ITT: direct sequels that are way better than their predecessor

ITT: direct sequels that are way better than their predecessor

pic unrelated

>ITT: direct sequels that are way better than their predecessor
>post direct sequel that was only arguably slightly better

No.

Just finished this. Definitely better than Gold and the best stealth ever.

I always heard shit about Soulforge but it was fantastic. The only mediocre level is Kidnap, and Casing/Masks feel a bit redundant.

Gold was better

I don't think so. Gold felt more experimental and because of that didn't know what it was trying to do.
The devs also said they designed the levels based on the story and not the other way around, which would explain why they are so much better in 2.

The exploration/horror themed levels in Gold feel meandering, amateurish. They have a nice atmosphere, but that's it. Non human enemies are also mostly inconsistent with the main game mechanics (those dinosaurs creatures, flying suns, spiders). If every "adventure" level in Gold was as good as RtC, that would be another story.

If we are talking about pure stealth levels, the ones in Gold range from ok to good, but there is not a single level that is as intricately and intelligently designed as Framed, Bank, Cargo or Soulsforge.

That's wrong. 1 is better than 2, but only slightly.

Is Thief 2 the new Deus Ex? I just finished Deus Ex for the first time and I'm looking for something else that's good.

I haven't played much of anything else except Half Life 2. Can someone please recommend me what to download now?

Street Fighter 2.

It's definitely not

System Shock and Thief are both great, and so are their sequels.

System Shock 2

SS2

I avoid these games like the plague because of the horror level I've heard about. Is it mandatory or optional?

SS1 is objectively better than 2.

>"objectively" meme

Putting "objectively" in your opinion doesn't make it right. Especially when you post no evidence supporting your claim.

They're absolutely right. SS1 is a top tier 10/10 dungeon crawler that does everything a dungeon crawler is supposed to do and more

SS2 is a mishmash of experimental ideas, none of which are fully realized. As fun as it may be, it can't be considered a better game than its predecessor because it lacks refinement in everything it does.

I'm playing SS2 and also Quake 2 as of tonight, should have mentioned that.

SS2 seems exceptionally well written and atmosphered right now. Quake 2 is just basically fun as fuck and easy to get into.

I read that Thief 2 has the best level design of any game ever made, and that makes me excited to play it. Deus Ex had the best level design in my opinion of any game that I've ever played. I'm really hoping to find another game that does such an immersive and well thought out thing with the levels. I will be very surprised if Thief 2 stacks up. I read people elsewhere saying Thief 2 has better level design than Thief 1.

I liked T1's atmosphere more.
More variety between the levels, too. You had ancient tombs, abandoned cities, strange reality-bending mansions, and all sorts of other stuff along with the city and industrial bits.

Weapon degradation in SS2 was a mistake.
It should have at least been slowed down by a lot from where it was.

Mandatory
To be perfectly fair the horror-themed fan missions are way better than modern horror games in my honest opinion.

what horror level?

SS2 is fuckin' great ... until the Rickenbacker. Von Braun is solid gold.

Referring to Shalebridge Cradle? It's pretty creepy, yeah. Gets less so when you figure out flashbangs will actually kill the inmates. That's from Thief 3, however. Which most people do not like and is certainly different from 1 and 2.

Thief Gold was better overall. T2 still had some really good missions though. Might've been the better one if they finished T2 Gold.

Fallout 2 is overall a much better game than Fallout 1, much more content, tweaked gameplay to make it better overall.

That being said, the Atmosphere in Fallout 1 was superior. Fallout 1 has this real brooding tension throughout it that wasn't there in 2.

So many people do it, I always assumed it was just a meme until I started calling people out on and they would unironically defend their opinion being objective. It's just like literally, they basically use it as "I can't believe you have a different opinion than mine" rather than the actual definition

Fallout one felt like a better put together package, Fallout 2 was a little all over the place.

You're wrong though. Thief Gold was a better game. Better story, better villain, better twists, better cutscenes, better levels.