Why don't you play board games? They're:

Why don't you play board games? They're:

>cheaper than vidya
>more social than vidya
>retain value over time
>longer than vidya

I'd need friends first.

Long set up and cheating and broken friendship mostly.

>board games
>cheaper than vidya
Ha, no.

Shit like Monopoly is cheaper than vidya. High quality board games can be vastly more expensive.

/thread

literally scared you're a guy I know. But I know like 3 people with the exact same games and bookshelf.

Expansion for Betrayal At House On The Hill coming out next month!

>No Ancient Terrible Things
How can someone have Cthulhumic but not the best Lovecraftian Board Game????

>Not playing tabletop RPGs
If like you want to be a fucking casual or something

>implying I don't
I am an avid tabletop gamer
Card games, DnD, board games, deck builders, Warhammer, I do it all
You can do things that aren't just video games, you know

Anyone play the Resident Evil board game? Played it with my friends at college and aside from Barry Burton and the Six Shooters being fucking OP, its a fun game. Was only like 20 bucks on Amazon too plus I think there's several expansion sets but I never picked those up

I swear, every time I buy a fresh new Monopoly set I end up losing the game pieces and dollars within a few weeks

I can play all of these games on tabletop simulator and save tons of money faggot

You're smalltime, OP

Yes, I have the base game and one of the expansions.

The game has this huge problem of "whoever gets a head start on points will just win no matter what".

Case in point, you have to kill ouroburous or whatever it's called to end the game. You draw him randomly from the deck.
Some guy can just rack up mad points from killing all the little shit and no one can catch up even with the boss kill points.

I think you get 8 for killing him? But it's not enough if you are behind. Congrats, you just ended the game so the other player could win.

This happens all the time. Once someone gets a 10+ point lead, we just declare him the winner and shuffle up to play again.
I guess it's better since the games go faster now.

>all these hipster games
Where's Chess and Monopoly?

Nice. I picked up a copy of Fury of Dracula a couple of weeks ago and played it for the first time today. Fun game.

How's consulting detective? It sounds interesting but I'm not sure if I would like it. Seems like it would make me feel dumb.

Anyone here play pic related? Don't know if I should get it or not

>Settlers of Catan
That fucking board game is a spawn of Satan designed to destroy friendships

too bad it lists zoe quinn and anita as contributors

NO. Please be joking.

>Getting enough people sit down and play a board game with you in this age of ADD riddled children & adults

Holy shit this contributor list reads like a SJW meet and greet, Jesus Christ...

If you've ever read some Sherlock Holmes stories, there's that part where Holmes brilliantly solves the case and Watson is just utterly confused because Holmes saw 1 tiny detail and pieced together a man's life story. Every case is like that.

The game doesn't really reward you for playing like a detective, it rewards you for playing like Holmes and using logic that generally only makes sense in hindsight in order to solve a case in 10 minutes. It's a shame, since it's more fun to run around talking to witnesses and following leads. If you're ok with spending about 3 hours chasing down red herrings and making conjecture that turns out to be wrong anyways, it's really fun.

I a broke pleb and own Coup (no expansion), Forbidden Desert, and Citadels. Citadels is so good, but can be painful waiting for people who take a while to decide something since you can't do anything while they do.

Where are the weeb boardgames?

>shadow hunter

You're good in my book op

anyyone play silver tower yet? looks good

Tragedy Looper, if you mean "anything from Japan"
Channel A, if you want actual weeaboo.

My group of friends and I are on the last few games of Risk Legacy. It really becomes more of a chore later on.

Man, I can't wait for next month. Gonna play some spoopy games with friends.

Who /betrayalathouseonthehill/ here?

No one in my shitty country, let alone city plays them.

I don't think I want to "get social" with people who play board games t.b.h.

I did play board games frequently at one point, but the place I went to is no longer convenient and I am too lazy to set things up myself.

>board games
>cheap

I'm not a manchild

Can I suggest Terra Mystica, if this is about board games?

try the other legacy game pandemic legacy, it is fucken amazing compared to risk.

you gonna get the new expansion that comes out next month?

The reason I don't play board games is because when you get right down to it, 90% of board games are a very specific or small set of mechanics heavily focused on to such an extreme point that you basically will see everything the game has to offer you within 2 or 3 times of playing, and in life experience, most people will play a board game that many times before it goes on the shelf and will never be mentioned again except offhandedly as someone asks "Hey, what do you want to do tonight" before quickly being brushed aside as "Mmm, nah. Not [board game]."

Not only that, but board games often require a high initial investment from teaching the game to be played. Someone has to sit there and read the rules in their own off time, then sit there and teach the rest of the players how to play during the first game, and then FINALLY, people will be able to play the 2 times it takes to get the full experience out of the game.

...provided that they don't (un)intentionally cheat at the rules and that the guy who read the rules is smart and quick enough to police people to make sure they respect the game balance, and enough of an asshole to enforce people having shit happen to them so others don't whine about "inclusion" and "not fun to sit out!" type excuses to poor planning and inferior gameplay.

But no, OP. Go on and tell me all about how you find board games vastly superior to video games which offer infinitely more replayability just in terms of hours alone with none of the drawbacks involved in a board game, and all the benefits of fun for both single players and multiplayers. Go on. I'll wait.

Pandemic Legacy is next, we just won't let ourselves move on until we finish Risk first.

Some of us do play board games. We don't talk about board games because we're the video games board.

That said... is the Cthulhu version of Pandemic any different, or just a reskin?

>boardgame
>cheaper
Nice shitpost op
Hows cutthroat?
Im debating on whether getting that or bloodborne the cardgame. Whats scaring me off cutthroat are tons of expansion

Kind of jaded on board games right now. Everything is either expensive as fuck or a carbon copy of something else. Secret Hitler was a letdown, FF losing their 40K licence.

Only good thing I picked up this year was Tokaido.

I joined a meetup group and the only people who showed was myself and the couple who made the group. they were rude as fuck so I bailed.

both vidyas and boardyas have there ups and downs.

but good boardgames don't last for 2 or 3 games. I have a friend who buys a lot of em. and we've been playing tera mystica for the last 3-4 months, its awesome.

he recently got suburbia, which also seems to have great potential.

really those issues you applied to boardgames could just as well been set on vidyas. only replace it with patching times and getting burned out.

>cheaper than vidya

>Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu
What the fuck is this?

Not really a fan. Feels like it suffers from Munchkin Finale, where the guy who's in 2nd or 3rd place has a better chance of winning because everyone blew their good cards on stopping the guy in 1st. I'm told reducing the starting HP to 75 improves the game, but I haven't tried it yet. The whole game revolves around toeing the line, but you have no real knowledge as to what your opponents are capable of so it's just a complete guess every single time. It's fun the first time around, though.

I played secret hitler like 2 weeks ago, I enjoyed it but the game does not allow for that yelling and accusing other games like it does

>cheaper than vidya
Price is roughly the same desu. $20-$50 seems pretty standard.

Holy fuck, next time just say you have no friends cause you're a miserable cunt

>munchkin
All my casual frienda recommend me that game but i never touched it after reading how shit it really is. I bought cosmic encounter soon after and they stopped talking about munchkin
Thanks, i guess I'll just buy the bloodborne boardgame instead then.

sure....just drop in some friends right into my life and i would be happy to.

You also need the upper numbers of players (7 and up) or the game is stilted as fuck in favour of the liberals. It's 4 or 5 v 1, since hitler largely still has to play as a liberal himself. There's also very rarely any openings for getting information or deceit, which seems like a massive oversight. It'll prolly get better when people stop trying to play it like The Resistance, but that game still seems so much more dynamic, and lies have more power and weight because there's more facts you can twist/

Why is coup so great?

why do you buy board games when you could play them or make your own on vassal? It's online, you can do it already on any computer, and it's all free.

They take time to set up and people generally need to learn how to play them. Even if they learn, they're going to forget shit if it's their first time.

because bluffing games are great. My general plan when playing coup is not looking at my hand and just play normally. It throws people completely off most of the time.

I have a copy. The board game is really bad. I've played 100+ different board games over the past few years and Silver Tower is easily bottom 5. There is very little thought put into balance, or game flow, or much of anything. It also has some of the worst instruction manuals of any game I have ever played. The win conditions are hidden in fluff text, and I had no idea what I was even supposed to do until half way through my first game. You constantly have to reference tables and descriptive paragraphs between the two rulebooks, which slows down the game significantly. It tries to market itself as a narrative driven adventure game but the fluff is boring and nonsensical and poorly written. I can't recommend the board game to anyone for any reason.

That said, the models are typical good GW quality, so if you want the models to paint or for an AoS force, then go ahead and grab a copy. Otherwise stay far away.

If you're interested in a dungeon crawl board game, check out Descent 2.0 or Imperial Assault.

Wow, look at all of those games nobody has ever heard of.

Not a single copy of Clue, Monopoly, Sorry, Twister, Checkers, Chess, Parcheesi, Trouble, Chutes & Ladders, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Scattergories, or anything else that people know in sight.

Mansions of madness >>>>> Descent, especially new edition Descent. It may be way more balanced, but fuck me if it's half as fun as the older version.

is coup a sequel to resistance?

>cheaper than vidya
Barring the entry cost of a vidya device, not really. Unless you're playing Munchkin, odds are whatever you want to play is gonna cost $40-50 at least, more if there's supplemental content like expansions or units.
>more social than vidya
Sure, but you have to arrange people's schedules to show up at a certain time. What do you do when you're bored on a day off when everyone else is working or busy?
>retain value over time
Debatable.
>longer than vidya
Variable. Most are designed to last a single session, others like that insane WW2 hex sim will last a lifetime.

Both forms of media have their own strengths and weaknesses, and the best thing to do is to enthuse in both.

it just set in the same universe, the gameplay is completely different.

Is that a bad thing?

I've actually never played Mansions of Madness, didn't even realize it was a dungeon crawler. Are you talking about the first or second edition Mansions?

Yes. When you invite people over to play board games they'll look at your nerd shit, turn 360 degrees, and walk away.

It's fine to have some nerd shit, but you have to keep it balanced out.

>really those issues you applied to boardgames could just as well been set on vidyas. only replace it with patching times and getting burned out.

Not in the slightest. Almost none of what I said applies to even 30% of video games. Let alone the 90% of board games you can apply it to.

I'm glad you found one game you can autistically attach yourself to, but the rest of us have a little higher standards.

>You don't like what I like?
>YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS, CLEARLY!

>Everyone is the duke the game

I'm not sure, I don't own it, a friend does, but it's a blast. There's these neat dynamic puzzles that get generated that are like mini games players can tackle, and it gets around lack of good character progression-feel by keeping it mostly item based, more like Arkham Horror or something.

someone recommend a good co-op boardgame, preferably fantasy setting

I played boardgames a lot in Uni
Have quite a collection
Then I moved and no one would want to play or just not have my taste (hey user wanna play CAH????), dare I say even poor, undeveloped taste

Now I'm depressed

It makes sense considering the only reason people care about the game is Wil Wheaton seems to love it.

I owned the first edition and exactly zero people gave a shit. Then it appears on Tabletop and suddenly it's selling out everywhere. It's not like the game suddenly became good.

Love Letter, Tragedy Looper, and there was some Japanese company at GenCon working on translating indie boardgames.

you ever try descent 2nd edition? It comes with a companion app that auto does the dungeons and dm the game for you or something.

Eldritch Horror if you don't mind 4 hour games.

If he wants something close to the original Warhammer Quest game style, he'd be better served getting Shadows of Brimstone. Descent 2.0 is an asymmetrical skirmish game with a dungeon crawl theme, not an actual dungeon crawler.

Myth 2nd edition might also work. I haven't read the new rules yet.

Codenames and Settlers of Catan are sold at Target, son.

Codenames is literally Password with some changes to make it more of a game.

The sad thing is FF is losing their 40k license to make Runewars, and Runewars will get cancelled in a year because FF gets fuck all support to minis games that aren't X-wing.

this

>Tragedy Looper
Another game I may never get a group for
Shit's probably getting ripped up at my parent's place as I speak

>Elder sign

That game is for weenies. Grow up and get a real man's game, like Arkham Horror.

>less accessable than vidya
>less players
>less shelf space
>less single player games

>Arkham Horror
Completely obsolete now that Eldritch Horror is out. When I play a co-op, I want enough give to actually explore the game space, not just rush around putting out fires. (Unless I'm playing Flashpoint, of course.)

Have you guys played the walking dead board game? Actually one of the most fun games I've played with friends
>Easy to introduce
>People don't get board during introductions
>Good difficulty and tension
>People who die get to fuck everyone else over so they're not left out.

Anyone else have some unusual suggestions?

But I do. I want to get Tokaido later on as it seems decent and the artwork is nice.

try dead of winter if you're interested in a zombie game.

it usually goes on sale for 20 dollars or something every once awhile.

I play tabletop like D&D instead

I used to play a lot of board games during my time at university but now I got a job and all my neckbeard friends life hours away.
I tried to play those games with some other friends from work but the only effect that had is that they think I'm a weirdo now. Apparently playing other board games than monopoly is even worse than playing vidya now.

A honest question user: Do you play any of those games on a regular basis? I keep collecting board games but only play them one or two times a year tops because my shitty friends never want to try anthing new.

> Autism: The post
Sometimes I wonder why you guys are always so surprised about the fact that nobody likes you.

>playing a board game at 4am after work in total solitude

nice try op

>internet goes out
>electricity goes out

Because I don't like the social aspect

/tg/ as fuck all up ITT

We used to play board games regularly at friends place, but that collapsed in when one of them became a cunt, left, then the other 2 decided to move out rather than stay there. (fuck knows why even to this day)

Now everyone moved too far apart for regular meet-ups to board-game.
The most we do is every other weekend and simple card games rather than full board games. (cards against humanity a popular one, all expansions)

We combined some ideas from games together a few times.
We had Settlers of Catan and some Zombie dice roll game.
We replaced the robber with zombies, and the zombie dice had a gun or brain. (hit or zombie attack)
I forgot the rules we made for it though. We never really wrote them down.
But it added a lot of FUN on top of the already friend-destroying game.

We wrote our own haunts for Betrayal as well.
Mainly based on in-jokes and poking fun at each other.

>cheaper than vidya
Hah,no.
>longer than vidya
Not necessarily a plus. I had once a session of 3 fucking hours due to how inherently long the game was.

this desu senpai

There's an Etrian Odyssey board game, released only in Japan. people from /vg/ tried to translate it, but I think the project is canned.

No single player campaigns.

Also, hard to pirate.

>that one friend that always builds the Betrayal house in front of the door.

Best architect. Fuck you Wilboob.

fpbp

>3 hours

shit I think the first game of civ5 I played ran for 6 hours. You gotta take a day off just to play through a game on default speed.

I play DnD, Pathfinder, Blood Bowl, and Warhammer 40K.

These games together are definitely not cheaper than videogames (many good games are free - try a roguelike), but I agree that they are more social.

Board games can be really great, just yesterday I've been at a pub that has a relatively big collection of rentable games and had a pretty good time.
The thing is, I don't own any myself knowing that I wouldn't have anyone to play them with. It's one thing to come over to friends who have their own games and go to meetings centered around board games, but I don't really invite people to my own house.

Because that implies Cred Forumsirgins have friends.

Wouldn't warhammer alone cost shitloads if you're buying the figures/paints?

god forbid you actually buy the rulebooks for those games

>Parents bought me all kinds of board games when I was younger.
>Battle Masters, Hero Quest, Omega Virus, Star Trek TNG VHS board game, you name it.
>None of my friends were interested in playing any of them.

I still have most of them, but never really played any of them.

>Owning Vampire and TWO versions of Werewolf, but not Mafia.

Am I missing something? Is 'coup' the Mafia variant? Not heard of that one.

You can pause vidya tho. If you decide to pause a boardgame session chances are that you won't pick it up again.

This.

those friends

Fuck those friends. I was in a game club that may as well just have been a yugioh club, I bring my laptop in to see if anyone (mainly the people without decks) wanted to try a hotseat game, no one did.

I Never Get Laid: The Thread

They would always come over to play N64, though.

The best I could do was get them to play The Game of Life with me every now and then.

Yep, I definitely spent a lot of money on my miniatures for both Warhammer and Blood Bowl, for the paint needed, as well as all the necessary little tools for these two games such as sets of dice and measurement tools for area-of-effect skills and whatnot. But I've had fun with it for many years, and play Blood Bowl 'semi-professionally' in a league that meets up about once a week and has two seasons per year. My team is currently second place in Division 1, and I think might win this season provided that my primary ball thrower doesn't get killed. 'Harry the Tosser' is his name. That guy's a fuckin' star. I play Skaven currently.

But I do user.

What's a good way to get into dnd and those type of table top games?

buy the pathfinder beginner box and then find 3 friends, the 4 of you will then be well on your way

I play board games only in Tabletop Simulator because I have only internet friends. I do have a copy of Eldritch Horror that I played with a friend I worked with, but we both quit that job.

D&D 5th edition also has a starter box with reduced rules, a starter adventure guide and 5 premade characters.

I really want to buy Castlevania Symphony of the Tabletop, but i have 1 friend and we barely talk now.

Actually, digital videogame versions of boardgames can work really well. Talisman was an old favorite of mine and being able to play the video game version is really nice against the computer any time I like.

Pathfinder is more amusing to me than DnD as of late, and is probably easier to get into as well. You just need a very good DM, or someone passionate to learn to become one. You all need a basic understanding of the rules, but just having fun with it and for the DM to be a good story-teller and just creative overall is far more important than learning all the advanced little details about the game honestly.

I can also recommend Vampire: The Masquerade if you find that setting more appealing. It's easy to get into, except that the character creation can be a bit more confusing if you're not familiar with the theme - Especially for a DM.

I want to get into tabletop games, but the biggest problem is that none of my friends play and I feel like none of us would be good story tellers. How hard is it to learn to be a god dm?

Very late answer - But it's an ability that some people have naturally, and that some struggle with learning even if they try their very best. Of course you can practice to get better and better but if you are the kind of person who just draws a blank each time you need to write a creative story then it won't be easy for you.

Note that you can join an online game of DnD or Pathfinder on Roll20.net - Some hosts (DMs) allow random people to join and don't mind new players, but be warned that some games will struggle with players staying seriously committed and that there is a lot of sperglords around..

Board games > card games

We can all agree, right? Of course if it has both then nice.