What are some good spooky games for October?

What are some good spooky games for October?
I'm trying to collect a few to play before Halloween month actually starts.
Already got Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Should I get MediEvil, or the remake of it for the PSP MediEvil Resurrection? Is MediEvil 2 worth playing?

Does RetroArch have support for PS2 or will I need a seperate program for that?
I want to play Darkwatch.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=vF8rdHz2wZw
youtube.com/watch?v=dQABIILCfuo
youtube.com/watch?v=8rVsgJ28qt0
youtube.com/watch?v=5IPOBZTOOcs&list=PL598F20442782BB0C&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=5HLZ04v2Umg&list=PL598F20442782BB0C&index=5
youtube.com/watch?v=DUPI8LAOSng&list=PL598F20442782BB0C&index=7
youtube.com/watch?v=k_1HUC0jIkg&index=8&list=PL28C1E17B4CD0A2E2
youtube.com/watch?v=KGNOgoW1_wou
youtube.com/watch?v=bBqlTssw5j8
youtube.com/watch?v=1MhlrKheSC0
youtube.com/watch?v=rzil5K2i_hY
youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA
youtube.com/watch?v=lJg08y-YlCk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just play the first two PS1 games. The remake is okay but is a vasty different experience.

I also recommend Maximo for PS2 and Demon's Crest for SNES.

>Castlevania
>Medievil
>spooky
U wot m8?? Also, the PSP remake sucks ass.

>using retroarch
dis-fucking-gusting!

Want some actually scary games for Halloween, that aren't just mere jumpscare-fests? Then give the OG Silent Hill games a shot!

Here's the SH PC Guide, that'll help you run them smooth and pretty on modern machines, plus the DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.

here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

You could also try the new PGXP emulator, that adds Perspective Correction to PS1 textures.

MediEvil autist here, OP. It's my most favorite game ever so I'll give you a rundown
>MediEvil 1
Play it, it's essential Playstation kino and considered one of the best games aside from the obvious choices like FF7. Despite the sort of shoddy platforming in one level, the design in the levels and the enemies and the characters and gameplay is 10/10.
The game does a good job of getting you hooked and setting up the appropriate atmosphere. It's dark and quirky and can get some legit spooks out of the player.
It's a genuinely fun game that you have to play for Halloween.
>MediEvil 2
This one is considered not as good as the original but still pretty damn good. It feels like they tried to put in too much and the tone and design of the levels and gameplay is all over the place but you can still get enjoyment out of it. It's to be expected as none of the original team worked on it aside from I think one of the concept artists.
It's still fun and does offer a ton of content so give it a go.
>MediEvil Resurrection
This one is pretty polarizing if you played the original. It improves on some things but fails at others. It ditches the tone and feel of the original and replaces it with a more "Dreamworks"-esque feel which is pretty off putting. For example, Dan has a qise-cracking worm genie in his skull that doesn't shut up for the whole game.
The gameplay is slower than the first 2 games as well but it does make combat more methodical and a bit more intense in my opinion as you really have to be careful.
The audio and visuals are top fucking notch though, it has some of the best music I've heard in vidya and some of the voice acting is decent.
However this game is very different from the other 2 and isn't scary at all, so play it if you really really want to.

tl;dr Definitely play 1, play 2 for more and decide if you want to play the remake

also I'll be dumping MediEvil images

The first MediEvil is wonderful, I didn't like 2 as much though. I haven't played Ressurrection but people often say it ruinned everything.

There's a thread on /vr/ with Halloween game recommendations if you are interested.

>U wot m8??
Not spooky spooky.

Halloween spooky.

This is the Japanese cover, it made Dan cuter and gave him a helmet to wear because Japs thought he was too scary for kids.

None of those games are spooky m8. Get silent hill 1 or emulate it. Spoiler:Buy it:Spoiler

Halloween is the time for TRUE SPOOKY.
The more brick-shitting, the better.

pic very related; the top spook.

Map from MediEvil Resurrection

Map from the original

>Sven Coop AoM
>say that it's not scary
>get kicked and banned by admin for that

Now here's some concept art for the original game.

>playing horror in co-op
>playing the old 2005 AoM instead of the vastly superior, non co-op-able AoM:DC

What's wrong with Retroarch? It's what /vg/ emulation shit recommends.

in terms of quality, MediEvil 1 > Resurrection > MediEvil 2

in terms of spooky, MediEvil 1 > MediEvil 2 > Resurrection

Retroarch devs are more concerned about how complex it is rather than actual playibility.

Alien Isolation is pretty spooky

>/vg/ emulation shit recommends
there's your problem.
The fucking thing is a terrible, clunky mess with no real GUI, no enhancement options whatsoever on its own either. People always repeat the "it's the most accurate emu out there!" mantra, as if it'd mean jack shit.

Funfact: even ePSXe is more "accurate" than Retroarch / Mednafuck today. You can also get that same native, unfiltered 240p visuals + NTSC filters on it if you so desire, using Software plugin.

short version: it's nothing special, and quite terrible to use.

>"Get Retroarch! It's the best emu eva'!"
>Download and unpack it
>can't use mouse to control GUI
>no basic Windows GUI at all, just consolitis-menus
>"Oh, you want to play games? You first need to download 'CORES' !"
>these cores = literally other emulators that you install on the system
>"Aight, you got cores, but you're lacking configs? Better download those too!"
>the configurations done via the Retroarch itself don't stick
>"Lol what a noob! You gotta edit .INI files in a text editor, you pleb!"
>finally get a game to start, yet performance is fucking awful, even in fucking SNES games
>"Seriously son? Try some OTHER core! And this time configure it right!"
At this point you've wasted 30 minutes just trying to get this shitty husk of an emulator LAUNCHER to even work, while the results end up being terrible. Meanwhile any actually smart person would have already downloaded all the emulators and the plugins needed himself, set them up as he pleases, and got playing the games.

>no real GUI
?

I don't know anything about this kinda shit, I'm a literal retard when it comes to retro gaming and I found it super easy to get working when I just read the directions given.

Granted I haven't played anything other than Castlevania on it.

This is some next level of scrub right here.
Get PPSSPP, PCSX2 and maybe Dolphin stand alone versions but for everything else Retroarch+frontend is the master race.

What are some other gothic style games? I need more.

>Darkwatch
What is this game and why have I never heard of it?

retroarch is not an emulator. It's a literal husk to which you slap emulators in. No idea why you even would need such pointless creation.

Mednafen is the most common "core" which Retrofags use, and it literally has no GUI of its own. Which is why it's usually combined with Retroarch.

>literal HC Linux-tier "just compile it urself!" faggotry, combined with literal Apple-faggotry
>best at anything
Yeah, no fucking thanks.
Excuse me while I'll use the vastly superior emulators with superb new enhancement options, that also come with their proper Windows GUIs and settings.,

Play PS1 MediEvil because it's GOAT, anything after that is optional. Also, I'd say the Corpse Party PSP games are pretty good around Halloween time, same with the Fatal Frame series.

Try the first Devil May Cry.
Also, LoK Soul Reaver, maybe.

>No GUI!
Pleb.
>Settings
When you load a game with it's core you can press f1 to access the menu, there's a choice called "options" in the quick menu and that's were all the core-specific core settings are.

What are the "vastly superior emulators" you speak of?

In terms of spooky I would actually put 2 above 1.

like the fucking filename?

And my point still holds: no mouse controllable GUI, no use. The lack of anything worthwhile and forced software mode only make it worse.

I wouldn't. Gallowmere in general was a creepier setting than London was, and was much better off for it.

>Despite the sort of shoddy platforming in one level
The Lake, right? The one where you need to collect souls for the boatman?

>Medievil

That game is still selling copies in 2016.. all of them in october.

>Spooky

That's Ancient Pools of the Dead, but The Lake is indeed the worst level in the game despite the frozen whirlpool bit being cool as fuck.

Yep that one

I think it was for getting one of the Lost Souls though from what I remember you could skip one or two of them.

MediEvil 1 had stuff like the Haunted Ruins, the Hilltop Mausoleum, the Ant Caves, Pools of the Ancient Dead, and the Gallow's Gauntlet.

The only kinda spooky things MediEvil 2 to me were Wulfrum Hall and Whitechapel, which had pic related.

Drunk and didn't read the thread. Playing Koudelka again to celebrate fall.

Only in certain levels, and even then it was still goofy Tim Burton-esque halloween style horror. The second game still had some of the goofiness but was otherwise much darker.

Midnight creatures for ps1. Played it when I was 6, still have ptsd.

youtube.com/watch?v=vF8rdHz2wZw
youtube.com/watch?v=dQABIILCfuo
youtube.com/watch?v=8rVsgJ28qt0

Cred Forums hyped up midwives so hard that I was actually kind of disappointed when I did finally fight them. I hated the fucking spiders a lot more in all honesty.

MediEvil was one of the most formative games in my life.

You are really triggering me, MediEvil autist.

In a good way.

Alright so you have the PS1 covered, what about the other 20 worthwhile consoles/handhelds?
>no mouse controllable GUI
There is mouse support though, i disable it because it's fucking retarded to use it with a mouse, besides you can control the GUI with your damn controller, it's more confortable to use you controller since you're already using it to play the game.
>forced software mode
I really wish they fixed the d3d support (technically you can use it but it crashes the program and renders it useless, forcing you to install it again. It's a death trap for beginners), but the only consoles you would ever really need hardware graphics are the PS2, GC and Wii. That's why i recommended using stand-alone emulators for those consoles.

Only thing scary about Ant Caves was the music.

Also the enemies in general had more horrifying designs than the first game.

>no mouse controllable GUI
>forced software mode only
Sir, I'm going to need you to step out of the car. Your emulators aren't updated.

>MediEvil was one of the most formative games in my life.

This. I'm pretty sure it's the reason why I like Gothic horror shit at all.

Glad I could do that, user.

Medievil was my first Playstation game ever. After many years on some halloween weekend i downloaded most of the game horror soundtrack on my iPod and there still it is.

>spiders
yeah, fuck them jumping at your face. I'm not even afraid of spiders or facehuggers in general but it made me jump seeing something that big making that noise go right for my eyeballs

Did you like the surprise?

I'm sadly the kind of autist who's creeped out more by music when it comes to levels.

The shitting lighting in that level and the boss didn't help.

Just fucking admit you don't know anything. You're just going to give bad advice.

You were retarded when Retroarch was more obtuse, and you're still retarded now that it's user-friendly.

So does anyone have any info on the deleted levels?

I was too scared to play MediEval when I was young. That intro CGI cutscene gave me nightmares

I figure if I actually get around to playing it now, I'll be really underwhelmed

>Tim Burton

And that's all I got of the concept art so after this, I'll post miscellaneous images

You won't be.

youtube.com/watch?v=5IPOBZTOOcs&list=PL598F20442782BB0C&index=1

youtube.com/watch?v=5HLZ04v2Umg&list=PL598F20442782BB0C&index=5

youtube.com/watch?v=DUPI8LAOSng&list=PL598F20442782BB0C&index=7

Only one of them has any gameplay footage at all.

The game also had music for a deleted level where you played as the worm inside Dan's skull which can only be access by cheat codes.

youtube.com/watch?v=k_1HUC0jIkg&index=8&list=PL28C1E17B4CD0A2E2

Googled this and I got Nightmare Creatures. Is that what you're talking about, because it looks pretty sick. Looking at a few minutes of gameplay here and this motherfucker is dismembering werewolves and zombies with a goddamn staff.

The game is still pretty spooky, user. Gets me everytime.

Forgot pic.

Might as well recommend the first American Mcgee's Alice and leave a few tracks here.

youtube.com/watch?v=KGNOgoW1_wou
youtube.com/watch?v=bBqlTssw5j8
youtube.com/watch?v=1MhlrKheSC0
youtube.com/watch?v=rzil5K2i_hY

It's not so much that they were fast and more that they were both needlessly resilient and poisoned you with EVERY hit they landed. Spiders were annoying motherfuckers. Midwives were creepy but a couple whacks and they're down, plus they don't fucking poison you. Seriously, that was the most annoying thing.

and that's all I got unfortunately, hope you guys liked it

I don't mean underwhelming in the sense that its not a well designed game, that artwork ITT seems pretty cool.

I meant underwhelming in that it's nowhere near as spooky as my young mind imagined it to be.

The camera and combat is admittedly of its time but the game's charm is timeless. MediEvil has more of a personality than most games nowadays.

Good share user!

Clock tower series has some spoops

thanks for reminding me Daniel was in Sony Smash Bros. with Donte, user

pic related, who won?

I still need to play the early Clock Tower games. I've played 3 and Haunting Ground, though. The latter was vastly superior, though CT3's cutscenes are at least quite impressive on a technical level.

Why this game so formative for many of us back in the day?

Spooky.

Move this thread to /x/

Because we either had taste or siblings/parents with taste. Also, considering a good chunk of Cred Forums is in its early/mid 20's, we were children when MediEvil was new.

>considering a good chunk of Cred Forums is in its early/mid 20's
>imblying

>someone saved not only my shitty art but two of my drawthread deliveries

Well how about that.

OP here I literally only know this game because of Cred Forums.

Thanks you guys. I mean it.

I fucking loved halloween games, its a shame there's no good ones nowadays.
Medivil, Jersey Devil, ZOmbies ate my neighbors. and you better believe i shit my pants when i realized you could activate Halloween Mode in SMW. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, and i lve replaying the classic cheesy halloween-esque games and the gritty early horror games before they became nothing but jumpscares.

Doom 64 EX
Quake 1
Eternal Darkness
Call of Cthulhu
The Suffering
Fatal Frame 1-5
Dead Space 1

is doom 64 more spooky than doom 1/2?
i thought it was basically just a port

Doom 64 is a completely different game with redone graphics, music and lighting engine. PS1 Final Doom is a port with some eerie music and different lighting effects.

Look up Doom 64 EX, it's got its own sourceport so it won't run with GZ/Z/Chocolate Doom but highly recommend playing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA
youtube.com/watch?v=lJg08y-YlCk

Darkwatch is great just for how much of the game reads like a lyric sheet for a concept country metal album, but you can't help but love a game with:
>Vampire cowboys
>Seductive ghosts
>Ancient secret societies that use steam engines to transport ancient evils
>Shotguns that are also axes