CD > 2 > 3 > 1

CD > 2 > 3 > 1

Can we just stop and take a moment to appreciate how badass CD is? This used to be one of my least favorite Sonic games but after replaying it a few times again lately its like it just clicked. Fucking great game once you have the right mindset

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MK4oNG4H0w4
youtube.com/watch?v=iv2Dj19WFic
youtube.com/watch?v=FgThnrxI5nc
youtube.com/watch?v=_YvxeW1rJ58
youtube.com/watch?v=DR-j4nK1UXM
youtube.com/watch?v=7U9Ci6J_y9I
youtube.com/watch?v=OTWnxQD5_sw
youtube.com/watch?v=qKDYXjwNpqI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

US > JP

For outside of playing the game I can agree with that, but while playing it, the gook soundtrack fits it much better

>US Palmtree Panic
>actually has a tropical beat to it
>JP Palmtree Panic
>YAAAAAAAY!!!!! (((genki techno sounds)))

I don't really see palmtree panic as a tropical place, just a more cheerful version of the standard green hills starting level. Tropical would be like, adabat from sonic unleashed. That's the keyword, cheerful, and the gook version delivers on that much better. I'd say tidal tempest and stardust speedway are the only english versions that are better than the original

Bump...i know you niggers love sonic cd. Taxman did a great job on the port but I wish he gave the option to use modern character sprites like from advance.

What is this,state the obvious day?

youtube.com/watch?v=MK4oNG4H0w4

Ok...and the boss and special stage tracks are better in american too

finally, someone got it right

Man perci is so fine

Also, does anyone have it on their phone? I have a galaxy s6 and know thats more than enough to run the game, but its just the touch screen shit that bothers me. Its going to be really hard to pull off the right jumps needed when time traveling, especially after playing it on xbox one for the last few weeks.

Touch screen = shit for games like that.
get a GPD XD.

I figured as much, still was curious. And no im not going to get extra gaming gear for public, thats retarded as fuck. Guess i'll just stick with the xbox one and playing it at home then

Not that the US soundtrack is shite or anything but I do feel sorry for people who didn't own the PAL version. No wonder people hated CD so much.

Except this guy is right. JP Palmtree Panic sucks. Stardust Speedway US too

Believe me, id rather play the us version than touch anything pal where it locks the game to 50fps because of cuck tvs. JP PP is great and fits very well, fuck you

Mah nigga.
youtube.com/watch?v=iv2Dj19WFic

I've been playing through CD for the first in the past few days. I love it so far.
I'm kind of just blasting through though. I feel like with how the levels work that it'd be a pain in the ass to actually try and find everything.

I also thought that but then when I actually tried getting the good futures it became a lot more fun
exploring the levels and just fucking around is honestly a lot of fun

It just seems like it's not very good for backtracking, which would be frustrating.

It is frustrating at some parts but actually traveling back is pretty simple and if you die, you respawn in the past still. Wacky workbenche has the most tricky ones while everything else is pretty simple. The trick is to spindash into a bounce pad and stay still until you teleport back

Also, the most frustrating levels are collision chaos and wacky workbench. Once those are done finding the generators in the other levels is pretty ez

While I disagree with that placement and still think 2 and 3 are better, I feel like a lot of people that don't like CD really just don't get how it's supposed to be played. The level design is all crazy and loops on itself because it's supposed to be a physics playground for time travelling. And the game wants you to explore and find generators, Metal Sonic projectors, or even just rings for Special Stages. It's one of the more exploration based Sonic games and I feel like people just try to play it like 1-3 and get to the goal and yeah of course it's boring like that, that's only 1 goal of the game not the main one like in other Sonics.

Of course, the original version is also a reason to dislike the game. It has a lot of issues but playing the 2011 version really brings CD up by a lot of points, it's just that good.

I think its a multi purpose game and thats what makes it stand out from the others. The only other games that get this multi purpose gameplay right is sonic adventure 2 and sonic unleashed and to me that is the holy trinity of sonniku: CD + those two.

>played through cd for the very first time the other day
am i missing something here? the levels were mediocre and the bosses were a complete joke
it doesn't come anywhere near the megadrive games, not even sonic 1

>CD
>Good

Hi Justin

You have to play it a certain way, playing through it normally is fine but you will get more out of the game once you slow down and explore a bit in the past

>CD
>Bad

Hi autist

SA2 and Unleashed are shit examples of that.
You have the freedom to play CD however you choose to using the mechanics of the game.
SA1, SA2, '06, and Unleashed force you to use drastically different types of gameplay in order to pad the game out.

Since this is bait I'll leave one bait image too

Theres nothing wrong with padding a game out, CD makes you do it otherwise its an unsatisfying 20 minute game with awkward level design. SA2 and unleashed have their own forms of exploration and optional side things to do. Maybe you dont enjoy it but I do

most aesthetically pleasing sonic game

>Theres nothing wrong with padding a game out
Why not? Every time they do alternate play-styles it's always half-assed and bogs the whole game down, and I'd really rather just be playing the main part of the game.
Throwing a curveball at the player just to pad the game out is shit design. I wouldn't care as much if I was still playing the same game. CD did it right in that regard.

Sonic 1 is superior in every way and it's my least favorite 2D sonic game

The proper list is
Sonic 3&K > Sonic 2 > Sonic 1 > Sonic CD

before IGN everyone agreed with that. Now people like to play the contrarian card

Its not half assed and it doesnt bog the game down to me. Nothing wrong with a change of pace and I like other characters or transformations of sonic, since they are flight or power based or excel in things that sonic normally can't do on his own. I enjoy every level in sa2 and unleashed except a couple tails levels and mad space, they do alternate gameplay right, especially unleashed with those full length levels, fully developed combo system, and collectibles.

I never cared for S3K and its one of the sonics that didnt sell so hot. To many bad levels in the game that just overstay their welcome and the music is kind of repetitive imo. Never understood why it got so beloved over 2 or CD, maybe because it was the last 2d sonic game for years

>especially unleashed with those full length levels
Yeah, full-length alright. Like four times as long as the daytime levels.

Some are shorter or equal length to day levels. The hot dog missions show how fast they can be beaten but normally can be used as a way to pummel enemies with cool combos or look for medals or movies and stuff. Why are we talking about sonic unleashed so much if this is a CD/classic thread?

>IGN

More like 4 dumbasses spewing their shit opinion as fact.

>that didnt sell so hot
source?
Sonic 3 & Knuckles sold almost 3 million copies on the original genesis

Combined, it wasnt a mega million seller like sonic 1 or 2 were

Elder God Tier:
3&K

High Tier:
Taxman CD

Mid Tier:

Low Tier:

Wasted Potential Tier:
Knuckles Chaotix

1 will never be above anything, its time to accept this

oh it doesn't come close to SOnic 1 or 2 but you have to keep in mind Genesis sold Sonic 2 bundled with the american console in 1992 when they dropped the price to $149,95

It's like saying Mario sold 22 million but at least 60% of them were because it was bundled with the console at launch.

I do love CD but it takes forever to learn the levels so you can play properly

It's much more fun zooming back and forth between past and future at your own whim. While the Taxman version is great, I miss that he removed a bunch of easy routes to time travel

The first like 30-40 times I played this was just so awkward with the searching around levels for the hologram and machine and poking around looking for sick routes. But when you blow the game wide open it's an amazing, unrivaled pinball arena

Sure, but it just doesnt seem like a big thing when games like heroes sold 6+ mil, 06 2+ mil, and unleashed 3+ mil. Its really not that special of a game

Fuck outta here with that shit youtube.com/watch?v=FgThnrxI5nc

Yesterday I was playing the original US version on Genesis GX (Wii) and the taxman version is much better

However if you really want to play the original play the JP version because have superior soundtrack

The EU version on the original hardware is ~20% slower because it runs at 50hz

>Low Tier:
>2
>lower than 1

da fuck r u on?

Hipsters gonna hipster

Bump

I hate 3d animated shows

3 > 2 > 1 > CD

no lies I fucking hate CD

>elder god tier
S3&K
CD (Taxman)

>God Tier
Sonic 2 (Taxman)

>Great Tier
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 2

>Good Tier
Sonic 1 (Taxman)

>Okay Tier
Sonic 1

>man this shit would've been so ballin if they had just done more cool physics shit i mean fuck vector is radical and even gives the camera a thumbs up it was so close to being great tier
Chaotix

I would never put 1 or 3 above CD, that just feels wrong

Super Sonix X Universe > All

youtube.com/watch?v=_YvxeW1rJ58

CD and the OVA are unironically the worst things ever made related to Sonic. Fanart is fanart, 06' had ambitions, but these two were fulfilled projects made during the apex of the franchise which systematically sucked all the fun out of Sonic.

>OVA
>bad
You had best be joking nigger.

Nonsensical, obnoxious OCs and Metal is shit who's only remembered because he had a cool design.

What is the best version/quality of OVA I could download?

Here, this is a high quality OVA, complete.

youtube.com/watch?v=DR-j4nK1UXM

>06' had ambitions
Filthy fucking Adventurefags.
>Nonsensical, obnoxious OCs
Mmmmm yes. 06 certainly wasn't filled to the brim with that horseshit.

Ma Quë??

>CD first.

Nope, it's a good game but 3 and S&K will always be the best games.

3 = S&K > CD > 2 > 1.

And this is just wrong, the US OST is terrible compared to the JP/EU OST.

3K sucks though

>You have to play it a certain way
>calls someone else an autist

Well it's really really good for 6 stages and then it becomes really really bad for the rest of the game.

Its really good for the first 2 stages. Then its boring and drawn out with pace breaking gimmicks with repetitive music. Then its snowy again and everything moves at a brisker pace with a great track, lots of slopey areas around. Then its kinda shit again but not total shit. THEN its really bad for the rest of the game

>Hydrocity
>Boring

Wow. That's a new low for Cred Forums.

Hydrocity is the second stage. Angel island and hydrocity. Good. Everything after until ice cap, bad. Launch base, ok. Everything after launch base, terrible. Not sure where you got lost user

>Mushroom Hill, Flying Battery, Lava Reef, Sky Sanctuary and Death Egg terrible
Explain

There is nothing to explain, i played it the other day. I suggest you do the same and all will be answered, my good man

Although to be fair, I did play it with the music on, so maybe that amounted to the frustration

sonic 2 had a mix of some of the best levels in the series to some of the absolute fucking worst. the entire latter half of the game is a chore.

Objective ranking
3K>1>2>CD

There are many games you have to play a certain way otherwise they are not that good. Would you hold the mouse down when shooting in csgo? Would you press x through all the talking in a jrpg? Would you just aimlessly mash x and y in a brawler or fighting game?

This user gets it

>No wonder people hated CD so much.
Has nothing to do with that
More to do with the fact that CD is different so it's very divisive
Most people think it's overrated more than actually hate it

>Stardust Speedway US too
You shut your whore mouth the present theme in that map is the shit

i cant agree with this yet as i haven't gotten to play either cd or 3k but i definitely like sonic 1 more

End thine own lives

>It just seems like it's not very good for backtracking
Which is why you play with Tails on the Remaster

And if I refuse?

why do people always seem to forget about Sonic & Knuckles when ranking the Genesis Era Sonic games?

>CD and the OVA are unironically the worst things ever made related to Sonic. Fanart is fanart, 06' had ambitions
Kill yourself you fucking gamecube nigger

Put CD above 3K and ill do gif related to you, you big faggot you

Kill yourself Sonic2Fag Speed Junkie Casual

they consider them one game, just S3 but will commonly call it S3K anyways

>implying advance serie isn't superior to genesis serie.

WORK THAT FUCKING ASS

COME ON NOW

WORK THAT FUCKING ASS

I'll take the suicide route

I think those games biggest enemies is the gba screen. If they got a widescreen port or remake one day theyd be 10/10. Advance 1 and 2 I put above 1 and 3K though.

No shit considering that was the year Donkey Kong Country came out with it's at-the-time incredible graphics

>Its really not that special of a game
The fact that it had the King of Pop working on the music says otherwise cupcake

Sonic Heroes, '06 and Unleashed were Multi-platform titles you utter moron...we might as well count every Sonic 3K re-release at that point and it will crush those games

kys

They don't
It's referred to as Sonic 3&K or 3K because everyone who is not a faggot knows it's one game

Only Advance 1 was good
Advance 2 and 3 were ayy lmaooo-tier

Advance 3 coop system was so much THE shit.

S1 > S3 > the fucking rest

>Advance 3 coop system was so much shit.
Fixed
It was shit in Chaotix and Heroes...and it was shit in Advance 3

>And this is just wrong, the US OST is terrible compared to the JP/EU OST.

Nostalgia is a terrible drug and people will love and defend what they grew up with.
I've seen people unironically say that the US DBZ OST is better than the original.

2 is too boring imo. 1 does a better job at getting me entertained and actually letting me finish the game. 2 is also too long to be played in short bursts like 1, 3, and K.

CD is a really great game is you're not expecting to hold right to win. That said it's an acquired taste as a sonic game. Much preferred it over 3

sanic 2 has flat, boring, mostly hold right to win level designs

sanic 1 had some good platforming and wasn't focused on speed

also sanic 2 is the easiest classic game (excluding Metropolis Zone)

CD isn't actually that good, but the music and graphics are great which makes me love it

2>CD>1>3K>3

Can we all agree on this?

You know it's only boring because you've played it ten million times, right?

Imagine playing Sonic 2 only once. Now that's a mindblowing experience.

>CD above anything
>2 above 3
No

I just can never put 1 that high in anything, its just such a boring game and a mechanical fucking abortion after Green Hill. If you make it equal to 3K in the bottom then I can agree.

>CD has great level designs that dont drag on for years and actually have things to find in them.

>2 and 1 are fun platformers that can be finished in one sitting, arcade style

>3K has a shit ton of unmemorable levels that drag on for way too long and get boring by the second half.

Nope pretty accurate t b h.

1 is the best game though. No OCs, no autism, no hold right to fast+win, just solid fucking platforming with great music.

I'm sorry but if images of sonic going fast triggers you...you may need to find another series to play

Close.

1 > 2 = CD > 3K > K > 3 > Chaotix

I always get the feeling the only reason people defend sonic 3 to the death is because eveyrthing was downhill from there and they want people to think the series is still good from a nostalgic perspective based on that one last good game in the series.
it's not

>because you've played it ten million times, right?

No, that's actual good games like Sonic 1 and 3.

Anyone have that pic with all the arcade licence made by Sega that was left in the dust?

I'm sorry but if platforming with good physics triggers you... you are the cancer killing Sonic

3K > CD = 2 > 1

>>CD has great level designs
Said no one ever. Because without a guide or something you have to backtrack and go back and forth into the past and future which requires gaining speed where areas that allowed it were scarce.

K has a shit ton of unmemorable levels that drag on for way too long and get boring by the second half.
Again, said no one ever. Because all of the levels were designed to make use of all of Sonic's abilities as well as be more punishing to players who couldn't reach the higher routes.
In other words, if they drag on too long that means you suck at Sonic.

No we can't, nigga.

>2 is also too long to be played in short bursts like 1, 3, and K.

The fuck are you talking about? 3&k is the longest by far.

3K has a save feature, he also didn't compare to 3K but 3 and K separately.

I feel like I like the 3D games more than I'm "allowed" to. Does anyone else have this problem?

>past music is the genesis doing the JP/EU version of the soundtrack
You're a waste of space.

It feel like you feel insecurity.
You shouldn't bother to hide your powerlevel.

youtube.com/watch?v=7U9Ci6J_y9I
>implying your garbage is better than this
Fucking freedom fags, put US on it and they'll say it's better regardless of reality.

3&K>2=CD 2011>1>CD 1993

Fixed your God awful list, fucking hell.

That a dope af jacket

No but I've quit many forums because I was constantly harassed for liking 3D Sonic games as much as I do. Gamefaqs, reddit, neogaf,, CCC, sega forums, sonic retro, and more. This is the only place I have come to because its anonymous but I still feel scared and bored sometimes because I can't put adventure 2, heroes, unleashed, black knight, generations above 3k or 1 or cd.

Those cover are so dope.

They're fake. There's no such game as S3&K.

your mom's tits are fake.

>mfw playing CD after Sonic 1 and 2's relaxing easy ride

CD doesn't hold your hand, it's why a lot of people think it's worse than the MD Sonics. I still think Sonic 3 is better, but CD gets a bad rap.

uh...

The ridiculously japanese nonsensical inspirational quotes make me lose my shit every time,

>nonsensical

Listen to this unenlightened individual. Probably gets laughed at by the sun.

>tfw even the sun make fun of you

>CD doesn't hold your hand

excuse me

CD also has some really fucking good music, shit is so good it's basically wasted on a 2D platformer.

It's not that it doesn't hold your hand but that the level design doesn't mesh with the time travel mechanic.

get good

I'm unaware of this meme. CD barely even has any enemies, how's it hard?

You can't exactly git gud at the game user. You just have to chance upon the area they created specifically for time travel.
Then you have to remember it for subsequent playthroughs.

>level design doesnt work with time travel mechanica

@ that part, get good

you too, my dude, need to get good

I'm not the one who posted that. I'm just hoping you can fill me in on the "CD isn't a complete bore with no obstacles" meme you seem to have taken a liking to.

there are many obstacles in cd

This. Metallic Madness US is great to listen to casually when doing any else that isn't playing Sonic CD

You can argue that the US soundtrack failed it's job in that regard, but you can't argue the compositions aren't great.

>you too, my dude, need to get good
At what?
The game doesn't require any skill. It's just searching until you find it.

>Y-O-U-C-A-N-T-D-O-A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G-S-O-D-O-N-T-E-V-E-N-T-RY

Sonic CD's soundtrack is so badass

youtube.com/watch?v=OTWnxQD5_sw

Wat

ill repeat again, get good or stick with shitty 3 and knuckles.

>Nonsensical, obnoxious OCs
Like, 2?

And I'll say it again, get good at what?
There's no required skill in CD.

if thats what youre going with, theres no skill needed for any sonic game then.

That's correct

fantastic! lets shake and move on then

Nobody likes Colors or Lost World.

Not until we discover what we have to git gud at.

nope, we shook and made up. im afraid that time is over now friend

>D-O-N-T-D-O-W-H-A-T-S-O-N-I-C-D-O-E-S

It sucks, Sega has the baddest mascot character out and they waste it on shitty games and bad voice acting.

>nope, we shook and made up
With a person who jumped in not the person you were talking with.
In other words it doesn't mean shit nigga.

>neogaf

how the fuck am i supposed to know who you are mang? everyone is anonymous

JUST that thing is hideous

Well I was right.
Sonic games don't require skill.

>2 > 3
Stopped reading there.

>These are the people behind the cute anime girl pictures.

There must be an inverse law..

now, you are reading the thread title.

Pray tell what 3 does better than 2

>actual level transitions
>saves
>tails is actually useful
>no mystic cave pit
>better special stage compared to Sonic 2's horrible shit

More cohesive and presentation.

2 = CD > 3&K > 1

I'll take 3&K over Sonic 1 but it had awful aesthetics, a few bad levels that were all too lengthy, and a largely forgettable soundtrack in comparison to its predecessors. The shield power-ups don't quite make up for it.

>doesnt mean jack shit
>ok
>doesnt mean jack shit
>ok
>ok

You mostly said side features that dont really affect the main game, outside of special stages

>being an ESL
Holy shit.

I have no idea what that means

If cohesiveness and presentation are what you're looking for, unleashed is by far the best game in the series then

>better special stages
I'll take 'subjective statements' for 500.

Of course you don't.

Unleashed isn't a 2D platformer.

It switches back and forth, a novel idea

The classics don't arbitrarily switch back and forth and also don't feature werehog stages.

Its the only game to get the switching balance right in its respective subgenre, but this isn't the thread for that

I'm not asking for that balance, I want 2D physics focused platforming, regardless of speed.
Boostfag pls go

Calm down man, these physics you cry for are rarely used anyway unless youre the type who stops and keeps going on halfpipes in casino night or collision chaos to make a point about the engine

>stops and keeps going on halfpipes in casino night or collision chaos
I do.
I consider it fun.

Not that guy but Sonic CD is my favorite next to 2 and it's honestly Sonic Engine Physics: The Game

Hydrocity is the best 2D Sonic level. I hope they don't fuck it up if it's in Sonic Mania.

youtube.com/watch?v=qKDYXjwNpqI

I will never get that but ok then user

CD is my favorite 2D game but I don't see it as that, the only time the physics engine comes into play is when time traveling, but its really easy to exploit when using a spin dash + lining up on a spring

>the only time the physics engine comes into play is when time traveling
What an ignorant statement. The physics are always involved, they are what allow you to even move.

Haven't you figured it out already that this guy is a complete moron?

You know what i mean, every game has its physics for moving no shit but the physics that are so widely praised are rarely used in the old games unless you play them 24/7 and know the best exploit spots to really use it. For everyone else, theyre just there. Press down when going down a hill to roll up and get some extra speed but it will be useless once you stop and slow down for the next platforming section. Jump in the middle of a loop for the same thing. Sometimes they are to slippery and hinder you because sonic will not stand still even if platforms are narrow because of his tendency to slide around after starting movement thanks to these "physics". This is most players experience with these physics you spend all day on the internet circlejerking, dont think how you play the game represents how its played by 95% others. Sonic is my favorite and most played series and even I don't care enough to learn how to get the most out of them

CD = 3&K > 1 >>> 2

3&K>>>>>>>>>all the others.

>Cred Forums likes Unleashed now
What the fuck? Both the shallow, linear boost-to-win gameplay and button mashing GoW knockoff are terrible.

No we don't. Unleashed is shit.

This will be my last response before I have to leave.
I urge you to play 1 and 2, specifically, and pay close attention to their level design with attention to ring placement, platforms, hazard and obstacle placements.
Even standing still on the ground in GHZ will cause you to jump in a slightly shifted direction due to how the physics interpret slopes, even the most minuscule ones.

I'm not referring exclusively to pinball physics but even they play a big part in jumping at a correct time to land just the right angle. These aspects go largely missing in any game post Chaotix and are consequently what I find most fascinating with the classics. Maybe you disagree but I firmly believe that this design philosophy is what a Sonic game should be designed after.

>platforming with good physics
Good thing 2, 3&K and CD all have those.

Too bad you leave, I have a couple of questions about physics.

I recently played VVVVVV, and I died quite often because Viridian kept "sliding" on the ground rather than stopping immediately.
Is it to the physical engine's fault? I never had such problem in the Megadrive Sonic games.

>adventure 2, heroes, unleashed, black knight, generations above 3k or 1 or cd
You're literally retarded.

I knew you were going to further explain. I know exactly what you mean, green hill has those little ridges and they have their own jump behavior. What you fail to understand is that I dont find that as inherently interesting as you. To me its either about going fast through a level or exploring it. If the levels were actually designed to be physic based challenge courses that would be awesome, but they are never that outside of a few levels in each game where you need enough speed (only gained by rolling) to get to a higher place. The latter half of sonic games drop this motto as well and became traditional platformers in which I've said that the physics engine makes it more awkward than it should be. You care more about the engine while I care about playing the game and I'm going to assume many feel the same, and younger fans tend to get annoyed at the older games because of all the things dragging them down. That doesnt make either of us wrong or right, but its just that you and I see the games in a very different light and I just happen to not agree with what a majority of classic fans have come to say, even with CD being my overall favorite sonic game and that game is a supposed physics sandbox galore. Mania also looks to agree with me, the regular platforming is there where you jump between floating, rotating blocks and there are large, long pathways filled with nothing just to roll down on and go super fast. I like that type of level design and thinks it shows the engine well but also incorporates regular platforming

>black knight
What?

It's just one faggot, user. We call him Unleashedfag.

What do you mean what?

How original

I must be lucky, because it's the first time I hear of a black night game.

Just google it, m8.

it has the best story and voice acting in the series. and it's the first game since 3&K to get multiple playable characters right.

Sorry, I like living in blissful ignorance.

Stardust Speedway US are the best set of music in the entire US game

>and it's the first game since 3&K to get multiple playable characters right
It's called Advance and Rush.

>younger fans tend to get annoyed at the older games because of all the things dragging them down
This is such a cancerous mentality I can't believe you'd even use it as an argument.

Who's this semen demon?