Why do people complain about the lack of gameplay and go in with expecting good goodplay in Telltale games...

Why do people complain about the lack of gameplay and go in with expecting good goodplay in Telltale games? It should be common consensus that the games are meant for the story, yet I hear people blabber about calling these virtual books instead of games.

Even with this 'illusion of choice' meme, most people after every dramatic choice will go 'did I do the right thing'? which signifies good writing on the dev part. Mix that with good characters and a unique artstyle and you get a kind of game there isn't much of.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/telltalegames/status/562915894649958402?lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BECAUSE it says in the dictionary that games are only allowed to be about the GAMEplay?? Y'know, GAMEplay, in my videoGAME???

>>It should be common consensus that the games are meant for the story
>>should be
And that's where your argument turns to shit.

I didn't love got, but both walking dead games were very satisfying.

Why can't you just enjoy them for what they are?

They aren't made to be an open world or an fps, they tell a story with branching paths. That was the dev's intention.

>>most people after every dramatic choice will go 'did I do the right thing'? which signifies good writing on the dev part
>>"Did I do the right thing"
>>Not "Shit, did I fuck myself out of the ending I wanted with that choice"

You're seriously trying to deny that Telltale games are narrative focused?

unless you're using guides and shit you shouldn't know shit about the endings anyway

why not just make your choices and play it out?

>>Why can't you just enjoy them for what they are?
I do, but you have a shit argument. I'm looking at it from both sides here. Just because anybody wants games like that to be better appreciated doesn't detract from what they really are, which are mostly QTE walking stories. Whether or not the stories are good are irrelevant; mechanically, they are what they were made to be.

I was enjoying The Wolf Among Us until I read the comic. That second volume was absolute dogshit

I misread the fucking sentence. Missed the "the" between "that" and "games" and went off half-cocked about the argument of games being only important for the story. Telltale games are nothing BUT story, with some QTEs, but that's about it.

I'm not the OP. His argument isn't mine. I'm just asking.

>yet I hear people blabber about calling these virtual books instead of games

that's what they are tho

you know the japs have this thing, it's called "visual novels"?
I know how triggered westerns get at anything japanese so calling them "virtual books" is a fine compromise.

>you know the japs have this thing, it's called "visual novels"?

Yeah, and for the most part they have even less gameplay than TTGshit.

>qtes
>gameplay

Either way, I'm advocating for calling them virtual books, not visual novels. It makes perfect sense.

The only reason to not like the classification is if you think that being called a "game" somehow adds merit to the thing.

>books
Are you really that stupid?

what, you prefer "interactive movies"?
Or how about "virtual comics"?

fuck you for reminding me that season 2 of the wolf among is LITERALLY NEVER.

>interactive movies
Fits better, I don't see how it matters though

>comics
What

games that place story over gameplay are trash

Because they have neither gameplay in the form of, you know, gameplay, nor gameplay in the form of choices and consequences. All they have is extremely shoddily written little stories that play out the same no matter what you do.

Plus shit animations, voice acting and graphics, to ruin any possibility of immersing oneself in the story. Liking Telltale games is the ultimate pleb test.

Fuck man. I can't take never seeing Big B and Snow Waifu ever again

>Fits better, I don't see how it matters though
well, classification helps filters things and make finding things you want easier.
For example, if you want more stuff like telltale, if it had a specific commonly agreed genre (like fps, mmorpg and so on) you could easily find more.

Instead it has the ever useless and broad "adventure game" genre.

>comics
wolf among us was based on a comic book I thought

>gameplay in the form of, you know, gameplay
I'd love to hear what you think that means

Something that requires the least bit of thought or skill.

Because Cred Forums is full of retarded cry babies

That's exactly what they are though. No one throws a shit storm about visual novels not being considered games because that's exactly what they are

Passing a QTE technically requires skill. Reading is also a skill, and they require thought, so books are games

Why do people get so fucking butthurt that their virtual books aren't considered games?

Like seriously, how is that even a bad thing?

Telltale did a teasing tweet back in 2015 but hasn't said anything else about the game since.
twitter.com/telltalegames/status/562915894649958402?lang=en
They're probably too busy working on GoT, TWD and Batman

Yeah it's a virtual book because you can read subtitles

I'm not interested in "hurr durr, FPS games are RPGs too" level of retarded semantic games. Telltale games have no gameplay, deal with it you shiteater.

Apparently there was a lot of behind the scenes drama between Telltale writers and the comic writers. Hence why episode 2 was overdue by MONTHS.
Also the comic ended so it's kind of worthless as a cross promotional stunt.

And the WAU game is a lot more like a movie than a comic

I've only played the walking dead season 1, I have Season 2 but didn't get to it yet.
I think telltale's take on games is interesting in my opinion, but I think I only see it that way because I play a wide variety of games.

I don't mind their focus on story at all though and think it's a great angle to look at things from, but I won't deny that things could be improved.
More multiple endings and choices that actually matter would help a lot, also the puzzle elements are pretty great.

Try to actually define "gameplay"

>Telltale games have no gameplay, deal with it
Never mind, you convinced me

Yeah it's a game because it has real-time 3D graphics

GOD TIER

Walking Dead
Tales from the Borderlands

HIGH TIER

Wolf Among Us

GOOD TIER

Walking Dead Season 2
Batman

SHIT TIER

Game of Thrones
Walking Dead Michonne
Minecraft

>Try to actually define "gameplay"
What part of
>I'm not interested in "hurr durr, FPS games are RPGs too" level of retarded semantic games
don't you get, you fucking retard?

No? It has words, it's a book

Game of Thrones wasn't even that bad. I'd at least put it at mediocre. It just pains me to play through that game knowing canon characters won't ever die.

Because idiots like you keep repeating "this """"GAME""""" doesn't even have gameplay! how can it be a game with no GAMEPLAY??" without even knowing what gameplay is

How do the other games compare to The Wolf Among Us?

I binged that game in one sitting and enjoyed the fuck out of it.

>Minecraft
that one needs a special tier
I saw like 15 minutes of episode 1 and it's like one of those shitty Disney straight to TV movies set in a generic fictional high school with a dorky protagonist.

They should be coming out with another Monkey Island any day now.

Damn son, with the amount of swearing and crying you've done you could've typed out an actual argument.

>answering the question "What part of x don't you get" with "because"
There's only one idiot here, and despite knowing what people refer to colloquially as gameplay he cannot help himself but ask for a definition nobody's interested in.

Again, go argue about how Cawadoody is actually an RPG series, I'm not interested in this asinine shit.

>Why do people complain about the lack of gameplay and go in with expecting good goodplay in Telltale games?

If you're not going into a game with expectations of good gameplay, then there's no point in playing the game at all. Nobody playsa game expecting it to be a worthless experience.

The premise of a Telltale game is that decision-making is the gameplay. If the player's decisions don't affect the story enough that the player feels he or she has any agency at all, the decision-based gameplay is bad.

>Even with this 'illusion of choice' meme, most people after every dramatic choice will go 'did I do the right thing'? which signifies good writing on the dev part.

But it doesn't signify good game design. The player might agonize over a decision, but having done so only makes it more frustrating to find out that the decision was completely inconsequential and didn't have any effect beyond a changed line of dialogue in the next scene.

The Walking Dead Season 1 and Tales from the Borderlands are really good, though you may not like the latter if you hate Borderlands.

The rest range from all right to shit.

Unless you don't play games I'm pretty sure you know what tell tale games are. I know what they are and would never play them. No reason bitching about it.

I don't go into Telltale games expecting gameplay.

That's why I don't go into them at all.

I'm really trying to get you to explain how the gameplay in Telltale games isn't "real" gameplay, first we need to define what "gameplay" is.

> go argue about how Cawadoody is actually an RPG series
Are you confused?

>Are you confused?
Are you even aware of what a semantic argument even is, you cretin?

>b-b-but you're playing a role in Cawadoody, it MUST be an RPG!!!
Fuck off.

>even still, it doesn't even know what gameplay even is
Ok

Yeah, even I can't even believe he can't even describe what gameplay even is. Even I can even do that. It's not even that difficult to even define what gameplay even is, he just refuses to even do it.