I got this in the humble monthly thing. I started playing it and it's really slow...

I got this in the humble monthly thing. I started playing it and it's really slow, but a buddy told me it picks up once you've progressed a bit.

How long until this gets fun?

at least 15 hours

>>How long until this gets fun?
It doesnt if you arent entertained right from the start.
joke, you get a fuckton of AS and then the fun starts as melee

go shaman, put all points into primal strike + thunderous strike and mogdrogens pact and stack up on energy regen + res gear. use a good physical 2h ranged and melee weapon. congrats, you can now faceroll through veteran mode

>my love for hack-n-slash is based soley on summons and pets
>Path of Exile has the best summons, but is grindier than a Korean MMO and is just shit overall
>Diablo 3 is casual and fun but not in any development so it's largely pointless
>Titan Quest and Grim Dawn are identical, and both have super shallow summons
>Van Helsing has a ton of summons but is painfully boring

There is no game for me.
Tales of Maj Eyal is pretty fun though.

If you don't find it fun 1 hour in you just don't like the genra.

>use a good physical 2h ranged and melee weapon
wat

since when does primal work with ranged weapons, I thought it requires 2h melee

>my love for hack-n-slash is based sloey on not slashin-n-hackin

i'd say mid game. first hour is slow then it picks up, then the end game gets a bit grindy.

OP here

So I'm at level 8 and have gotten a couple of the Occultist skills. Summon familiar and Dreeg's Evil Eye. I'm hoping this game has wands for ranged damage because I'm not planning on going super heavy as far as health goes.

A few areas in and things start to get a little bit more interesting. More enemies at a time and I've got an AoE skill.

I think I'll stick with it until maybe level 20 and see how much I like it then.

So you can't read then?

>I'm not planning on going super heavy as far as health goes
Good luck with that. You're going to regret your decision pretty soon.

I really wanted to like grim dawn, but I felt kind of the same way as OP. It wasn't a bad game by any means, it just felt kind of like a slog that would never pick up.

it was only for 2h melee at first

I remember having a really good summon build in the first Torchlight, but that game's short as fuck.

So every arpg ever then? Did you ever play TQ on release? Or D2 without getting boosted? PoE from scratch? Come one man, all arpgs are slow as fuck when starting out. Exception being D3, but that game has other issues to compensate

>no health build
good fucking luck

level 20ish is where it starts to pick up once you get your first devotion filled out.

You misunderstand. Having a army in front of me doing all the work while I support with spells and shit is a concept that makes my dick hard as diamond.

D2s Necromancer is a great example, but the game has aged like milk. Path of Exil does a great job of letting the player be a dedicated summoner, but the game is absolutely atrocious in terms of grind. And if you die you get set back several days if not weeks in terms of XP.

Don't play it on normal if you are.

i love these legendary weapons if only an aether character wasn't so boring to level up

I've actually played all of those games. I loved the shit out of PoE and D2, but TQ and Grim Dawn are in a class of their own. They aren't bad games at all, they're just particularly slow and have a bland artstyle. I just couldn't stay interested in them.

>pure arcane energy
>lightning damage
my penis hurts

Well, TQ and GD are virtually identical. Same team, problably same engine, and they even use the same font.
And they are pretty boring for their genre. Levelling is slow and combat doesn't really feel that fluid or smooth like D3 pulls off.

I swear, if Blizzard decides to focus on D3 again it can easily be the best ARPG on the market. They can start by slashing the numbers for starters, when you start getting several million in DPS that's when you know the game has gotten overboard.

Mage weapons in Grim Dawn are one-handed daggers that do melee attacks with magical damage types while wielding a mage offhand item.

TQ Anniversary is a far better game.

I played years of D2, loved that game. Didn't like PoE at all, played through TQ once or twice but found it kind of eh. But for some reason i have no problems with Grim Dawn, despite it basically being TQ 1.5. It's weird

Best diablo clone i ever played though that wasn't D2 was Depths of Peril. I had way too much fun with that game

I've been playing the living shit out of Grim Dawn, and I have to say it's the best ARPG I've ever played.
Granted, I haven't played much, but the fact that it's so fun and I usually have a hard time enjoying games means more to me.
I've played Diablo 2 (it just had that old-game hurdle that was too much to get over) and Diablo 3 (was fun, but then got holyshitboring at the end) and PoE (jesus christ that game is a mess).

But in Grim Dawn, it's all about the leveling. For me, the first 25 or so levels are the best. Once you hit level 10 and can dual spec, it's a blast. After 25 you pretty much just fill out your build and continue until level 50.

The story is meh, the crafting/salvaging is poor (I really wish it had the enchanting system where you could change one aspect of the weapon) and the reputation grinding is pretty half-assed. But it feels rewarding to progress through the game, which is exactly what I want.

Oh. And oh my god, the amount of inventory space the game gives you makes me diamonds. I love walking around like a fucking bank with every possible thing I might need at hand.

Fake and gay.

>three-years-old youtube comment
wut

Titan Quest is still the Diablo clone with the best setting.

And still looks fucking great for that matter. Those guys did wonders at crafting the world. Diablo clones tends to be a sort of grimy dark mess a lot of the time. So the details in TQ shines through more than other games of the genre.

Like point me to any point in Grim Dawn and I will just think of well, some generic grim grimy shit pretty much.

There are wands in GD user.

>Like point me to any point in Grim Dawn and I will just think of well, some generic grim grimy shit pretty much.
It's right in the name of the game though, what do you expect. And despite all that, it still has a great setting with an interesting lore.

Well. I think their choice of setting was kinda boring(why even choose one where almost the entire game is basically gonna look the same?) As with most of these types of games.

Titan Quest isn't incredibly fun to play, but it's by far the one that I love to run through the most apart from D2 because of the amazing setting.

Wish more games took quest from that instead of just "monsters are attacking, lets make everything dark and grimy like Diablo."