Can Id software go three for three in terms of their revivals with Champions?

Can Id software go three for three in terms of their revivals with Champions?

I just hope that the marketing is like Doom where it looked like shit but was surprisingly decent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tQ1pRHidRxo
youtube.com/watch?v=XEOnDV6qvp8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Quake Champions looks like Quake Team 3: Fortress Arena. If that's your thing, I'm sure you can find something to enjoy in it. I wouldn't count on it to revive the arena shooter, however. Or the Quake IP, for that matter.

Isn't it class based? Like, they're hiding it behind horseshit wording but that doesn't change it.

It's classed based in the sense that each character has an ability to use.

Other than that ability and slight tweaks to some stats, it is mostly the same with everyone starting with the same guns and have to find the rest around the map.

>the characters have differing stats and abilities
If that is not a class system then literally nothing is.

In most class based games I have played, they also have their own weapon sets only they can use.

It's class based but with less of the usual things that go with it. I was trying to get at that.

They'll casualize it slightly, remove all traces of mods, kill dedicated servers, add in some obnoxious modern elements/stylings, what-have-you.

Then modern players will play it and remember for the most part how games at a time were designed well, and it'll blow their minds and they'll parade it around like it's a perfect 10/10.

Then they'll drop it in a week.

Except this time Id doesn't even have the confidence to just call it Quake, so I sort of expect it to be an even worse reboot.

Champions actually looks like it might break the arena shooter cycle

>People are complaining that arena shooters are dead
>Someone is making a new one
>Potential new players don't care because it's basically Quake reskin with gimmicks added
>Old players don't care because it's basically Quake reskin with gimmicks added
>People are complaining that arena shooters are dead

I think the whole champions system looks different enough to make the game finally stand out but it's also not so drastic it breaks the formula completely. You may call the cops on me but I don't give a fuck.

If you are talking about D44M...

I don't know about others, but D44M is not a 10/10, it's a solid 8. The campaign is pretty great just like W:TNO, SnapMap is pretty good but doesn't replace modding, the multiplayer is no where near Id software standards but it is not god awful either other than the server issues.

And also they are still giving out the free updates as well, including Arcade mode in a couple of days.

I just pray to fucking god that Champions is like D44M where the marketing is just shit marketing and not an actual representation of the game.

They also confirmed a classic mode, without the class based abilities so spergs complaining have zero excuses, people who actually cares about the future of arena shooters are looking foward to this game, people who does nothing but complain about how arena shooters are dead but doesn't play them themselves are saddly always the most vocal.

>Can Id software go three for three in terms of their revivals with Champions?
I don't think so, they're going for multiplayer with Champions, and D44m's multiplayer was liquid shit. The New Order was made by a different team.

D44M multiplayer was outsourced to Halo 4 people, campaign was done by id.

Oh you mean like Quake Team Fortress?

some class systems have completely different weapon loadouts, movement speeds, and heath pools among the classes.

I always felt like the original TF had more charm than TF2, even if it lacked the polish.

Well, Champions doesn't have a campaign, so...

Is champions being done in house or outsourced like TNO?

No it won't be good and it's not comparable to overwatch, no classes just each character has a gimmick ability, slightly tweaked movement/air control
the biggest tell that it will be bad is that it isn't even using idtech but rather Saber's in house engine
it's just a cheap quake imitation
Doom and wolfenstein weren't good either

In house, Tim Willits is the project lead, I believe.

outsourced to saber interactive

What have they done?

bunch of shovelware bargain bin type games and the halo anniversary/MCC remakes
saber is a russian studio so it's ovbviously outsourced to make it cheaply and quickly
if id gave a shit about quake they would make it themselves not that they would do a better job imo

>Anniversary/MCC

That's... not too bad. Not the best but I found MCC (other than the horrible net code) and anniversary to be quite good.

keep in mind certain affinity also worked on that

Give me a Quake singleplayer remake/reboot/sequel but with eldritch shit and no stroggs and then we'll talk

Who did what parts?

People think they want the Arena Shooter genre back but they don't. Proof is nobody plays the ones that exists.

I know Quake multiplayer is far better than any other arena shooter but they could play the other ones while they wait (not overwatch but UT4, Reflex, Toxikk, etc.)

Champions are a great move.
As much as I would like to see a real "Quake V Arena" I'm sure it would be dead in a matter of months.

Yeah, sure id is looking foward to make a game for you and other 20 people.

Do you think they will had portals with different difficulty settings?

>Proof is nobody plays the ones that exists.
Wrong.

Anyone else noticed how Ranger shows more personality than Doomguy? isn't it supposed to be the other way around?.

If we took Doom guy as a whole, he has shown the most personality out of all the Id protagonists.

The faces in Doom 1+2 are obvious, but there is subtle personality in Doom 3 and D44M with his gestures and how he treats a situation.

Also Ranger had personality from the start. He was a pissed off bloke that had to go into creepy castles killing eldritch horrors.

It's ironic considering how he was supposed to be a self insert while BJ has an actual name.

"nobody" as in "very few people"
>inb4 "Wrong."

Depends on how well UT4 is made when its out of pre alpha

This is the part that still gives me hope that this game may be servicable. I was so let down with Overwatch. I mean who the fuck makes a non military multiplayer shooter that DOESNT have CTF. Personally I'm still waiting for Epic to get of their fucking asses with UT4. Development has been dragging its feet for too long. Not much you can do with a skeleton crew though.
Reflex is god tier CPMA gameplay but as a result only gods and those foolish enough to challenge them play it. No bots to ease into things like UT4 either. Just straight to the thunderdome.

Doomguy is a self-insert only because he doesn't really talk. Doomguy in 2016 Doom is less so because of his personality, but it's really what you'd expect of anyone in his situation so it works.

youtube.com/watch?v=tQ1pRHidRxo

Why are people butthurt over classes, there have been plenty of class modes for Quake and they were fun.

>who the fuck makes a non military multiplayer shooter that DOESNT have CTF
This is the thing i played UT mostly for, but good CTF games have been becoming harder to find because objective based gamemodes are the popular thing now, last good "CTF" match i had was on Toxikk Cell capture mode but the game already going back to it's usual " < 100 players" just after a week of going out of early acess and having a free version. UT4 seemed promosing at first but development has left many dissapointed and playerbase keeps decreasing, this is why i have more hope in something like Quake Champions, i don't care much about the class based gamemode but if the classic gamemodes turn out to be good it even has chance of giving some breath of fresh air to the competitive Arena shooter community. Also, Quake is still a somewhat big name.

It's not a revival, it's a fucking meme game

They can fuck off until they give either Quake 1 or the Quake 2 and 4 storylines the DOOM 2016 treatment

quake 3 is a good shooter that's only remembered so fondly because it had a strong competitive scene, the actual game isn't really all thatfun
just make a real quake 2 god damn it

Nah if they want to make it successful it has to become a terrible moba style clownfiesta, reason being that many pure arena shooters always end up being dead in about 2-3 months cause people would rather play games like TF2 or Overwatch where every single down syndrome kid can frag and as soon as they start playing something like UT and things of the sort they get frustrated cause they're getting their ass handed and stop playing altogether

Why did people start dropping the "class" name and started to use "heroe" or "champion"? Is the only difference the fact that a "class" is for a generic character that fills a role and "heroes/champion" a specific character with a personality that too fills a specific role?

Speaking of prealpha UT4 what's Cred Forums's thoughts on this?
youtube.com/watch?v=XEOnDV6qvp8

Quake 3 is not "good", it's the perfect arena shooter, there is a difference.

Even then, TF2 still uses "class" to define their characters which have the most personality out of the class based genre of FPS.

so its just really the MOBA influence, then?

>the actual game isn't really all thatfun
It gave born to Quake Live, which is still the most played arena shooter and at the end is just Quake 3 with new netcode and render. People have been playing Quake 3 in one way or another for over 10 years now, if thats not a sign of a game being fun, then i don't know what is.