-tier. I can't blame Notch for what happened with Minecraft. I think a lot of people assumed it would end up a 3D Dwarf Fortress but I was never convinced of that.

>your face when Minecraft is almost 10 years old

Cred Forums was all over that shit. There was an annoying trend of people doing sort of "survivor" logs of their journeys in caves which were all the fucking same.

It was a fun game for like 80 hours. Some people got obsessed with it and were expecting some patches that would drastically change everything and make the game from their dreams. Some resentment was had when Notch made a few updates that were mostly to streamline the game and nothing else.

Oh fuck this. Every thread was greentext consisting of
>go in cave looking for stuff
>head noise
>investigate
>creeper comes out/find a spawner
>freak out
>die / come out barely alive

Felt like it had some great potential, then the excessive vacationing started

It was the lego game that everyone wanted, plus monsters. Multiplayer and making secret bases was fun.

minecraft didn't have monsters when it first came out

The best time personally was when infdev was happening and he integrated proper terraingen, where the world was actually made of landmasses (small and big) surrounded by ocean, rather than the shit we got now.

Beta 1.7.3 is the best version. I wish there was a Cred Forums 1.7.3 server, playing with you guys was fun as fuck.
One time I made a wooden fortress in the sky, and some faggot tried raiding it so I burnt it down while he was still in there. good times.

Indev was good shit. I wasn't a fan of the infinite procedural generation stuff. I like being restricted to one big area

Was indev the one with the funkiest worldgen algorithm?

obviously they're talking about a version of minecraft that did have monsters in it you fucking retard

Indev was v0.32 where you were restricted to a 1024x1024 blocks area. You could have floating landmasses and such though, which was awesome.

I never really got it. Then they added a survival mode and it was alright.

>tfw was in the beta or whatever back when the game was free and notch was happy.

I got bored with it pretty quick and was really surprised it got as big as it did, and then a year or two later it went fucking meteoric. It was one of those things where I finally had a moment where I realised I was out of touch because I didn't like minecraft, or rather, had got bored of it by the time it became a huge phenomenon.

This reminds me of a thread I made an eternity ago which was about minecraft and started with what I hesitate to call a memegenerator image because I'm not sure that was around then. It's fucking weird to think that A. I wasn't immediately told to go back to réddit and B. There was some genuine discussion going on in it.

>oh wow, this game dev is releasing updates almost every day of the week and putting in fun stuff on fridays, this survival game is going to be awesome once this big list of features hes talking about are finished.

pretty much that. then none of it happened.

we played the shit out of it. we expected it to become an actual game, but then 0 content updates issued.
>mfw I actually bought the game
at least it was only like 8 euros, i did manage to get a lot of hours of out it

I was holding out for lanterns on the Halloween update and they never fucking came. I'm still waiting, even now, for the lanterns that never arrived.

When minecraft was just 1 image being spammed in Cred Forums on a daily basis it was unique, new and interesting.

It showed promise, a brand new idea in a sea of brown and bloom shooters.

Now it's tailored towards pre-teens, we had fun with it but it's time to leave it to another generations.

And at the very least that generation will grow up expecting player agency over linear corridor shooting action so it's not all bad.

We all had high hopes for it. It was a very quaint and comfy game and we let our imaginations get carried way with what we could expect from it.

The only haters were those who dropped by to call it an autism simulator which it was.

I made the mistake of mentioning to my cousin that it was a fun game back in the day. "Isn't that a kid's game?"

We'll never go back.

They were called image macros back then. Reddit is just 4 years late on the spiciest memes.
You'll start seeing threads starting with "Really makes you think..." in 2020.

but that's not what the OP is asking about

Cred Forums liked minecraft right up till after the Halloween update and you would know that if you weren't a faggot.

>tfw you vividly remember when infdev started
>tfw 7 years later and notch is literally a billionare after shilling his shitty infiniminer clone got huge

feels like it was just fucking yesterday senpai

Same fate as Ace of Spades.
It was good, then the creators jewed out and sold out.

Missed opportunity

base game could have been a LOT better

whilst mods can fix some things, you shouldn't have to mod a game to make it good

it didn't happen exactly the same. the problem is that notch just made shitty decisions like adding hunger system. and being a lazy fuck in general

ace of spades was literally "lmao i sold it not my problem now"

I've seen this image for years. Does this map really exist?

Still waiting on that lantern update that was meant to come on halloween.

there's tons of maps like that, or there used to. I haven't played in years i don't even know how to load custom maps

Yeah, map generation used to be really funky

bring back popcorn smelting you fat lazy faggot

Then everyone else found out about the game and notch went on vacation.

>Oldfags
Anyways, it was well received and generally liked. I started to notice a bit of a crack when the Nether showed up, and didn't pay any attention since, as I was one of the people displeased with the patch.

Seems like I was mostly correct. I tried to come back a few months back and I just couldn't do it.

>ace of spades
I miss that game so much ;_;

Honestly, M$ buying Minecraft might've been the best case senario at this point.

If that don't tell you how screwed the game was.

indev map gen was pretty great.

I played it in alpha with a few friends when I was in college thought it was fun for awhile but I have no creativity and am not really into games like minecraft.

OP here, what's that you don't like about minecraft world gen right now?

It's too homogenic. Once you've seen the biomes it's all the same everywhere you go.

>occasionally get bursts of nostalgia for the game, feel like firing it up again
>lost my login for the game after buying it right at the start of alpha
>don't want to pay for $25 or whatever the fuck it is these days

Remember when he was showing off the McMansion he bought in hollywood or some shit?

Had candy dispensers built into the wall and a 10 car garage or something like that

he literally outbid jay-z for that mansion

That's literally the Xbox 360 version of minecraft

Xbox One got an slightly bigger variation (9 times that world)

IMO honestly the focus on biomes kinda killed it and made worldgen into a bunch of segregated "types" rather than having crazy unique shit pop up out of nowhere. Sure they added biomes like extreme hills but they're all honestly really long stretches of samey geography unlike the extremely varied "natural" generation from the alpha days.

Pardon the texture pack, I don't really have many screenshots from back when OldDays was a thing

Fuck it all. Too late to turn around now.

haha

simmer in the stone breaking up the black in between my house and opening keyboard behind ear

hahaha

The world gen used to be a lot more dynamic. Every area you went to had its own shape and character and every new world felt completely new. Now it's just endless flat biomes that all look the same.

pretty great
Notch had regular threads asking for feedback

It was regarded as one of the best games ever.
I wasn't really interested in playing it myself, however, other people creations got me hyped up:
youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94
youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

Cred Forums loved Minecraft, then arbitrarily decided Notch wasn't working hard enough once it became popular and in usual Cred Forums fashion decided it was shit after it became popular. Same thing with Undertale. Cred Forums was all over it until it became popular. Cred Forums is just a contrarian shithole whose opinions should not be heeded.

I never cared about it since I don't really care for chore type games where you build stuff / perform other very repetitive tasks etc.

>tfw when all of that would have literally been Terraria in 3D

world gen was better when it was broke as fuck and created retarded landscapes. Now you get 5 or so biomes that are copy pasted everywhere

secret friday updates

We loved it when it was a web thing you could play in your browser.

I remember the early days trying to build a shitty pirate ship with other anons. Some guy put a swastika as the sail, it was great. Notch was a frequent member here and was generally well liked cause we all saw the potential in the game.

i bought it when it was 14$ and like a year later the game caught fire in one weekend and a metric shit-ton of money began flowing into his account. It was doomed from from that point on.

Now it's essentially a lego simulator for children.

There is an option when creating a world that does just that I think

Something like "Expanded Wordl Generation" or something like that, it creates fucked up maps like old times

>Remember both of these
Fuck man, it's been too long.

>arbitrarily

it's a fact that as the game got progressively more popular, updates from notch himself happened less and less

minecraft was going to die because of notch's laziness before jeb took over as lead designer

>no hunger meter
>no penalty for running

It was literally perfect.

There are legitimate reasons to not be happy about the direction it took.

>world gen got way more boring
>hunger forced you to devote more time to farming
>new combat mechanics and tougher mobs force you to devote more time to getting enchanted gear
>lots of gimmicky stuff getting added and not things like basic furniture

The whole draw of the game for us was being creative, not a mediocre open world rpg.

>mod out hunger

Literally fixed the game

>no penalty for running
No running*
Sprint was same patch as hunger.

Cred Forums were basically early adopters. Believe it or not but Notch used to shill his game here.

This

Swapping seeds with Cred Forums was awesome, I still remember that one seed that started you on a small isle with an endless ocean and we were doing survival challenges.

Now there's no point, all generated worlds are samey as fuck. Seen one seen them all.

It was called Nightfall

>no more cozy island adventures

This is the reason I stopped playing. There was no real challenge. Once you built a small block wall there was literally nothing the enemies could do to you. Survival could be beaten by building a shitty dirt house, it was stupid. I also kept getting annoyed by having to jump all the damn time to get up hills. Why weren't half blocks incorporated into the environment?

you can still play the original one
search up build and shoot, its exactly the same game

>ctrl + f
>flao
magnificent

bump

One of the random main menu messages said "Yay Cred Forums!" I dunno when he patched it out.

Never. It's still there among with all the other website shoutouts messages.

Too many forests and plains. You may never find a desert or a jungle.

>I dunno when he patched it out.
Probably didn't want to be associated with this shithole.

It's still there. I'm surprised Mojews didn't patch it out.

It's still there, there's just a lot of them now.

vacations happened

also consider trying the olddays mod. you remove shitty features while keeping others in (even bugs that have been patched, for instance). nothing can match the fun that was had 6 years ago however

I blame Notch for everything. He was too lazy to work on interesting updates, he gave development to a team who had no idea what to do with it and sold it to Microsoft, the most anti-consumer, money-grabbing company in the world.

>build giant-ass castle
>admire my creation
>realize that its all fucking empty
>get bored
>have no idea what to put inside of it
>sail away to another island where I do the exact same thing
How do I stop doing this? How do you give purpose to the things you build?

Honestly most people would probably have done the same thing he did albeit I probably wouldn't have been as smug about all the travelling and whatnot. He realized he could make crazy bank with the game as it was, so why bother putting in more effort than you have to?

We loved it back in the day. Notch used to come here back in 09. The potential was there. Minecraft is the perfect storm of lost dreams.

I miss building shit I liked. That's the only shit I did in Minecraft, I even got the creative mode activated for me on a server because i just liked to build shit. I built a 1:1 gigantic duck as a spawn point.

What game let me do the same thing nowdays? Build whatever the shit I want? i'm still searching, help me Cred Forums.

You can't. My roommate who still puts in at least 20 hours a month into Minecraft. He has the same problem as you do, except he keeps playing anyway. At this point you should install stuff like Industrial Craft and try building more advanced structures.

don't worry about it man, just do what you want

to be more helpful though, you could start with a smaller structure first. if you want to make a larger structure that is filled with things, you should plan it out first.

intriguing, eye catching
I liked the low fidelity nature of it all

never ended up playing it though. I didn't expect my little brother would be wearing minecraft T shirts while playing with minecraft action figures

Anyone else here used to watch Team avolition?

It was shit and only immense autists praised it because the game had almost no fucking content

vanilla minecraft even today has almost no fucking content but all the mods take care of that, so i can literally build a gigantic tokamak fusion reactor on my space station and use it to power my interdimensional research network, so when i fly to OTHER PLANETS i can digitize anything i find into packets and send them to my research station through a quantum network

no i didn't make any of that up, you can do all of that in MODDED minecraft, vanilla minecraft will always be absolute garbage

change that to:
"I didn't expect my little brother would be wearing minecraft T shirts while playing with minecraft action figures in several years time"

sorry my brain is a discordant mess

Connect the castles. Make a super fortress and slay any monsters that try to invade.

He just got bored of developing the game so he dumped it on a bunch of retards.

To be honest I think the game was pretty much finished mid way through beta anyway

I joined a faction based pvp server one time, and building fortresses was actually pretty cool.

There were some rules, so it was impossible to destroy enemy factions territory, but you had to make sure they could get in somehow, so bases were riddled with traps and secret shortcuts. My base had boat-elevators and water ladders hidden in secret passages to help getting around. It was really cool.

Yes, I loved watching their videos until they suddenly stopped one day

Those guys were great then they just dropped off the face of the planet. Probably because server security mods became really good at catching hacking

Hey, did they release lanterns yet?

Lolno.
Torches also don't go out yet.

I heard they stopped because they just got bored and had jobs

before minecraft, the biggest thing notch had ever worked on was wurm online, which iirc he didn't work alone on it

the rest of his own projects were little prototypes and clones of other games, and minecraft was literally just a clone itself that somehow grew into this enormous thing

the money got to him, as it would most people i think.

never 5get

That was also after the deal with Microsoft.

>it was impossible to destroy enemy factions territory, but you had to make sure they could get in somehow

this is fucking retarded

the point of factions is that you can destroy their entire base or steal the blocks that you want

I remember seeing "Mincraft general" threads on here and getting really excited and wanting the game even more

>Boat Elevators

Fuckin pleb.

All these things came true except for torches burning out which they only didn't implement because the community threw a fit over it.

Destroying someone's base is entirely trivial though. What's the point in building a wall when you can mine through it in 2 seconds?

And lanterns which would have balanced out torches going out.

>make tnt
>blow up entire base in 5 minutes

Wow fun.

In this server, once you got enough kills you can take over their territory (Its KD point based, and if your territories exceed the limit than all are vulnerable until you are back under the limit for your points.).

>Actually difficult this time around
Combat didn't get harder.
The lighting at deeper depths thing was true for like 3 patches.
Rest is true.

>making walls out of shitty materials

you are supposed to make a 10+ layer thick wall of obsidian, surround it with water, and then add a regenerator

but you are apparently shittier at minecraft than 5 year old children who know how to do those things

I still thing that fog at bedrock was pretty fucking cool
Why was it deleted again?

didn't olddays cease development once minecraft started releasing with launcher options for older versions, or did it get a revival?

I used to run a server with factions PVP back in beta. If I didn't protect bases I would pretty much have to reset half the map every other day because of how fucked up it got.

>>What's the point in building a wall when you can mine through it in 2 seconds?
>you are supposed to make a 10+ layer thick wall of obsidian

enjoy mining all that obsidian and what the fuck is a regenerator

Very positive. Everyone wanted to see where it could go. People generally liked Notch.

There are redstone lamps and sea lanterns though

>2020 is a real date 4 years from now

JUST

What's the point in playing a game based on creative building when you're forced to do something this restrictive every time? This is why 4craft never lasted.

lots of potential that went into all the wrong places

>that seed that started/was 404, and you started just over a massive pit in the ground

Does anyone still have an old "minecraft troll chan" OC? There was an old video from minecon(?) with cute chubby teen.

Poor wording on his part, he means an Obsidian Generator, which is basically
>Create system to ensure water source blocks are automatically produced where wall is broken more than a layer deep and the lava on top of them will fill the gaps

I remember everyone loving Alpha and Beta and hoping for more updates that ended up being a big pile of shit. I remember some people being excited about Jeb or whatever his name is when he was hired because he would actually update the game with some regularity. Then Notch became a bit of a faggot, then a huge faggot and the game became shite.

While I do agree that Mojang made bad design choices that brought the game down, I think that Cred Forums exaggerates the difference in the game's quality between then and now because it better serves their nostalgia circlejerk

>I would pretty much have to reset half the map every other day because of how fucked up it got.

no you don't, 2b2t has been going on for years and they have NEVER reset their map. just because retarded shitter children don't know how to protect their shit doesn't mean you have to reset the map when 1 base is destroyed.

You're a terrible admin.

Is there a classic minecraft Cred Forums server?

It was well liked until it became popular

I have exactly the same problem, I've filled an entire continent with empty fortresses
I have no idea how to decorate them, once a room passes a certain size I just have no idea what to do with it
I should probably look for a furniture mod

>mining obsidian
or i just fucking stick an infinite magma ender tank and an aqueous accumulator hooked up to an obby generator

fucking vanilla MC peasants, I laugh at you

I had fun with it. The multiplayer was nice. Stopped playing it after a while and only played it once before the paywall.
It wasn't worth the 15 euros or whatever it was priced back then.

>we

>notch has 2 billion dollars sitting in his bank account right now
>could do absolutely anything he wanted to in the world
>has wealth that surpasses almost every dictator / leader / ancient king that ever existed.
>could figuratively bring about WW3 if he got the right contacts and spent his money carefully
>instead he shitposts on twitter and triggers sjws for the fun of it

I'll rag on notch as much as the next guy but I am extremely jealous of him.

It was good, no autists or kids on it. I expected something complex in its final version and followed notch with the updates, he then started to show signs that he didn't give a shit and started to add retarded features in it like the food system constant music instead of occasional and just flat out took mods and implemented into vanilla without any real innovation, then it got popular to the mass and the features that I had hoped for were quickly diminished. Then I found terraria.

I remember being so excited for Survival multiplayer, even though it was full of bugs and only certain chunks loaded, there were world holes everywhere

4craft never lasted because one or two boards were the only ones that knew how to play

You seriously underestimate the wealth of dictators/ leaders/ ancient kings

>no autists
>early minecraft

pick one, it was entirely autism because the earliest versions didn't even have mobs, it was just building some shit and then showing people online

Where did this autistic thing come from?

>everyone filling entire rooms of chests with torches because Notch said they'd turn into lanterns

Part of me still likes to think that the success the game had was due to the attention many users here paid to it in its early infancy.

honestly, it was manly tears calling minecraft players autistic little twerps and whatnot (which was true)

fast forward 8 years, people now label everything they don't like as autistic (which is stupid)

>Making walls at all
>Living on the surface

Uh no. What you're supposed to do is:

>Walk about 70%-80% of the way to the edge of the map
>Example (x=12500 z=-12500) on a map that's 15000 blocks from the center in all directions
>Find an ocean that goes for over 1.5k blocks in all directions
>Build a tower of cobble/whatever
>Get to the layer about 10 blocks from the build limit
>/sethome
>Leave the block you set home on
>Destroy the tower
>use /wild until you find a desert
>Collect sand
>/home
>Make glass
>Make a sky-platform out of glass
>Make an enchant room
>Infinite water source
>Chest room
>small melon farm (7 or 8 will do)
>Wheat farm (about 15 will do)
>Only shadows should be from wheat/melon farm and bookshelves from the enchant room
>If anybody is actually out in the ocean for some reason, they never look up.
>The only way they'll ever know is if they see the shadows, and they're HARD to see, and most kiddies have shadows off anyway
>Besides nobody goes into the oceans 12500 blocks from spawn...
>Find an underwater spawner 750 blocks away
>create grinder
>Enchant Protection 4, and Sharp v fire swords
>Fuck 12 year old ass back at spawn

you realize anyone with a computercraft radar will find your "hidden base" easily, right? they can even affix invisible tags to blocks or players that you have no idea even exist to track your location in realtime, and can even teleport to a tagged block or player whenever they want

oh i also forgot to mention that anyone can also just build a modular powersuit with a jetpack that lets you fly at 10x creative flight speed to zip over to where their cc radar has scanned you down and start tagging all your shit

Are there any decent 1.8 servers anymore?
I missed finding servers like this
>/sethome /spawn and /tp only real commands, ocassional server has basic economy mod that lets you buy and sell from others chests
>No minigames, just survival
>Ocassional server with basic range protection
>Most the server shoved itself into the game was spawn area, and voting for popularity shit
>Not more than 100 players on at once
Now every server is
>Lates MC
>Visit the servers forums donate vote buy microtransactions
>Full of shitty forced minigames
>1000 fucking players
>Half a billion commands all needed to play
>Nether locked out by microtransaction
>Have to buy ranks to do shit
>Every single person is either in a faction or will kill the moment you tp them
I used to really miss enjoying the multiplayer. Just finding a random guy in chat to team with, and building. Then updates came out that sucked, new players came in that sucked, and the only semi vanilla servers have too much stupid shit and none of the good shit like /tp and /home

>1.8

the only good versions are 1.6.4 (tekkit etc.) and 1.7.10 (everything else)

Good but it was boring. Survival made it good again but then again it got boring after some time.

also
>oldfags
pls stop

>Hacks/mods

That's fantastic and all, but I've NEVER raided before with this method. Not a single time.

It's trivial. I've heard many say 1.8 was the deep end and many say 1.7 was. My fondest memories are of 1.8 though, so that's what I default to. If there were a 1.7 server like I described I would play it.

Never been*

Kill me.

well, you are a peasant who only plays vanilla, you don't know what it's like to have to defend yourself against antimatter ICBM's that create a black hole on impact

try playing a pvp server with a big modpack like tekkit or FTB Infinity

But they did though?

>Heh try a ruined gamemode with broken features, kid

I'm gonna pass.

>Oldfags, what was the opinion of Cred Forums on minecraft when it first came out?
>when it first came out

can you post the correct version please

Fuck him, he took more vacations than he worked once he saw the money roll in. I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same, but fuck him.

nah fuck you. PVP factions are terrible, I only ever included it because all the kids demanded it. I wasn't about to let the server turn into an unplayable clusterfuck just for that shit.

Besides, I'd rather not have to deal with 13 year olds complaining that their base got griefed when I'm trying to play a fucking game.

would a beta 1.7.3 server be possible? i know you can change the version in the launcher, but someone would need the old server files

What are some stupid things you do in every base?
>giant wall around everything
>sewer that leads out into the ocean
>make a kitchen with checkerboarded floor

>when it first came out?
nobody knew about it.

I loved that village mod that allowed you to expand it and make it bigger by gathering a certain amount of resources.

What was it called?

Millenaire

You could go to war with another village. It was very cool.

>tfw still searching on a server that is 100% vanilla except that all player spawns are random.
end me

yes if you have the server file. I think the auth server has been taken down tho so you have to use a password plugin.
I think I have b1.7.3 bukkit server file if you want it.

for a server*

>thinking about all of those old maps of yours that you spent hours on, then foolishly deleted in a moment of frustration

>you will never forget the first few worlds you played on
>mfw beta had best world generation
>no matter how big and fucked up a cave was, i would always come out near my base

>mfw joining the free version that had sponges and secretly mining into people's houses to destroy their sponges and flood their houses with lava and water

>had a creative mode map where, whenever I got mad or frustrated or depressed, I would add another floor to this skyscraper and fill it with signs venting/explaining why Im upset
>hundreds of floors full of signs that said weird shit like "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK", "Why am I such a boring person?", "Am I just fucking irredeemable at this point?", or "what made her like him more?"
>had to build a second one because it got to the height limit
>accidentally left it on a USB in the closet when I moved to another state
>some fucking ten year old probably blew the whole thing up

People liked it quite a bit here

It's always funny seeing someone here say the game was "always shit." Easy to tell who's a bandwagoning newfag

It was alright, I still like it to some degree but in secret because of how much shame and cringey shit is associated with Minecraft players at this point. once like every few week I launch it up and play it a few hours until I get bored and then get back to my backlog

Everyone loved it until they realized they had autism.

I got my college roommates into it when alpha first came out. One of us would start up a server and we'd all have a blast in survival. We obsessed over that shit like it was fucking Pokemon in 1998. We'd even bitch about Notch's vacations at late night diners and shit.

I haven't played the game in ~2 years or so. At that time, I'd play single player for a couple days and lose interest. My experience with the game was at its best when the novelty was there and when I still had rl friends to play with.

>sewer that leads out into the ocean
I'm doing this.

Underwater mine cart tunnel through the ocean to a second base

It takes so long but goddamn is it worth it

Has anyone heard or read any explanation to the feeling of "comfy" that Minecraft creates?
I know it's an overused term, but back in the beta, there was something about the quiet atmosphere and solitude that made the game cozy beyond anything my 14-year-old self had ever experienced.

Made of glass I hope.

im gonna explain it to you
the most and last comfy version was the beta 1.7.3 .
because after that they implemented the following:
-hunger system, something you didnt have to care about until now
-no more spawning at beaches, the feel of being a washed up survivor was gone
-villages and other structures like mineshafts destroyed the feeling of being completely alone in this world

thats about it.

It places you within a generally calm and pristine natural environment without any goals to hurry you along

Whats the stupidest thing you've ever done with your friends?
pic related

Big windows all along the sides of the tunnel. Always thought it looked better that way than being made entirely of glass

TWIRLY
W
I
R
Y

I wonder when Microsoft's gonna make their big move and make Minecraft 2

They didn't pay out 2 billion just to sell tshirts

Is there any game besides minecraft that I can run/join a covert guild of thieves in? And actually steal shit and have a comfy base to bring all the loot back to?
Yet to find one

>people who were here when Autismcraft started are called "oldfags" now
oh irony

anyways I remember how cool it was back then
I remember how casuals couldn't run it because of randmo Java/JVM problems
and I remember gradual Notch's image change from "basement dwelling dev" to "stupid fat jevv"

Can confirm

I was thinking a ridge of metal or smooth stone at the top (with some "ribs" every few blocks) and the rest of it glass, or just windows on the sides and the ceiling.

>raze an entire area to the ground, 3 layers or so down to bedrock
>box all the materials, smelt the stone to bricks
>build a wall, fill a moat, etc.
>nothing to do after that
I did this so many times, I wish there was something I could follow up with

Cred Forums worshipped it once and I can vaguely remember Minecraft threads being the norm.

Only Early Access game I ever bought. Learned my lesson.

I thought that would produce cobble/smoothstone, and obsidian comes from lava source blocks which don't replenish?

That's a nice idea. If I ever get back into playing some Minecraft I'll have to do that

minecraft shouldn't have that hunger shit, exp, that shitty ending
i wish they wouldn't focus on adventure, but more on adding new blocks etc.
now worlds are the same, you can meet villagers so you can't feel like you're alone in the world

1.7.3 beta - the last good version for me

Yeah "we", retard. Notch used to come here all the time.

Didn't Notch bring the first Minecon to fucking Vegas of all places?

That shit was hilarious

I don't understand the complaint about hunger and exp
Exp enchanting was cool because you had to get enough for the really good ones and ge tput back to square 1 afterwards
Food and Hunger were decent if occasionally intrusive concerns that were made irrelevant to anyone with half a brain, and it gave you something to actually put into your buildings (same with the enchanting, potions, etc.)
Having played both versions I like having more functions rather than less

I miss Ray

IMO the real problem with hunger is that it leads to regenerating health, which really fucked up the combat

Remember that massive server citywars?

I logged on a couple months ago for the nostalgia and found it dead.when I asked the 10-15 people left on the server what happened they went "another one of THESE guys".

this is depressing.

Before hunger, you selected food, right clicked, and then you're life replenishes. Now, you have to sit through an eating animation and take care not to run or jump, lest you lower your stamina. You don't even recover health if the food bar has at least 9 units full. Potions and enchants I don't mind, but the hunger system took away autonomy that you used to have. I don't claim to be an expert, but the game was simple and self-driven in single player, and having those functions taken out of your hands doesn't improve that experience.

We should get another comfy Cred Forums server sometime and well all just work together to make cool shit

We used to expect shit like this to come out of minecraft. The more copeis it sold the less notch worked on it. The less he worked on it the more Jeb worked on it, and you can see how that turned out.

People made pixel art of what is now ancient memes and swastikas.

It was fun, and notch wasn't a faggot.

And then notch became a faggot, the end.

The only time Swede cucked a negro.

>oldfags
>minecraft days

What the fuck?

>wuz

I just feel like instant healing from food like that is a system better handled by potions
I can understand limited autonomy being an argument against it but to me it feels like it enforces the "you should be building something right now" vibe
Even then it added comfy-ness in some cases, like if you needed a lot of wood you could go chop down a grove of trees and snack on the apples to keep your hunger bar up til you got home

Man, I kinda miss Minecraft. That shit died to me when the 1.8 beta release came out. EXP? Hunger? Magic? Get that shit out of here.

Going to the end of the map was always fun.

ASF

The fishing thing isn't true. There's shit-all to do in the oceans which is one of the main things I wanted.

I actually laughed, you're not unappreciated

>oldfags
I first saw my friends playing it back in '09. I literally thought it was a NES game of some kind that they were emulating. I tried buying it and playing it on my laptop but my computer literally could not run it at anything other than "tiny" view distance.
Eventually I got it to run on my desktop and had a bit of fun with it. I had a lot more fun when I replaced the shitty graphics with the old Doku texturepack. I remember joining a rather large server just to grief it but ended up really liking it and became a part of the community. It was primarily filled with Cred Forumsirgins and had a pretty xenophobic community but eventually we got along.
Because of all the griefing, the spawn was moved faaaar away from everyone else. I had a lot of fun constructing a giant hidden rail system to connect the spawn of the server to where everyone was at. It was kinda pointless because eventually it was replaced by beds (private spawns) and runemod. But still, it was really cool designing the boosters back when you could actually engineer them instead of using redstone bullshit.
I also had fun disarming tnt that griefers left all over the place when you could only do that with water to prevent the explosion. Nowadays, you can just pick up tnt. I eventually stopped playing when hunger was added because it was so fucking stupid to add a mechanic that literally kept you from playing the game until you grinded for hours and filled your inventory up with garbage.
So to summarize, I loved the game and was super immersed and had fun playing it until literally EVERYTHING fun was systematically removed. One by fucking one. It was like a bad joke.
Totally worth the ~$10 though.

it can still be fun with mods

And? You don't speak for anyone but yourself you fucking faggot.

Is there any mod that allows me to add some monsters outside a village and send them to a target inside a village?

I always wanted to do that, play some kind of village leader, building walls and placing guards on it with the mods that add NPCs and then having mobs attack to see if I can protect it and go upgrading our defenses and village size until I can take hordes of mobs.

Minecraft Classic Cred Forums servers were glorious.

And that one server that had some sort of "virus" mode (or zombie)
You had 60 seconds to get yourself to safety, can't make impassable movements. (deleting shit behind you)
A random person is assigned the zombie.
They can't place blocks, only destroy.
Eventually a plugin was made to prevent people towering in one spot. (you were allowed 2x2 or wider though)
Fuck that server was fun. We even made our own levels in the map-making server they had as well.

Equally Loneminers in Factions Survival.
Best shit.

notch is cute. i want to see his köttbullar

Minecraft was first publicly playable 7 years ago man. Like it or not people from 2009 are oldfags compared to the majority of people that actually go on Cred Forums these days. It's sad, but you'll have to accept it

>tfw a server you used to frequent had a bunch of good mods with a good balance that didn't pollute the game with shit
>it's gone forever and I'm not willing to go searching for a new one

I remember the big turning point was when hunger was added, before that I'd say the majority of Cred Forums liked Minecraft.

>join a random medium-sized server with friends
>build massive automatic farms that produce thousands of items per hour
>crash the economy with our cheap chinese goods
>piss all the other merchants off
>admins eventually boot us off the server for destroying their playerbase

Goddam I miss those days. Four EE majors rigging up our base with redstone.

Some post a fucking server goddamit

Pretty much.

I think that was b1.8
b1.7.3craft best craft.
Fucked up world gen. No hunger. Actually harder.

Hunger made the game easier. (and more annoying to play!)

That was fun as fuck doing that shit.
Did it on that 0tx server. Duping as well. Holy shit the duping.
Our faction was called 420, for extra mad.

halloween update was the most infuriatingly useless fucking update ever.. God I fucking hated seeing all those stupid ass jackoheads laying around. Golems were awesome though.

it was pretty good, there were regular feedback threads and weekly updates with good content

then this shit happened:

>gained traction on youtube and reddit
>Notch and friends going on vacation for long fucking periods of time
>updates happening less and less
>Notch starting to resent us for actually giving him criticism
>the halloween update

>recently find a server with the perfect balance of vanilla and plugins with a chill community
>Announcement: the server will be shutting down by the end of the year
>mfw

>Crysis
>Minecraft
>Halo 3
>HL2 Ep2

>almost 10 years old
Slow your role down.. It's only 7 years old.

too popular

I remember building autonomic geothermal power plants/fabric in Nether using Build- and IndustrialCraft.
Shit was so cash.

I never enjoyed playing with mods

Yeah. I remember 1.7.3 having a really cool rainfall mod where water would flow down hill and pool into lakes and stuff. It was the coolest. Combined with a water/hunger mod it was really satisfying designing little towns/bases with irrigation systems and drinking water. A very natural little rpg town with a sewer system full of spooky monsters that you'd have to deal with every now and then to find out where the water went.

fog at bedrock wasn'T deleted IIRC but if you turn fog of it's turned off

Thanks.

>mods
>big multiplayer servers
>pvp
pick one and only one

>tricking admin in to giving you creative
>spawn shit out the ass
>build a bedrock base at bedrock filled with chests, ocean of lava caves all around it.
Fun times.

We managed to get half that 300 strong server to ragequit when we constantly baited and raided the fuck out of their near-spawn fortress.

We placed lava in this one guys little watch tower where you could only get in with ladder-pole.
Went in, got burned alive, fucking raged so hard accusing everyone in the fort.
Half that fort left and went to found a new base.
We lava'd them at night and they all quit.

Factions was installed after that, just to test it out.
The remaining people built a huge walled village.
They claimed all the land BUT one tiny little corner of it. We were able to sneak in and steal stuff.

Another faction wanted to build a huge rail track from spawn to their base.
It went underneath our base, but because we claimed the land, they could not build.
So we built it for them, "no problem guys".
We used it to sneak in to their base and steal everything, then burn it.
People never learn.

Then x-raying became popular and all minecraft servers became shit and worthless.
Well, besides anarchy servers.

>mods
>big servers
>pvp
pick two

Nowadays, that makes cobblestone, yes. I think these guys only played minecraft a long time ago when it used to produce obsidian.

>if i had these overpowered mods i could easily defeat your base
you sure showed him :^)

Do any good just factions servers exist?
Something in the vein of Lone Miners.

Everything nowadays is just shit piled on top of other garbage.

There's a beta server. There's been active beta servers since 2014. Just set your Minecraft version to old_beta 1.7.3 in the launcher and connect to it normally.
puucraft.ddns.net:26121
Don't mind the cancer, it's just a side effect of playing Minecraft these days

>muh 2b2t
not everybody wants a server like 2b2t
and saying that the 2b2t way is the only way you should run a server is absolutely ridiculous.

>we

I would never play minecraft with Cred Forums. People around here would rather shit on everything you do than work together to build neat things.

We ran a few modded servers for a couple years.
EVen had fags on here on it. (and /r9k/ before it became feelsfaggotry)

Huge golden cocks everywhere.

We had that Runecraft mod installed.
When we re-enabled faith, oh my the hilarity.
If you don't know, a Faith rune let you make a floating island.
Yep, you bet it was used to raise half or all of peoples homes in to the sky.

Some computer mods as well, and advanced redstone.
Industialcraft never existed at the time.
But we did have that on a newer server which lasted for a while too.
That is until we got bored of that one too, then changed it to an adventure exploration server with all those magical world mods, new dimensions, those weird door dimensions and other shit.

It is now sitting turned off for a couple years now. RIP.

Loneminers has no equal. Sadly.
The only thing I found remotely fun was 0tx.

>this was 6 years ago
fuck

>tfw played Minecraft in the early alpha
>it was fun as fuck
>over time it became a bloated mess

You obviously haven't done it before.

I got account number 2682 back when they counted how many bought the game. I enjoyed it allot and the weakly updates were awesome. Then the lazy set in. Then Notch committed the gravest offense. He got rid of indev and got rid of the floating island maps.

After that I gave up on it and left.

What was your Loneminers username? Cool seeing some other people here who played.
Gonna see if 0tx is any good

hunger is just a pointless grind
enchanting was alright i guess but just leads to exp farms and then you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Minecraft? No. But I have played other games with Cred Forums and for the civil ones among us, there are redditor-tier kids who thrive off negative attention.

>login
>register
>kicked because of "logged in from another location"
>join again
>same thing
>game crashes

That sounds right, but I haven't played with any real shitters from here luckily

>open my email yesterday
>it says someone tried to change my password

>Tfw living in a mountain with my giant AE2 system automating my autistic bee farm

>Tfw trying to build a big ass reactor at the core of it

mods make this game great. kind of a shame it will never live up to this.

plus the mod community is autistic enough to laugh at the drama!

I liked it a lot, it hadn't caught on, everything worked well enough and it felt genuinely enjoyable. I remember installing my first texture pack and being amazed.

The best thing about it was that it led to Ace of Spades
Smithy if you're still around, I hope you're having a good time

Dudeparallel
If you remember the obsidian cube in the middle of a massive ocean, you will remember us.
We raided peoples bases, sold coords for items or information to other bases, rinse and repeat.

That obsidian cube base was fucking godlike, took ages to make it.
We were trying to build it all the way to the bedrock because the ender eye glitch would have allowed people to teleport up in to the base, but the server eventually died.

We technically had 2, we had that water surface obby cube, then had a super secure obby cube right under at bedrock.
It had all our good items and 2 teleporters, one to top cube, one to a rune you enter yourself. (we used that to raid bases very quickly)
Oh, 3 even, the access portal to get back down.
The top cube was just our farms, obby generator (redstone->obby glitch), stone (sans cobble) generator, snow generator, and few other experiments.
Plenty of tree farm space.

God, I miss the massive oceans those few updates generated.
The massive oceans they generated on 2b2t as well, holy fuck.
I remember travelling for several real days through some of them, so much so that the water level literally dropped mid-ocean because an update lowered it one.

I remember Cred Forums would consider minecraft a non-casual game back in my day. This was 2009 I think. I remember it because it was my first time learning about minecraft, it was in an alpha stage or something and it was cheap but the game really came a long way and I'm glad to have seen it grow so much.

I'm a little old for it now, I'm 21, but I still play it often, fuck it I aint ashamed.

Jttye reporting in, those oceans were godly
Remember going through one for a half an hour and found a badass island. ended up building a base there with some friends only for it to be found because some guy luckily just nether portaled right by.

>instead of using redstone bullshit
eh, it was really annoying at first to lose the old boosters but the new system was objectively better after you got used to it.
What i'd change though is powered rails being powered by default and "unpowered" when receiving a redstone signal

standardsurvival.com/

You're welcome.

There are some niggers that play 24/7 and they are autistic as fuck, but it should scratch that itch for ya

>tfw I paid $15 for minecraft alpha
>7yrs ago

>241 red axes

what mods are you using?

I remember once finding a nether portal like, a few hundred blocks just east of our base I think it was.
Must have went off in another direction and never found our base.

Eventually we gave our coords out to it just to see some action.

I remember people firing TNT cannons at the base trying to wreck it.
They never managed to because we built 2 layers of Obsidian with water on the outside and middle.
Killed any strength of TNT fired at it.

Eventually an obsidian-strength mod was added in.
But we had already moved base anyway.

Oh hey, an old servers images.
dumcserver.imgur.com/server_01012010

Everyone liked it because it was a good foundation and had lots of potential.
Then survival mode came out and turned out to be a lazy piece of shit, and then like a year and a half of minimal content updates and notch "going on vacation" constantly, leading to adventure updates which were shit and the official launch which was shit, at which point the community was 90% people under the age of 12 and playing online was horrible, and a total of like 8 hours of game content was added in those 1.5 years of half-assed development because notch was already rich as fuck.
At which point development consisting of adding a few existing mods as new content to the game like wolves.

$15 was beta, alpha was $10, you fucking liar.

you can mod a elder scrolls game and join the thieves guild.

>tfw you'll never experience infdev/alpha and floating islands again

Hell, I remember playing infiniminer a shitload, and suddenly there was minecraft. Promises of dwarf fortress 3D were made and Notch was there for us. Until he wasn't that is.

>mfw I still remember the vacations starting

>being on Cred Forums during minecraft alpha makes you an oldfag

It does?

FLAOT was a real hero

I bought it in alpha sorry if i dont remember the exact purchase price from 2555 days ago
>used to have a folder full of screens with my friends
>old computer died years ago

What happened to them?

Ok child, I didn't ask about you screenshots but here you are telling me you don't have proof that I didn't ask for.

they grew up

The new system is so hollow and empty and boring.
The old system had many different designs for boosters and people would come out with new ones every once in a while. Engineering boosters and tracks took time and felt like you were really building something intricate and complex. Nowadays it's literally just slapping shit down and moving on.
I'm sure it's more "convenient" but it's also a hell of a lot more convenient to play on peaceful and all by yourself with creative mode turned on. Well guess what? That makes the game boring because there's no challenge and minimal interaction. Minecraft is a game, after all.

oh no an anonymous person on an anime image board called me a lair! My life is over

>classic
boring
>survival update
this is okay but lacking
>more survival updates
the hunger is annoying also the fanbase is bad
>minecraft with technic
This is great! Community is still bad though.

Sell me technic and the like
I've only used faction and economy mods and pixelmon once

Wow this board really is super fucking autistic

I know this thread is old and you won't see this but I just want to let you know that eventually a game that encapsulates the spirit of early minecraft PvP multiplayer will come out. Thieving and sleuthing included.
Don't know when, but eventually.

Red Dead Redemption stories were much better.

Yeah dude. Mostly everyone who was on Cred Forums at that time has left to be adults and get jobs and fuck women and shit. Did you really think everyone was a foreveralone?

This website is really just here for people who come back for a sensible chuckle, or to reminisce, complain or they are wizards who never left and are like 30 years old browsing v all day

A game of endless potential.

>mfw little brother is playing Minecraft Story Mode right next to me at this very moment

>go to play on a survival server
>no castles or anything
>just cobblestone blocks 4000 miles in the sky so people cant drop lava on them
>everyone instantly rushes to get diamond armor/swords that are borderline overpowered and do 8 hearts of damage, set people on fire and probably kill your dog
>no comfy Cred Forumsanilla server to build shit with bros

honestly i feel like these servers should just run fucking tekkit/voltz or other mods if they want to try this hard at an autistic block simulator

The most fun part of the game was starting from scratch and planning something big anyway. Once I was partway through a project I realized I bit off more than I could chew and had no patience to finish, so I would just start anew.

>google search old minecraft username out of curiosity

fucking hell

You should seek help

AE became obnoxious after the switch to AE2 I am not spending all of that time just to get a complex storage system.

One friend of mine just rented (lol) a mc server for nothing and now we're chilling, building crap but it surely feels more genuine than a hub based shit hole 1000 player server

Lost my usual server to some nonsense drama between some of the admins who are no longer on speaking terms.

Context?

splice and dice uses axes to make things for ender IO

you can disable the shitty channels but yea the press shit is kinda dumb. but you can change the recipe for it

>Remember when seeds were added
>Everyone jacked off over Gargamel
>Digging your way out of pitch black into that amazing forested valley with huge hills and mountains

Indev up to that point was just the best. Worldgen used to be so cool.

This is why I'm always weary of overly dramatic admins. If you ever play on a server where one of the heads is a drama queen, that is a big red flag that your server is not going to last.

>Gargamel
FUCK THAT WAS SUCH A GOOD SEED

suavebaby was the GOAT though
>on an island
>one tree
>only resources is a mineshaft ~30 units down
>no land for thousands of units if not more
>the outright slaughter that would happen on Cred Forums servers with it

The odd thing is that they weren't. The only reason I joined the server is because it was supposed to be full of level-headed people and adults-only.

Mine started that way too, but then some girl who always made things about her joined. I don't know if that was what ultimately killed it, but it was concerning.

anyone remembered lava survival on classic?

that was the shit

>Remembering how autistic you became on servers
>That time you spent 100 dollars paying for workers to make you an obsidian protected base
>100 layers of obsidian, alternating with a layer of water between each layer of obsidian
>Loads of traps setup
>Lived in base for 2 years amassing humongous wealth to the point the server admin became your friend
>Become new admin once old one got tired of hosting

>those textures
>calling bedrock "adminium"
>those clusterfuck freebuild servers
>tfw no more classic

>not just running a server locally
ran and played fine on some out of the box dell from 2001 or so

If the majority liked it he can use we, which "we" fucking did it was talked about all the time cunt

I used to host a server that I'd play on with 2 other friends. Perfect rainy day game honestly shame it became a 9yrs old

I still remember that ost
>youtube.com/watch?v=qq-RGFyaq0U
still makes me tear up to this day

>youtube.com/watch?v=qq-RGFyaq0U

So

Fucking

Comfy

I know man they couldnt have done it better
>tfw ywn go back

>had one map where I would fly around looking for a nice place to build
>find my literal dream
>steep cliffs surrounding a lake that leads out to the ocean
>build a town with market stalls, docks, parks on the more flat sections of mountain
>build houses inside the caves in the mountains dwarf style
>computer crashes and hard drive dies with it

I still miss it and I've never found anything like it since

We'll never have those days again

youtube.com/watch?v=DZ47H84Bc_Q

I miss being able to enjoy MineCraft.

I don't even know what's wrong with it now. I dislike Hunger, but it's not a game killer for me.

>Used to build a house a keep a world for months
>Used to join a server, immediately make new friends in voice chat, and hang out with them for months while just living in the server
>Used to just roam the world and explore for hours looking for shit like Jungle biomes for coco seeds.
>Used to mine non-stop for no reason to the point of having so many diamonds I just gave them out. Kids loved me.
I went to MineCon (Pic Related)

>Now I can't even keep a world for more than ten minutes.
>Can't join a server and make friends like I used to
>Can't bring myself to non-stop mine.
>Realize I've put more time into Minecraft than I have any MMO.

Who /ICTON/ here?
youtube.com/watch?v=U0CKMBdx1RY

I'm 30 and I never left Cred Forums. Last month I slept with my 40th woman.

And all of them were hot.

How did we go from this...

to this?

By flying upwards?

By flying really high up into the air friend

>tfw you'll never play on a classic freebuild server again

Cred Forums was even more into that shit back then. I don't know why they tolerated all those minecraft threads over there.

Are you confusing it with infiniminer

Are you fucking retarded?

I got it when it first hit beta

I wasn't on Cred Forums during that time but i thought MC was a really cool idea and had great potential. But by the time it wasn't in beta anymore and iy had been "officially" released it was crap and i didn't like it anymore.

They would add something and then would forget about it and not finish it or would not develop it any further. MC is a very schizophrenic game that doesn't know what it wants to be.

pic related is what MC should have been.

I called Notch a faggot for shilling.

>Anonymous 09/24/16(Sat)18:50:23 No.352845054 ▶

I remember paying like 12 dollars.

I just started a survival map, why the hell is everything so hard to kill now?

mojang.com/2016/09/max-brooks-is-writing-a-minecraft-novel-oh-yes/

what the fuck

When you click, see that bar quickly fading away after you attack?
You only do half a heart of damage until that completely fades
also: Use Axes for combat until you get diamonds.

>waah people have fun playing a sandbox in their favored manor!
stick to singleplayer thinskin

Fuck whatever update was the Haloween one was. Everything from that point on is shit.
I liked my snow worlds, with permanent snowfall. I liked it when wood blocks with just their tops on fire would burn forever
I miss my snow world
I miss my biodome on top of a tower in the middle of a frozen wasteland

there's a fandmade revival of classic forgot the name
theres a few survers