Is it worth getting this card if you only care about 1080p gaming?

Is it worth getting this card if you only care about 1080p gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/zLmLcc
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1VK-01JD-00052
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

get the 1070

For 1080p@60fps, why?

980ti will be overkill for your 1080p needs, providing your rate goal is 60fps. It gets well over 100fps in most games at 1080p but if I play TW3 maxed in 4k, for example, I get 30-40fps.

If you aren't dead set on "ultra" you'll be fine with the 1060 I guess but most people on Cred Forums try their hardest to max every setting despite getting 25 fps.

The 1060 can't even play all current games on ultra. So yeah it's obsole already.

If you want 1080p get a GTX1070. And if you want more than 60fps get a 144HZ monitor. If you only have a 60hz monitor, it's just 60 or lower fps which is stupid because you spent hundreds on this build.

So the 1070 will cost you at least $400 and a good 144hz monitor will cost you $400 so that's $800. You also need the i5 6600k or i7 to not bottleneck your GPU so that's another $300. I also want 1080p gaming

pcpartpicker.com/list/zLmLcc
Rate my build Cred Forums

This is what I worried about mine before I got rid, I felt I overspent for a 1080p 60hz build and was worried that it would depreciate processing power wise over resolution ability.

I suppose you get a monitor like that once and be satisfied?

Yes, but be sure to get the 6gb version.

Looks good, but personally I'd go with an AIO cooler for the cpu.

if you're shooting for top of the line, you might as well get at least 32 gigs of ran

I'd go for a Western Digital drive over a Seagate

>The 1060 can't even play all current games on ultra. So yeah it's obsole already.
You really need to learn to read Nvidia model codes. 1060 is not "obsolete". It's a budget version.

10 is the generation, 60 is the model. It's the next generation of the 960, so basically it's the low end 10 generation Nvidia build.

Have a 1070, shit barely works on 1080p at 140. Fuck the 1060

>but most people on Cred Forums try their hardest to max every setting despite getting 25 fps
I don't understand this. Framerate is just as important as the graphics quality, and if you aren't trying to balance the two if not achieving both, you might as well settle for a console.

Remove the NH D 15 with a scythe fuma. Cheaper and just as good, I say this as someone that owns an NH D 15.

Replace the 750w power supply with a 650, shave a bit of cost off.

nooooo. $200 is the most you should spend for 1920x1080. If you spend any more on your GPU you should buy a better monitor first.

>people actually believe this

>1060 is not obsolete
>a card that costs almost $300 yet can't even play all games on ultra

Come on

Depends on what you have now

>balance the two
To me, this means consistently achieving the highest framerate that your monitor can put out.

Since I have a 144hz monitor, I usually end up with most of my graphics settings down to low before I can get 144, but if I can easily get it then I'll start moving up from there.

Nvidia pays developers to include ridiculous graphics options in their games that have virtually no impact in visual fidelity but cut fps in half.
Don't fall for this marketing.

It can undoubtedly run all games on ultra at 720p

STOP SCARING ME YOU FUCK. I'M GETTING A 1060 AND I'M GONNA BE HAPPY right?

>not even $300
That's garbage for an Nvidia card, you console scrub. It's not meant to be a performance card to begin with. 980ti, for example, was $500-$700 and it still obliterates everything from both the last and the current generations.

A 1060 is between a 970 and 980 in terms of performance.

Hope you're fine with that.

I have a GTX 1080 and went with the 6600k OC to 4.0ghz. Not a single bottleneck so far.

>wants to play games in 1080
>gets a card that's 1060

what a fucking moron

Its a good card, you just might not be able to play on *Ultra* settings with new games at 60fps

graphics card prices return to MSRP levels when?

>tfw 780ti

liquid cooling is a consumerist meme

I got a 1060 and it feels like itll play anything this generation shits out effortlessly.

this card is perfect for 1080p. its what its for.
and ultra works fine. just dont crank the msaa

Lads, i bought the 1070 along a i5-6600k, did i do good?
tfw will finally be able to play anything released after 2010, feels good

I would have been happy with a fucking 960 when it came out.

YOU'RE PAYING ALMOST $300 FOR A CARD THAT CAN'T EVEN ULTRA EVERYTHING AT 1080p/60FPS.

It's obsolete already. If you're gonna spend hundreds anyway, just go for 1070 instead.

This is not funny

But I'm legitimately getting a GTX 1050 for my 1680x1050 monitor.

Is your monitor 144hz? If not you can't even fully enjoy the 1070

>but muh ultra settings on this one unoptimized shit game
>muh arbitrary 60fps target
Why is PC gaming so cancerous today?
A GTX 1060 will play any game on the market a 2560x1440 high settings or better. It's overkill for 1920x1080.

It's not YET but it's just the starting point, buying a new monitor, an ssd along my hdd and probably some other stuff later on

>60fps
>arbitrary
get a load of this guy

Steam brought consoletoddlers to PC.
Consoletoddlers think in terms of 30fps or 60fps targets.
This is why PC gaming is so shit today.

>arbitrary

>$4000 in total to play dumbed down console ports like Bitcher 3 in 1080P and acceptable framerate
I will just get a PS4 Pro

>this pleb wont wait for the ti
I bet you people buy iphone7 instead of waiting for 7S as well

But all the figures in his post add up to $1,900.

So you think paying almost $300 for a card that can't even ultra all the current games is okay, just because you use the "muh" buzzword? That's really all you got?

>C-consoles!!!!!!
Get over it loser

I vastly prefer it over having a heavy/big block putting strain on your cpu and potentially messing with the airflow in the case.

High everyone!
This is just a friendly reminder than Very High and Ultra settings are pretty much universally a waste of performance.

>drop shadow quality from ultra to high
>get stable 60+
>game almost looks the same

woooow

>Islam that low and not the highest.

I for one agree with you user, I need to upgrade to a new card (from my R7 260x) and I've been comparing the 1060 and the 1070 all day. There's a shit ton of benchmarking videos on YT and in most of them the 1060 gets 50~ish fps on the new games maxed.

Like wtf if I'm buying a new graphics card it better be able to max out the new shit and be future proof, I'm already paying hundreds of dollars for a card it might as well be a good one.

>Nintendicksuckers not leaving everyone behind by a mile
shit chart is shit

That's before tax and penis inspection fee. Remember, it's lol Murrikah.

Yeah I'm glad some people actually can think. The benchmarks say it all. It's stupid to get a near $300 card that is already obsolete.

The 1070 is slightly better than the 980ti and the 1080 is decidedly better

>almost
I don't want to play devil's avocado here, but I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there for all intensive purposes

youre a giant faggot you should kill yourself

Enjoy your shit breaking and ruining your entire rig, user.

But the 1070 is at least $200 more in Canada.

I'm fine with not maxing out every game out there.

I don't know what I'm doing honestly. I'm still looking into things before I go ahead and order everything.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I guess I could look into it. You think I'd be cool to drop an SSD to make some room in the budget? I hear its optional anyway, and I don't mind waiting during loading screens.

Game graphics already hit a standstill thats why the new buzzwords are 144hz and 4k, just grab a low to mid range card there's no futureproof in tech.

Come drive over here user and find a Microcenter, I'm sure you'll save money even with the cost of the gas lol

>haha consolepeasants! PC is vastly superior! join the masterrace!
>people buy PCs
>fucking shitty low/mid range PCs owners! fuck off!

Make up your mind, faggot.

>not knowing shit about watercooling except horrorstories

Ask your self which genre of games you play the most we'll point you in the right direction.

But then he might taste too much freedom and stay.

GUYS
Will a GOOD 500w be enough to OC a 6600K with a 1070 around?

Air cooling has been vastly improved these past years no point in a watercooling unless your using a tiny case which restricts airflow.

Absolutely not

>Nvidia marketeers working overtime to upsell tech illiterates
>futureproof meme
Please name a game a 1060 can't play on ultra at 1920x1080. There is probably only one.
Even a RX 470 costing $100 less will max out 95% of games at 1920x1080.

>game graphics already hit a standstill

You've been saying this every gen.

PC gamers are the biggest fucking niggers. Thats why i dont include myself in their reindeer games

>REEEEE YOU CAN BUILD A CONSOLE KILLER FOR $500

>$500 PC cant even run windows without overheating

>fucking console faggot you must have just built it wrong
>that build dont real, $500 can build 4K PC
>youre just lying to taint the master race name, i play BF4 maxed on $300 PC

>Nvidia marketeers

Wtf user I would LOVE to get an radeon card for my build since I like amd more but there are no powerful cards that fit in my microATX board (except for the fury but I can't spend $600).

Anyways like I said, the 1060 was getting 50 ish fps in the benchmark yt videos, they used games like the new Hitman, the new tomb raider, and the Witcher

holy fuck i hate this as well

the point isn't to just be slightly better, PC is better because of the freedom of choice and luxury, a 500$ computer would be limiting as fuck and it might as well be a damned console. if you're going to go PC, go all out. At least get to high-ultra @ 60fps 1080p.

Well If I got a better pc, probably everything with those crazy deals. I like Rpgs, FPS, Action-adventure, the occasional decent indie game, 4X (Civ V and Endless Legend probably run like shit, but I manage), and whatever Multiplayer game looks fun. I might even try racing games.

Benchmarks prove you wrong, poorfag.

Then wait for vega, q1 2017

What do you mean, what has changed in air cooling recently?

>there are people that bought the 1060

it's called 1060 since it's sub-1080p

you need the 1080 to play 1080p games

>Got 1060, up from 680
>Wanted 1080p@60
In hindsight, i should have gotten the 1070. That would have been 200$ more, totaling at 600$.

Now don't get me wrong, I can easily get 60 fps on everything I throw it at, but not on highest graphics settings. I have a 120 hz monitor so I try to keep my games at 120, so games such as Witcher needs to be on High to maintain 60+ stable fps.

Overwatch went from unstable 60 fps on medium to high to 120 Ultra / high on the 1060 though. Happy with that.

TL;DR 1060 is perfect for 1080p@60, provided you don't really care about maxing every graphic options.

Hmm thanks user I'll look into it, I just hope they won't be crazy expensive when they come out.

Agreed. Get the 1070.

Slight performance increase in cooling, but the biggest change is that the new cpus and gpus doesnt have a lot of room to overclock.

Cred Forums I'm on a budget and I want a card that will last me until 4k is viable and worth it.

>480
>390x
>R9 Fury
>980

What should I get?

Currently running 4790k and a 2GB 960

I got the 3GB version of the 1060 and am perfectly satisfied with it.

It'll be a long time before I need to lower the resolution to get 60fps and that's really all I care about. Anything more is just icing on the cake.

i think 980 but i'm retarded so dont listen to me

Depends on the price, R9 it the strongest of those cards. But will probably be expensive. 980 or 480 will easily keep your frame-rate fine for the upcoming years. That is unless you need to have everything on max, then a 1070/80 is needed or a R9 Fury

I have a 970 and an i5 2500K.

I currently can't max out Warcraft, and start having frame drops in non crowded areas at about a 7 or 8 on their slider.

What do I need to do to max everything on 1080p?

1060 a shit
just get a 1080 and use DSR

It's Fury not Fury X

Shit's already outdated and HBM is a joke compared to GDDR5

Upgrade your CPU.

>overclock your CPU
fix'd

Yes, the 1060 can run just about every game at 1080p over 60 fps.
The only game that seems to give the 1060 a little bit of trouble is the witcher 3 but that game with everything shot up to the highest settings is a monster.
Also keep your CPU in mind too.

Since it's a k series CPU he probably already has it OCd.

You should have no trouble maxing out Warcraft. overclock your CPU?

>HBM is a joke compared to GDDR5
More memory bandwidth than any GDDR5 card ever made.
A non-X Fury is a great card, if you can get it for a reasonable price

Then he really shouldn't need to upgrade it. An OC i5-2500k has more power than an i5-6500.

Im playing W3 right now with it and it runs it perfectly. But i also turn hairworks off like a sensible person.

The 1060 is more very capable of High/Ultra at 1080/60FPS. The only reason I even say 'High' is because double retarded shit like 8x MSAA has to be on to be considered true Ultra, even though its stupid overkill when 4x looks identical and can save you 15 frames.

I have a 750 ti, im currently saving money for gtx 1060 it's worth ?

>Buy this card
>No wait a bit more
>Buy this card
>No wait a bit more
>Buy this card
>No wait a bit more

When will I know Cred Forums?
I'm still going on with my 670, playing hitman 2016 takes a lot of mental leaps and denial

From a 750ti, yes but dont overpay for it

Yeah yeah, it still hits fine levels it just dips now and again with everything as high as can be.
Nothing lower then like, 45 though.
But don't listen to the masterb8ers
Its a good card.

>You think I'd be cool to drop an SSD to make some room in the budget? I hear its optional anyway, and I don't mind waiting during loading screens.
And SSD is more or less for your OS, and any everyday use programs such as browser, VOIP, Steam (but not all the games), any work related programs, etc to make them load a little faster. You can get by with a 120 gig SSD, but with 240 and higher being cheaper by the day, no reason not to get one that you can put some frequently played games on as well.

forgot my pic

Get 460-480 or 1050-1060 then start the wait a new.

Never, that's just how this business works. You buy the best value that's on sale and then you don't read about computer parts until you start feeling dissatisfied with your current build because there will always be better deals every few months.

when you start playing newer games and half to turn half the settings down, and you start to ponder why you built a PC if not to run things at their absolute best

Don't ever gimp on the SSD in this day and age. It's by far the biggest factor in the speed of your OS. It's not for games in case you were confused. Either get a 120 GB just for your OS and everyday use programs or get a 240 GB and throw on the occasional very slow load speed game, but really the latter is just a luxury, the former is one of the best bang for buck deals in a build.

I am from argentina everything here is overprice, the zotac 1060 mini is close to 400 dollars and is the more cheaper.

>Overwatch went from unstable 60 fps on medium to high to 120 Ultra / high on the 1060 though. Happy with that.
Fucking Overwatch runs fine on anything. There's only 12 players and all the maps are small.

I just looked again and the 120 was 44 bucks. I don't think It's gonna affect much by dropping it. Everything comes out to 1182 bucks. This could last the next couple of years right?

Can I get stable 60fps at 1080 if I combine this card with some decent ram?

What good brands put out 120ghz or higher monitors?

Is 4K fine on 60ghz?

So I was thinking about getting this build: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1VK-01JD-00052 which comes with a 1060, and for a bit less than $1000. All in all it's a very significant upgrade to what I'm currently using (pic related).

Should I go for it, Cred Forums?

get a cheaper mb and an better cpu cooler

>Kingston
don't do this. don't be cheap with your harddrive; get a samsung. Also, don't pay that much for windows, jesus christ. There's a subreddit called microsoftsoftwareswap, where you can get all types of windows keys for less than 20 bucks. Or just pirate it outright, but dont pay 80 bucks dude.

>have i3 and r9 290
>everything except mankind divided runs at ultra at 60 fps

Oh yeah, your build will last you for a good while unless something craps out.

Pic related, my computer. I don't plan on upgrading probably for another 3-5 years.

The 212 is fine if he doesn't plan on overclocking over 4.0ghz

So i finally got a job and im going to be irresponsible with the money and spend it all on getting a new pc. How much does it cost to build a high-end pc that can play games on max settings?

> (OP)
>The 1060 can't even play all current games on ultra. So yeah it's obsole already.
This is the most inaccurate bullshit tier statement ever.
I can get steady 60 fps without any input lag in DBD with ultra settings, and 120 fps on overwatch at super settings.
My current cpu is a core 2 quad q9550.
A fucking 2008 CPU needing a LGA775, implying the card is even running on pci-e 2.0.
Your argument is invalid on every level.

Dont go with 4k for gaming.
I got an acer XB270HUbprz 1440p 144hz IPS monitor and an standard samsung 4k TV and 1440p @144hz just feels better.

I don't see the point in a CPU cooler on a non-OC one, the stock cooler does just fine. Also, if you aren't going OC (i5-6600k) check how much cheaper the i5-6500 is, might be better value.

>2016
>paying for an OS

Oh yea my mistake I thought it was the k version

Depends on the resolution and framerate and if you include ridiculously wasteful features in max settings that are basically there just to make retards buy more expensive cards.

I have a 980 non TI but G1 Gaming (ie overclocked) and gets an average of 120-140 fps on my system with DOOM everything maxed out.

card has about 5.0 GFLOPS so i guess you're plenty good with that

Oh shit really? I wasn't confident in my ability to not fuck up pirating it so I didn't bother. And I thought WD was the bad one? I may have gotten them mixed up.

This would be my first PC, so I'm trying to take it easy on all of that OC stuff until I understand what I'm doing.

Thanks for the input guys.

>pirating your OS of all things

Enjoy your backdoors nigger

You can update pirate copies you know.

For HDDs, Toshiba and WD are both great. Seagate is usually fine too, but there are certain models (up in the 3 TB range i think) that have a higher than usual failure rate. For SSDs, samsung still mops the floor both in terms of speeds and longevity.

>Falling for the max settings meme

Maxing games out is the biggest scam around that fools people into buying GTX 1070s and even fucking 1080s for 1080p60 gaming. Just turn the goyworks shit like physx and hairworks off, and some of the other ridiculously demanding yet barely even perceptible shit down or off and you'll be absolutely fine. You'll be amazed at how little difference there is in dropping down from all ultra to very high in many games, yet you'll see big performance gains.

OP, as long as you're not retarded and know how to properly tune your graphics settings, the 1060 will be fine. It's what I went for, though take into account that the price gap between 60 and 70 models is higher in my region. 1070 might make more sense where you live, but if not, the 1060 is a great card. 1070 would make sense for 144hz, though.

Don't forget to overclock, either. There's a free 10% performance gain in it.

I've been thinking about buying a 1440p 144hz monitor and connecting it to my laptop via hdmi 2.0, can I do this or is it a lost cause?

I have a 1920*1080 laptop with 75hz and a 970m
Pls respons

Eh i rember my old 9550 back when i had no idea what cpu bottleneck was

Interesting. I found a Samsung 750 EVO for a couple bucks higher price. I think I'll the Kingston for this one.

no because the amd 480 is better

You dong like HGST?

>2016
>support the green jew

Enjoy your no driver support once the new cards launch

480 or the Fury

No chance.

haha no its rushed shit

rx480 if you are 60hz 1080p
1070 if you are higher

dont bother with gtx1080. it will get rekt early next year when everyone releases their HBM cards

Why would video memory bandwidth make any difference?

if you have to ask you are likely far too dumb to understand the answer.

so here is a food analogy:
tried sucking up a swimming pool with a straw? thats GDDR5
HBM is a fire hose

Well GDDR5X of the 1080 doesn't provide any major boosts in spite of having a much higher bandwidth. DDR4 having double the bandwidth of DDR3 is also completely negligible. Why the fuck would HBM be any different? Do you have any concrete benchmarks that would prove otherwise?

>My current cpu is a core 2 quad q9550
holy bottleneck, Batman

My 7870 is still running games fine.

Obviously it will be a pro, but people are hyping it up like it is the next big thing and not just another incremental step forward.

980ti=1070

>1070
>$799

What? You can get a 1070 for half that price.

>1080p gaming
Enjoy needing glasses in a few years from looking at such a blurry mess.

Why do people shitpost about low resolutions all the time?

All that really matters is PPI, and most monitors are around 100 anyway. Even those high end 34" 3440x1440 144hz displays are less than 110 PPI. A 15" 1360x768 screen is 105PPI.

get rx 480

My 1060 plays hitman and rise of the tomb raider at ultra, along with GTA V

Enjoying that 50 fps user?

>$400 for 144hz
i just got one for $180

get a sapphire 480

What would be a worthwhile upgrade for my gtx770?
I only care about 1080 gaming, but I might consider getting a 144hz monitor in the future.