Remember when a mediocre first-person shooter was almost the official X-Com reboot?

Remember when a mediocre first-person shooter was almost the official X-Com reboot?

The schadenfreude is strong with this game. I still enjoy laughing at its failure.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JdVb4UnqO7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it wasn't that bad, I played it. If it wasn't xcom it would be a solid b video games

i liked it

The earlier iterations looked a lot more fun than the joyless turd they shat out eventually.

Kinda like a Bioshock meets Fallout and Mass Effect vibe.

Shame it turned out poorly, the aesthetic is /fa/ as fuck, way more interesting than anything else in the series

This.

Friendly reminder that The Bureau is canon and the commander is being controlled by the ethereal

I liked the story, or rather the twist which was meta as fuck.
Rest of the game was pretty bland.

this

I liked it, best Men in Black game we've ever had.
And it was pretty good with the creepy vibes in plenty of areas like with the sleepers. But goddamn the AI was retarded

I actually liked it. It just needed some (A lot) polish. The story was actually pretty good as well.

It's a solid 75 in my book.

+ A non-generic approach to cover shooting. I like the idea of "hit chance" depending on distance, angle, height difference. Exposing and flanking is fine too.
++ Art direction
++ Good plot twist
-- But it left not explained stuff with main character.

-- Big flaw is heavy plot driving.
- This game could excerpt more core mechanics from traditional xcom.
- There are no randomly generated events here.
- No base management.
- No panic meter to sustain.
- Nothing to do with clearing the tracks of alien activity

This, the game was cursed with one of the most unfortunate developments I've ever seen. If only it were announced after the coinciding strategy game was, then maybe X-Com's fanbase would have more readily swallowed the concept of a story-focused, first-person shooter spin-off.

I wouldn't call the final product entirely joyless, though. The aesthetic is really satisfying, and the story twist was a nice thing to throw the way of the player. But I'll always feel bad for the team behind the game, and for the fact that we'll never see what the original concept design might have looked like in final form.

youtu.be/JdVb4UnqO7A

Would love to see a game inspired by this first iteration. Playing a Bioshock-esque game as a government spook investigating alien phenomena would be awesome, even if it dolled down the tactical element.

WHY DIDNT THEY JUST MAKE SWAT 4 WITH ALIENS

So is it cool to like XCOM and XCOM 2 yet? Everytime I say they're fun games someone has to shit on me for it, and yet everyone is still jazzed that the bureau got all of its funding pulled to make XCOM.

I personally liked all 3 but prefer terror from the deep most.

>someone has to shit on me for it
different strokes for different folks, the problem is you taking it more than a worth of salt and the other is the retard on the other end thinking opinions are facts.

Actually thought it was pretty good, they just should have made it not an xcom game

I would accept either this, or a spin on the simpler tactical style of Republic Commando.

Enjoy whatever games you want, dude. I agree with you that the atmosphere of TftD is the best of the original trilogy.

its breety alright, i remember your allies ai are dumb af at times

man i wish this game is made in usual xcom formula instead of third person shooter. we can have one of the mission is to assault downed ayys in nam protected by mind controlled vietcongs

>the commander is being controlled by the ethereal
To what effect, and why does he not possess any supernatural abilities like in bureau?

And why does he fight against other ethereals?

In what way does your claim even make any sense, or is relevant to anything?

remember when trico was the reason people bought PS3s

remember when the height of screenshot humor was 'there's a spy behind this guy who just killed me'

remember when we would have buckley threads

remember when the debate of the century was whether half life 1 or 2 was better

remember where half of the best years of your life went

okay game, enjoyed it

>Good plot twist
How does it affect the story at all, and since it does not, how is it a good plot "twist"?

You could leave it completely out and the story would not be changed except for the fact that this particular plot point is missing.

How is TftD? I loved me the hell out of OG XCOM, but the end months were grueling as hell. Soliders in endgame armor dying from single plasma shots n mind control and the like

Heard TftD was 10x as hard

what cartoon is this from again? i recognize it but don't remember the name

Marketing campaign made "hide the truth" the central thing for the game with all these censoring bars and "declassified" subtitle, meanwhile in the actual game it was just briefly mentioned in the outro, fucking lame.

>English doesn't have a word for schadenfreude/vahingonilo.

>Kinda like a Bioshock meets Fallout and Mass Effect vibe.
Don't worry, everything you just mentioned will be in Prey reboot

Play the other games filthy casual.

English doesn't have a word for ANYTHING.

A game in the original style got made later.

Sad thing is, the original concept looked fairly interesting with the weird geometry aliens and shit. If they'd just kept the fucking XCOM name off it we could've had an interesting new IP, but no, they had to cram an existing IP in there because marketing and then everything went to shit.

A modern remake didn't happen. Maybe I got it confused with XCOM.

It was completely retarded, the most generic boring cover based third person shooter around. I quit when the game pitted me against some flying spaceship that just oneshot me the instant I peeked from cover

isn't that about 5 minutes from the end

This. If XCOM was never mentioned it would have been more acceptable. Like in the end they decide they need to prepare for something like this happening again. And ends with 'Welcome to the XCOM initiative Commander'.

I liked this game simply for how it portrayed the setting. The story was a clusterfuck though. It had the makings of a decent plot, but couldn't really sell it in the end.

For real, Division 9 sounded amazing.

it's not an FPS though.
It's a shitty TPS mass effect clone because that was the popular thing. The FPS would have been infinitely better.

>the aesthetic is /fa/ as fuck, way more interesting than anything else in the series
Reminds me of another game.

I remember it started good, but got really samey really quick.

But user.... it IS an FPS

>mediocre first-person shooter
You mean a third-person shooter with effectively better Mass Effect combat?

Oh I know that one, I forget what it's called.

I want Ethereals to leave.

you might be right, I forgot about the black ink alien thingies

It's as if nobody Remembers It

someone else made a spiritual sequel, satellite reign I think it was called.

>When that game is in your Steam library and you have no idea how it got there

It's a good concept, but I think it would have been better if they put a sort of L.A. Noire spin to it, a story driven detective game about 50's FBI agents dealing with aliens in small town America, not just a FPS but a mystery game, where the player not only has to hunt and kill the aliens, but uncover whose a real alien, help towns solve disappearances and uncover the greater mystery.

Maybe it was a memento from a friend.

just looked it up, one of the original bullfrog guys made it.

Is Debloom dude lurking this thread? I have a question, the color correction is removed thanks to the mod, but whenever i sprint it's still there (stops whenever I'm not sprinting) Is there a way to disable it entirely?

>tfw not enough games set in the 50s-60s
Only games I can think of are Black Ops 1 and Destroy All Humans

It wasn't bad.

>Suicide
>80%

Ability cooldown, makes enemies commit sudoku

Bioshock
Fallout, if you count retro-future 50s-60s post-apocalypse
Stubbs the Zombie, also retro-future
The Godfather 2
Wolfenstein: The New Order

i would have liked it better as a nFPS spinoff instead of the 11th hour "tactical" shit it turned into

go realtime all the way, or go turn-based all the way. you fucking half-ass it and you end up with pillars of eternity