Does Doom II suck cock? Why was it so inferior to the first Doom?

Does Doom II suck cock? Why was it so inferior to the first Doom?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/44lhqrsUTlo
youtube.com/watch?v=UHvdY53AOMw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shit levels

This. Mostly shit music too.

Also Pain Elemental and more fucking hitscan enemies.

So I was in some level, 7 or 8 where there was a spiderdemon, I spent tons of ammo on it, just to figure out later you could kill it by pressing a button that crushes it.

Now I'm running low on ammo on level 9, I guess that fight causing me to spend so much ammo was partly responsible for that.

That was level 6, The Crusher.
It should've been pretty obvious to you from the title alone.

the first thing that I wanted was to eliminate this big fucking thing that has hitscan shit, I don't think much about exploring when fighting hitscan enemies

It had the super shotgun which instantly made it more fun. Level wise, it's hit or miss. There are a few levels that are just better than any of the ones in the DooM but then there are quite a bit that just aren't good. I like DooM 2 better over all. But this is entirely subjective.

I liked it better.

Yeah, I actually started playing Doom II recently and the levels are a fucking chore.

it's not
they aren't
shit music definitely yes

you going to provide counter points or did you just post to yell at people for insulting your gamefu?

Monster design is so much better, though.

I don't have to this anonread my mind

I actually liked a lot of the music. You also have to remember all he music in DooM was just stolen metal songs.

Romero was hardly involved in the development and most of the level design had to be left up to Sandy Petersen.

>Romero was hardly involved in the development and most of the level design had to be left up to Sandy Petersen.
hmm interesting reason for why doom 2 was worse than doom 1 considering sandy petersen was responsible for TWO THIRDS of the levels in doom 1

I prefer Doom 2, then again it was the first one I played so my opinion would probably be the opposite if I had played them the other way around.

The level design of 2 is kinda meh...but this is solved by just playing megawads with good maps instead.

>sandy petersen was responsible for TWO THIRDS of the levels in doom 1

*Tom Hall with finishing touches made by Sandy Petersen

>Never got why people hated Tricks & Traps
>Finally get around to pistol starting every map

I understand now.

Play Brutal.

Because it's just a level expansion pack with a couple of weapons and enemies thrown in. Except all the levels suck, really really badly.

And I mean, Shadow Warrior did the expansion thing and didn't suck, they've got no excuse.

no, that sucks the hardest cock

Duke Nukem 3d vs doom 2?

I sure love Tacticool pandering and pre-animated takedowns.

Duke 3D is better than Doom 2, both have some annoying hitscan enemies, but 3D's level design is far better, and it doesn't have pain elementals.

has tits too ;]

Duke is boring. Doom isn't.

>Shit music
i loved the music in Doom 2 ;_;
for once it wasn´t stolen or "heavily inspired" metal songs , it gave doom its own vibe , wandering in a maze of demons.
I dont get why the hate for doom 2.

It has awful level design, and it contrasts with the first Doom that had great level design.

some enemies like pain elementals are just annoying monster spawning shits, or chaingunners

I'll never understand why people think this is a worthwhile mod

Doom 1: shit enemies
Doom 2: shit levels
depends on what you prefer, really

What makes it bad besides you just not liking it?

>tfw just finished D44M
It was kinda good , but the locked rooms with spawning enemies was stale it should´ve been just like Classic doom , with enemies waiting for you , instead of spawing them one by one.
also the ending was bullshit.

I disagree but honestly I might be biased due to the fact that I played SO MUCH MORE Doom. I just loved how the game played control wise. Duke was by no means a sloppy game movement wise but It's like taking a fighter pilot and putting them in a helicopter... that can jump. I just liked flying the fighter jet.

Superior multiplayer
Inferior single player.

Read that as
>tfw just finished DAAMN

>complaining about the difficulty in vanilla doom

>Industrial Zone

Duke 3d was cooler conceptually, more weapon and enemy variety, but was even less consistent than DOOM 2. I would definitely give the edge to DOOM

If you think Doom 2 is shit I urge you to remember pic related and reconsider.

What makes Doom II good?

It has probably the most diverse and fun enemy set that I've ever seen in an FPS (possibly Serious Sam is better, though).

Super shotgun is the funnest gun ever.

youtu.be/44lhqrsUTlo
>No one posting Best Doom 2 Music

Doom II is only fun with mods.

ssg was the worst thing to happen to doom

I didn't say it was hard, retard. I said hitscan enemies don't really make me go explore because I can't dodge them, so I didn't know I could kill the spiderdemon by pressing a button, and after spending quite some ammo on it, I'm running low on ammo on further levels.

nigger did you read my fucking mind? this song is awesome

SSG is completely fine, though. It's a close combat option for taking out some of the harder enemies.

go play skyrim if you wanna explore. The hitscan enemies were fine. They made you use cover and react quickly which switched you up from just dodging projectiles. If there was no hitscan there'd be twice the projectiles and you'd be playing touhou.

So Ive been playing Demonsteele, anyone got recommendations?

I still don't really understand how modding works for GZDoom besides dragging it onto the launcher

project msx is pretty good
Use ZDL to run multiple wads at once.

I used to mod doom a ton back in the day. I remember my first time messing with a WAD, I replaced all the doomguy face sprites with my own face with MSPaint blood and damage and added some Eric Harris tier bloodier death animations. Then I got into mapping and got pretty good, never released anything but I made a DM mapset for some lan games I played with a bunch of kids when I got sent to BD school for a semester in my junior year.

I always saw Doom II the same way I see the Japanese SMB2.

It is basically the exact same game graphically and engine wise, but has a few minor gameplay changes to make the game more annoying to play. It didn't really improve on Doom in any major way and just felt like a quick rehash to cash in on the popularity it had at the time.

pic related has updated IWADs link

Doom 2 is for people who thought Doom 1 was too easy. If you know what you're doing it's easily more enjoyable.

Too those saying that the maps are ugly, I agree but outside of E1 most of Doom was ugly as well.
Doom 2 doesn't hide behind the fact that it's about secrets and monster closets with only basic structures and texture work resembling any sort of actual place.

whatever happened to the never ending zombie horde games on doomseeker, those were fun in between games

>It didn't really improve on Doom in any major way
There's a reason why pretty much every wad ever heavily uses D2 enemies. Spoiler: it's because they're good.

Someone try to defend M13

see

>You also have to remember all he music in DooM was just stolen metal songs.
Thats why it was so good. Doom2 wasnt very metal.

>doom has to be metal
Please end yourself.
Doom is not about metal. Doom has it own charm , next thing you are gonna tell me is you thinkg Brutal doom is enjoyable.

>metal
>good

Sandy claimed it was his favorite map from Doom 2. What a nutshack

Brutal Doom actually is good, but only retards try to say its better than the original. They're literally two different games.

>It's a "chaingunners and archviles hidden behind fake walls" wad.

Gay.

The only thing I don't like about it is autoaim not catching those faraway commandos. I don't even mind the concept of a hitscan enemy pouring lead from afar, but not being able to shoot in return sucks.

Otherwise, fun map with a good sense of scale. The best attempt at "city" levels in vanilla D2.

Those have nothing to do with each other. Anyway the music in Doom2 is vastly inferior to the original, deal with it. The only really good thing to come out of Doon2 was the extra enemies.

im on the same boat as you, when i was a kid Icon of sin scared the shit out of me because he can kills you even with god mode

Industrial Zone was way better

My only defense is that it was one of the few attempts to do somewhat realistic architecture. While the actual map design suffered a bit as a result, I have to admit it stands out as one of the more memorable moments in the game for me when i saw that map for the first time.

Maybe.

>all this shitting on Doom 2
Fucking Brutal and Metal fags ruining everything , yes I blame everything on you.

>its a "ton of revenants shooting homing rockets at you from across a giant chasm" wad

>muh sandy peterson

>muh sandy vagina

>Courtyard
>Citadel

Doom2 has been shit before BD even existed, eat shit.

>>Courtyard
Good level, use it to test weapon wads.

>It's a /vr/ thinks their "agitating skeleton" maymay is funny so they're gonna forcefuck it down everyones throat wad

Courtyard is fine.

It's a funny meme and revenant is a good enemy.

>playing new Doom
>get to the Icon of Sin
>decide to shoot a rocket at the hole in his head
>box comes flying out

pretty neat

Which New Doom?

the new one

>Funny
Nothing in the Doom community has ever been funny. They're all austists who lack human emotion. Their poor humor is an attempt to compensate.

nice opinion dude

Dumb frogposter.

>dumb frogposter
>calling anyone unfunny

dumb frogposter

Well I guess they're funnier than the Marathon community being they actually exist

most of the levels are completely non sensical or revolve around some kind of gimmick idea
besides that it's better because of the new monsters and super shotgun

>Factory
>Downtown
>The Pit

An expansion pack, nothing more

>saturday night with nothing else to do
>turn on zdoom
>play some Hexen

Not sure what it is about this but it feels so good, music is grade A, played some Heretic as well

youtube.com/watch?v=UHvdY53AOMw

What does the cover art progression tell us about Doom as a series?

Literally nothing.

>There were lots of demons
>And then there was a big demon
>And then there was another big demon
>Then there was only Doomguy.

Is that doomguys hair on the Doom 2 cover?

whats up with that lol

>he doesn't have starfish cut
haha pleb

i always thought it was just my own nolstalgia that made me like doom1 more than doom2. they're both good, but doom1 felt more claustrophic and nightmarish.

It's not. Plenty of E2 and E3 are lame, E1 is the most consistent Doom 1 episode by far.

"Doom 2 sucks" is just a shitty meme that gets more and more exaggerated the more people repeat it. Yes, it has bad levels, and it has gimmick levels. But there are 32 maps and there are still more good ones than in E2/E3 combined, and people don't pistol start so they can't even appreciate the interesting variety of setups that Doom 2 has. They were way more creative with the layouts and open spaces and types of encounters.

Frankly there are more than enough amazing community wads that there is no need to touch the original Doom 1/2 maps, though. E1 is still cool but you could skip the rest and not miss much other than a history lesson.

Fuck you Sunder

A Metroid mod? Name pls

Project Brutality is way better

>You also have to remember all he music in DooM was just stolen metal songs.

DooM 1 picked all the good stuff, a lot of the 2 tracks were taken from metal songs as well, but whatever they picked weren't as good, or didn't transfer right. There's like only 2 good tracks in Doom 2.

a quick google search of "doom metroid mod" brings up metroid: dreadnought, user.

Better arsenal, better enemy roster, very varying level quality (some of the best and all of the worst of the two games). The shit levels really drag down everything else.

Sandy peterson

they are literally the same sprites