Beat this lineup. Go ahead

Beat this lineup. Go ahead.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSX_3#Reception
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I beat all of them like ten fucking years ago you retarded faggot.

>only three good games
Wow it's fucking nothing.

>simulator shit
>hack and slash shit
>button mashing shit
>jrpg
>ok
>ok
>artsie fartsy feels shit
>furshit
>ok
>dead genre

Just out the gate, FF12 is better than 10. Both Vice City and San Andreas are better than GTA3. And Shadows is better tan Ico.

>they're shit because they're not nintendo games

>FFX
>GTA3
>DMC
>ICO
>MGS2
>SH2

you can't. you literally can't

Game cube was better. I had a ps2 and I switched to Wii in the next generation. My friend used to bring over his game cube to be play melee. I wish brawl and 4 were as good as melee.

>One console sold 3 times all the other consoles combined
>It has the largest, most balanced and full of 10/10 games
>easy as fuck to pirate, plays DVD and its backwards compatible with the PS1

>Theres people who unironically doesnt think that the PS2 is -and will be- the greatest console ever made

>Beat this lineup.
>Proceeds to list games that came out on the same system.

The PS2 has a shitload of games but I'd hardly say its full of 10/10 games.

The fact that the PS4 is NOT backwards compatible is one of the greatest reasons why I have not yet purchased one.

I would buy one in a fucking millisecond if it had backwards compatability with PS1-3 titles and a better resolution for PS1/2 games. I would pay $200 more for one, in fact. It's literally all I want in life.

But we'll never have it. The closest I'll get is my PC, but even PS2 emulation isn't perfect yet. At least FFXII is.

None of those games were released in a single season user and all of them on PS2.

There will never be a single year as good as 2001 again.

so fucking contrarian I bet you're jerking off to yourself right now

It wasn't even the best console of its generation.

damn right mother fucker. PS2 bros also got to play some gamecube only exclusives. I'm happy to have played RE4 and Killer 7 during my ps2 days.

Can you even read? It's good releases within a limited time frame, not over the console's life span. When did Gamecube have a period of a few months with that many good releases?

>One console sold 3 times all the other consoles combined
How many of those were 3rd worlders using it for a FIFA machines or people needing a replacement because of the shitty disc drive

Viewtiful Joe series and such.

>quantity over quality
LMOA

ok ill take the bait

see
It had both, but you would've known that if you weren't around 10 when it came out.

>list padded out with multiplats and outright bad games
Some things never change.

>they're bad cuz I said so

Some things never change.

>All those normie sales because of the DVD player feature

PS2 was heralding the "social gaming" bullshit.

make a list of the GC, Dreamcast and Xbox games in one single image. I bet even combining all the games, it wont be more than the PS2 exclusives, and probably half of the games gonna suck.

GameCube exclusives during that gen

>Rogue Squadron
>Animal Crossing (with NES games)
>Wind Waker (I don't even like most Zelda and this is an amazing game)
>Eternal Darkness
>Pikmin
>Smash Bros
>Wario World
>F Zero TX

And a ton more I can't even remember.

>"Multiplats don't count"
Spotted the Nintendo fag

>And a ton more that no one cares because they are shit

FTFY

>not having a PC at any point in life

>Eternal Darkness

only good game listed

>I like playing the worst possible version of a game
Like I said, somethings never change.

>and a ton more

Nope.

Ah, so now multiplats count because they're on PC?
Fucking hypocrite.

You can't remember because they don't exist.

>they only count if they're on PC haha

Multiplats count for the system they're the best on, 99% of the time its PC unless the port is really that bad.

>multiplat on PC in the 2000s
(you)

>having to buy a console and afford a PC to play the same games than having only one console
>bad thing

>talking about consoles
>PC always comes up

How the fuck is PC relevant in a thread about consoles?
>Nintendo fags need to cling to PC to remain viable

Then just say that. Not much of a console if it can't stand on its own merits.

>its okay when the ps2 has timed exclusives and also loses exclusives because of muh nostalgia

No. Multiplats count for every platform.

If the multiplat was on PC it was also on Xbox and better on Xbox than PS2. Clearly the Xbox is superior then.

Kids are too young to remember there was a time where consoles and pcs were separate. These days all they know is begging for console games because Microsoft took all the PC devs to 360 and ruined both console gaming by bringing PC patch mentality and dlc to the consoles as well as PC by gutting it of all but eastern european devs.

It's not that they cling to PC to remain viable; it's more the fact that Nintendo consoles don't have enough games to satiate their owners' gaming appetite so they need a PC.
Someone with only an Xbox, a Playstation or a gaming PC can survive with that platform alone. Someone who owns a Gamecube Wii U can't say the same.

> a game finally goes multiplatform after 5 to 15 years
> suddenly 2001 got rekt

user.

man, Socom was literally the greatest online console gaming experience of all time

Not even close to the best year for video games. Every console and the PC beat that handily in 1998.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming

>5 to 15 years
>mgs2 was ported in 2002
>baldurs gate was ported in 2002
>gta 3 was ported in 2002
>silent hill 2 was literally ported within months

what the fuck are you talking about?

no they don't
look a the current generation; you're really going to tell me that GTA V and Witcher 3 count as console games? they run at medium settings 30fps with dips.

That's exactly why I owned a NES, SNES, Playstation and Playstation 2 even when I had a game-capable PC: PC and consoles were separated ecosystems, barring the rare port (Resident Evil 3 PC, Doom Playstation).
Then, during the PS360 era except for a few exclusive titles everything started coming to PC.

I like how the person who made this made SkyGunner the first to show up.
God tier game, and the slowdown in that game was to rack up more points.

>RE2's N64 port took less than a year
Holy fuck that's amazing.

im gonna be a contrarian and say pic related

Well, they're designed with consoles in mind so yeah, they count as console games. Same with the Souls games.

can't we just agree that 1998-2005 were the golden age of vidya and everything has been shit since then?

2010 was a good year

1.Xbox exclusives are almost zero
2.The biggest Xbox exclusive (Halo) was on PC
3.The xbox controllers were shit compared to the DS2
4.Many multiplats were never ported to the Xbox, like RE4

> 1998
> beat it handily
> 2001

Unless they're missing a shitton of games you should go look at the 2001 list and rethink the mistakes of your youth. 1998 is slim pickings compared to 2001.

>And a ton more
LOL

Sega, Team Ninja and Microsoft Studios all put out quality exclusives for the original Xbox.
And now you're gonna talk about exclusives being ported? Its pretty hard to name more than a handful of PS2 exclusives that didn't get ported, even then most of the time its because the Xbox was discontinued early due to a shitty agreement with Nvidia. Unlike when games got ported to PS2, when they got ported to other systems they were improved and not downgraded.

>Alien Hominid
>Shooter

I would agree that the PS2 was not as good as the others in terms of hardware, but damn it was good enough for me.

looking at the releases schedule is pretty insane

Almost as mind blowing as this.

>implying you aren't going to get nothing but contrarian opinions
user stop

first post best post

>dead genre

dude survival horror was dead in 2001 lmao

Does the GameCube have this kind of list?

Who wore it best?

>2009
>mw2
>not demons souls

terrible list

it's almost like the impact of the game is considered

Snes and PS2 were the best systems in terms of library. Prove me wrong.

that's the point shitter

yeah im sure ssx 3 had a huge impact in the industry

nothing else came out that year

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSX_3#Reception

i fail to see your point

It sold a million copies.

Some are arguably the best in their franchise, the other ones are masterpieces and the rest are just incredibly great games.

You literally can't beat this lineup.

whoa....a million copies, really makes me think

SNES had a better lineup in the same time span.

I'm biased because I played ps2 way more than snes, but PS2 beats SNES by a very small margin. It's just THE console.

That was a lot in 2003.

>nintendrone logic

Post images, if you can back up that statement I'll suck your dick.

madden was selling that much during that time

what is Renderware?

not even, its like from sept to dec 2001
i remember buying ALL those games that season

that is some vintage burn
got anymore?

don't use the japanese release, idiot

the us release wasn't until the 23 of sept

So? Its to show how impressive SM64 was back in 1996.

Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Bomberman Hero
Dance Dance Revolution
Fallout 2
F-Zero X
Gauntlet: Legends
MOTHER FUCKING GLOVER
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
House of the Dead 2
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Metal FUCKING Slug 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pokemon Yellow
Quake 2
Resident Evil 2
Soul Calibur
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Starcraft (and Brood War)
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

>And a whole bunch of other games I didnt play like Sonic Adventure and X-Com: interceptor

>meh, meh, good, meh, meh, multiplay, eh, meh, mediocre, good
You can do better, would not buy console for that lineup

multiplat I meant

on one system though?
in one season?

/thread

>Beat this lineup.

challenge accepted

The argument is over "the best year in video games", not seasons or platforms. Leave the goalposts where they were.

The first Jak is a great game, almost as good as Mario 64 and Banjo

>how impressive it was
>when quake was much more impressive

That's a sourceport you dingus. Software Quake was much less impressive than SM64, even GLQuake doesn't have the massive levels with huge drawdistaces of Mario 64.

i can run mario 64 through an emulator at the same resolution and it would look like i cherry picked a shit scene anywhere i stood. also there are plenty of maps bigger than mario 64 levels like the first secret map

>artsie fartsy feels shit

I'll never understand why Ico is billed as this. There's nothing hard to understand or abstract about the game's mechanics. Nigga you want to play a REAL ARTSY GAME? Because the indie alt scene is much worse and way less conventional than Ico.

clinton desu

I'm not talking about emulation or sourceports and there is no level in Quake with as far a draw distance as the ones seen in Mario 64. Its got very corridor based maps because it was designed to run on just a CPU (which is really impressive for the time).

>Cheap DVD player that can also play games
>Disc read error, meaning you'd have to buy multiple PS2s
PS2's numbers are inflated.

read op

that is the only thing we should be caring about

it wasn't ANYTHING near as bad as RROD, so no one cares about it.

faggot

It was just as bad as RROD, PS2's hardware was a joke and so defective Sony lost a class action lawsuit over it.

yeah, but i didn't have to send back several 360 and more that went over the fucking 1 year replacement because MS knew about the defects and knew that it would only last 1 year.

FPBP

>PS4
>2015 Q4 had shit releases.
>2016 Q4 is going to have shit releases.
>Sonyggers so desperate for shit to talk about this holiday season that they're bringing up PS2 games.

Psx. The problem with this was that ps2 launch was summoner and bouncer. Bouncer was one of the worst tech demo/gamd ever

MGS3
SH2
DMC3
R&C3
Sly 2
P4
RE4

All easily 10/10

>He's bragging that the cheap DVD player sold a boatload

My aunt had a PS2, she didn't touch video games, it was solely for DVDs. In fact the bundle I was given came with a fucking DVD remote. I still got that remote

>RE4
Inferior to the GameCube version released first
>SH2
Inferior to the Xbox version released after.

Most japenese companies started going to shit. Most sequels to psx games blew far worse

quake had bigger levels and it was capable of having bigger. there is no detail in mario 64 levels in comparison either, almost always being a floating island with nothing on it but sprites that made up enemies and trees

PS2 was the last great console.

I don't know how many times I have to say it but no map in Quake has the kind of huge map with long draw distances you see in Mario 64, if you think there is one show me. Mario 64 had 3D enemies too as well as texture filtering and anti aliasing before Quake.

Replace FFX with SMT: Nocturne, and this is good.

if you were alive and not fucking 3 years old, you would KNOW that DVD players were expensive back then. same with PS3 and its blu ray functions, but not many bought it for that because lel fuck blu rays.

im finding tons of blu ray movies and shit at flea markets already, like in the dvd amounts, filling boxes and whatnot

Probably a shitposting Nintencuck but Xbox was the true winner of that generation

>If you were alive and not fucking 3 years old

And if you weren't a retard tribal nigger who can't even figure out simple math.

>fuck blu rays

Still really the only way to watch uncompressed, 1080p content legally.

but SMT 3 didn't come out til 2003 and that list was for fall/winter releases for 2001 that were at the time PS2 fucking exclusive

all that good shit in that short amount of time AND all on one console AND FUCKING EXCLUSIVE?

yeah, show me another console that has that...

Here's what I don't understand

>PS2
160million units sold

>Library:
Filled with thousands of top quality games. Absolute master piece and classics, some of the best action, jrpg, driving, adventure, pretty much every genre you can think of.

>wii
100 million units sold

>Library
Literally struggle to even think of 3 good games for it. 99% of its library was fucking shovelware garbage

What did Nintendo do so wrong?

also the only way to play xbox one games is with a sony blu ray drive and sony blu ray discs

SONY ALWAYS WINS!

Here's what I don't understand

>user
Shitposts and strawmans, for what purpose?

you do fucking know that it ONLY sold 100 mil because it was nintendo and it was a new concept?

i mean, its the SECOND nintendo console without a mainline mario game for launch. wii didn't get that for a WHOLE FUCKING YEAR until 2007 Nov with ur mr gay

>the best ps2 games were from third party support
>nintendo doesnt have a good relationship with third party companies

not that hard to figure out, also the wii has a lot of good games

that list has a lot of flaws
games like nfs hot pursuit 2 are not sony exclusive, infact the xbox and windows versions were superior as it was common in that time
Oh and red dead revolver isn't a multiplatform game, so what the fuck is up with that list

You know exactly what I mean

PS2: Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts, Dragonquest, Ace Combat, Dark Cloud, Persona, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Ico, Ape escape, etc

The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on

wii: Xenobade? Mario kart 8, Last story, Mario galaxy

What is to understand? They sold well for different reasons. Wii became popular because it was a household fad to own one. Everyone bought one to play Wii Sports. Most Wiis were used only a handful of times before everyone got bored.

Games sales on the Wii outside of a few specific Nintendo titles like Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Wii Sports 2, and the NSMB stuff never came close to matching the hardware sales. So devs had little interest in developing for them. And since the hardware was literally a Gamecube, porting newer games was impossible.

Basically Nintendo's focus on a gimmick hit gold once, but it all fell apart. Now nintendo is desperately trying to hit the gimmick gold again, and failing every time.

>also the wii has a lot of good games
This

The meme/bait that the wii has no good games needs to die.

A surprisingly high number of quality "hardcore" games. $250 at launch during a recession. Perfect backwards compatibility with GameCube.

And if you don't have fond memories of Wii Sports or some other similar active/party game, sorry you don't have friends :/

there are no maps in quake with enough nothingness to see that far but the engine is plenty capable of having a level as basic as a super mario 64 level at even better draw distance without fog, with baked shadows and textures the size of my thumb
>4096 units is the base maximum unit size of a BSP of most quake engines

And no computer at the time could ever run said map.

(You)

I don't own a Wii, but I'll do your work for you, you lazy inbred shit.

>Super Mario Galaxy
>Super Mario Galaxy 2
>Twilight PRincess
>Smash Bros Brawl
>Skyward Sword
>Xenoblade Chronics
>Okami
>Wario Ware
>Mad World
>No More Heroes
>Punch Out!!
>Fire Emblem
>Mario Kart Wii
>RE4
>Rhythm Heaven Fever
>DKC Returns
>NSMB series
>Wii Sports

Again, I don't own a Wii and never owned one. So don't bother greentexting them all as
>Shit
>Shit
>Shit

Name 10 great "hardcore" Wii games.

>galaxy twice
>listing literal multiplats

Most of those games are the eqivilent to experimental indie titles from third party developer but since it comes out of Nintendo E&D fans will dickride it to eternity.

The PS2 has 20 times the amount of good games than that list

>listing literal multiplats

So you want to remove Final Fantasy from that list? And Ace Combat?

>The PS2 has 20 times the amount of good games than that list

Again, I didn't own a Wii. I owned a gamecube/Ps2 and then a Ps3. All I know is, PS2 definitely did not have this "20 times" amount you're talking about. It had a shit load of shovelware bullshit that I got to "experience" every time I had take care of my younger cousins. Like Barbie Pony Adventures 1 through 5 and Shrek the video game 1 - 4.

Galaxy 1
Galaxy 2
DKC Returns
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Metroid Prime 3
Twilight Princess
Mad World
Radiant Dawn
Tatsunoku vs Capcom
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
NSMB Wii
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes

ez

and yet the PS2 is the best selling console of all time.....

really makes you think............

it didn't even have Bully so no

most of those are casual

if it has any kind of waggle or sensor bar use, it's casual.

i bet you i could remake bobomb battlefield and run it on a pentium. there are more polygons in a single room in quake than there are the entirety of a super mario 64 level

here is a map made by czg

>>>NSMB Wii
>"""hardcore"""

>if it has any kind of waggle or sensor bar use, it's casual.

You have bad opinions.

Silent Hills 2 is the only good game on that lineup

>there are more polygons in a single room in quake than there are the entirety of a super mario 64 level
Not true and that map wasn't included in software Quake nor would it run well on a typical PC at the time.

(You)

Read the post that list was in response to

>1998 is slim pickings compared to 2001.

Fucking troglodyte

i just thought it looked cool, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have run back then with optimization. here is one that is on the official game that ran in software mode. show me a single mario 64 level more complex. only thing i could think of that might compare is the pyramid level but last i played that wasn't as big as i remembered either. there are dozens of enemies each firing projectiles

also this is on normal, there are many more enemies on nightmare

BILL BILL BILL

There isn't any Mario 64 map as complex but that's because its a platformer and not an FPS. There isn't a map in Quake as open as Mario 64's levels for the same reason only in reverse. All I'm saying is Mario 64 was more technically impressive for the time due to its use of texture filtering, anti aliasing and minimal render fog with large maps.

THATS IT FUCKO, WITH CARMACK AS MY WITNESS I WILL PROVE YOU WRONG. YOU HAVE EVOKED MY AUTISTIC WRATH AND I FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE. ONE DAY YOU MARIO 64 FUCKERS WILL KNOW POWER, I SHOW YOU POWER HAHHAHAHAHAHA

>PS2fags

>ghosthunter
>69
what were their complaints?

>God Hand fags
see? a number justified my whole argument too. Trust journalists when it's convenient, don't trust them when it's not. fuck off

Was posting great games part of your plan?

Holiday 2016 and Q1 2017 PS4 Exclusive Software Titles > Fall and Holiday 2011 Exclusive Software Titles

Final Fantasy XV > Final Fantasy X
Nioh > Devil May Cry
The Last Guardian > Ico
Resident Evil 7 > Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo Sport > Gran Turismo 3
Yakuza 0 > Grand Theft Auto 3

we'll be gaming in the Clinton years again soon enough lads

DC US launch games:
U.S. launch: September 9, 1999

AeroWings
AirForce Delta
Blue Stinger