Which game is better? Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?

Which game is better? Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?

strawpoll.me/11296264

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6yt4V7mG9jo&list=PLB258E4736A6BA8D1&index=31
youtube.com/watch?v=G4rrefSgjO0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like world more

why cant we just enjoy both

We can. Both are great games. I just made this thread for fun, and to stimulate discussion.

I'm sure it won't escalate into a flame war.

I like World more than 3. Hell I put SMB2 US over SMB3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

J/k, I think everyone enjoys both

World, because of the ability to revisit old stages, a save system, and generally just more stages+secrets.
SMB3 was fun when I was a kid, but SMBW is still fun to this day.

I like 3 more because of the item boxes and the difficulty. It also feels more like an adventure than World since it takes you into so many different places with all their own themes and stuff.

World however is way more comfier and relaxing.

oh! Member Supah Mawiio on NES and SNES?

>more like an adventure than World
Interesting. I also saw Mario 3 as an action game with adventure elements. Yet, I see Mario World as an adventure game with action elements.

Still pretty tight but World is gaining a lead

I'm going to go with 3. World is great though.

Can we all agree that Super Mario World is prettier?

3 was better.

world had no variety. it was either plains, underground, or forest

I think you are onto something.

But 3 was basically the first game I played where the hero made a really long journey that actually showed - like with a map + world themes changing. And then item box + a friend player who was helping to beat levels - it felt like a progress that was shared or something.

Also, me and my cousin played the All-Star version a lot so we could save our "journey" together.

I read the text, then I look at the screenshots and realize the text doesn't fit the game it describes. World is way better.

I can agree on it

It's pretty easy to break some levels with the tanoki suit - but it was also easy to break certain levels with the cape in World.

But I always saw the tanoki suit as something you had to earn by playing good and not getting hit by enemies so you lose it again, so I felt that was fair. The game even gives you P-wings you can essentially skip an entire level with if you don't get it - I think they are fair because they add strategy to the item box and map etc

Don't make me choose OP.

No, fuck that spiky fish

When I was a kid, we used to call her, "Big Mamma."

You can't save both Batman - You'll never make it there in time

3 is overall better designed, World is more fun to play.

NSMBU and NSLU are the top of the line, though.

It's not called Big Bertha though? Only the big fish in 3 is called it right? And they gave that big spiky one a different name?

>NSLU

Levels certainly were good, but I thought it was lazy for Nintendo to not redo the overworld and cutscenes, it wouldn't even take that much time, maybe introduce some new enemies aswell.

Man I love the blue shells. Also finding blue yoshi felt like such an achievement and then be running around abusing the wings

That's fair. I just thought it was cool to see a real expansion pack after all these years of people just doing DLC in parts.

Except it wasn't a expansion pack was it? It's a standalone game.

You can download it as one, just accessing it from the title screen of NSMBU. They also releaswd it as a stand alone, then as a dual pack with NSMBU

I prefer SMB3. Not even sure why. It just has a nicer feel to me. Maybe I have some latent memories of playing SMB3 when I was really little. Boomer castles and the airships give me a nostalgic feeling. World has some neat levels though.

>doge

>Super Mario Bros. 3 a.k.a. let's make half the levels autoscrollers: the game
No. World is better.

Sometimes I like world more than 3 and other times it's vice-versa. But after playing a lot of the original Super Mario or Super Mario World, going back to SMB3 is hard since it's so floaty and slippery compared to the other games. Still, after adapting to SMB3's floatiness you'll find yourself with arguably the best Super Mario game.

My vote goes to SMB3

>62% in favor of World
I always knew Cred Forums was full of casuals.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is an action platformer with exploration elements.

Super Mario World is an exploration platformer with action elements.

>NSMBU and NSLU are the top of the line, though.
>mario bros with walljumping

>not like more mechanics in your platformers
I bet you prefer classic Mega Man over the X series.

Yes actually. Classic Mega Man has a lot more platforming and overall better stage design. MMX is fun but it's more about clearing enemies than platforming. Play both series side by side and you notice the X games throw a lot more enemies at you than Classic.

3, world is boring and not fun

Super Mario World 3 is best game

the onyl real difficulty in mario is falling down pits/lava. once you add wall-clinging/jumping, it takes away most of that difficulty. also the extra twirl you cna do with the wiimote casualizes it even further. You are a terrible excuse for a gamer

its not like super meat boy, where the levels are designed around the mechanic

And it works very well. What of it?

I prefer classic to X, too.

classic megman is about 75% platforming, 25% shooting

MMX is the opposite

SMW > SMB2USA > YI > SMB3 > SMB > SMB2JP

>its not like super meat boy, where the levels are designed around the mechanic
Yes, yes it is. It just isn't as ludicrous as SMB. Walljumps are taken into account like the rest of the mechanics. Try playing the damn game.

>And it works very well. What of it?
wall jumping makes so casual

>SMB2USA
>Doki Doki panic re-skin above anything
Kill you are self for having a different opinion than me.

It really doesn't make it any easier than World or 3 were. And the Flying Squirrel suit is far less broken than the Cape or the Leaf.

Can we all agree that Kirby is a shit platforming series though?

It's Nintendo's weakest platforming IP.

>World winning

>the casual game is the one Cred Forums prefers
>expecting more from Cred Forums

Super Mario Bros. 3., but the All Stars version because it's prettier.

>Doki Doki panic re-skin
I like how people say this without actually knowing anything about Doki Doki Panic.

The original was shit and had a lot of problems and SMB2 USA fixed a lot of them. It's a straight up improved, actually good version of Doki Doki.

Kirby doesn't really work as a plataformer though. With the floating ability you can just skip everything.

>prettier

goodbye cute mario clouds, hello generic , souless clouds

I enjoyed 3 more. Each world was unique most of the levels in each world fit the theme. The difficulty ramped up linearly with each world getting progressively tougher. That isn't to say world wasn't close behind 3.

Look, we have this argument time and time again and I'm only going to say this one more time before I simply refer to this post for future arguments...

*IF* Mystic Gohan wanted to go Super Saiyan he could. No where did Toriyama state that Mystic form has made SSJ form impossible; Mystic is simply Gohan's latent potential completely realized. Vegeta states to Goku that Gohan's latent power is far beyond any of theirs because of his halfblood. We've seen that Mystic Gohan's base form is already more powerful than Super Buu, so if you multiply that by the multiplicative power increase granted from even just Super Saiyan level 1 if he were to transform while Mystic his power level would be greater than SSJ3 and possibly even Super Saiyan Rose. And that's just SSJ 1. Gohan is capable of SSJ2 so who knows what kind of power that would be like.

How shy are shy girls?

>I hate change!
All stars looks better in every way.

SMW is easier because its controls are much better.
But "muh cape", flying around is necessary so the player can explore the entire level searching for secrets, which is the main challenge of the game.

World, because the cape is the best power-up in the franchise and because I love the myriad of secrets in the game.

Skip to 2:00

youtube.com/watch?v=6yt4V7mG9jo&list=PLB258E4736A6BA8D1&index=31

A secret melody inside a secret world inside a secret world FUCK

First time I heard that as a kid it just blew my mind, this game felt like literal magic, so many secrets around it was like anything could happen.

Kirby is an action game, like Castlevania or Megaman, not a Platformer.

The one that has better ROM hacks.

Doki doki panic was initially supposed to be a mario game
They just chose not to put that much effort into it and released it as doki doki panic instead
Then they decided SMB2JP was too difficult for americans so they changed their minds about doki and made it into a mario game again
SMB2USA was always a mario game

>Doki doki panic was initially supposed to be a mario game
Not true. It was always meant to be a brand new 2D virtical platformer based on some festival or something, and when they were partway through Miyamoto gave permission to the team to "Make it a bit more like Mario" when they had trouble making it fun. But he also encouraged them to get creative and try new things, "as long as it's fun".
I miss that Miyamoto.

SMB 3 was probably the first game I ever beated, it was really ahead of its time and was a giant step foward when compared to the first two games. Thats the reason why I never wanted to play SMW, because even though it came out later it semmed to be way more simple while it also removed a lot of thing that made SMB3 great. The thing is, when I finally played the game I surprisingly loved it. I don't why but I think I liked it more than 3, even though I still think that 3 is objetively way better game now I completely understand why SMW is so beloved.

What are the differences between the two?

>because even though it came out later it semmed to be way more simple
This is just wrong.

SMW.

All that mattered back then was graphics, SMW owned it.

this is my favorite

i knows smb3 has a lot of nostalgia behind it but the og looks like ass compared to the allstars version

Has anyone counted the number of levels each game has? I assume World has more levels, and from what I remember they're generally longer, but does anyone know the numbers?

I think that if you only count legit levels, SMB3 might have a bit more.

Both are equally good so I'll have to let nostalgia choose for me and say Super. I was too young to fully enjoy 3 but at the right age for Super.

SMW has I think 74. But Star Road 3 and top Secret Area are such jokes they mosewell not exist.

Super Mario Bros 3 has more variety, but Super Mario World plays a hell of a lot better.

>try to play 3 again recently
>cant even get to world 3 without having to save scum

>that world that goes up into the clouds after
>that music

youtube.com/watch?v=G4rrefSgjO0

JUST

>Not saving up 8 Lakitu clouds just for this shit

Playing SMW nowadays is a fucking bore. The game only gets fun for me after Choco Mountain, while in SMB3 it picks up right after reaching World 4.

mario on a yoshi on a fish over the sea

I like World more

>Mario 3 is better because it's harder
stopped reading there

That's a Porcupuffer. It has made more appearances since New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Big Berthas and Boss Basses are big red Cheep Cheeps; the former shoots out its children from its mouth, and the latter tries to jump out of the water and eat you.

>GOD TIER
SMW
SMB3
SMG2
SM3DW
>HIGH TIER
SMB2 USA
SMG
Sunshine
Land 3
NSMBU
>MID TIER
SMB
SMB 2: Lost Levels
SM3DL
Land
Land 2
NSMB
NSMBWii
>LOW TIER
NSMB2

I've never played any Mario remakes, nor the shitty spinoffs like Mario Teaches Typing or Mario is Missing.

I think World is just slightly better. It had both easier and harder stages than 3. The beginning was easier and more simple, but the latter half got really challenging, especially past world 6.

3 has nothing on the Star World or Special World.

>Soul
Anyone who uses this "argument" should be castrated and then shot. I'm so sick of people accusing things they like of having "no soul", and acting as if they've said something profound.

Kirby is, by definition, a platformer. It focuses more on combat that on jumping, but that doesn't make it not a platformer.

Besides, Kirby is, along with Megaman, the best 2d platforming franchise. Platforming is at its greatest when it involves fighting. It's also why Wario is a god tier platforming franchise.

Bump 64 up one tier and it'd be perfect, but that might be just me

64 aged pretty poorly. The controls are mediocre, bad by today's standards even, and it looks like rotten ass.

Everything that Sunshine did wrong, besides the no post-game reward, was present in 64, so I think it's fair that they're about the same.

I think the controls are fine, but the camera definitely sucks ass and makes it pretty hard to pull anything cool off without the camera staring at the ground or some shit